Rondo and other PG's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Re: Rondo and other PG's

Rondo is a good point guard, but once he cal learn to shoot, then I would say he is elite. Last night, those two quarterback throws were definetly not needed. He threw long on both, and one when it was 5 on 4! Billups was playing 5 feet off him all night long! Please work on your shooting Rondo!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Wow guys! Rajon Rondo is our point guard and for that reason alone we should all love him. He is an all-star for crying out loud. You can't expect hall-of-famers at every position. Is he perfect? No, far from it. But he is a Celtic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickFox17. Show RickFox17's posts

Ok He is a Celtic but he is not playing like a Celtic and he is very inconsistent this year.  He is our PG but I think we can do better with a PG who can really shoot and penetrate better.  even the ancient JKidd has been consistent and made a big 3 point shot last nite.  I just want the best for our team and fans.  But we have to do with what we have right now.  But play Dwest as our PG  more and see what happens

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

Rondo is the key and I hated his game last nite. He was pretty much a ball hopper and did not attack the basket. As soon as he missed the free throws he stopped going to basket and started jump shots. The fact that Rondo took half a dozen shots before Ray took any shot is not acceptable. WE WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP FEW YEARS AGO BECAUSE RONDO WAS THE BEST DISTRIBUTOR AND ATTACKING THE BASKET. Mark this we are not going anywhere with Rondo playing like last nite. THEY WILL NOT MAKE IT OUT OF FIRST ROUND WITH RONDO PLAYING LIKE LAST NITE. They salvaged the game somehow which they didnt deserve to win. RONDO HAS TO GET HIS STUBBORN HEAD TOGETHER AND REALIZE WHAT HIS STRENGTH IS; ATTACK THE BASKET, USE QUICKNESS, GET THE FOULS ON THEIR BIGS (I DONT CARE IF HE DOES NOT SHOOT ALL OF THIS FREE THROWS), AND BE A DISTRIBUTOR. UNLESS HE DOES THESE WHICH IS ONLY CAPABLE OF WE ARE OUT FROM THE FIRST ROUND! I did not want to sound panicking but Rondo has to get his act together. There is noone more important than him and he has to play to best of his ability to make it all the way!  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's : Billups is not better anymore.  Nash is better.  Parker is better when healthy.  If you were talking about the next 5 years I'd take Rondo over Parker and Nash but definitely behind the 4 who have been mentioned, Rose, Paul, Westbrook, Williams and maybe a couple others, Curry or even Collison in Indiana maybe.    Assuming I'm forgetting a guy or 2, Both Felton and Lawson in Denver have good futures, that puts Rondo somewhere around 7-8 in terms of PG of the future.  
    Posted by Calmy[/QUOTE]

Jrue Holiday, John Wall, and Kyrie Irving has not even been drafted yet.....to name a few more.....

I read today that the Cs had their highest number of offensive rebounds in any one game last night.... maybe because Rondo missed two critical free throws that were total brick, a whole bunch of shots got blocked, and clanged a whole bunch of jumpers..... the more you miss the more offensive rebounds there are to be had.... if Rondo shot as much as some of his peers the Cs would lead the league in offensive rebounds.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

That's the funny thing about offensive rebounds, if you don't miss any shots you won't get any. If you miss a lot of shots, you'll get more chances for rebounds.

I will admit this about Rondo, the holes in his game are huge and teams have learned how to exploit them. I'm not sure how management feels about Rondo's future with the team, but he does need to improve in some facets of his game or he will be gone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Rondo is a good point guard, but once he cal learn to shoot, then I would say he is elite. Last night, those two quarterback throws were definetly not needed. He threw long on both, and one when it was 5 on 4! Billups was playing 5 feet off him all night long! Please work on your shooting Rondo!!!
    Posted by CelticFanLA[/QUOTE]

Well of course, all of the average point guards getting ready to enter their 6th season in the NBA after playing two years in college are still trying to figure out how to shoot..... lmao.......

Here is how it goes, many of Rondo's peers enter the league as 7s or 8s and become 8s or 9s or 10s..... Rondo entered the league as a 3 and has gotten to 6 mostly as a result of whom he is lucky to play with... so of course after 5 years in the league his learning curve is still up especially since his boss was a point guard.... lmao again.....

3 years ago John Lester won 16, so of course the next year he will win 20 - he won 15, well of course that means the next year he will win 22, he won 19, so of course this year he will eclipse Denny McLain and win over 30..... and of course in year 6 Rondo will learn how to hit the rim from more than 3 feet away..... um not so much.

Just because a player enters a league with significant weaknesses and a long long long way to be considered on par with the elite players at his position does not mean that it is a given that he will at some point he will.... and moreover.... there are players that will enter the league year in and year out that will eclipse him becuase.... drum roll please... they have more talent....  John Wall will end his rookie year with stats that are better than any of Rondo's 5 years well if you were able to adjust Rondo's 5 seasons trying to avoid shooting, shooting 3s, getting to the line and making free throws... if you throw out those simple facets, Rondo is still simple.... maybe when Wall is 21 he will catch up to Rondo at age 26....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Look, everybody pro and con Rondo keeps saying the same things over and over.

Yes, he can be dynamic and pile up the assists, get rebounds, wreak havoc and sometimes play effective defense.  His stats, other than scoring, FT and TOs are impressive.  We all understand the perspective that he is a "different" type of PG and he is be good for the Celtics team makeup (although I'm not at all convinced about that). 

However, if you want to be the best team in the NBA and win the championship(s) you cannot afford to have a player with limited skills that hurts the team with those deficiencies and plays at an inconsistent level that translates into added burden and psychological down periods for the rest of the team which collectively will result in lost games in the playoffs (almost like last night).  I would much rather have a PG that was moderately skilled in every aspect of the game than one who is aweful in some and great in others, because an opponent will capitalize on his awefulness and the team will be impacted. 

I firmly believe that Rondo will make it tougher for us to win. And this has NOTHING TO DO with being a Celtic fan or not...that is simply fan megalo ignorance.  It has everything to do with exchanging criticism and ideas on how we can be a better team and win. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickFox17. Show RickFox17's posts

[QUOTE]Look, everybody pro and con Rondo keeps saying the same things over and over. Yes, he can be dynamic and pile up the assists, get rebounds, wreak havoc and sometimes play effective defense.  His stats, other than scoring, FT and TOs are impressive.  We all understand the perspective that he is a "different" type of PG and he is be good for the Celtics team makeup (although I'm not at all convinced about that).  However, if you want to be the best team in the NBA and win the championship(s) you cannot afford to have a player with limited skills that hurts the team with those deficiencies and plays at an inconsistent level that translates into added burden and psychological down periods for the rest of the team which collectively will result in lost games in the playoffs (almost like last night).  I would much rather have a PG that was moderately skilled in every aspect of the game than one who is aweful in some and great in others, because an opponent will capitalize on his awefulness and the team will be impacted.  I firmly believe that Rondo will make it tougher for us to win. And this has NOTHING TO DO with being a Celtic fan or not...that is simply fan megalo ignorance.  It has everything to do with exchanging criticism and ideas on how we can be a better team and win. 
    Posted by Eldunker[/QUOTE]

I totally agre with you  ElDunk  and please read my previous post,  Lets play Dwest more and see what happens.  we may need to find a true all around PG next season unless he proves us wrong in the playoff only time will tell.  But I feel that if we had a decent PG we would not be losing to scrubby teams.  even Andre  Miller is doing a good job for the Blazers
    Jkidd could not shoot but now he has a decent jumper and made a big 3 point shot last nite.  I rememeber when we had Kenny Anderson running the point  with Pierce and Toine, I believed he was the last true point guard we had in a while.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's : Jrue Holiday, John Wall, and Kyrie Irving has not even been drafted yet.....to name a few more..... I read today that the Cs had their highest number of offensive rebounds in any one game last night.... maybe because Rondo missed two critical free throws that were total brick, a whole bunch of shots got blocked, and clanged a whole bunch of jumpers..... the more you miss the more offensive rebounds there are to be had.... if Rondo shot as much as some of his peers the Cs would lead the league in offensive rebounds.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

rondo's offensive rebounds came off: a glen davis missed jumper, a paul pierce missed jumper, and a jeff green missed jumper.

boston grabbed the rebound on 2 of rondo's 9 missed shots. overall, boston rebounded 41% of their own missed shots

if you've ever played basketball before, you'd know it's nearly impossible to rebound your own missed free throw without stepping over the line and causing a violation

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In off season trade rondo & green for collison & granger..End of discussion

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickFox17. Show RickFox17's posts

[QUOTE]In off season trade rondo & green for collison & granger..End of discussion
    Posted by tomobo[/QUOTE]

Thanks dude good trade.  i like it.

But lets see what happens though.  If rondo does not produce then he should be traded. It's only business and not personal

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]Point was he is going to play better and those two men aforementioned have a spotlight going..... Wait is this a Celtics board????? Where em I/???? Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick to my stomach
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

Sorry, there is very little company here for optimistic, fun loving pure Celtics fans.  I am with you.  Here is hoping that Rondo not only puts up a stellar performance, he is also the Finals MVP.  Lets go Getzo!!  And the Celts!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's : also behind Dwilliams, Westbrook, Nash, Parker, Billups, etc
    Posted by RickFox17[/QUOTE]

So much BS !!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I have most of the losers on these Rondo threads on ignore. Seems all they want to talk about is how Rondo isn't the best point guard in the league, and that somehow is then tied to the Celtics fate. BS. Already won a ring with Rondo. 

there is a stunning lack of objectivity. Here's a fair view:

Having seen Rondo this year, he has improved his jump shot and willingness to take it, which is also important. However he has not improved his free throw shooting and that makes him afraid to hit the hole, especially in late game situations. This hurts his overall game. 

As a result Rondo is the second class of point guards. 

The elite tier of point guards who are proven and at the top of their game is Rose, CP, Williams, and Westbrook. Nash perhaps given how well he has stayed in shape. 

Billups, no - too old now. Parker is now in that second tier, though it should be noted that Parker would be a bad fit with the Celts as he's not the kind of distributor we need. Felton I put in that second tier - he could prove to be better than Rondo but has a lot to prove.

Curry is NOT a point guard. Certainly far from a proven one. He's eventually going to be a 2 guard I believe on a team with a big point guard where he can be a sharpshooter and backup. Monta Ellis isn't a point guard either. Ellis may be a better all around player than Rondo but not a point guard. Collison in Indiana is way too much a noob to be compared to a player with a ring. I think John Wall may someday leap into that first group but he's not there yet. Meantime, Chris Paul is exceptional when he is on his game, all time great, but it's worth remembering that he is injury prone.

Rondo is definitely NOT in the top tier group, he's a significant step down. However he is firmly in the second tier group and fits very well with the current Celtics system. Just where Rondo ranks in this second tier will depend on his playoff performance. Right now he's somewhere in the 5-8 range in point guards in this league. Maybe Jason Kidd is still in there somewhere... Anyone who thinks he's in that first tier group is a homer, but anyone who thinks he's much worse than that is not appreciating his strengths and focusing only on his shooting. He's not a two guard!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickFox17. Show RickFox17's posts

I dont want Rondo to be the best PG but a good shooter and with a 3 point shot too so teams will defend him and can open up the floor spacing for others to score,  since you say Rondo is a second tier PG does that mean that he is not a true all star either. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

let's just say that rajon is going against the same guard who ABERLY BRADLEY lambasted for 22 points the other night. 

i'm not saying that rondo should go for game high points, but he should be able to SHRED the knicks tomorrow night with douglas being the PG.  run outs, hurry ups, you name it, pedal to the medal, and this game let's get JEFF GREEN and DELOONTE involved in the running aspect of the game. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

[QUOTE]let's just say that rajon is going against the same guard who ABERLY BRADLEY lambasted for 22 points the other night.  i'm not saying that rondo should go for game high points, but he should be able to SHRED the knicks tomorrow night with douglas being the PG.  run outs, hurry ups, you name it, pedal to the medal, and this game let's get JEFF GREEN and DELOONTE involved in the running aspect of the game. 
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

I think you'll find bradley did most of his damage against anthony carter

in any case bradley only got 2 assists. we can't win if rondo does that

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

The way Chris Paul owned the lakers is proof enough of what a good point guard can accomplish. He alone carried his team to victory without a PP, RA or KG to help him out. Rondo will never achieve that level of greatness. Plain and simple.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickFox17. Show RickFox17's posts

[QUOTE]The way Chris Paul owned the lakers is proof enough of what a good point guard can accomplish. He alone carried his team to victory without a PP, RA or KG to help him out. Rondo will never achieve that level of greatness. Plain and simple.
    Posted by celticsfanmx[/QUOTE]
      Wow  I agree but Rondo needs to use his assest which are his speed, quickeness and passing because people dont respect his jumper right now.  Go Celtics always and we will win tonite.  Rondo do your thing please.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

18 points already?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]I will admit this about Rondo, the holes in his game are huge and teams have learned how to exploit them. I'm not sure how management feels about Rondo's future with the team, but he does need to improve in some facets of his game or he will be gone.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]
    I get bothered by one-game reactionary posts such as this.

I am an idiot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Rondo sucks.... 30 points.... who does this guy think he is!

Glad he's my PG, not sure about you guys though. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Rondo actually played like he cared tonight. Good things happen when he is in attack mode. FINALLY!!!

The C's beat the Knicks w/o Amare and Mr. Big Shot... but that wasn't the C's doing.

I'm amazed that the game was still up for grabs with seconds remaining.

Pud

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

[QUOTE]The way Chris Paul owned the lakers is proof enough of what a good point guard can accomplish. He alone carried his team to victory without a PP, RA or KG to help him out. Rondo will never achieve that level of greatness. Plain and simple.
    Posted by celticsfanmx[/QUOTE]
    LOL

30, 7, 4, 2