Rondo and the 3-point shot

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Rondo and the 3-point shot

In response to Mployee8's comment:

What % made qualifies as "decent?"

Watch the defenders.... they'll let you know what qualifies as "decent."

Pud

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to ANONMD08's comment:

In response to Fiercy's comment:

I don't think Rondo will succeed in Stevens' system if he can't make open 3-pointers.

Rondo got away with it when Doc was coach.

I don't think Stevens' system will be successful if the PG passes up open 3-point shots.

It will be like oil and water if Rondo is not a decent 3-point shooter and he's playing in Brad Stevens' system.

We don't know yet. Let him play some before passing judgement on him.

Rondo will be great on the new system.He can penetrate and dishes out for the shooters or score.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpatscelts25. Show soxpatscelts25's posts

To everyone saying that the are going to leave Rondo to shoot wide open 3s all day, look at Jordan Crawfords 3pt percentage. The dude is shooting 31.8% from 3 this year and is a career 30.5% 3 point shooter. Rondo will be fine. You are knocking a guy who shoots .7 3 pointers per game. In my opinion, he will be right around Crawfords numbers if he took almost 4 per game like crawford has throughout his career. 

We all know rondo isnt a great shooter but if crawford could be somewhat successful in Brad's offense, I dont see why Rondo cant be that much better than JC. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Rondo can't shoot the three.  But the above poster is correct in saying neither can Crawford.

Rondo is a career 24 percent shooter from 3, Crawford is a career 30 percent shooter. The only real difference is that Craw jacks up threes with no conscience, not that he is good at making them.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Rondo can't shoot the three.  But the above poster is correct in saying neither can Crawford.

Rondo is a career 24 percent shooter from 3, Crawford is a career 30 percent shooter. The only real difference is that Craw jacks up threes with no conscience, not that he is good at making them.

But at least Craw jacks up 3s.

Rondo DOES NOT even average 1 3-point attempt per game! 

I agree that Craw jacking up threes makes defenders come out and play him which opens up the inside.  I have always thought that Rondo's inability to hit free throws was a much larger problem than his ability to hit the outside shot though.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpatscelts25. Show soxpatscelts25's posts

"How can Rondo penetrate when every team in the NBA knows that's what he will do.

Teams play Rondo for the drive because they know he's not a shooter.

Dish out for the shooters?

Dishing out to KG, Pierce, and Ray is not the same as dishing out to Sully, Green, and Bradley"

No doubt that KG, PP, and RA were better than sullinger, green and Bradley, but the last 3 are all pretty good shooters. give them a little credit. since JG, AB, and sully arent are good as the big 3 were, doesnt that mean a team would be more likely to leave them open to shoot when rondo penetrates? Ill compare the stats of the big 3 and the other 3 i just listed. Im gonna base it off of the big 3 career numbers vs the others season this year. just because the big 3 have a lot more years compared to the other 3 so AB, JG, and Sullys stats can be a little distorted. 

Ray Allen vs. Avery Bradley

FG%             3pt%                FT%

Ray Career    45.2            40.0                 89.4

AB Season    45.5             38.9                 72.3

AB career      44.4             35.6                 75.4

Yeah Ray smokes him in FT% but Avery is showing that he is a capable shooter. Capable enough to make an open shot when Rondo gets him the ball. 

Jeff Green vs. Paul Pierce

Fg%              3pt%              Ft%

Paul Career  44.6               36.9               80.7

Jeff  Season  43.8               37.2               77.2

JG career      44.8               34.9               77.9

Paul is no doubt better than JG. But Jeff's stats show that as a pure "shooter" his numbers are pretty close to Paul's

Jared Sullinger vs Kevin Garnett

FG%              3pt%              FT%

KG Career     49.7              27.7               79.0

Sully Season 43.7              27.7               76.4

JS career      45.6              27.3                75.7

Sully shot 49.3% from the field his rookie season when he wasnt attempting as many 3s as he is this year. So i think Jared is pretty comparable to KG when it comes to SHOOTING. 

So I think Rondo will be just fine when he penetrates to dishes to these 3. Jeff, AB, and sully are all capable shooters. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

rondo's challenge is to get himself up to speed and particularly to make himself indispensable in the eyes of stevens and danny. he'll embrace his task as larry would another slice of birthday cake. book it.

do not tell me his success will be dependent on his ability to make 3s. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpatscelts25. Show soxpatscelts25's posts

Hey Fiercy, How about you open your eyes and read the first line of my post. "No doubt that KG, PP, and RA were better than sullinger, green and Bradley, but the last 3 are all pretty good shooters." 

Did i say that the current celtics mentioned were future hall of famers? No i didnt. I compared there SHOOTING PERCENTAGES. I suggest you learn how to read. Cant argue with the facts, and those stats are facts. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

To nobody in particular...

Rondo can penetrate and dish to shooters.  Currently the shooters on this team are under utilized because there is nobody to dish to them.  Oly, Fav, Sully and Wallace can all knock down shots.  Also there will be a point guard now on the perimeter that can stop guards from blowing by him so our bigs won't be getting into foul trouble.

Many of you had Jordan Crawford earmarked as the new point guard of the Celtics or envisioned him at off guard, you're pointing to Bradley saying he isn't the shooter that Ray Allen was... all the players playing max minutes are doing so because they are being showcased to move. 

Crawford, Lee, Bradley eventually if he doesn't sign for a reasonable sum... they are shelving the players they want to keep, playing the young guys lightly to keep them in playing shape and playing the trade bait. 

Let that seep in and the picture will become more clear...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

What % made qualifies as "decent?"

33%

I think that's achievable for Rondo...

they say the ACL injury gives players the opportunity to work on their shot

Sections
Shortcuts