Rondo costly on defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Rondo costly on defense

In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense : I don't see it. Dunno what time span you are referring to with the improved shooting. He's shooting more... and missing more. FT% and FG% both off for the season versus career. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]
    The last two weeks or so he has been much better at the free throw line.  I have not checked it from a percentage basis, but have watched games and seen him be accurate unlike before at key junctures in games.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" You can't expect Rondo bring it every night like Keyon Dooling does."

LMFAO tompenny! Should have closed the thread after your comment. 

Petey is right that steals can be overrated, and clearly Rondo gambles too much. Plus let's be honest there are nights when his defensive intensity isn't there. 

But to say he isn't a good defender for his size is quite a stretch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Rondo costly on defense:
    [QUOTE]Well after watching the Sports Center highlights last night, which pretty much showed the entire game, I can see all those who say Rondo is not a good defender.  He could be......He definitely costs the team many points. I remember guys in high school used to ride the pine going for so many 'slap from behind steals'. Hey Rondo, try getting in front of your man and defending him by using your feet. Lazy defense for sure......
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

Duh...... reputation is much further from reality than most posters would like to admit.... the best defensive point guard in the league is his backup, do we need to say anything else.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense : The last two weeks or so he has been much better at the free throw line.  I have not checked it from a percentage basis, but have watched games and seen him be accurate unlike before at key junctures in games.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

The last 5 games he has hit 6 of 6. However, he is only going to the line 1.2FT/G... so thats off based on season's avg.

We've seen these mini spurts before.

It is also possible that as his shot improves incrementally, he may begin to draw a bit of defensive interest.. that could cause his shooting percentage to drop as he gets crowded.

Its possible but I've not noticed it.

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

In Response to Rondo costly on defense:
    [QUOTE]Well after watching the Sports Center highlights last night, which pretty much showed the entire game, I can see all those who say Rondo is not a good defender.  He could be......He definitely costs the team many points. I remember guys in high school used to ride the pine going for so many 'slap from behind steals'. Hey Rondo, try getting in front of your man and defending him by using your feet. Lazy defense for sure......you noticed, most think he is all world defensive payer, but yu r right.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Rondo costly on defense : Its interesting how some people want to criticize Rondo for just about everything even after a 6 steal night.... how about you look at the rest of the team.... Ray cant guard anyone and often is out of the defensive rotation, Pierce pretty much the same thing.... but yet I dont see your post about them?....Coming soon?
    Posted by CASox[/QUOTE]

They(Ray/Pierce) are aging daily CASOX. Ray's job is to hit the 3s. Pierce's is to be the leader(scoring and otherwise). And they do what they can do on D. They are not going for steals every time down the court. Rondo, he needs to do better. He is lazy. Having 6 steals does not make him a great defender. How many missed steals did he have? Constantly going for steals puts way more pressure on Ray, Pierce, KG and others to cover his ars. What amazes me are posters like you who can only see 6 steals. I am sure there is a little criticism for all the C's players, but if the Cs expect to build something around this guy then he needs to make some improvements. Simple.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]Snakeoil, you're right.  I don't really even criticize Rondo for that anymore.  It is what he does and I'm used to it. Last night (and every night for that matter), I can look at KG's defense and how he bends his knees and stays in front of Josh Smith not allowing him a step or anything.  And as a result, Smith doesn't get around KG and has to attempt a really difficult shot.  I then look at Rondo's defense and how he sort of stands straight up and "gives" his man that lane JUST SO he can attempt that swipe steal from behind.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but that's his thing. Bottom line is he was credited with 6 steals last night and, by whoever's classification of the steal, its a good night.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Good honest points Petey. And your other ones about drifting and undisciplined defense are spot on. Unfortunately, it makes the aging players work extra hard, and that really hurts the team on both ends. Even with having 6 steals, I would be curious to know how many he missed and how many points were scored due to it. Attitude is everything to. He could stand to change it. Maybe he should watch some film on Tiny Nate Archibald and learn some things.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense : They(Ray/Pierce) are aging daily CASOX. Ray's job is to hit the 3s. Pierce's is to be the leader(scoring and otherwise). And they do what they can do on D. They are not going for steals every time down the court. Rondo, he needs to do better. He is lazy. Having 6 steals does not make him a great defender. How many missed steals did he have? Constantly going for steals puts way more pressure on Ray, Pierce, KG and others to cover his ars. What amazes me are posters like you who can only see 6 steals. I am sure there is a little criticism for all the C's players, but if the Cs expect to build something around this guy then he needs to make some improvements. Simple.

Trust me, his defense is the least of his worries in terms of improvement.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense : Good honest points Petey. And your other ones about drifting and undisciplined defense are spot on. Unfortunately, it makes the aging players work extra hard, and that really hurts the team on both ends. Even with having 6 steals, I would be curious to know how many he missed and how many points were scored due to it. Attitude is everything to. He could stand to change it. Maybe he should watch some film on Tiny Nate Archibald and learn some things.

Unless and until his teammates confront R9R with his selfish, lazy tendencies, nothing will change.

The chances of that happening are near zero because R9R doesn't take criticism well... and his game suffers, hurting the team.

Its an awful dilemma for the Big Three... and for management too.

Pud

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense : Trust me, his defense is the least of his worries in terms of improvement.
    Posted by CASox[/QUOTE]

Trust me, it all starts with defense and continues with his poor overall attitude. And you can see it stemming into his offense. He complains more and more(to officials) about being fouled. He has already proven to be a loose cannon. After 6 yrs in the league, sorry, I would expect more growth and maturity. Although great at times, very inconsistent.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense : I totally agree with you but I've always been one to feel that the counting of steals is an overrated stat.  For example, Zaza had 3 steals and all of them resulted merely from him literally standing in the right spot where the ball ended up in his hands. Two of Rondo's steals last night were from horrible passes that were deflected and I think one was Stackhouse (or Johnson) who got in the air and, out of desparation, threw the ball and Rondo just happened to be standing right there.  Rondo was literally standing there and the ball came right to him.  Honestly, that is not an indication of that player's defensive prowness. When I look at steals, I look at the man-on-man face up defense applied by AB and how he takes the ball from the guy or pokes it away. What Rondo does alot is freelance and he ends up with alot of steals by being in the right place and in passing lanes.  However, that same practice often is the cause of defensive breakdowns because his man or his responsibility is left unguarded (see Joe Johnson's 3-pointer last night as Rondo closed 2 seconds too slow on a cross court pass by Josh Smith).  In other words, Rondo plays alot of undisciplined defense and that results in high rewards but also in many breakdowns. 
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]
    Rondo??  Undisciplined at times??
    Say it ain't so, Petey.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense : Trust me, it all starts with defense and continues with his poor overall attitude. And you can see it stemming into his offense. He complains more and more(to officials) about being fouled. He has already proven to be a loose cannon. After 6 yrs in the league, sorry, I would expect more growth and maturity. Although great at times, very inconsistent.

ur kidding right? so you must REALLY not like Kevin Garnett..or Paul Pierce..right? right??

your reaching.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense : Trust me, it all starts with defense and continues with his poor overall attitude. And you can see it stemming into his offense. He complains more and more(to officials) about being fouled. He has already proven to be a loose cannon. After 6 yrs in the league, sorry, I would expect more growth and maturity. Although great at times, very inconsistent.

If this is how you think, no I dont trust you.  Who says it all starts with defense? And no I dont see it stemming into his offense whatsoever.

If he would improve his jumper and FT, even his most ardent critics like Fierce would not complain at all about him. 

As to his maturity, I think he has grown for sure.  Can he grow and mature further? Of course, but lets not forget its not necessarily the number of years youve played, its also a product of age. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense : If this is how you think, no I dont trust you.  Who says it all starts with defense? And no I dont see it stemming into his offense whatsoever. If he would improve his jumper and FT, even his most ardent critics like Fierce would not complain at all about him.  As to his maturity, I think he has grown for sure.  Can he grow and mature further? Of course, but lets not forget its not necessarily the number of years youve played, its also a product of age. 
    Posted by CASox[/QUOTE]

Exactly, he is less than a year younger than Paul and Deron Williams and only 3 or 4 years older than Rose, Evans, Curry and maybe only 5 years older than Irving and Wall.... So of course his maturation process is still in process...... LMAOROTFL....

I have read perhaps every great novel ever written and I still cannot find the fascination with Hemingway but year after year in high schools all over the country people are reading the Old Man and the Sea......

I believe it to be true that only in Fred Flintstone's mind, um I mean Tommy Heinsohn, that Rondo is still a young player and a rookie in fact......

I think the Clippers are wondering to themselves if Paul will ever grow up...... and in Milwaukee they are all wondering will Jennings (is he 21 yet?) and Ellis ever simply act their age, and in Washington is Wall ever going to act like a 22 year old?  And the beat goes on......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense : Rondo??  Undisciplined at times?? Say it ain't so, Petey.
    Posted by breaktime[/QUOTE]

LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense : Exactly, he is less than a year younger than Paul and Deron Williams and only 3 or 4 years older than Rose, Evans, Curry and maybe only 5 years older than Irving and Wall.... So of course his maturation process is still in process...... LMAOROTFL.... I have read perhaps every great novel ever written and I still cannot find the fascination with Hemingway but year after year in high schools all over the country people are reading the Old Man and the Sea...... I believe it to be true that only in Fred Flintstone's mind, um I mean Tommy Heinsohn, that Rondo is still a young player and a rookie in fact...... I think the Clippers are wondering to themselves if Paul will ever grow up...... and in Milwaukee they are all wondering will Jennings (is he 21 yet?) and Ellis ever simply act their age, and in Washington is Wall ever going to act like a 22 year old?  And the beat goes on......
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

So you are actually trying to disparage Rondo by comparing him to Hemingway?  You really seem to be on the verge of a breakdown of sorts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense : So you are actually trying to disparage Rondo by comparing him to Hemingway?  You really seem to be on the verge of a breakdown of sorts.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

C'mon, man - you know Dud feels the Sun Also Rises with Rondo!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense : Exactly, he is less than a year younger than Paul and Deron Williams and only 3 or 4 years older than Rose, Evans, Curry and maybe only 5 years older than Irving and Wall.... So of course his maturation process is still in process...... LMAOROTFL.... I have read perhaps every great novel ever written and I still cannot find the fascination with Hemingway but year after year in high schools all over the country people are reading the Old Man and the Sea...... I believe it to be true that only in Fred Flintstone's mind, um I mean Tommy Heinsohn, that Rondo is still a young player and a rookie in fact...... I think the Clippers are wondering to themselves if Paul will ever grow up...... and in Milwaukee they are all wondering will Jennings (is he 21 yet?) and Ellis ever simply act their age, and in Washington is Wall ever going to act like a 22 year old?  And the beat goes on......
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

Speaking of growing up....how old are you?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense : C'mon, man - you know Dud feels the Sun Also Rises with Rondo!!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

Rondo need not ask himself for whom the bell tolls.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense : If this is how you think, no I dont trust you.  Who says it all starts with defense? And no I dont see it stemming into his offense whatsoever. If he would improve his jumper and FT, even his most ardent critics like Fierce would not complain at all about him.  As to his maturity, I think he has grown for sure.  Can he grow and mature further? Of course, but lets not forget its not necessarily the number of years youve played, its also a product of age. 
    Posted by CASox[/QUOTE]

CASOX. I respect your opinions. Some I agree with of them and others I don't. Simple. He lacks maturity. It hurts his game. Just look back when Perk was traded. He simply disappeared. I think he could be the best at his position, but he just does not give equal effort night in and night out. If I had his natural talents, you better believe I would be working on my weaknesses, jump shots and free throws. It just seems he shows up when he wants too. That is all I am saying....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

[QUOTE]Rondo had 6 steals last night.  I am not sure if you are aware but that is considered good.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]  Rondo is a super defensive point guard, just read about him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo costly on defense : CASOX. I respect your opinions. Some I agree with of them and others I don't. Simple. He lacks maturity. It hurts his game. Just look back when Perk was traded. He simply disappeared. I think he could be the best at his position, but he just does not give equal effort night in and night out. If I had his natural talents, you better believe I would be working on my weaknesses, jump shots and free throws. It just seems he shows up when he wants too. That is all I am saying....

Respect your opinion as well and I acknowlege and agree with you on his moodiness.

24. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts