Rondo for Gasol - Mitch Kupchak

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Rondo for Gasol - Mitch Kupchak

In Response to Re: Rondo for Gasol - Mitch Kupchak:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo for Gasol - Mitch Kupchak : Restricted free agent... Sun's can match any offer.
    Posted by Accension13[/QUOTE]
    I wouldn't let him go.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]I do hope the suggestion of Aaron Brooks is followed up on.  Although I don't see why the Knicks, Lakers and Clippers won't be all over him. The Knicks are in love with Jeremy Lin now and are a sub-.500 team. The Lakers would have Rondo starting and Fisher as the backup, if the Gasol trade gets consumated. The Clippers already have Chris Paul and Mo Williams at point guard. The Celtics could offer Brooks the most playing time because he'd be their starter. The Suns, who retain restricted free agency rights over Brooks, might sign him for more than the minimum salary as a backup, but even if they do, I think they'd look to move him for a draft pick. Phoenix isn't competing this year and Brooks would receive more playing time in Boston where he wouldn't be stuck behind Steve Nash. Maybe the Celtics could trade Keyon Dooling and a second round draft pick for him. That way the Suns get something out of Brooks, even if it isn't particularly significant.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]
    In that case I hope you would be right. Brooks is lightning fast and can shoot the lights out.  Haven't checked but he must be 26 or 27 which is also good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Brooks is lightning fast and can shoot the lights out.  Haven't checked but he must be 26 or 27 which is also good.

I'm a fan of Brooks too. That's why I support the Rondo-Gasol trade, if Brooks becomes the new Celtics point guard. He turned 26 a couple weeks ago, the Suns might be down on him because he chose to play in China for most of this year, and he'd possibly be an upgrade over Rondo, at least on a team like the Celtics, with his superior shooting and equivalent speed. He averaged just under 10 points and 4 assists last year in 18 minutes per game. I could easily envision him averaging around 16 points/8 assists in Boston. That would be more than sufficient.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

[QUOTE]I do hope the suggestion of Aaron Brooks is followed up on.  Although I don't see why the Knicks, Lakers and Clippers won't be all over him. The Knicks are in love with Jeremy Lin now and are a sub-.500 team. The Lakers would have Rondo starting and Fisher as the backup, if the Gasol trade gets consumated. The Clippers already have Chris Paul and Mo Williams at point guard. The Celtics could offer Brooks the most playing time because he'd be their starter. The Suns, who retain restricted free agency rights over Brooks, might sign him for more than the minimum salary as a backup, but even if they do, I think they'd look to move him for a draft pick. Phoenix isn't competing this year and Brooks would receive more playing time in Boston where he wouldn't be stuck behind Steve Nash. Maybe the Celtics could trade Keyon Dooling and a second round draft pick for him. That way the Suns get something out of Brooks, even if it isn't particularly significant.

Outside of sentimental reasons, Phoenix will have very little motivation to keep Nash. They are over the cap and going no where fast. They need to use Nash as an asset to get picks. Brooks is a cheaper younger option at PG. Lottery teams will not trade there picks, so likely they will have to deal with playoff teams. Assuming Boston gets Gasol, I think they should be focusing on getting Nash for there late round picks

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Outside of sentimental reasons, Phoenix will have very little motivation to keep Nash. They are over the cap and going no where fast. They need to use Nash as an asset to get picks. Brooks is a cheaper younger option at PG. Lottery teams will not trade there picks, so likely they will have to deal with playoff teams. Assuming Boston gets Gasol, I think they should be focusing on getting Nash for there late round picks

In a post-Rondo scenario, the Celtics would have to trade Ray Allen, or give up all of their bigman depth in Wilcox, Bass, plus throw-ins to accommodate Steve Nash's salary. Even if you like the idea of trading Allen for Nash, I don't see how that benefits the Suns.

I'd target Aaron Brooks as my first choice. I'd also monitor the situation with Jose Calderon in Toronto. He's a very good offensive player and has experience playing with Gasol for Team Spain. Calderon makes too much money for the Celtics to trade directly for him, but maybe the Raptors would buy him out. A third possibility is Jarrett Jack in New Orleans.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

[QUOTE]In a post-Rondo scenario, the Celtics would have to trade Ray Allen, or give up all of their bigman depth in Wilcox, Bass, plus throw-ins to accommodate Steve Nash's salary . Even if you like the idea of trading Allen for Nash, I don't see how that benefits the Suns. I'd target Aaron Brooks as my first choice. I'd also monitor the situation with Jose Calderon in Toronto. He's a very good offensive player and has experience playing with Gasol for Team Spain. Calderon makes too much money for the Celtics to trade directly for him, but maybe the Raptors would buy him out. A third possibility is Jarrett Jack in New Orleans.

Excellent point... I was not suggesting giving up Allen for Nash, but I was thinking of a Wilcox/filler + picks to get it done. I think Phoenix would have interest in acquiring the picks; however, I agree that significantly compromises the bench depth. Aaron Brooks is an excellent choice, but I dont think the Sun's will give him up. Recent blogs that I have read say that Phoenix is willing to match offers to maintain him.

Jarret Jack is a good option if he becomes available. I dont like the idea of Calderon. He is just OK offensively, but he is terrible on D.

If Rondo is traded for Gasol, the C's will have their work cut out for them finding a PG that could help them this year

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFanOutWest. Show LakerFanOutWest's posts

This is good stuff.  Fun to see the Celtic faithful ALL over the place. 

As a Laker fan, I would pull the trigger on the trade.  We desperately need a point guard, and unless we get Williams from NJ next year (we can't count on that), Rondo would be excellent in terms of penetration and ball movement.  Who knows, perhaps we could teach him to actually shoot on the outside.  Forget Fisher - he's a good reserve, especially in clutch moments, but he's terrible defensively in his old age. 

Pau has somehow changed.  Whatever caused his poor - make that pathetic play last year in the playoffs in all games (rumors about on why - Shannon Brown cheating with Pau's girlfriend, etc), he just isn't the same. 

LA sucks now - even you guys - fossil's and all - seem to be a better team.  We need to do something.  And yes, trading with the Great Enemy is a bitter pill, if we never face each other in the Finals because we both suck - that's not a better alternative.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Lakers would have to throw in their #1 pick , or at least give the Celtics the option of taking the higher of the two teams picks....

Yeah, let's be careful what we wish for....Rondo has the heart of a lion
     And how many years is Gasol's contract ?

Wouln't want him for more than three years , two might be better

The Lakers would HAVE t throw in their #1 for Danny to even consider this

Would rather have Gasol than Amare ANYDAY ! It's not like Gasol doesn't have game, at his worst, he's 15 and 8

Then rent Agent Zero for the season and roll the bones....?

Careful Danny....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Lakers would have to throw in their #1 pick , or at least give the Celtics the option of taking the higher of the two teams picks.... Yeah, let's be careful what we wish for....Rondo has the heart of a lion  And how many years is Gasol's contract ? Wouln't want him for more than three years , two might be better The Lakers would HAVE t throw in their #1 for Danny to even consider this Would rather have Gasol than Amare ANYDAY ! It's not like Gasol doesn't have game, at his worst, he's 15 and 8 Then rent Agent Zero for the season and roll the bones....? Careful Danny....
    Posted by PHX85014[/QUOTE]

Well, he will only have 2 years left after this year.  The numbers don't work.  It would have to be something like Gasol and Goudelock for JON and Rondo.  They do need to give us a pick, as they are getting the younger player!!

Probably be vetoed - LOL!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I think this thread makes some really great points.  I have thought about this trade however and think it is not going to happen.

The Lakers with Kobe, Odom, and even Gasol were built for a Rondo like point guard.  The problem is Odom and Gasol will not be there.  Bynum will be, who plays like a guy in slow motion on the court.   

Trading Gasol will really weaken them on the offense and more importantly make it impossible to get DH.  Bynum alone will no do it, trolls will say otherwise but it will never happen. Believe it,  that the Lakers are not deterred by Howard's recent comments.  They will need Gasol and Bynum to make that trade work.

Rondo with Howard and Bryant would get the Lakers going big time, alas it can't happen as Rondo will not be available.  They have to get Dwight with their two seven footers. Maybe a three way trade could make it happen but I doubt it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slipslidingaway. Show slipslidingaway's posts

This is what the Lakers will ask for.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]This is what the Lakers will ask for. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6w6cvab
    Posted by slipslidingaway[/QUOTE]

NO WAY is that a good trade for us!!!

They can't have Bass, end of story!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Only an absolute moron would make that trade including Bass.  I don't believe it for a second. The Lakers would have to give us much more in return. Luke Walton is junk. This trade as I said in my last post on examination will never happen. 

I firmly believe now this is all Laker noise to go for what they really want which is DH.  It is desperate and crazy. No one trades a 25 year all star point guard with another 26 year star sixth man for 31 year old big man who they want to dump due to deteriorating skills and too high a salary. It will never happen.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slipslidingaway. Show slipslidingaway's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo for Gasol - Mitch Kupchak : That's what they'd want ... Rondo & Bass ... a PF to replace the lost scoring of Gasol.
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

I am not suggesting they would or should get that, but that is what they are going to ask for. I do think that when trading big for small, the big brings back more value, even the when the small is younger. Even at age 31, Gasoft is an elite big man who can do a lot of things. I have been thinking of better ways to aquire a player of Gasol's caliber, what would be a better move? Where could the Celtics find a big man that would improve the area that needs improvement the most?

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slipslidingaway. Show slipslidingaway's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo for Gasol - Mitch Kupchak : Chris Kaman!
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

He will come cheap at least. But he is a big drop off from Gasol.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo for Gasol - Mitch Kupchak : I agree. No way Ainge will take back Walton. In this deal, the Lakers have no leverage. Pau Gasol is older and his contract is not cap friendly. If the Lakers make it hard for Danny Ainge, he will just tell the Lakers that he will go after Chris Kaman instead. 
    Agreed we have all the leverage.  Rondo is a more tradeable asset no matter what trolls under cover are saying here.  This idea that the Lakers have us salivating over Gasol is fantasy.  Guess what Laker fans? As a team currently you stink.  Really you stink.  DH is balking. White is black your world is spinning out of control.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slipslidingaway. Show slipslidingaway's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo for Gasol - Mitch Kupchak : If we want to get value we have to give value in return.  Even Kaman is not that cheap, the Hornets are asking for a 1st round pick and a young player in return. 

Gasol could get the Celtics into contention again, even without Rondo. Kaman is just another big man on the roster. 

Gasol can effectively play both big positions, offensively and defensively, high level passing and rebounding, and that flexibility to play both positions at that level makes him something the Celtics need. 

The fact that Kamam comes at the price that he does, tells you all you need to know about swapping a big for small. Still relatively cheap considering the potential haul a true seven footer the caliber of Gasol could get in a trade.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts