Rondo for Gasol - Mitch Kupchak

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Re: Rondo for Gasol - Mitch Kupchak

In Response to Re: Rondo for Gasol - Mitch Kupchak:
    In Response to Re: Rondo for Gasol - Mitch Kupchak : Lakers desperately want to shed contracts. I mean they released Caracter, a guy only earning 300k this year. The reason for that is the Lakers are luxury tax payers. 300k will equal 600k if you include the tax.

Actually I don't read it that way.  I see this as an indication that a one for multiple trade is going to happen.  Given a roster limit of 15, some players will need to be cut.  Why eat their cost?  This is just a common sense move and makes me feel that a trade is imminent.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo for Gasol - Mitch Kupchak : We need Dooling's experience for the playoffs. Bradley is not ready for the playoff pressure. Our bench is doing well, Bass, Wilcox, and Pietrus have to stay. Wilcox is getting better every game and he provides a lot of energy at the C position. I think it's best if we keep our bench intact and only upgrade the starting 5. JO will be useless if we play teams with no true Centers like the Heat and Bulls.
    Posted by Fiercest34

Fierce, can't have your cake and eat it too!!  What is the point in acquiring Gasol and playing him 24 mins.  The Celts will give more minutes to their better players.  That just does not leave room for Wilcox and Bass.

Dooling is not the answer at point.  I don't mind playing 4 on 5 on offense.  It will be a major upgrade over the 3 on 5 that we play now.  Dooling is not the answer at 1.  And the Bradley-Moore combination is not the answer either.  It would have worked if Ray was a better ball handler.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

JO is too valuable in the playoffs..He IS our center...He cloggs the middle like no other, contests every shot..just watch when sits on the bench, and you can se the other teams starting to get to the hole for easy baskets..He is the MAIN reason we are such a great defensive team. Because, if the other team breaks down our defense, there is always some one back there to contest. First KG, if he is in position to do so, but for sure JO usually ends up contesting or taking the charge...much like Perk did. He was not appreaciated much when he was here either. Our Centers don't need to score to be effective..We are a defensive team...Gasol is more of an offensive minded player..He will not make up for JO..

I hate to say it, but Bass is the odd man out...I really like his game..weree getting an upgrade at his position...not a true center...you don't get those very often..unless Kaman is still there..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

If the C's do trade Gasol for Rondo I do not think the C's should include any draft picks. The C's will be desparate for a PG. I think a trade with Phonix could still be a possibility afterwards. A package of Dooling, Wilcox or JO (whoevers left after Gasol trade), and two #1's (one this year and next) could get it done.

Nash,Allen,Pierce,Garnett, Gasol. Thats nice! Very old, but a nice team. The team would still have Pietrius, Bass, and the young guys coming off the bench.

The other good thing about acquiring Nash is you dont immediately sacrifice financial flexibility going forward

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Alright, I'm sold. The Celtics need Gasol more than they need Rondo. They already proved they could win just fine without Rondo, plus an inside presence is what wins championships.

Make two deals.

Deal #1: Rondo, O'Neal to Lakers; Gasol and draft pick to Celtics.
    Deal #2: Sign Aaron Brooks out of China (soon to be a freee agent) for PG.

Roster

C Pau Gasol
    PF Kevin Garnett
    SF Paul Pierce
    PG Aaron Brooks
    SG Ray Allen

C Chris Wilcox
    PF Brandon Bass
    SF Sasha Pavlovic
    PG Avery Bradley
    SG Mickael Pietrus

C Greg Stiemsma
    PF JaJuan Johnson
    SF Marquis Daniels
    PG Keyon Dooling
    SG E'twaun Moore

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

Teams that have Kobe and Melo are teams that are desperately needing Rondo. The Celtics' Big 3 are all willing passers, sometimes overpassing. What the Celts need is low post scoring and rebounding. The Bulls and Heat would look like midgets if they can't double team anyone on the Celtics. I mean how do you defend a team with 5 players, on the court, that can shoot from the outside and score from the inside? 
    Posted by Fiercest34

Interesting that you mentioned Melo and NY. I was thinking if LA does get into serious negotiations with The C's for Rondo, NY may be soon to follow. I still like Gasol better than Amare, but it could give C's leverage in negotiations. The only advantage I see right now in negotiating with NY is the possibility of them throwing Shumpert into the deal. He would be C's answer at PG

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

JO is too valuable in the playoffs..He IS our center...He cloggs the middle like no other, contests every shot..just watch when sits on the bench, and you can se the other teams starting to get to the hole for easy baskets..He is the MAIN reason we are such a great defensive team. Because, if the other team breaks down our defense, there is always some one back there to contest. First KG, if he is in position to do so, but for sure JO usually ends up contesting or taking the charge...much like Perk did. He was not appreaciated much when he was here either. Our Centers don't need to score to be effective..We are a defensive team...Gasol is more of an offensive minded player..He will not make up for JO.. I hate to say it, but Bass is the odd man out...I really like his game..weree getting an upgrade at his position...not a true center...you don't get those very often..unless Kaman is still there..
    Posted by Ortiz123

Completely agree!  What we are looking to do is to score more points than the other team.  Bass, for all his scoring, is not a good defender.  If the Celtics get Gasol, the rotation might get limited to the following players:

1) Gasol
    2) KG
    3) PP
    4) Ray Allen
    5) Bradley
    6) JO
    7) Pietrus
    8) Moore

I will be very happy with this.  My only concern will be handling the pressure in the half/open court.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

I absolutely think the C's would be contenders with Gasol for Rondo. More than they are now. And as for the fans, he would be accepted right after notching his first double-double, which would be very quickly.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GinaM1977. Show GinaM1977's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo for Gasol - Mitch Kupchak : Completely agree!  What we are looking to do is to score more points than the other team.  Bass, for all his scoring, is not a good defender.  If the Celtics get Gasol, the rotation might get limited to the following players: 1) Gasol 2) KG 3) PP 4) Ray Allen 5) Bradley 6) JO 7) Pietrus 8) Moore I will be very happy with this.  My only concern will be handling the pressure in the half/open court.
    Posted by prakash

Very few teams pressure the ball on the other side of halfcourt.
    Boston probably does the best job out of any team in the league.
    It seems like on almost every posession teams have 7 or 6 on the shot clock when they get a play going due to Boston's pressure on the pg.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo for Gasol - Mitch Kupchak : Very few teams pressure the ball on the other side of halfcourt. Boston probably does the best job out of any team in the league. It seems like on almost every posession teams have 7 or 6 on the shot clock when they get a play going due to Boston's pressure on the pg.
    Posted by GinaM1977

Yes, it is all about tradeoffs.  Discovering the formula that best maximizes your chances fo winning.  The Celts don't crash the offensive glass.  Instead, their bigs drop back to allow the guards to pressure the ball.  They are a weaker defensive rebounding team.  But they are excellent at guarding the shot.  The rotations to guard the shots leave them vulnerable to rebounding.

I am not worried about the regular season.  In the playoffs, other teams will focus on this weakest point and will try their best to exploit it.  They will pressure hard if it works for them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

I absolutely think the C's would be contenders with Gasol for Rondo. More than they are now. And as for the fans, he would be accepted right after notching his first double-double, which would be very quickly.
    Posted by basketbert

Rondo and Gasol both need a change in scenery to be happy campers.

And the fans know its coming.

Pud

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

I'm sorry. I don't like this idea. Pau is too similar to KG we already have enough power forwards on this team. Secondly. We saw last year how a major late season trade impacted chemistry a big part of it was we never had time to integrate the new pieces in this compressed schedule full of back to back to backs how are we going to do it this year? 

I'd be very WARY of this swap. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The Celtics, as currently constituted, cannot get past Miami. Realistically, they'd lose to Chicago too. We don't even know if they're good enough to beat Indiana, Philadelphia, or under-.500 New York in a 7 game series. We do know that the Celtics went 6-2 without Rondo. We also know that the team with the best bigs usually wins the championship.

Gasol is a much tougher player than in 2008. He bangs plenty and he knows how to finish, unlike Garnett who keeps missing open lay-ups. Also keep in mind that Gasol is the same age now that Garnett was when he first came to Boston. There's no reason to think that Gasol doesn't still have 2-3 excellent years left in him. Gasol is an automatic double-double. Garnett doesn't rebound anymore on a consistent basis but is still a good defender.

As Fierce points out, Garnett and Gasol would be the best 4-5 combo in the Eastern Conference, if not the NBA. The Celtics would still be able to bring Wilcox, Bass, and Johnson off the bench, along with Stiemsma who reminds me of Jermaine O'Neal with respect to shotblocking.

The only reason, in my mind, not to make this deal is if the Celtics feel confident in their ability to sign Dwight Howard as a free agent. Howard and Rondo would be a strong nucleus for the future and I'm not sure if the Celtics could afford Howard if they're paying Gasol $18 million a year for the next two seasons.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I'm sorry. I don't like this idea. Pau is too similar to KG we already have enough power forwards on this team. Secondly. We saw last year how a major late season trade impacted chemistry a big part of it was we never had time to integrate the new pieces in this compressed schedule full of back to back to backs how are we going to do it this year?  I'd be very WARY of this swap. 
    Posted by jtkl

I am wary and shell shocked from what happened last year with Perkins.  We have to remember Rondo's lack of professionalism was what hindered the transition.  His poor play and Shaq's injury had a multiple effect so we don't know which made things worse.  Gasol's professionalism will test things he was absent in the playoffs last season so there is real risk. I do hope the suggestion of Aaron Brooks is followed up on.  Although I don't see why the Knicks, Lakers and Clippers won't be all over him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo for Gasol - Mitch Kupchak : I am wary and shell shocked from what happened last year with Perkins.  We have to remember Rondo's lack of professionalism was what hindered the transition.  His poor play and Shaq's injury had a multiple effect so we don't know which made things worse.  Gasol's professionalism will test things he was absent in the playoffs last season so there is real risk. I do hope the suggestion of Aaron Brooks is followed up on.  Although I don't see why the Knicks, Lakers and Clippers won't be all over him.
    Posted by concord27

Restricted free agent... Sun's can match any offer.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

DTL - don't trust (the) lakers!!!

Gasol will pout and go back to Spain!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I do hope the suggestion of Aaron Brooks is followed up on.  Although I don't see why the Knicks, Lakers and Clippers won't be all over him.

The Knicks are in love with Jeremy Lin now and are a sub-.500 team. The Lakers would have Rondo starting and Fisher as the backup, if the Gasol trade gets consumated. The Clippers already have Chris Paul and Mo Williams at point guard. The Celtics could offer Brooks the most playing time because he'd be their starter.

The Suns, who retain restricted free agency rights over Brooks, might sign him for more than the minimum salary as a backup, but even if they do, I think they'd look to move him for a draft pick. Phoenix isn't competing this year and Brooks would receive more playing time in Boston where he wouldn't be stuck behind Steve Nash. Maybe the Celtics could trade Keyon Dooling and a second round draft pick for him. That way the Suns get something out of Brooks, even if it isn't particularly significant.

Sections
Shortcuts