Rondo Gets it! - Mystery No More!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Rondo Gets it! - Mystery No More!

-

Not long ago I wrote a post here called Rondo Still a Mystery , well, thanks to a great piece of writing by one estimable J-Mac of ESPN Sports we now know some of the answers, and the cloud of mystery begins to rise.

I have long called for Rondo to push the ball up, even after made baskets, to push the pace constantly, that is what makes the Celtics go, what leads to success, easy baskets in transition, trailing 3's from Ray & Paul, and easy jumpers for KG from the elbows or the baseline.  Ball movement predicated on pushing the ball up before the defense gets set. Inside out ball movement, easy baskets for Rondo or kicking the ball out to a shooter.

It seems that now he gets it.

"His coach, his general manager and his teammates tried to coax him back on track. They all told him the same thing: When you push the ball, you are better and the team is better."

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Quoting Rondo, J-Mac:  "The last 4-5 minutes of that game I kept pushing the tempo,'' he said. "Danny [Ainge] is always talking to me about that. Teams tend to relax a little at the end of games. They expect you to walk it up, so you can catch them off guard with a push, and a quick 3.

"If you do it right, it can change the outcome of the game.''

I do believe that Rondo now gets it.

He was hurting a bit, but I still believe it was not all physical.

"The main thing was we were losing,'' Rondo said. "And I felt the reason we were losing was because of me. I put a lot of pressure on myself. I wanted to finish the season well. That was the biggest concern for me, to find a way to get better, because we weren't playing well, or moving the ball, and that was on me.''

Proof: "You hear a lot about our defense, but if you look at the big games we've won, it was because we were pushing it.''

Rondo also had his little physical piccadillos which were no laughing matter at the time:  the rest and recuperation did wonders for Rondo.

"I don't want to make excuses, but my body wasn't right,'' Rondo said. "It wasn't responding the way it always had. My game is speed, energy, and now you get a tweak in your ankle and that slows you down.

"My hands started hurting. It was almost like arthritis. Any little hit and they would just throb and throb. Then I had the plantar fasciitis, and that wouldn't go away, so you had all these nagging things that added up. I tried to play through it. Some days I did better than others.''

Rondo has averaged 19 pts, 12 Ast and 7.3 rebounds in the playoffs so far.

There is no one on Miami who can guard him.

Expect the heat to sag off of Rondo:  expect the Heat to pay a high price.

The song remains the same:  As goes Rondo, so go the Celtics.

Rondo got his groove back.  Go Rondo. Go Celtics.

Push the pace! 

Heat go down in flames.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Re: Rondo Gets it! - Mystery No More!

Can you get over a Mid life crisis at 25???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo Gets it! - Mystery No More!:

[QUOTE]Can you get over a Mid life crisis at 25???

Posted by Ortiz123[/QUOTE]

-

LoL.  I hope so. I feel one coming on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

-

The Miami D on Rondo will be a factor, but he should be able to handle it.  They really don't have anyone who can take him off his game if he is pushing the ball aggressively and not passing up shots.  Not James, no Wade, not Bibby, not Chalmers.

From Chris Forsberg: "Regardless of whether it's Mario Chalmers or Mike Bibby on the court at the start of games, Rivers expects the Heat to throw a little bit of everything at Rondo, including the typical sag-and-challenge defense. "A little bit both, Chalmers and Bibby, and we’ll see LeBron and Wade on Rondo," said Rivers. "I think they’ll go to the 'Rondo Defense' that we all labeled it, where they just help off him, slack off him. How we handle that will be key in this series."

Asked about the difference between Chalmers and Bibby, Rondo noted, "Chalmers is more of a steal guy, Bibby is more of -- not that Chalmers is not solid, just Chalmers is going to put pressure on you if you turn your back and play the passing lanes -- Bibby is more of a solid defender."

Regardless of the defense, maybe Garnett summed it up best, "We just need Shorty to be aggressive. Rondo’s a pain when he’s aggressive. When he’s stacking the stat line he’s a problem to deal with and we’re a problem to deal with."

Shorty, and the rest of the Celtics, also better watch the turnovers and rebounding too if they want to beat the Heat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Rondo Gets it! - Mystery No More!:
    [QUOTE]- Not long ago I wrote a post here called  Rondo Still a Mystery  , well, thanks to a great piece of writing by one estimable J-Mac of ESPN Sports  we now know some of the answers, and the cloud of mystery begins to rise. I have long called for Rondo to push the ball up, even after made baskets, to push the pace constantly, that is what makes the Celtics go, what leads to success, easy baskets in transition, trailing 3's from Ray & Paul, and easy jumpers for KG from the elbows or the baseline.  Ball movement predicated on pushing the ball up before the defense gets set. Inside out ball movement, easy baskets for Rondo or kicking the ball out to a shooter. It seems that now he gets it. "His coach, his general manager and his teammates tried to coax him back on track. They all told him the same thing: When you push the ball, you are better and the team is better." Yes! Yes! Yes! Quoting Rondo, J-Mac:  "The last 4-5 minutes of that game I kept pushing the tempo,'' he said. "Danny [Ainge] is always talking to me about that. Teams tend to relax a little at the end of games. They expect you to walk it up, so you can catch them off guard with a push, and a quick 3. "If you do it right, it can change the outcome of the game.'' I do believe that Rondo now gets it. He was hurting a bit, but I still believe it was not all physical. "The main thing was we were losing,'' Rondo said. "And I felt the reason we were losing was because of me. I put a lot of pressure on myself. I wanted to finish the season well. That was the biggest concern for me, to find a way to get better, because we weren't playing well, or moving the ball, and that was on me.'' Proof:  "You hear a lot about our defense, but if you look at the big games we've won, it was because we were pushing it.'' Rondo also had his little physical piccadillos which were no laughing matter at the time:  the rest and recuperation did wonders for Rondo. " I don't want to make excuses, but my body wasn't right,'' Rondo said. "It wasn't responding the way it always had. My game is speed, energy, and now you get a tweak in your ankle and that slows you down. "My hands started hurting. It was almost like arthritis. Any little hit and they would just throb and throb. Then I had the plantar fasciitis, and that wouldn't go away, so you had all these nagging things that added up. I tried to play through it. Some days I did better than others.'' Rondo has averaged 19 pts, 12 Ast and 7.3 rebounds in the playoffs so far. There is no one on Miami who can guard him. Expect the heat to sag off of Rondo:  expect the Heat to pay a high price. The song remains the same:  As goes Rondo, so go the Celtics. Rondo got his groove back.   Go Rondo. Go Celtics. Push the pace!  Heat go down in flames.
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

Rondo is the biggest factor to our winning or losing for the remainder of the playoffs.  He was definitely in a slump for the last month, when we lost many of those games we should have won.    He is definitely back and is the key to the Celtics success. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Rondo Gets it! - Mystery No More!:
    [QUOTE]- Not long ago I wrote a post here called  Rondo Still a Mystery  , well, thanks to a great piece of writing by one estimable J-Mac of ESPN Sports  we now know some of the answers, and the cloud of mystery begins to rise. I have long called for Rondo to push the ball up, even after made baskets, to push the pace constantly, that is what makes the Celtics go, what leads to success, easy baskets in transition, trailing 3's from Ray & Paul, and easy jumpers for KG from the elbows or the baseline.  Ball movement predicated on pushing the ball up before the defense gets set. Inside out ball movement, easy baskets for Rondo or kicking the ball out to a shooter. It seems that now he gets it. "His coach, his general manager and his teammates tried to coax him back on track. They all told him the same thing: When you push the ball, you are better and the team is better." Yes! Yes! Yes! Quoting Rondo, J-Mac:  "The last 4-5 minutes of that game I kept pushing the tempo,'' he said. "Danny [Ainge] is always talking to me about that. Teams tend to relax a little at the end of games. They expect you to walk it up, so you can catch them off guard with a push, and a quick 3. "If you do it right, it can change the outcome of the game.'' I do believe that Rondo now gets it. He was hurting a bit, but I still believe it was not all physical. "The main thing was we were losing,'' Rondo said. "And I felt the reason we were losing was because of me. I put a lot of pressure on myself. I wanted to finish the season well. That was the biggest concern for me, to find a way to get better, because we weren't playing well, or moving the ball, and that was on me.'' Proof:  "You hear a lot about our defense, but if you look at the big games we've won, it was because we were pushing it.'' Rondo also had his little physical piccadillos which were no laughing matter at the time:  the rest and recuperation did wonders for Rondo. " I don't want to make excuses, but my body wasn't right,'' Rondo said. "It wasn't responding the way it always had. My game is speed, energy, and now you get a tweak in your ankle and that slows you down. "My hands started hurting. It was almost like arthritis. Any little hit and they would just throb and throb. Then I had the plantar fasciitis, and that wouldn't go away, so you had all these nagging things that added up. I tried to play through it. Some days I did better than others.'' Rondo has averaged 19 pts, 12 Ast and 7.3 rebounds in the playoffs so far. There is no one on Miami who can guard him. Expect the heat to sag off of Rondo:  expect the Heat to pay a high price. The song remains the same:  As goes Rondo, so go the Celtics. Rondo got his groove back.   Go Rondo. Go Celtics. Push the pace!  Heat go down in flames.
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

If he could very simply do what most other point guards in the league do then there would no be so much emphasis on doing somethingmore often than necessary.  Let's see we are in the half court offense and our point guard cannot participate so we'd better push the ball a lot more, our point guard cannot finish, so we had better push the ball a lot more, our point guard cannot make free throws, so we had better push the ball a lot more, our point guard has heard of 3 point shots but he could not make one if his life depended on it, so we had better push the ball a lot more......  kind of like what Coach K said... we have point guards like Westbrook who do everything Rondo can do but we cannot afford to have players on the floor that cannot shoot...... after Westbrook and Billups guiding the team to a gold medal, there were actually people here that continued to exclude Westbrook from the discussion of 1s that are better than Rondo.... it is not even a close vote and there are still those that think Westbrook is not better, well maybe when Westbrook is 25 he will be as good.... lmao.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

-

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  I'm not interested in bashing Rondo or comparing him to other point guards.  To do so would be an exercise in futility and in irrelevance.

Rondo is our point guard and the point guard who got us here and led our sweep of the Knickbockers.

The important factor is the strategies employed by Doc using the talents of the players we have to their greatest advantage.

There is no such thing as pushing the ball up more than neccessary.  The success the Celtics have had when Rondo pushes the ball up aggressively, or when whoever is playing the point does it, is self evident.

Pushing the ball means using all the talent we have to our best advantage and that means not just Rondo but Ray, Paul, and KG.

Comparing Rondo's situation on the Celtics to a USA pick-up team lead by a college coach is ludicrous.  The Celtics and Rondo would have buried that team deep in their and their college coach K's own hubris.

I don't care who among point guards may be better than Rondo:  it is totally irrelevant to the 2011 playoffs, where we find ourselves now, with Rondo leading the Big Three, pushing the pace, and distributing the ball.

That's our recipe for success, and we'll see who is left standing among point guards when the playoffs are over and all is said and done.

A team needs a good point guard to win:  the Celtics have a good point guard.  Basketball is a team game and Rondo fits within the frame-work of the Celtics very well. 

Where Rondo stands in comparison to other guards is quite irrelevant to the task at hand:  moving through the playoffs toward the Finals.

Amen.  Nuff said.  End of story.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

Yeah Westbrook is an awesome teammate and pg. All you have to do is look at game 4 against the Nuggets to know this.  

He shot the ball 30 times and got into a shouting match with Durant during the 2nd quarter.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts