Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Re: Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league

I agree, Rondo making perimeter jumpers in January will be huge for his confidence come playoff time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

I wouldn't go THAT far now. That title is held by Deron Williams, probably the most complete and well rounded of all PGs.

Rondo excels in the Celtics system and is key to the team's success.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't go THAT far now. That title is held by Deron Williams, probably the most complete and well rounded of all PGs. Rondo excels in the Celtics system and is key to the team's success.
    Posted by Waynestarr[/QUOTE]

Would you say that to Magic Johnson and Bob Cousy as well?

Rondo is already better than Deron in terms of setting people up and controlling the tempo of the game.  On defense, and on rebounding Rondo has always been better than Deron.

The only place where Deron has an edge on Rondo is on scoring.

Overall, Rondo is better.

You can say all you want.  You are entitled to your opinion. 

And by the way, the Celtics offensive system is run by Rondo.  Our system doesnt make Rondo EXCEL.  Rather, it is Rondo that makes our offensive system excel.  We all witnessed how good our system was without him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league : Would you say that to Magic Johnson and Bob Cousy as well? Rondo is already better than Deron in terms of setting people up and controlling the tempo of the game.  On defense, and on rebounding Rondo has always been better than Deron. The only place where Deron has an edge on Rondo is on scoring. Overall, Rondo is better. You can say all you want.  You are entitled to your opinion.  And by the way, the Celtics offensive system is run by Rondo.  Our system doesnt make Rondo EXCEL.  Rather, it is Rondo that makes our offensive system excel.  We all witnessed how good our system was without him.
    Posted by bilalkazmi[/QUOTE]

You just echoed my thought. Just because you say something, doesn't make it so.

But whatever.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

williams is worthy of such a title, but i prefer rondo hands down. factor in that williams' brighter lights, playoff resume is paltry compared to rondo's. i think that is significant and undeniable. rondo is a uniquely gifted, special player. that so many fans here do not recognize this and refuse to embrace him baffles me no end. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framdude. Show framdude's posts

seeing how the offense stalled when Rondo was out and how it runs now and how these guys are playing - I have to agree with the posters. if Rondo is not #1 he is 1A.
    to me a PG should be defined by assists. not by points scored. Williams and Paul are asked to shoulder more scoring for their teams. Its their offensive system.
    With 4 HOF around him, Rondo does not have to score, but tonight Rondo showed that he is not afraid to take the shot if that is only option left and he made few of those too.
    can Rondo improve? he sure can. At this point he needs to develop his floater in the lane and some mid range jumpers from the elbow. Rondo has IT, the intangibles and he is a champion. he is the MVP of this team, hands down.
    this team can win without KG, but it can't win without Rondo.

He has impressed me this year with the quantum leap with his play making ability. I thought Rondo had reached his potential in terms of play making, but he has taken it another level with his assists per game this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayallen1. Show rayallen1's posts

In Response to Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league:
    [QUOTE]His shot is coming....Posted by bilalkazmi[/QUOTE]

When Rondo gets his shot, then he will have the #1 PG mantle. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Bailey well said, your view of Rondo is spot on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from catmandoo. Show catmandoo's posts

Bailey the people you speak of don't know the differance between a basketball and  a ping pong ball.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]I wouldn't go THAT far now. That title is held by Deron Williams, probably the most complete and well rounded of all PGs. Rondo excels in the Celtics system and is key to the team's success.
    Posted by Waynestarr[/QUOTE]

I HATE WHEN PEOPLE SAY "its the system"..more than anything. i hear it with Tom Brady as well..tell me exactly what the Celtics "system" is that makes rondo so great? yes he has HOF'ers around him, and i wont dispute the fact that it makes assist racking easier..but in that case, why wasnt robinson gathering 12-15 assists a game in rondos absence? its easy to say anyone can do it, but we've seen that not everyone can. Rondo doesnt get normal assists..he gets assists that make you say..WOW.

the jumper excuse is fading, hes starting to prove to ppl that he will hit the jumper. hit it like ray ray? no. but its improving every time hes on the court..we forgot how explosive he was bc he was hurt so he wasnt going full boar..now that he appears to be healthy you see it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

May be some of you thought that Rajon "The Ranger" Rondo is a shooting guard thats why you always criticized his shooting ability but no! He is a point guard and his main task for the team is to distribute the ball to any open teammates. Stop comparing him to d-will and cp3 and instead compare them to Rondo and you will see the difference. He is a consumate point guard of our generation a real one.

"No Body Does it Better than the BOSTON CELTICS"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mike5says. Show mike5says's posts

it's Rondo. Come on now... We just beat the number 1 team record wise without KG. The kid had a triple double and 6 steals. What more do you want. Wheres D will going to be when the finals start? Oh ya he will be at home watching it. lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"A little more confidence in his 8 - 12 foot shot and Rondo is BY FAR the top point guard in the league." 

I don't agree - Rondo is about to turn the corner on his shot, but he needs to nail free throws consistently, that's the true key. As long as he is a clutch streak shooter that's good enough. But he has to show he can hit his free throws in high pressure situations in close games. If he can do that, he might well become the best point guard in the NBA. Right now, that weakness holds him back slightly, and makes Deron, CP (when healthy) more complete players (with D. Rose and Westbrook knocking on the door.

I will say this though: Rondo is the best assist man in the league AND it doesn't matter if he's the best point guard in the NBA or not because he's the best point guard for our team, and that's what counts. He's a joy to watch when he's on his game, which is most of the time. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

Magic says it best:

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

I wouldn't say he's the best after one game where he shoots the ball well.  Rondo needs to take and make shots consistently.  He can go several games without taking more than 2 shots and that's not going to cut it.  If he continues to take and make open jumpers that will open things up for everyone.  As it is now, teams don't defend him, which means Ray and PP are covered, which is the reason BBD shoots so many jumpers --- he and Rondo are left open because Rondo is not making himself a threat, so Davis gets the ball wide open a lot.

I hope Rondo keeps shooting.  If he keeps it up he'll be a threat come playoff time, making the Celtics that much more dangerous.  And he'll definitely be the #1 point guard then. 

He's coming along though.  Still needs to work on his free throw shooting too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE]" A little more confidence in his 8 - 12 foot shot and Rondo is BY FAR the top point guard in the league."  I don't agree - Rondo is about to turn the corner on his shot, but he needs to nail free throws consistently, that's the true key. As long as he is a clutch streak shooter that's good enough. But he has to show he can hit his free throws in high pressure situations in close games. If he can do that, he might well become the best point guard in the NBA. Right now, that weakness holds him back slightly, and makes Deron, CP (when healthy) more complete players (with D. Rose and Westbrook knocking on the door. I will say this though: Rondo is the best assist man in the league AND it doesn't matter if he's the best point guard in the NBA or not because he's the best point guard for our team, and that's what counts. He's a joy to watch when he's on his game, which is most of the time. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

I agree completely.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeverGiveUp. Show NeverGiveUp's posts

Rondo does more than just make great passes, he totally sets up the other team by making a smart move with the ball first.  He doesn't just hit the open man, He sets up defenders to get his team-mates open.  Truth is, he should probably be averaging even more assists per game, there are at least 2-4 assists blown each night by someone mishandling his pass or blowing an easy lay-up.  I for one would not trade Rondo even up for any other point guard in the league right now.  As far as Rondo benefitting from a system, that system didn't exactly boost Nate's assist totals in Rondo's absence.  Rondo makes the system work, not the other way around.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

If you consider both dribbling and passing, I think Rajon may be the best ball handler I've ever seen in my life.  He always values the ball.  He makes some turnovers, but his ratio to assists is good.  For our team at least, I think he fits better than dwil would.  And I find him MUCH more enjoyable to watch. 

Dwil plays kind of like lebron in a way, using his strength to drive to the basket and shove people around.  I don't find that so entertaining as the great passing we get from rondo.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronnie0729. Show ronnie0729's posts

Very well said!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronnie0729. Show ronnie0729's posts

In Response to Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league:
    [QUOTE]His shot is coming.  Tommy H. talked about it last game, and tonight Doc talked about it as well.  It seems like this kid has been tirelessly working on his shot. A little more confidence in his 8 - 12 foot shot and Rondo is BY FAR the top point guard in the league.  We shot 61% against one of the premier defences in the league.  He deserves to be mentioned for the MVP award this year.
    Posted by bilalkazmi[/QUOTE]

Very well said!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastCoastAudio. Show EastCoastAudio's posts

a point guards job is to get the team easy baskets. 22 assists, enough said!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Rondo had a great game, and he is one of the top point guards in the league. Teams will continue to play off of him as they did in last years finals, and most games this year, until he can shoot like he did last night on a regular basis.

One game will not, and should not change the views of other teams and the way they play the Celtics.

When Rondo developes a consistant answer for other teams playing the Celtics 5 on 4, then he will be the best in the business. For now, he is in the discussion.

Great game Rondo.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

He set the Celtics record last night for most 15+ assist games in a season I believe and the season isn't even half over yet.  If there's any other PG in the league playing that well and doing anything that special on the floor then there's a discussion about who's the best PG in the league, but since I don't believe anyone else is doing anything like this he's clearly the best.  If he can get his free throws down and keep hitting the jumper - then he'll be the best by a wide margin.  His improvement in assists year to year is on average, 3, 5, 8, 9, 14.  Is there any other PG who improves that much every year?  No!  Is Rondo still getting better?  Yes.  That's the scary part.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]a point guards job is to get the team easy baskets. 22 assists, enough said!!!
    Posted by EastCoastAudio[/QUOTE]

EastCoastAudio, that is not exactly correct.  When a team shoots 61% from the field and EVERYONE'S shot is falling, Ray, Paul, Baby, Shaq (2-3), that's a PGs dream in terms of assists.

Think about it, Rondo could have done every thing he did last night to a "t" but if Ray doesn't make the shots, if Baby misses half of his shots and if Pierce misses a majority of his shots, Rondo had an "ok" game.

We shoot 47 percent last night and it's a different game.  Rondo doesn' have the HUGE assist number.  He would have done the same exact thing and made the same exact passes.  However, the shots just happened not to fall, Rondo doesn't get the 22 assists.  It goes both ways.

Rondo had such an awesome night because the shots for EVERYONE were falling.  EVERYONE's shots weren't falling BECAUSE Rondo made outstanding passes to them.  They still had to make the shots.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

After last night's game shouldn't this thread be titled Ray Allen is the best shooting guard in the league? The team played a great offensive game and shot lights out, Rondo played great at the point, and they won by two points without KG at home.  It really is not about whether Rondo is the best or the fifth best or second best, it is about the team; last night was a great team win.

Sections
Shortcuts