Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Re: Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league

fubal,

It was an impressive team win, even though the Spurs were on the road in the second game of a back to back. Everybody, fought, and almost everyone shot very well. Ray was amaizing for most of the night. Great ball movement, and stretches of very good defense.

61% shooting!

When the Celtics become healthy, no one will beat them in a seven game series.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

But to address the title of this thread: Rondo's court vision, b-ball IQ, and his ability to execute passes to get players off in rythm is freakishly good and as noted above he's still getting better at it. But, when the game slows way down at crunch time, and the sag off of him comes he's gotta put the ball up because that's the best option...better than having Paul or ray stripped when they're doubled or having someone rushing an off rythm shot as the 24-seconds expire...and Doc should let the guys crash the boards if they think Rondo's gonna miss the open look.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league:
    [QUOTE]After last night's game shouldn't this thread be titled Ray Allen is the best shooting guard in the league? The team played a great offensive game and shot lights out, Rondo played great at the point, and they won by two points without KG at home.  It really is not about whether Rondo is the best or the fifth best or second best, it is about the team; last night was a great team win.
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]

I cannot agree with you more.  Ray Allen STILL is the best shooting guard in the NBA.  He has the sweetest shot but when he's ON like last night, it's a thing of beauty.

We shot 61% and won by 2 without KG?  That's a scary fact, good and bad.  When KG returns, we'll level off around 50% again.  Amazing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league : EastCoastAudio, that is not exactly correct.  When a team shoots 61% from the field and EVERYONE'S shot is falling, Ray, Paul, Baby, Shaq (2-3), that's a PGs dream in terms of assists. Think about it, Rondo could have done every thing he did last night to a "t" but if Ray doesn't make the shots, if Baby misses half of his shots and if Pierce misses a majority of his shots, Rondo had an "ok" game. We shoot 47 percent last night and it's a different game.  Rondo doesn' have the HUGE assist number.  He would have done the same exact thing and made the same exact passes.  However, the shots just happened not to fall, Rondo doesn't get the 22 assists.  It goes both ways. Rondo had such an awesome night because the shots for EVERYONE were falling.  EVERYONE's shots weren't falling BECAUSE Rondo made outstanding passes to them.  They still had to make the shots.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Besides me, you have to be the smartest guy on the board!!  I mean what's eaiser Ray running from side to side thru screens, around screens, til he gets about a 3 inch window to shoot and Rondo passes him the ball and he drains a 23 footer?  Don't get me wrong, i think Rondo is a top 5 point guard,but i also think how they define what is an assist is, makes it one of the most over rated things in basketball!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

The NBA single-game assist record is 30, held by Scott Skiles of the Orlando Magic against the Denver Nuggets, on December 30, 1990.

Anyone think Rodo will take this record?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league : EastCoastAudio, that is not exactly correct.  When a team shoots 61% from the field and EVERYONE'S shot is falling, Ray, Paul, Baby, Shaq (2-3), that's a PGs dream in terms of assists. Think about it, Rondo could have done every thing he did last night to a "t" but if Ray doesn't make the shots, if Baby misses half of his shots and if Pierce misses a majority of his shots, Rondo had an "ok" game. We shoot 47 percent last night and it's a different game.  Rondo doesn' have the HUGE assist number.  He would have done the same exact thing and made the same exact passes.  However, the shots just happened not to fall, Rondo doesn't get the 22 assists.  It goes both ways. Rondo had such an awesome night because the shots for EVERYONE were falling.  EVERYONE's shots weren't falling BECAUSE Rondo made outstanding passes to them.  They still had to make the shots.

Did us shooting 61%  and Ray being on fire have an impact on Rondo getting 22 assists.  Yes.

However, did Rondo have an impact on us shooting 61% and on Ray getting red hot?  Yes.

It goes both ways.  Lets not discredit Rondo and give all the accolades to our shooters and scorers.  It goes both ways. 

What you should acknowledge is that with Rondo as our PG we are leading the league in FG percentage (by a wide margin too).  Rondo deserves credit for this feat.  Rondo gets our scorers easy baskets.  He get our scorers on fire.  They both help each other out.  Thats the game of basketball.  Credit cant be given to one; it should be given to both.

Another thing:  We shot 61% yet we only won by 2 points.  It may seem so; but with 1 minute remaining we had a good 9 point lead and we lost it partly because refs werent calling fouls.   Otherwise, this was NOT a close game at the end.  We should have won with cushion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league : Did us shooting 61%  and Ray being on fire have an impact on Rondo getting 22 assists.  Yes. However, did Rondo have an impact on us shooting 61% and on Ray getting red hot?  Yes. It goes both ways.  Lets not discredit Rondo and give all the accolades to our shooters and scorers.  It goes both ways.  What you should acknowledge is that with Rondo as our PG we are leading the league in FG percentage (by a wide margin too).  Rondo deserves credit for this feat.  Rondo gets our scorers easy baskets.  He get our scorers on fire.  They both help each other out.  Thats the game of basketball.  Credit cant be given to one; it should be given to both. Another thing:  We shot 61% yet we only won by 2 points.  It may seem so; but with 1 minute remaining we had a good 9 point lead and we lost it partly because refs werent calling fouls.   Otherwise, this was NOT a close game at the end.  We should have won with cushion.
    Posted by bilalkazmi[/QUOTE]

You are not reading my entire post bilalkazmi.  You took my words right off my post.  I said in the middle of the post exactly what you said "It goes both ways".

Please read my post again and if it looks like I'm discrediting Rondo, I am not doing that.  I'm simply accentuating and acknowledging the part the shooters have in making this work.  We look at the 22 assists but discredit the job the shooters did.  Baby simply made his shots at a much better clip last night.  Baby gets the ball every night in the same spots he got the ball last night.  He just happened to hit a higher percentage of his shots.  Ray gets the ball every night the way he got the ball last night.  Last night he was just on fire.  Hence Rondo's (and Ray's) assists numbers were HUGE.

When Ray sprints from sideline to sideline through and around screens, gets a pass from Rondo and then rises with that small window all in one smooth motion to drain a 25 footer, believe me it isn't Rondo's pass that got it done, it's Ray's shooting.  I honestly believe the assist rule in the NBA is as liberal as it is in hockey.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from catmandoo. Show catmandoo's posts

This is what Popovich said about Rondo after the game last night. A comment like this coming from a coach like Pop means something as he knows what he is talking about and doesn't come out of his mouth that often.

Said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, "He affects the game on both ends of the court. He put it in the hole. He drove it. He plays D, gets steals. He rebounds. He does everything."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league : You are not reading my entire post bilalkazmi.  You took my words right off my post.  I said in the middle of the post exactly what you said " It goes both ways ". Please read my post again and if it looks like I'm discrediting Rondo, I am not doing that.  I'm simply accentuating and acknowledging the part the shooters have in making this work.  We look at the 22 assists but discredit the job the shooters did.  Baby simply made his shots at a much better clip last night.  Baby gets the ball every night in the same spots he got the ball last night.  He just happened to hit a higher percentage of his shots.  Ray gets the ball every night the way he got the ball last night.  Last night he was just on fire.  Hence Rondo's (and Ray's) assists numbers were HUGE. When Ray sprints from sideline to sideline through and around screens, gets a pass from Rondo and then rises with that small window all in one smooth motion to drain a 25 footer, believe me it isn't Rondo's pass that got it done, it's Ray's shooting.  I honestly believe the assist rule in the NBA is as liberal as it is in hockey.

Ray is a fantastic shooter.  Probably the best to ever play in the NBA (I know a lot of people on this board are gonna lose it... how dare anyone put anyone else before Larry great?).  But here is my conjecture:  If it was someone else running our offense (even someone like Chris Paul or Derron Williams) Ray would not be making as many of these shots.  Most PGs would not be able to 1. time the pass to Ray and 2. deliver it on a spot that makes it easy for Ray to catch and shoot 3. be able to get the pass because lets admit it everyone is trying to keep the ball from reaching Ray (Rondo passes the ball with a fierce velocity with both hands...very difficult) with the same consistency that Rondo can.  Wanna give Rondo the credit for that?

Secondly, this isn't the first time Rondo dished a ridiculous amount of assists, so lets not pretend this was an outlier.  He is starting to repeat the volume of assists game after game now.  And yeah, we shot 61% last night, but we average around 52 or 53%.  That means half of the time we shoot more than 53%.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tillson174. Show Tillson174's posts

I am so glad someone said this.  I was listening to "Ball Chat" on itunes yesterday, and one host says Rondo might not be the best player that plays pg (because Rose, Deron and CP3 can score better), but he is probably better at every other area of point guard play.  No one controls an offense like he does.  He really looks like a young Jason Kidd with more speed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

just to add, BBD is probably the best 6th man in the league right now, and Ray Allen is the best SG ever to touch a basketball, Pierce is one of the best scorers in the league, and one of the best all around players of all time, well KG is KG - fun team to watch a lot of great players on this team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRock1. Show SoxRock1's posts

Perhaps not yet...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

oh please i love rondo but please take off your homer glasses and panties.. rondo is nowhere near being the #1 guard in the league. he is the top guard in the league for our unique system and team but not in general... deron williams, chris paul and now derrick rose will run circles around him under most objective scenarios. when he actually becomes a better shooter, we can talk. cant be the best because oh my god, he is taking and missing less 8-12 feet shots.. let him hit those and some 3s at around a 40-45% clip before we start annointing him with MVPs. he's not even close. rose is far more important to his team. rondo is hands down the best passing and perhaps even rebounding point guard, not the best overall point guard. when you are the point guard and must constantly run away from the ball in close ending games, you SUKK! can you imagine the patriots having to take out brady at the end of close games because he can only hand off or cant take the snaps without fumbling or whatever... you cant be called great if you cant close...PERIOD! pierce could play PG with quis on the floor and we will have more victories than rondo being out there in close games. rondo is essentially useless in end-game situations unless he is perhaps only inbounding the ball... stop with the weak kool-aid! pierce is far more important than rondo for he will be there at the end in the crunchiest of crunch times.. he can create and take his own shot over or on anyone.. if they stop it, he can go get the rebound or take the foul and calmly ace them at the line...PERIOD!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

Rose is a ball hog who gets special treatment from the refs.  In last nights game, Rondo and Robinson both got hammered going to the basket and there were no whistles.  Rose got every ticky tack foul and it was embarrasing to watch.  He's not that important and in a properly officiated game is a mediocre point guard who doesn't do much for his team other than hog the ball all the time.  A point guard who averages 6 assists per game is not good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Maybe we're all defining "best" differently.   For the Celts, we need a point guard who can get the ball to our star shooters and to our old men (Shaq) are the right moment.  For that, Rondo is the BEST point guard and Nash is second.  Some people think their point guard has to score to lead his team and to be a big one on one defender.  I give that title to Williams.   I personally think CP3 is the best combination of the skills.   For the best scorer, fast break man, jump shooter, and passer- Parker is underrated, folks.  Truly carries his team at times.

In summary, who you pick as best point guard is very much dependent on what you value first in a point guard and everyone views the role differently, thus the disagreement.   Personally, I take Rondo for the Celtics we have today over everbody except maybe CP3.  But, when the Big 3 are gone, Rondo better have learned to shoot better himself and step up his man to man defense

PS.  Notice Rose was NOT in my pick anywhere for best point guard.  He's a pure ball hogging scorer - a very talented one, mind you, but a scorer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league : Did us shooting 61%  and Ray being on fire have an impact on Rondo getting 22 assists.  Yes. However, did Rondo have an impact on us shooting 61% and on Ray getting red hot?  Yes. It goes both ways.  Lets not discredit Rondo and give all the accolades to our shooters and scorers.  It goes both ways.  What you should acknowledge is that with Rondo as our PG we are leading the league in FG percentage (by a wide margin too).  Rondo deserves credit for this feat.  Rondo gets our scorers easy baskets.  He get our scorers on fire.  They both help each other out.  Thats the game of basketball.  Credit cant be given to one; it should be given to both. Another thing:  We shot 61% yet we only won by 2 points.  It may seem so; but with 1 minute remaining we had a good 9 point lead and we lost it partly because refs werent calling fouls.   Otherwise, this was NOT a close game at the end.  We should have won with cushion.
    Posted by bilalkazmi[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head bila.  You are 100% correct

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe we're all defining "best" differently.   For the Celts, we need a point guard who can get the ball to our star shooters and to our old men (Shaq) are the right moment.  For that, Rondo is the BEST point guard and Nash is second.  Some people think their point guard has to score to lead his team and to be a big one on one defender.  I give that title to Williams.   I personally think CP3 is the best combination of the skills.   For the best scorer, fast break man, jump shooter, and passer- Parker is underrated, folks.  Truly carries his team at times. In summary, who you pick as best point guard is very much dependent on what you value first in a point guard and everyone views the role differently, thus the disagreement.   Personally, I take Rondo for the Celtics we have today over everbody except maybe CP3.  But, when the Big 3 are gone, Rondo better have learned to shoot better himself and step up his man to man defense PS.  Notice Rose was NOT in my pick anywhere for best point guard.  He's a pure ball hogging scorer - a very talented one, mind you, but a scorer.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Very good post.  Seems a lot of posters think scoring for PG's is important.  On our team assists are more important for point guards. Everyone wants to point out Rose scoring 30 something points but 2 assists?  Rondo had 8.  I think that equals out the overall performance of both players a little bit. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league : Very good post.  Seems a lot of posters think scoring for PG's is important.  On our team assists are more important for point guards. Everyone wants to point out Rose scoring 30 something points but 2 assists?  Rondo had 8.  I think that equals out the overall performance of both players a little bit. 
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

Lets equal things out a little bit more..... Rondo only missed 1 FT all night long. Rose missed 4.

Pud

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe we're all defining "best" differently.   For the Celts, we need a point guard who can get the ball to our star shooters and to our old men (Shaq) are the right moment.  For that, Rondo is the BEST point guard and Nash is second.  Some people think their point guard has to score to lead his team and to be a big one on one defender.  I give that title to Williams.   I personally think CP3 is the best combination of the skills.   For the best scorer, fast break man, jump shooter, and passer- Parker is underrated, folks.  Truly carries his team at times. In summary, who you pick as best point guard is very much dependent on what you value first in a point guard and everyone views the role differently, thus the disagreement.   Personally, I take Rondo for the Celtics we have today over everbody except maybe CP3.  But, when the Big 3 are gone, Rondo better have learned to shoot better himself and step up his man to man defense PS.  Notice Rose was NOT in my pick anywhere for best point guard.  He's a pure ball hogging scorer - a very talented one, mind you, but a scorer.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on the role and importance of Rondo on the current Celtics. I also share your worries about his role on a post-big 3 team....he'll have to improve in several areas.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Rose is 7th in the league in scoring and 8th in assists. Rondo leads the league in turnovers per game, while Rose is tied for 5th. Rondo obviously leads the league in assists and is 105th in scoring.  According to the NBA website, Shaq is last in the league in free throw percentage at 0.531 (136th). Apparently, Rondo has not taken enough free throws to qualify, which saves him the embarassment of being last at 0.442.  Rondo is a great talent, with a very major flaw that I think is imrpoving. Net, net, he's one of the best point guards in the league right now, but clearly needs to balance out his game some to be considered the best, IMO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

have we been able to determine that he's better than nate? how 'bout should we trade him? how 'bout best in the league? no? okay, then maybe rondo's one of the best in the league? here's a better rondo question for celtics fans: do we even like him? better yet: why don't we like him more? and, finally, the best of these questions: why do we dislike rondo in spite of all the success he's had and is having? because he's different than the standard fare? nope. need a better answer than that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I like Rondo, he's my second favorite Celtic. He's also a top 5 or 6 point guard in the league,but Rose is a top 5 player in the league. I watched him do the same thing to the Lakers, that he did to us, and Kobe guarded him much of the game.

If Rose played for the C's and was guarded like Rondo is guarded, how many would he score? If Rose played for the C's we would be everyone's favorite to be NBA champs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

[QUOTE] I like Rondo, he's my second favorite Celtic. He's also a top 5 or 6 point guard in the league,but Rose is a top 5 player in the league. I watched him do the same thing to the Lakers, that he did to us, and Kobe guarded him much of the game.  If Rose played for the C's and was guarded like Rondo is guarded, how many would he score? If Rose played for the C's we would be everyone's favorite to be NBA champs.
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]  When was the last time a team with a primarily scoring point guard won an NBA title?  Detroit in 92?  but, Thomas was superhuman in the things he did on the floor and still averaged around 10 assists per game over his career, and 14 assists per game in his best overall year statistically.  I don't think any team has ever won with a Point Guard as their primary scorer.  Maybe I'm just drawing a blank?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"If Rose played for the C's we would be everyone's favorite to be NBA champs."

Perhaps, but I think you're overestimating how willing Pierce/Allen/KG and even "I like to shoot" Davis would be willing to put up with a point guard who needs his shots. Rose is as much of a Kobe/Wade type scorer as he is a point guard. I don't know if he would fit in well with this group of Celts players who are not about to give up their shots...too bad we'll never find out. 

I'm also not as willing as you to put Rose in the top five players in the NBA - you seem to be a lot more eager to anoint someone with a pretty limited body of work. I'll give him top 10 - barely -but with more still to prove. If he can do it into the playoffs, I'll go top five. 

I'm not saying he's not a better player than Rondo overall - I think he is. I think it's funny how much there is a split between the duds who think Rondo is overrated and those homer fans who think he's number one in the league. I see Rondo as in the 3-6 range (best point guards), and I think we'll know whether it's closer to 3 or 6 by the time the last game is played this spring. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Billups for the Pistons, was a scoring point guard. Parker for the Spurs, was a scoring point guard. I would say the greatest of them all Michael Jordan, could be called the point guard of the great Bulls team!!

Sections
Shortcuts