Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league

In Response to Re: Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league:
     Billups for the Pistons, was a scoring point guard. Parker for the Spurs, was a scoring point guard. I would say the greatest of them all Michael Jordan, could be called the point guard of the great Bulls team!!
    Posted by kyceltic

Hmmm, not sure about these examples.   Parker was not the main option in critical points in the game, especially in the championship years (it was Duncan and Ginobli).  Same for Chauncey.  He was a scoring PG, but he was a passer first to RIP and to Prince.  Now Jordan was never even close to a point guard.  He was clearly a shooting guard.   I agree these are examples of scoring point guards, but they all passed first (other than Jordan who was not a point guard).  As for Rose, he's score first, clearly.  

I don't see Rose being as successful on the Celts UNLESS he was willing to pass first and shoot when he was open (vs driving on 3 people as his first choice the way he does now).   The TEAM would suffer.   If we, the Celtics, became a "me, first" type of team, I'm not sure we are an automatic choice for the championship.  Paul would still get his, but Ray and KG and Shaq would suffer because they would not get the ball in their position of choice.

Just my opinion.  I understand that you'll disagree.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo IS THE #1 PG in the league : Hmmm, not sure about these examples.   Parker was not the main option in critical points in the game, especially in the championship years (it was Duncan and Ginobli).  Same for Chauncey.  He was a scoring PG, but he was a passer first to RIP and to Prince.  Now Jordan was never even close to a point guard.  He was clearly a shooting guard.   I agree these are examples of scoring point guards, but they all passed first (other than Jordan who was not a point guard).  As for Rose, he's score first, clearly.   I don't see Rose being as successful on the Celts UNLESS he was willing to pass first and shoot when he was open (vs driving on 3 people as his first choice the way he does now).   The TEAM would suffer.   If we, the Celtics, became a "me, first" type of team, I'm not sure we are an automatic choice for the championship.  Paul would still get his, but Ray and KG and Shaq would suffer because they would not get the ball in their position of choice. Just my opinion.  I understand that you'll disagree.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Jim Paxon, was the other guard on 2 championship teams, Ron Harper, was the other guard, on 2 championship teams. Neither were point guards, BJ Armstrong, not a point guard, Steve Kerr, not a point guard. You're right Jordan was a shooting guard, but if there was a point guard on the Bulls it would have to be jordan. You could also call Pippen a point forward. What i'm saying is you don't have to have "conventional point guards" to win championships. Who handles the ball most on the Lakers, Kobe or Fisher?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

" If Rose played for the C's we would be everyone's favorite to be NBA champs." Perhaps, but I think you're overestimating how willing Pierce/Allen/KG and even "I like to shoot" Davis would be willing to put up with a point guard who needs his shots. Rose is as much of a Kobe/Wade type scorer as he is a point guard. I don't know if he would fit in well with this group of Celts players who are not about to give up their shots...too bad we'll never find out.  I'm also not as willing as you to put Rose in the top five players in the NBA - you seem to be a lot more eager to anoint someone with a pretty limited body of work. I'll give him top 10 - barely -but with more still to prove. If he can do it into the playoffs, I'll go top five.  I'm not saying he's not a better player than Rondo overall - I think he is. I think it's funny how much there is a split between the duds who think Rondo is overrated and those homer fans who think he's number one in the league. I see Rondo as in the 3-6 range (best point guards), and I think we'll know whether it's closer to 3 or 6 by the time the last game is played this spring. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

I think KG Ray and Paul would still get their shots, as a matter of fact, they may get eaiser shots, because you wouldn't dare back off DRose to double team someone else.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

" If Rose played for the C's we would be everyone's favorite to be NBA champs." Perhaps, but I think you're overestimating how willing Pierce/Allen/KG and even "I like to shoot" Davis would be willing to put up with a point guard who needs his shots. Rose is as much of a Kobe/Wade type scorer as he is a point guard. I don't know if he would fit in well with this group of Celts players who are not about to give up their shots...too bad we'll never find out.  I'm also not as willing as you to put Rose in the top five players in the NBA - you seem to be a lot more eager to anoint someone with a pretty limited body of work. I'll give him top 10 - barely -but with more still to prove. If he can do it into the playoffs, I'll go top five.  I'm not saying he's not a better player than Rondo overall - I think he is. I think it's funny how much there is a split between the duds who think Rondo is overrated and those homer fans who think he's number one in the league. I see Rondo as in the 3-6 range (best point guards), and I think we'll know whether it's closer to 3 or 6 by the time the last game is played this spring. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

The Big Three know that they are in the twilight's of their careers and would love to hang a few more banners to cement their legacies.

Willing to give up their shots to a Rose type PG player? YOu bet. Look how much they try to coax/cajole/encourage Rondo to take the open shots... and to little avail.

Frustrating indeed.

Their lives would be so very much easier playing with a stud PG who could help them carry the load on the offensive end... or who could take over a game when their shots aren't falling.

They would love it.

Earlier in their career would they be so open?

Who knows... but it has to do with maturity.

The fact that they meshed so well with each other is indicative.

Pud 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Rondo is a better fit for this Celtic team than Rose is. But since Rose won't be goin to Boston we'll never know for sure, will we.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

Jordan is the Bulls all time assist leader.  Pippen is 2nd.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Rondo is a better fit for this Celtic team than Rose is. But since Rose won't be goin to Boston we'll never know for sure, will we.
    Posted by OneNation

It is a joke, naive, ill-informed, and uneducated to suggest somehow that a lesser player is a better fit for a team in any situation, any situation, any situation.....  talent is talent is talent is talent and the more a team has the higher likelihood of winning.

Ask KG, Pierce, and Allen how they like being automatically doubleteamed as a result of having a less complete player playing center and point guard.

The mentality that somehow the Cs would not be a lot better with Brook Lopez or Noah at center and Rose, Paul, Williams, Nash, Kidd, Curry, Evans, and a whole bunch of others at the point is simply ridiculous.

Rondo is a perfect fit for this team but if there were at least a dozen other point guards available to the Cs they would be no worse off and in a lot of cases better.

Rondo is not perfect for this team, the team is perfect for Rondo - the 4 hall of famers he starts with hide his weaknesses.

I saw a poll on Foxsports yesterday asking who would you want for a point guard and Rondo was not even in the poll.

Foxsports had Rondo as the #9 point guard in the league.

Give me either of the Rockets two point guards playing tonight and the Cs are no worse off.  There is no more overrated player in the leauge than Rondo - he doesn't make anyone better and that to me is the definition of how good a player is.  When Rondo was in high school his 4 starting teammates were already headed to the hall of fame.

Only on this board is Rondo the #1 point guard in the league.  And only on national broadcasts where the unprepared-stats-reviewing-experts is Rondo even considered in the discussion.

As he has displayed tonight and just about every other night, he is the worst shooter in the league and requires almost no defensive assignment in the half court offensive set.

He gave up an uncontested layup for an assist....... what a joke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Dudder if what you said happened every night he plays.  We would all agree with you.  Of course your comments do not match his usual performance.  I would ask the Rockets if they would trade for Rondo and give not only Aaron Brooks but our pick of any two other players. The answer would be an unqualified yes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Rondo has a good game against the Spurs which triggers this thread. Now two stinkers in a row. Rose and Brooks both torch him.

My guess is that this is just Rondo being Rondo.

Inconsistent, bored, distracted, passive... like this time last season, he's looking forward to (1) the all star game (he is a leading vote getter) and to (2) playoffs when the games actually count for something.

In the meantime, Rondo is sitting back and letting things slide.

But #1 PG in the league???

Against the Spurs, you might have a case.

Since then? Rose and Brooks say " Hell no!"

But you be the judge.

Pud

Sections
Shortcuts