Rondo isn't an elite PG

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

Rondo isn't an elite PG

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/424633-dont-believe-the-hype-why-rondo-is-not-a-top-tier-pg

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Re: Rondo isn't an elite PG

Here's the author's credentials, hardly an expert:

About Pedro

Born and raised in the LA area. Fan of the Los Angeles Lakers and basketball in general. A fan of the B-More Ravens and the NFL. Just getting into MMA and boxing

That's the problem with the internet.  It gives a forum to people with no credibility.

Don't you think maybe Magic Johnson knows a little bit more about the position than this clown??  He was salivating about Rondo's play during the whole playoffs.  Enough said.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

Yeah, I know. Still he's right and wrong at the same time. You can't deny that Rondo is a very talented point guard and, at the same time, he needs to improve his jump shot and FTs to become the best of the best, or at least one of the very best. I hope next season we will see an improvement on his game over the last season.

Cheers,

C.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Of course Rondo has flaws that need improving on but Pedro Herrera has no more credentials to cover the NBA than you or me.  Anybody who says that he puts up big numbers because he plays with 3 future hall of famers obviously has not watched too many C's games in the last yr.  As the big 3 start to fade, Rondo has taken on a bigger and bigger role.  Those guys actually have a tough time keeping up with his pace.  If he played for a run and gun team like the Knicks his numbers would be off the charts.  That's why stats, which is what Herrera totally uses to make his points, only tell part of the story.  The PG's main job is to quarterback the team.  It's about winning, not putting up stats. 

Here's another gem of a quote: 

I have no idea where Rondo ranks in the NBA point guard landscape but what I DO know is that he is being severely over rated by homers from Boston and NBA “experts”.

So I guess he's either questioning Magic Johnson's knowledge or calling him a Boston Homer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

First team on the All-NBA Defensive team.  Top five in assists.  Highest shooting percentage of any guard in the NBA.  Nearly 14 points per game on a team whose leading scorer averaged 18.  Led the league in steals by a wide margin.  More playoff triple doubles in the last two years than any other player.  Tied for third (with Deron Williams) among PGs in total production, behind Chris Paul and Steve Nash (who plays no defense).

When all facets of the game are taken into account, there is simply no PG in the league who outranks Rondo except Chris Paul, who is coming off what could be a career-altering injury.

The silliest argument against Rondo is that his assists total should be discounted because he is playing with "three future Hall of Famers".  This ignores the fact that none of those three played at anywhere near a Hall of Fame level in the last two years.  It also overlooks the fact that Rondo's amazing and unmatched performance in the 2009 playoffs occurred entirely without one of the Big Three and with the other two taking turns being ineffective.

By the way, the belief that the Lakers showed how easily Rondo can be defended overlooks an extremely important fact.  The guy they picked to guard Rondo is on the first team of the All-NBA Defensive Team.  No other team can throw an equivalent defensive player at Rondo (since Rondo himself is the other guard on the first team All-NBA Defensive team). 

A second by the way: there are several NBA point guards (Collison being one of them) whose OVERALL shooting percentage is worse than Rondo's OUTSIDE shooting percentage (which is over 40%).  You could look it up.

And finally, Rondo could easily be a twenty-points per game scorer.  All he would have to do is take a few more shots per game (at the expense of his assists total, of course).  But that is not what the team needs or what Doc wants.  True fans should know that it is not a good thing for team coherence or morale for its PG to take the most shots and score the most points.  A PG's most important offensive task is to make his teammates better - and that is something that Rondo does very well, indeed. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

JerryCole, I could not have stated it better!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from so-fla-seltic. Show so-fla-seltic's posts

So our starting PG isn't elite

Our big three is old and over the hill

Yet we've been to the finals 3 out of the last 4 seasons.  I say "the proof is in the pudding"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I have a line for Pedro Herrera. Opinions are like a------s, everybody has one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Rondo only really needs to improve his FTs.  The way he drives to the net.  If he hits FTs he will cause a lot more damage than he already does. No one will be sagging off. It's gravy if he imroves his jumper.

Rondo is without doubt elite. He's an all-star, he's in the mix (and probably has made the cut) for the team USA.  That puts him in the upper echelons. He's not perfect, so what.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Rondo won two finals playoff games by himself.  Like only superstars do.  Lebron was not able to this year.  He is weapon no one in the NBA has an answer to.  It is a fact.  Let's see how Paul covers him this  year.  I bet he won't be able to.

Kobe even said before the series that nobody including himself could stay with him. That's from an egomaniac.

The people who write these stories only wish they had him.  He will greatly outperform the big 3 in the coming year barring injury.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Really, dis topic is tired & dirty but I guess wese neber tire o arguing it, tho in my opinion da premisis ain't wothy o discussing.

Here in Boston, we know Rondo, we know what we got, we know what he needs to do to get better, but most importantly, we know he's a winner, and dat winning mentality dont sho up on any stat I no of. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Re: Rondo isn't an elite PG -- Fools Rush In.

Jus take a look at da clip and remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjj-YyfKwRE

Ifin dat ain't an elite point guard, den dere R no elite point guards.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sev133. Show Sev133's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo isn't an elite PG:
    So our starting PG isn't elite Our big three is old and over the hill Yet we've been to the finals 3 out of the last 4 seasons.  I say "the proof is in the pudding"
    Posted by legin1212

only been to finals 2 out of the last 3 seasons

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fitz0527. Show fitz0527's posts

Here's the author's credentials, hardly an expert: About Pedro   Born and raised in the LA area. Fan of the Los Angeles Lakers and basketball in general. A fan of the B-More Ravens and the NFL. Just getting into MMA and boxing That's the problem with the internet.  It gives a forum to people with no credibility. Don't you think maybe Magic Johnson knows a little bit more about the position than this clown??  He was salivating about Rondo's play during the whole playoffs.  Enough said.
    Posted by siestafiesta
    Born in LA - stopped reading right there. This guy is a tool.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Yes he is!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

I love Rondo and he is definitely one of the best PG's in the NBA but he's still not in the top 3 yet because he can't hit the pull-up jumper, he is a poor foul shooter, and he still makes too many errant passes by getting fancy when in transition. All of which is why I don't see him making Team USA. Colangelo and Krzyzewski are on a mission and will not tolerate behind the back passes and errant bounce passes that were meant travel the length of the baseline.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"he's still not in the top 3 yet because"

I would tend to agree except to say the top three is really in flux. D. Williams is on top (excluding veterans like Nash/Billups), but Derrick Rose has some things to prove, he may be top three soon. Russell Westbrook may be ready to make a move soon. A few others have shown signs but aren't there.

"he can't hit the pull-up jumper" - I don't know that he needs to hit the pull up jumper all the time because his running floaters have become much more effective. But he does need to develop enough of a jump shot that guards can't lay off him, especially in late game situations. However remember that he can do things that other point guards can't do also. 

"he is a poor foul shooter," - he actually showed signs of improving this but then really took a step back in the Finals. Free throws are largely mental and he will either conquer this or not. I would argue that this is his biggest weakness - without a high free throw percentage he can never be in the top point guards in the league. He has to be able to drive with utter confidence late in games. Hoping he conquers this. 

"and he still makes too many errant passes by getting fancy when in transition." - not as big of an issue and one that reflects on the coaches as much as the player. Team USA won't be concerned on this one as they can pull him out of the game if he gets too flashy. This cuts both ways as he may have the best court vision in the league amongst points and makes passes some of them won't. 

In sum: don't be surprised if he makes the team if they think they can coach him up on the free throws and reign him in slightly on passing. He might make the team this time but not make the final cut also. I see it as being a good experience for Rondo as he'll get some more strong coaching, perhaps better coaching than he's had, including strong feedback on what he needs to work on and mentoring on how to do it. So if I were you I'd root for him to make the team. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

To those who say that Rondo isn't an elite point guard, do you even know the meaning of the word "elite".  Admittedly, there are aspects of Rondo's game that need improvement, but whose doesn't. You talk about Chris Paul and Deron Williams as being the elite point guards in the NBA. Have either of them led their teams to the NBA Finals? The answer is NO! My point exactly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

To those who say that Rondo isn't an elite point guard, do you even know the meaning of the word "elite".  Admittedly, there are aspects of Rondo's game that need improvement, but whose doesn't. You talk about Chris Paul and Deron Williams as being the elite point guards in the NBA. Have either of them led their teams to the NBA Finals? The answer is NO! My point exactly.
    Posted by edcap99

I agree to a certain extent.

Just because D. Will and CP3 haven't lead their teams to the Finals, doesn't mean they're not ELITE point guards.

They just don't have the right pieces around them.

It's a TEAM sport remember?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo isn't an elite PG : I agree to a certain extent. Just because D. Will and CP3 haven't lead their teams to the Finals, doesn't mean they're not ELITE point guards. They just don't have the right pieces around them. It's a TEAM sport remember?
    Posted by Waynestarr
    With all due respect, I'm not saying that Paul and Williams are not elite point guards.  They most definitely are. What I'm saying is that those who say that Rondo hasn't reached elite status seem to disregard the fact that Rondo quarterbacked the Celtics to the NBA Finals. IMO, he has elevated his game to the level where he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Paul and Williams.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo isn't an elite PG : With all due respect, I'm not saying that Paul and Williams are not elite point guards.  They most definitely are. What I'm saying is that those who say that Rondo hasn't reached elite status seem to disregard the fact that Rondo quarterbacked the Celtics to the NBA Finals. IMO, he has elevated his game to the level where he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Paul and Williams.
    Posted by edcap99

And I agree with you. I'm just saying that Rondo had the "Big 3" to get him to the championship level.

The other two point guards wasn't so lucky.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Didn't even bother reading the article.  If you think Rondo is not an 'elite' point guard then youre not a fan of the game.

These are stats:  APG, RPG, PPG, SPG, FG%

Rondo is in the top of all of these categories.  I think he is the only point guard on th All NBA D Squad and he had the best FG% of all guards, 1s and 2s.

If you can't see greatness then dont watch.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hippocrates. Show Hippocrates's posts

He averaged a triple double during a playoff series, broke the Celtics single season record for steals and assists. Done.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Let's not forget efficiency rating (my favorite stat)

Rondo is sixth among guards:

http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Efficiency.jsp?league=00&season=22009&conf=OVERALL&position=5&splitType=9&splitScope=GAME&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=

Steve Nash, Deron Williams and Chris Paul are all ahead of him, which doesn't mean Rondo isn't part of the elite; rather it means he ranks AMONG the elite.

BTW, toss out Kobe and D Wade as they are swingmen and garner their high rating based more on scoring output.  That means the best point guards are as follows:

1) Chris Paul (a master, credit where due)
    2) Deron Williams (toughness and intelligence personified, all around game)
    3) Steve Nash (two-time MVP)
    and
    4) Rajon Rondo

Jason Kidd, Tony Parker, Russel Westbrook, Jameer Nelson, Mo Williams, the kid from Milwaukee, Devin Harris etc, don't even enter the conversation.

I can teach anyone on this board to shoot 75% stationary at 15 feet.  I'm quite sure Rajon Rondo and his coaches will figure it out.  And, for the last time, I promise, Rondo doesn't need to MAKE open jumpers, he needs to TAKE open jumpers.  Shoot em enough and they will fall in the general area of that percentage he already shoots (which is best among guards).  'Pullup' isn't even in Rondo's vocabulary yet.  So RELAX.  Rondo is an assassin; right now he is more comfortable killing opponents up close with a knife.  Soon enough he will also be killing them from a distance with a rifle.  I seem to remember another Celtics point guard who wasn't the best pure jump shooter whose numer 3 hangs from the rafters.  Who would you prefer take the final shot in a playoff game, DJ or Jason Kidd?

Sections
Shortcuts