Rondo nick names

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

Rondo nick names

I'll start -

Earl, for The Earl of Emerald

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Rondo nick names

You aren't starting anything.

Before the season ended, we had three threads running simultaneously. Subject matter: Rondo nick names!

Try the search option!

Pud 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo nick names:
    You aren't starting anything. Before the season ended, we had three threads running simultaneously. Subject matter: Rondo nick names! Try the search option! Pud 
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Search option is limited, didn't find anything - gotta link?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

how about "brick"?

or maybe in honor of last year's finals disappaerance... "MIA"

or maybe in honor of his quickness and last year's MIA- "fast and fleeting- F&F"

sorry, i'm not really high on rondo, we're going into year 5 and his freebie numbers and overall late season effectiveness have not improved much at all.  and if you're really great for three series and then disappear for the finals then in my book that's still stinko overall.

i'd be tickled shatless if he came into this season shooting 70% free throws and kept on doing it, but what has he done to improve the last four seasons in this regard????  nothing.  even got noticably worse for almost all of last year.  he obviously doesn't even have his head on straight if he thinks he can just "get hot" for the playoffs and not bother with it all season long.  sad.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

acie, do some homework instead of spouting off.  Rondo came within 2 rebounds of a triple double in game 7 against LA.  He actually had a triple double in game 2. Is that your idea of "disappearing"?

Did Rondo disappear throughout the regular season?  Obviously not, since he was selected to for the All-Star team.  Well, guess what?  Despite having a first team All-NBA Defensive player guarding him, his overall production average in the Finals was one-tenth of a point per game worse than his regular season average. 

You've been reading too many of Pud's fantasy posts in which he tells us what he "sees", and then is shown to be completely wrong when the facts are posted.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

Rondo doesn't need a nickname.  He's like Kobe, Lebron, Carmelo, and others in that everyone knows exactly who you are talking about when you say "Rondo".  And the fact that it rhymes with "Hondo" makes it even better. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

how about-"Trade Rumor" ..ex.CP3 this year and all last summer.  his name is brought into the mix to trade

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

Rondo doesn't need a nickname.  He's like Kobe, Lebron, Carmelo, and others in that everyone knows exactly who you are talking about when you say "Rondo".  And the fact that it rhymes with "Hondo" makes it even better. 
    Posted by jerrycole

LeBron - The King
    Kobe - The Closer
    Anthony - Melo
    Rondo - Rondo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nicknames_used_in_basketball

http://dictionary.sensagent.com/rondo/en-en/

Since he's the PG and his name is a musical term for the final part of a sonata, why not call him The Composer, since he controlls the game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

Conductor - One who directs a group of performers. The conductor indicates the tempo, phrasing, dynamics, and style by gestures and facial expressions.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

acie, do some homework instead of spouting off.  Rondo came within 2 rebounds of a triple double in game 7 against LA.  Posted by jerrycole

listen you can wax bullcrap to me, but it won't stick to the wall.  rondo began the disappearance act in game 5 vs. orlando and from then on he shot 13 for 35 from the charity stripe.  that's a lowly 37%.  so there's one real stat for you to shove into your pipe and smoke.

strictly within the laker series, "brick" shot 5 for 19 from the charity stripe- a whopping and disgusting 26%.  what do you call that?

the entire nature of his game changed from aggressive and disruptive (to the other team) to the vast majority of minutes played spent being passive and destructive to OUR team through lack of balls to shoot the open jumper or do much driving of the lane (since that might lead to fouls).

i watched all 7 games.  i watch all regular season games.  i dvr'd all the playoff games and burned them to disk.  when rondo is good, he's great for the team.  and when he's bad for the team, through brickery at the free throw line that translates into passivity on offense and not freely shooting the jumper here's what's happens:

1) the opposing defense rightly sees fit to contract into the lane and the celts are functionally 4 on 5 on offense and all business conducted in the paint and by cutters or high posters is made harder by rondo's passivity.

2) we get very little of the fast break and hurry up points that rondo should get given his quickness because he's afraid of going to that place where he's only 26% successful.

3) ray allen in particular suffers because rondo's man can afford to sag into the lane and give ray an extra hassle coming off of curls and screens.  ray is too old to endure that crap and still be effective in the 100th game.

4) pierce's high post game is hampered because it's harder than it should be for him to get the ball.

5) the celtics would be much better off with nate robinson at point when rondo goes passive / brickmaster at the free throw line.  nate can keep defenses honest with a consistent outisde shot and i really like the way nate is showing a progression toward maturity. 

so let's hear you talk yourself out of the 26% free throws.  a real stat.  a real headache for the team and anyone watching it who knows squat about basketball. 

i'm willing to bet a large amount of money that no starting point guard in league history ever EVER put up a finals series where he CHOKED from the charity stripe to the dreamy efficiency level of 26%.  maybe izzy abraham shot that bad in 1947 when everyone averaged 4 points a game, but not in the modern game.  not even close.

and here's a little more for you- when rondo was disappeared the hardest, from games 3-6, when he shot 1-8 from the line (12.5%!!), he also averaged a miserable 6.25 dimes per game while managing 2.75 turnovers per game.  not exactly knock 'em dead numbers for a guard with rondo's skill set. 

this BASIC STATISTIC proves out my theory of passivity with rondo.  he's out there to be a facilitator and he wasn't doing it.

so, it would appear that you get roped into the fool's gold of some flashy SPORADIC individual stats instead of how having a free throw shooting eyesore of a point guard effects his own play, aggressiveness levels and how it impacts the TEAM play and wearing down on the 2/3 position, people who we cannot afford to have extra wear and tear being put onto- they're too old for it.

i'm a big rondo fan as soon as he shoots 70% freebies for a season and uncorks the jumper as it presents itself not just for the playoffs but all the time.  until he does that he is demonstrating to us all that he is unable to lead this team during nut cupping time because he's just a wild card.  "turning it on" for the playoffs just doesn't work. 

now that we have a viable back up point guard, why not slide rajon onto the bench when he passes up the open jumpers and put nate in there, because he'll take them and make life easy on the team?  this is what should have happened starting in year 2 with rondo.  we're now in year 5 and nobody in the franchise seems to care what the kid does and how he does it.  head case is what they used to call this sort of junk.  and it's what it still is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo nick names : listen you can wax bullcrap to me, but it won't stick to the wall.  rondo began the disappearance act in game 5 vs. orlando and from then on he shot 13 for 35 from the charity stripe .  that's a lowly 37% .  so there's one real stat for you to shove into your pipe and smoke. strictly within the laker series, "brick" shot 5 for 19 from the charity stripe- a whopping and disgusting 26% .  what do you call that? the entire nature of his game changed from aggressive and disruptive (to the other team) to the vast majority of minutes played spent being passive and destructive to OUR team through lack of balls to shoot the open jumper or do much driving of the lane (since that might lead to fouls). i watched all 7 games.  i watch all regular season games.  i dvr'd all the playoff games and burned them to disk.  when rondo is good, he's great for the team.  and when he's bad for the team, through brickery at the free throw line that translates into passivity on offense and not freely shooting the jumper here's what's happens: 1) the opposing defense rightly sees fit to contract into the lane and the celts are functionally 4 on 5 on offense and all business conducted in the paint and by cutters or high posters is made harder by rondo's passivity. 2) we get very little of the fast break and hurry up points that rondo should get given his quickness because he's afraid of going to that place where he's only 26% successful. 3) ray allen in particular suffers because rondo's man can afford to sag into the lane and give ray an extra hassle coming off of curls and screens.  ray is too old to endure that crap and still be effective in the 100th game. 4) pierce's high post game is hampered because it's harder than it should be for him to get the ball. 5) the celtics would be much better off with nate robinson at point when rondo goes passive / brickmaster at the free throw line.  nate can keep defenses honest with a consistent outisde shot and i really like the way nate is showing a progression toward maturity.  so let's hear you talk yourself out of the 26% free throws.  a real stat.  a real headache for the team and anyone watching it who knows squat about basketball.  i'm willing to bet a large amount of money that no starting point guard in league history ever EVER put up a finals series where he CHOKED from the charity stripe to the dreamy efficiency level of 26%.  maybe izzy abraham shot that bad in 1947 when everyone averaged 4 points a game, but not in the modern game.  not even close. and here's a little more for you- when rondo was disappeared the hardest, from games 3-6, when he shot 1-8 from the line ( 12.5%!!) , he also averaged a miserable 6.25 dimes per game while managing 2.75 turnovers per game.  not exactly knock 'em dead numbers for a guard with rondo's skill set.  this BASIC STATISTIC proves out my theory of passivity with rondo.  he's out there to be a facilitator and he wasn't doing it. so, it would appear that you get roped into the fool's gold of some flashy SPORADIC individual stats instead of how having a free throw shooting eyesore of a point guard effects his own play, aggressiveness levels and how it impacts the TEAM play and wearing down on the 2/3 position, people who we cannot afford to have extra wear and tear being put onto- they're too old for it. i'm a big rondo fan as soon as he shoots 70% freebies for a season and uncorks the jumper as it presents itself not just for the playoffs but all the time.  until he does that he is demonstrating to us all that he is unable to lead this team during nut cupping time because he's just a wild card.  "turning it on" for the playoffs just doesn't work.  now that we have a viable back up point guard, why not slide rajon onto the bench when he passes up the open jumpers and put nate in there, because he'll take them and make life easy on the team?  this is what should have happened starting in year 2 with rondo.  we're now in year 5 and nobody in the franchise seems to care what the kid does and how he does it.  head case is what they used to call this sort of junk.  and it's what it still is.
    Posted by aciemvp

So, how about we call him The Mason, might motivate him to fix the one really weak part of his game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

With a name like Rajon Rondo who needs a nickname?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo nick names : So, how about we call him The Mason, might motivate him to fix the one really weak part of his game.
    Posted by jeezem

Jeezem: FTs don't really need fixin' according to JerryCole's calculations.

J/C sez that Rondo's poor FT shooting against the Laker amounted to a net loss of only 1 point per game. No big deal... apparently! Wouldn't have made any difference.

Yea..... right!

Pud

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo nick names : So, how about we call him The Mason, might motivate him to fix the one really weak part of his game.
    Posted by jeezem

well, i had come up with the nick name 'brick' to sum up this issue. 

and then jerry cole crawled out of his hole and had to be set straight on his dazzling opinion of how well young brick did vs. the lakers.

i'm still in favor of 'brick'.

but i'm really in favor of giving nate the ball when rondo goes stinko.  and by my definition of willingness to shoot the open J with no hesitation, rondo stank all of last year save for the last 10 games.  and that's what he's done now for three years.  starts boning up the last few games of the year, it's outrageous. 

you can take the all star game and fake accolades like that but the real rondo showed up in the finals.  a young man who simply hasn't devoted enough of his precious self to stroking that jumper.  it's a real shame and blunder in talent development.  i thought we were past the days of that.

and i challenge merry jerry and any other person on here to name me three all time 'great' or elite point guards who couldn't shoot a basic J and clanged freebies at a career average of 60% into year 5. 

magic doesn't even count.  he came into the league shooting 80% from the line and rapidly developed a J so that by the start of year 3 he was keeping defenses honest.

tony parker doesn't compare either- tony had a weak jumper and free throw his first year and worked it out that summer and has always been respectable since and never shot less than 70% freebies since.

rose up in chicago doesn't compare either.  he's been over 70% free throws for years now.  and his mid range jumper has never been ineffective or as shy in ability to dispatch as rondo.

so find me some that compare to rondo.  some former all-stars and all time greats like everyone thinks brick is who were brick artists from the field and the line.  and by the way, jason kidd doesn't fit the bill either.  check his stats.  he shot 68.5% freebies through four years that really were only three years or less due to injury and then has been over 80% since for a career average of 78% and capable outside shooting.  not knock 'em dead but good enough.

the problem is that brick is already an all time great in his own mind and doesn't feel any urgency to work on it.  maybe last year's finals embarrassed him into working on it?  we can only hope but i wouldn't hold your breath on it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Road Runner

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

These Nicknames are all very good but I like to call him the Blade and occasionally I call him the Razor. The name he deserves is his own but hey we are talking ficticious names that draw recognition...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

.................................S P I D E R M A N ................................

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

"quick brick" ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdgurley. Show kdgurley's posts

rajon "the green goblin" rondo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

either brick or rajon 'kobe's stooge' rondo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1328916. Show user_1328916's posts

I believe it was Kenny Smith who came up with Grand Theft Rondo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo nick names  the problem is that brick is already an all time great in his own mind and doesn't feel any urgency to work on it.  maybe last year's finals embarrassed him into working on it?  we can only hope but i wouldn't hold your breath on it.
    Posted by aciemvp

I am particularly concerned that Rondo is trying out for the USA Team  this year instead of resting and dedicating himself to working on his shooting woes during the off season.

He puts more importance on international exposure and improving his "merchandizing brand" than rounding out his shooting game at home with few watching.

How utterly Rondo!

Pud

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo nick names : I am particularly concerned that Rondo is trying out for the USA Team  this year instead of resting and dedicating himself to working on his shooting woes during the off season. He puts more importance on international exposure and improving his "merchandizing brand" than rounding out his shooting game at home with few watching. How utterly Rondo! Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

well, there you have it.  he's probably gandered around the league and figures he needs some new merch deals to keep up with the chris pauls and deron williamses on the block money-wise.

i for one am glad that we have robinson on hand for a full year's time.  at least the guy can shoot free throws and a jumper and i really liked the way he passed the ball last year once he got off the bench.

we shall see.  i predict another pre-season of rondo shooting 50% free throws.... and few of them at that, to "sacrifice" for the team.  then another first and second trimester of the season maybe poking that FT% up to 59.2% and perhaps edging it over 60% in the last 15 games when he "starts to try".  what an old song.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

So many posts and so little truth.  Sigh.

I don't have time to correct them all, so I'll just refute a few of the most glaring.

Acie continues to talk about Rondo's "Finals disapperance", a myth that he, Pud, and a couple of Laker trolls have been peddling since the Finals ended.

All of them continue to ignore a simple fact - Rondo's total producton in the Finals was exactly 0NE-TENTH OF ONE PERCENT below his regular season average.  That's the production level that earned him an All-Star berth.  So, despite being guarded by a first team All-NBA defender, Rondo CONTINUED TO PRODUCE AT AN All-Star level.

Acie challenged me to talk myself "out of the 26% FTs" and Pud chimed in with this gem: "JC says Rondo's poor FT shooting against the Lakers amounted to a loss of only 1 point per game..........Yeah, right."

Clearly Pud wants you to believe that my saying it isn't proof of anything, and Acie thinks that 5-19 FT shooting is the end of the world.  Well, here are the facts: 5 made FTs out of 19 taken is an average of two misses per game.  But let's remember that no one makes FTs at a 100% rate, and Acie has stated that he would be satisfied if Rondo shot them at a 70% rate.  OK, since 70% of 19 is 13, that means that Rondo's poor FT shooting cost the Celtics 8 points over 7 games - which is an average of 1.1 points per game.  So it isn't what "JC said", its what the numbers prove. 

And anyone who wants to make a big deal out of 1 point per game in a series in which no game was decided by one point, is simply trying desperately to justify his opinion in the face of clear-cut evidence that his opinion is in conflict with the basic facts.

More to come.  Gotta run.  (Absolutely not runrunrunandrun.)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

So many posts and so little truth.  Sigh. I don't have time to correct them all, so I'll just refute a few of the most glaring. Acie continues to talk about Rondo's "Finals disapperance", a myth that he, Pud, and a couple of Laker trolls have been peddling since the Finals ended. All of them continue to ignore a simple fact - Rondo's total producton in the Finals was exactly 0NE-TENTH OF ONE PERCENT below his regular season average.  That's the production level that earned him an All-Star berth.  So, despite being guarded by a first team All-NBA defender, Rondo CONTINUED TO PRODUCE AT AN All-Star level. Acie challenged me to talk myself "out of the 26% FTs" and Pud chimed in with this gem: "JC says Rondo's poor FT shooting against the Lakers amounted to a loss of only 1 point per game..........Yeah, right." Clearly Pud wants you to believe that my saying it isn't proof of anything, and Acie thinks that 5-19 FT shooting is the end of the world.  Well, here are the facts: 5 made FTs out of 19 taken is an average of two misses per game.  But let's remember that no one makes FTs at a 100% rate, and Acie has stated that he would be satisfied if Rondo shot them at a 70% rate.  OK, since 70% of 19 is 13, that means that Rondo's poor FT shooting cost the Celtics 8 points over 7 games - which is an average of 1.1 points per game.  So it isn't what "JC said", its what the numbers prove.  And anyone who wants to make a big deal out of 1 point per game in a series in which no game was decided by one point, is simply trying desperately to justify his opinion in the face of clear-cut evidence that his opinion is in conflict with the basic facts. More to come.  Gotta run.  (Absolutely not runrunrunandrun.)
    Posted by jerrycole

JerryCole: You are a clown.

Pud

Sections
Shortcuts