Rondo no longer top 10 NBA PG according to A. Sherrod Blakely!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Rondo no longer top 10 NBA PG according to A. Sherrod Blakely!!!

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/rondo-still-top-10-point-guard-nba" rel="nofollow">http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/rondo-still-top-10-point-guard-nba

BOSTON — Prior to Rajon Rondo's torn right ACL injury, he was widely considered one of the top five point guards in the NBA.

Today, he may not even be in the top 10.

There's little doubt that Rondo will be a better player next season as his legs continue to get stronger. But even with stronger wheels, Rondo will hard-pressed to regain a spot among the elite point guards in the NBA.

The first round of the playoffs was a coming out party of sorts for point guards such as Portland's Damian Lillard, Washington's John Wall, Memphis' Mike Conley and Atlanta's Jeff Teague.

They join an already crowded VIP club of playmakers that's led by Los Angeles Clippers Chris Paul, Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook and Golden State's Stephen Curry.

And let's not forget about Brooklyn's Deron Williams, Cleveland's Kyrie Irving or San Antonio's Tony Parker who has been the best player for the Spurs the past couple of years.

Rondo's unclear status among his point guard brethren isn't that big a deal for the Boston Celtics. After all, they won a title in 2008 with him at the helm prior to his emergence as one of the game's best passers. But at that time, Rondo was a player on the rise with a long and tremendously bright future.

No one considers Rondo over the hill now that he's 28 years old, but the torn ACL injury has given many a reason to pause before anointing his return to top-5 point guard status.

Because of the uncertainty surrounding both Rondo's future and the Celtics in terms of building their roster, it's unlikely the two will get a deal done prior to him hitting free agency in the summer of 2015 unless he's willing to leave some money on the table in exchange for job security in the form of a long-term contract -- a scenario that seems highly unlikely.

So what do you think: Is Rondo still a top-10 point guard?

A. Sherrod Blakely serves as Comcast SportsNet's NBA Insider. Read more from Sherrod here, or follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

My answer is a definite NO!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

It's pretty bad when the guy who covers the team says the dude is going by the wayside in the NBA, leg injury or no. Frankly, people here get all upset when I suggest Rondo walks when his contract is up because he'll want top dollar and DA won't give it to him and shouldn't give it to him based on what he brings to the team and that was before he wrecked his leg.

Rondo a top ten PG and staying with the Celtics? As the article puts it..."a scenario that seems highly unlikely."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: Rondo no longer top 10 NBA PG according to A. Sherrod Blakely!!!

conley is small in stature but possesses your basic point guard skills- passing, shooting open shots, some steals, solid free throws.  i'd rather have conley all day long than rondo.  there has been tangible growth in conley's skill set and stat profile.  i can't say the same for rondo.  he's still a 60% brick master from the free throw line and now that he started taking more outside shots this year, finally, the results were bad, and not due to get any better.

it's not fair to blame rondo 100%- he took what was given to him- carte blanche by danny and doc and declined to improve his shooting game and become more disciplined in individual defense.  it's really a tragic story in talent mismanagement in the history of the celts franchise.  rondo would be MVP material if he:

1) was a tempo pusher instead of a staller

2) canned open J's with basic proficiency

3) shot 75% free throws and did NOT avoid contact like he does to avoid FTA's

4) bent his knees and pestered his man like tony allen does instead of gambling el toro style for steal stats

that's not that much to ask, but danny and doc never put implemented any consequences for rondo failing to become a solid fundamental player.  rondo when he played to his razzle dazzle hurry-up tempo pace was an exciting player to watch, warts and all.  the last 2-3 years have been horrible to watch

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

I don't think Rondo is a top ten pg, I also don't think he is a horrible cancer as half the people on this board make him out to be.

He is going to be gone before, during or after next season.  He isn't the answer and he isn't the problem. He is just another good player in the NBA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

melly wants a cookie. 

bp

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think Rondo is a top ten pg, I also don't think he is a horrible cancer as half the people on this board make him out to be.

He is going to be gone before, during or after next season.  He isn't the answer and he isn't the problem. He is just another good player in the NBA.

[/QUOTE]

Wow, what a brilliant statement....in fact, it leaves no other alternative for Rondos departure, you covered it all. I bet that took deep thinking that only an unemployed writer has time to do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

melly wants a cookie. 

bp

[/QUOTE]

I got a tasty one thanks to the guy who covers the C's for a living...he agrees with me about Rondo probably walking, so deal him away asap!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

melly wants a cookie. 

bp

[/QUOTE]

I got a tasty one thanks to the guy who covers the C's for a living...he agrees with me about Rondo probably walking, so deal him away asap!

[/QUOTE]

we really do need to deal him over the summer.    he books 13 million next year and plays 8 million dollar ball.  catch some GM this summer who is cap slappy or drunk and trade rondo for whatever you can get

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Rondo is a very talented player, but also very limited (obviously). You mention all those PGs but none of them have dropped a 45/15/5 game in the playoffs nor two triple doubles (except RW). Those young guys are up and coming but no matter how you slice it, Rondo comes to play in the playoffs.

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

[QUOTE]

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/rondo-still-top-10-point-guard-nba" rel="nofollow">http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/rondo-still-top-10-point-guard-nba" rel="nofollow">http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/rondo-still-top-10-point-guard-nba

BOSTON — Prior to Rajon Rondo's torn right ACL injury, he was widely considered one of the top five point guards in the NBA.

There's little doubt that Rondo will be a better player next season as his legs continue to get stronger. But even with stronger wheels, Rondo will hard-pressed to regain a spot among the elite point guards in the NBA.

The first round of the playoffs was a coming out party of sorts for point guards such as Portland's Damian Lillard, Washington's John Wall, Memphis' Mike Conley and Atlanta's Jeff Teague.

They join an already crowded VIP club of playmakers that's led by Los Angeles Clippers Chris Paul, Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook and Golden State's Stephen Curry.

And let's not forget about Brooklyn's Deron Williams, Cleveland's Kyrie Irving or San Antonio's Tony Parker who has been the best player for the Spurs the past couple of years.

Rondo's unclear status among his point guard brethren isn't that big a deal for the Boston Celtics. After all, they won a title in 2008 with him at the helm prior to his emergence as one of the game's best passers. But at that time, Rondo was a player on the rise with a long and tremendously bright future.

No one considers Rondo over the hill now that he's 28 years old, but the torn ACL injury has given many a reason to pause before anointing his return to top-5 point guard status.

Because of the uncertainty surrounding both Rondo's future and the Celtics in terms of building their roster, it's unlikely the two will get a deal done prior to him hitting free agency in the summer of 2015 unless he's willing to leave some money on the table in exchange for job security in the form of a long-term contract -- a scenario that seems highly unlikely.

A. Sherrod Blakely serves as Comcast SportsNet's NBA Insider. Read more from Sherrod here, or follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

It's pretty bad when the guy who covers the team says the dude is going by the wayside in the NBA, leg injury or no. Frankly, people here get all upset when I suggest Rondo walks when his contract is up because he'll want top dollar and DA won't give it to him and shouldn't give it to him based on what he brings to the team and that was before he wrecked his leg.

Rondo a top ten PG and staying with the Celtics? As the article puts it..."a scenario that seems highly unlikely."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

[/QUOTE]

I TELL YOU WHAT, RONDO IS WAY BETTER THAN DERON WILLIAMS OR KYLE LOWERY........

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i'm still looking for the park where blakely (whoever that is) says rondo is not top 10. looks to me like you switched up the title of his article to make it fit your preconceived notion.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, everyone loves to bash Rondo. but he's a talent. might not be a top 3 or 5 PG bcz of his shooting inabilities but like I said, he has two playoff Tri-Dubs and a 45/15/5 game too. Not many people in HISTORY can say that. he comes to play on the big stage, undeniable truth.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

In response to 37stories' comment:

Wow, what a brilliant statement....in fact, it leaves no other alternative for Rondos departure, you covered it all. I bet that took deep thinking that only an unemployed writer has time to do.

Are you really this numb? The other option is that he could sign a contract with the Celtics. That was exactly my point, there is no alternative. He is leaving whether it be before, during or after next season.

You are spectacularly stupid. You should buy one of my books and read it. Slowly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, everyone loves to bash Rondo. but he's a talent. might not be a top 3 or 5 PG bcz of his shooting inabilities but like I said, he has two playoff Tri-Dubs and a 45/15/5 game too. Not many people in HISTORY can say that. he comes to play on the big stage, undeniable truth.

[/QUOTE]

i for one have always stated the obvious- rondo, if he sorted out his skill set, he would be MVP material.  (and why  he hasn't is a mystery- he shot durant to a standstill on LONG 3 pointers a couple years ago all star weekend in an unofficial game of h-o-r-s-e, it ran so long that the announcers were getting fidgety about being late for a break.  durant finally won but rondo hit shot after shot from DEEP 3)

few players in the game have what used to be his quickness and ability to agitate a game. 

however, as time wore on, there was less agitation and more stat sheet filling from rondo.  he has not been exciting to watch for years and morphed into a tempo stalling head case who did that to hide from 1) drawing contact on fast breaks and hurry-ups (eliminate most of those and you don't have to shoot free throws) and 2) holding the ball too long so that the likelihood of it coming back to him on a natural swing-of-the-ball for an easy open shot was almost nil.

i stand behind what i said- the mismanagement of rondo's talents is one of the biggest blunders in the history of this franchise.  he was never DEVELOPED in earnest because he was never pushed one bit to develop from doc or danny.  so we go from mvp potential / perennial all league defense potential / top 5 point guard to gettin' paid 13M on a backload deal he never earned, that he's not worth, and expecting a big raise when he plays 8 million dollar ball at best

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

melly wants a cookie. 

bp

NO. Mellie wants just props for being on the right side of this debate. Fact is, WRongdo served a great purpose this season. He helped the Cs lose by the fact that he is not a closer who could put away games in which they  had big leads, nor could he make THE shot to ice a game at the rate that an elite PG in the NBA should. Rondo is now Gondo. The only thing ever in doubt was when it would happen. Melly and many others here knew that it wouldn't be long, and it won't be now. This season was a throw away form the beginning, no harm no foul. Tanking strategy worked better with Wrongdo on the floor anyway. He proved his leg is serviceable. Now we can only hope there's a sucker out there who will have his weak psyche...... C YA GONDO! Don't let the door hitcha...................

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Rondo isn't a fit with this team and he probably wants a max contract and needs to be moved, that said, when I see wacky stuff like this: 

"Now we can only hope there's a sucker out there who will have his weak psyche."

He won a ring with the Cs, was on the Finals team that could have won again, and was heading to MVP of that series. Against the Heat he was the best player on the floor for several games. He's shown he can play in tough postseason games and is deserving of more respect than vicious name calling by those who have never played NBA ball. 

"nor could he make THE shot to ice a game at the rate that an elite PG in the NBA should."

Jason Kidd was widely considered an elite NBA point guard long before he could hit a three ball regularly. Nor do you need an elite point guard to win championships in the NBA. 

That said I do agree with Sherrod, some young guys have passed him and I don't currently have him in my top ten PGs either. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

There is DEFINITELY a shift on this board with more and more blind ex Rondo supporters in denial now understanding the comparative limitations of Rondo's game and value.

I also think that the improvement of many younger PGs in the league will diminish Rondo's trade value further.

Maybe Houston and Dallas are still in play, but Rondo will NOT not return value that Danny could have gotten in December or Feb IMO.  I now fear that Rondo could very well walk as a FA. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

I now fear that Rondo could very well walk as a FA.

don't fret yourself, dunker. that likelihood not substantial.

bp

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

To be fair he never states Rondo isn't a top ten PG and only he list only 9 PG's that he asks if Rondo is better. So he is implying that Rondo is the 10th best PG, and higher it is a debate. Also Deron Williams isn't a super star anymore.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is DEFINITELY a shift on this board with more and more blind ex Rondo supporters in denial now understanding the comparative limitations of Rondo's game and value.

I also think that the improvement of many younger PGs in the league will diminish Rondo's trade value further.

Maybe Houston and Dallas are still in play, but Rondo will NOT not return value that Danny could have gotten in December or Feb IMO.  I now fear that Rondo could very well walk as a FA. 

[/QUOTE]

For hugely mismanaging/codling this talent, DA deserves nothing better than to have Rondo walk.

"No good deed goes unpunished," as the old saying goes.... and just maybe Danny learns something.

Pud

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/rondo-still-top-10-point-guard-nba" rel="nofollow">http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/rondo-still-top-10-point-guard-nba" rel="nofollow">http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/rondo-still-top-10-point-guard-nba" rel="nofollow">http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/rondo-still-top-10-point-guard-nba" rel="nofollow">http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/rondo-still-top-10-point-guard-nba

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

[/QUOTE]

I TELL YOU WHAT, RONDO IS WAY BETTER THAN DERON WILLIAMS OR KYLE LOWERY........

[/QUOTE]

You must be sharing the same pipe as commy

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i'm still looking for the park where blakely (whoever that is) says rondo is not top 10. looks to me like you switched up the title of his article to make it fit your preconceived notion.

[/QUOTE]

Who cares? BWAHAHAHA...I hate the guy...he's NOT a great PG any longer...he's going to walk...and he is a well known head case..trade him for Westbrook? No way, that's just trading a true ball hog nut job for our ball hog nutjob. If we're going to start over, let's really get started before the inscrutable one destroys the psyche of a young coach and new young players.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

melly wants a cookie. 

bp

NO. Mellie wants just props for being on the right side of this debate. Fact is, WRongdo served a great purpose this season. He helped the Cs lose by the fact that he is not a closer who could put away games in which they  had big leads, nor could he make THE shot to ice a game at the rate that an elite PG in the NBA should. Rondo is now Gondo. The only thing ever in doubt was when it would happen. Melly and many others here knew that it wouldn't be long, and it won't be now. This season was a throw away form the beginning, no harm no foul. Tanking strategy worked better with Wrongdo on the floor anyway. He proved his leg is serviceable. Now we can only hope there's a sucker out there who will have his weak psyche...... C YA GONDO! Don't let the door hitcha...................

[/QUOTE]

RALLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey dudenik, what's happening!????

You got it right man...Rondon't must go for all the right reasons...he's a good, not great, PG who lacks an all around game and no longer plays anything but 'matador D" as J. Most used to call it. Nope, he should be looking for greener pastures for both party's sake...thanks for all you've done, now it's time to have a  chance to achieve greatness for some other NBA franchise.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

i'm thinking danny will send 9 to represent boston at the lottery on the 20th. how cool would that be? :)

bp

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Poetic justice if he ends up announcing the pick to be used to replace him...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!