Rondo problem

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Rondo problem

The Celtics are so predictable when Rondo is in the game.  On offense he holds holds the ball until we get a good shot or most of the time shoot the ball under pressure late in the clock.  When he is in the game our defense breaks down like the first quarter (Suns) and the third quarter tonight. The offense Doc and Rondo run does not work for this team.  Rondo is a near allstar and at this time he is the fourth best guard we have be cause he does not fit with the new team.  The ball needs to move more and not stick in Rondo and Paul's hands for long periods of time.  Lee, Barbosa and Terry work hard on defense.  Sullinger plays smart and hard.  The ball needs to get up the court faster (sometimes by the pass) and the ball needs to move more AND the players need to move more.  The second unit is beginning to do this but the first unit plays isolation too much.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Re: Rondo problem

Third quarter disaster, they take the ball our of Rondo's carless hands and Doc is forced to call a time our, fourth quarte Rondo throws the ball away without much pressure,  we will not win against the good teams with Rondo playing like this.  Fourth quarte and we have a 10 point lead, this is when Rondo is at his best, I hope we hold on this one.  I am not saying Rondo can not do it , but I am saying the guy needs a gut check and needs to get serious all the time.  He plays in spurts and that is not good enought this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Lackluster game by Rondo at best, off of a night off because of suspension Rondo played hot and cold , like most of the time.  Second rate guard use him.  He was at best a defensive liabilty tonight.  Rondo's team, MVP, no way, he is just too coool.  Never know with him he does his jeckel and hyde routine a lot.  May need a change of scenery.   May be great but he is not showing it.  He does play well in spurts, mabey he go on a second half of the year spurt like last year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

you clearly have already made up your mind about rondo, and watch the game with an eye for finding his faults. focus like that on any player, and its eady to pick apart their game. fortunately, rondo's numbers over the last several years paint a different, more objective  picture, i.e. one that portrays an extraordinarily valuable player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Lee, Terry and second unit save the game period.  Rondo contributes by getting a T on the sideline.  Rondo is talented but this is a new team and isolation or holding the ball does not work.  Rondo a near allstar needs to change his game so he can fit in.  Doc needs to adjust the offense, move the ball and players more and look for good shots and penetrations and kick outs.  Great job last two game by the bench.  I have not made up my mind about Rondo , I am a coach and he needs a attitude and game adjustment.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Rondo great numbers have not produced wins this year, yea if noone touches the ball but him , yea great numbers, but open your eyes and see what we are doing when we win.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to shamrock1000's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you clearly have already made up your mind about rondo, and watch the game with an eye for finding his faults. focus like that on any player, and its eady to pick apart their game. fortunately, rondo's numbers over the last several years paint a different, more objective  picture, i.e. one that portrays an extraordinarily valuable player.

[/QUOTE]

not sure what you're smoking, but it must be STRONG!!

rondo is in his SEVENTH YEAR with this team and remains a lackadaisical defense player who gambles too much for steals and at other times just doesn't try.  doc has stated for years now that "rondo runs this team"- as in doc IS NOT calling each play each time up the floor.

so the incompleteness of rondo's game leads to him ball-hogging so he doesn't have to go hide in the corner since he can't/won't hid the outside J consistently and keep his man honest. 

the stats paint a picture of a point guard who almost COULD be elite-  you can never be an elite point guard shooting right around 60% FT's and NOT using all of your physical gifts to your advantage.  rondo should be 5 FTA's per game due to his quickness, however, much of the time he acts like if he drove to draw a foul his limbs might fall off.  that's how badly he doesn't want to shoot free throws.

sure he'll try a LITTLE MORE in the playoffs but since the "hot streak" is not a normal occurrence, he falls flat every time.  they used to call this sandbaggin' and players used to NOT get 10 million per year extensions until they could shoot free throws straight (for point guards).  and be a complete player.

but rondo was special, so we pre-paid him for that "complete all around game" potential that has never transformed into actual achievment- offensively or defensively.  steals stats based on gambling is one thing.  being a good sniffer outer of pass alleys and getting steals without letting your man loose to drive the lane totally unguarded is something else. 

the latter is most of what rondo STILL DOES to this day on D

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Now that I have children I just feel safer with a gun in the house.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

I believe Doc wants to kill the clock and keep the score under 100 for us to have the best chance of winning. I can not believe RR kills the clock all on his own and Doc just allows it to happen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to genaro008's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I believe Doc wants to kill the clock and keep the score under 100 for us to have the best chance of winning. I can not believe RR kills the clock all on his own and Doc just allows it to happen.

[/QUOTE]

Why does the second team push then?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

I think he believes our bench can out score the other teams bench. I just do not think RR kills the clock on his own I dont under stand it mind you just trying to make sense of it.

Any reason why Barbosa did not play tonight?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

RR makes me cheer the pull my hair out in consecutive plays.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

the stats paint a picture of a point guard who almost COULD be elite-  you can never be an elite point guard shooting right around 60% FT's and NOT using all of your physical gifts to your advantage.  rondo should be 5 FTA's per game due to his quickness, however, much of the time he acts like if he drove to draw a foul his limbs might fall off.  that's how badly he doesn't want to shoot free throws.

sure he'll try a LITTLE MORE in the playoffs but since the "hot streak" is not a normal occurrence, he falls flat every time.  they used to call this sandbaggin' and players used to NOT get 10 million per year extensions until they could shoot free throws straight (for point guards).  and be a complete player.

[/QUOTE]

I think it's smart not to throw your body around too much in the regular season.  Rondo seems to have made this conscious decision a couple of years ago to conserve his body for the bigger picture.  I don't think Derrick Rose will be doing it as much as he used to when he comes back from the knee.  He learned the hard way, Rondo is smarter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to passfirst's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to aciemvp's comment:

[/QUOTE]

I think it's smart not to throw your body around too much in the regular season.  Rondo seems to have made this conscious decision a couple of years ago to conserve his body for the bigger picture.  I don't think Derrick Rose will be doing it as much as he used to when he comes back from the knee.  He learned the hard way, Rondo is smarter.

[/QUOTE]

So this is what passes for giving less than 100% these days. I guess he can afford to do so considering the gifts he's been given physically. If this is new school, give me old school anyday. Can anyone say, Randy Moss?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Seems the worse Rondos stats get, the better the team gets. Wonder if theres a message in this

People place way too much value in stats.. they are mostly meaningless if you cant put them in perspective..

For ex, for years Rondo has had a vg shooting percentage.. reading the stat line one would conclude hes a vg shooter...until upon further investigation (like watching the games) one would realize Rondos great shooting percentage was because he rarely took a shot beyond 5 feet away because he was a terrible shooter.  Stats dont tell the whole story.

One night Bass may grab 10 rebounds.. Six could be the result of the opposing team having an awful night at the FT line and the ball dropping in his hands ..  Did Bass have a big rebound game

Maybe Doc will  either grow some nuts or smarts and stop the domination of the ball in Rondos hands.. Even Michael Jordan learned the hard way that no one player can win a title... ball has to move and be shared, everyone has to be part of the team.  Wilt's another great example... the greatest statistical player in nba history and its not even close.. won 2 titles but only one dominating the ball

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Its exasperating to watch a kid this talented so fundamentally skrewed up. Four suspensions in less than a year... and R9R thinks that it is all a joke.

The refs are finally tightening down on R9R and he has absolutely nowhere to hide.

This story is going to have a very unhappy ending.

Its simply a matter of time.

Pud

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

The thing that bothers me most with Rondo is walking the ball up the floor and starting our offense with 14 seconds to go.  After one or two passes and the ball is back in Rondos hands we are stuck because he doesn't do a good job of creating for himself other that drives to the basket.  He has to get the ball up the floor quicker and get rid of the ball, then there is time for him to get it back and create something, if it hasn't already developed.

We just came off a good game without him, plenty of assists so that shows the ball doesn't need to be stuck in his hands all the time.  He can be plenty effective without it as well.  We played better without him, PP, KG in the lineup last nite as well.  Not saying we are better without any of these guys,  but they need to adjust their games. Paul looks like he as adjusted. Not near the to's he was having early.  Didn't seem to bother him watching from the bench either.  When Green produces I think we will get PP that added rest so that he can come up big in the big games.   

Barbosa is a good player I don't want to just be a throw in on a deal.  He can make things happen just as quick as Rondo.

RR just has to learn not to hold the ball so long.  Doc needs to get this thru to him.  I wouldn't mind RR trying to score a little more either.  He is perfectly capable of it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The thing that bothers me most with Rondo is walking the ball up the floor and starting our offense with 14 seconds to go.  After one or two passes and the ball is back in Rondos hands we are stuck because he doesn't do a good job of creating for himself other that drives to the basket.  He has to get the ball up the floor quicker and get rid of the ball, then there is time for him to get it back and create something, if it hasn't already developed.

We just came off a good game without him, plenty of assists so that shows the ball doesn't need to be stuck in his hands all the time.  He can be plenty effective without it as well.  We played better without him, PP, KG in the lineup last nite as well.  Not saying we are better without any of these guys,  but they need to adjust their games. Paul looks like he as adjusted. Not near the to's he was having early.  Didn't seem to bother him watching from the bench either.  When Green produces I think we will get PP that added rest so that he can come up big in the big games.   

Barbosa is a good player I don't want to just be a throw in on a deal.  He can make things happen just as quick as Rondo.

RR just has to learn not to hold the ball so long.  Doc needs to get this thru to him.  I wouldn't mind RR trying to score a little more either.  He is perfectly capable of it.

[/QUOTE] When will he learn it, he has been playing like that ever scince his college days and maybe before. He's about 27 now, will he learn it by 30 or 35?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] When will he learn it, he has been playing like that ever scince his college days and maybe before. He's about 27 now, will he learn it by 30 or 35?

[/QUOTE]
    Thats what his coach is supposed to be teaching him... but DOc is too afraid  to even look ROndo in the eyes.. might upset the wuddle guy

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Even though it drives Tommy crazy, I believe the C's walking the ball up the floor is part of the grand design.  Running and attacking the basket wears you out and risks injury.  I believe the c's are deliberately being deliberate.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to maryngary's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Celtics are so predictable when Rondo is in the game.  On offense he holds holds the ball until we get a good shot or most of the time shoot the ball under pressure late in the clock.  When he is in the game our defense breaks down like the first quarter (Suns) and the third quarter tonight. The offense Doc and Rondo run does not work for this team.  Rondo is a near allstar and at this time he is the fourth best guard we have be cause he does not fit with the new team.  The ball needs to move more and not stick in Rondo and Paul's hands for long periods of time.  Lee, Barbosa and Terry work hard on defense.  Sullinger plays smart and hard.  The ball needs to get up the court faster (sometimes by the pass) and the ball needs to move more AND the players need to move more.  The second unit is beginning to do this but the first unit plays isolation too much.  

[/QUOTE]

The second units best scorers are not over 35. the way Pierce and Garnett are. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsince1958. Show celticsince1958's posts

In response to maryngary's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We need to trade Rondo while we can still get some great players in return!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsince1958. Show celticsince1958's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Even though it drives Tommy crazy, I believe the C's walking the ball up the floor is part of the grand design.  Running and attacking the basket wears you out and risks injury.  I believe the c's are deliberately being deliberate.

[/QUOTE]

Trust in Tommy! Rondo wastes too much time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsince1958. Show celticsince1958's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Plus with 7 seconds left and the ball in his hands we almost never score. Do the math. That is one of the reasons we take less shots than most teams.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsince1958. Show celticsince1958's posts

In response to shamrock1000's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not anymore! He is only interested in Rondo.