Rondo + Sully + a real star

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Rondo + Sully + a real star

If we can end up with Rondo, Sully, and a top player/scorer ,  we would be in the conversation.  The draft is not going to help us. .  We are not getting a top pick.  Our best route back is to take the picks we have and all the players, except Rondo and Sully , and turn it into an established star with size, mobility and the ability to create his own shot type guy.  Rondo has too many years on him to wait for the development of dreams from the draft.  IF we go the draft route with our pick, then Rondo needs to go, and years of flustration wait on us.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Re: Rondo + Sully + a real star

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to romneywins' comment:

[QUOTE]

If we can end up with Rondo, Sully, and a top player/scorer ,  we would be in the conversation.  The draft is not going to help us. .  We are not getting a top pick.  Our best route back is to take the picks we have and all the players, except Rondo and Sully , and turn it into an established star with size, mobility and the ability to create his own shot type guy.  Rondo has too many years on him to wait for the development of dreams from the draft.  IF we go the draft route with our pick, then Rondo needs to go, and years of flustration wait on us.

[/QUOTE]

It's like saying our best option is to transfer some of the people on Earth to a Mars colony.

Yes, it can be done, but very unlikely at this point in time.

First question is who is that top scorer/player you're talking about?

Second, is there a team out there willing to give up their star player for picks and our players?

And lastly, how sure are you that we're not going to end up with a top pick?

[/QUOTE]

Good questions, I just think the draft pick we get will not be that high.  For one thing we are winning again and unless Danny does something we will not draft high.  I do not see a top player available but you never know.  $$$ is beginning to be a problem for the Heat.  Anthony is a long long long shot.  Rondo and Sully do give us a base to work from.  Mabey a combination of two good players instead of a superstar, might work.  Most draft picks are at least 3 years away from NBA stardom.  That would be good for Sully and KO but what about Rondo?  It looks to me like if we go the draft route or youth route, that Rondo will be in decline when they are ready.  Say, 3 to five years from now.  It is all speculation but I am 72 and have watched or listened to the Celts for over 50 years and I need a quick fix this time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's like saying our best option is to transfer some of the people on Earth to a Mars colony.

Second, is there a team out there willing to give up their star player for picks and our players?

[/QUOTE]

Good questions, I just think the draft pick we get will not be that high.  For one thing we are winning again and unless Danny does something we will not draft high.  I do not see a top player available but you never know.  $$$ is beginning to be a problem for the Heat.  Anthony is a long long long shot.  Rondo and Sully do give us a base to work from.  Mabey a combination of two good players instead of a superstar, might work.  Most draft picks are at least 3 years away from NBA stardom.  That would be good for Sully and KO but what about Rondo?  It looks to me like if we go the draft route or youth route, that Rondo will be in decline when they are ready.  Say, 3 to five years from now.  It is all speculation but I am 72 and have watched or listened to the Celts for over 50 years and I need a quick fix this time.

[/QUOTE]
    If having spent 72 years on God's green earth your best s hot is a quick fix... my guess is that your time has come and gone.

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I think we revisit the idea of Hayward.

His stock has dropped. I've been reading the Jazz blogs, and they aren't so high on him and would let him walk, especially if they were to somehow land Jabari.

But Hayward is a really good player. As productive as Green, but Hayward does not dissapear. He's clearly the best player on his team right now and is therefore double teamed and paid special attention. Lets think back to the days he played with a productive frontcourt (Jefferson and Millsap). I would argue that Sully is as good as Jefferson and Bass 80% of Millsap. As Sully turns into a star, Hayward can be that 2nd option on the wing. It would be perfect.

Rondo needs smart players around him to be able to maximize his talent. Rondo himself has called Avery a fellow smart player. Sullinger and Olynyk are very smart, BBIQ players. You can tell this because they are productive despite their lack of athleticism. Jeff is just not a smart BBIQ. He is all athleticism. I think Hayward, under Stevens, with Rondo, Bradley, Bass and Sullinger is the right fit.

This starting 5 above is good enough to make us a 6-8 seed, IMO. The final step, the final piece comes from the unexpected. If we trade Jeff for an expiring and a low pick (lets say the minimum value would be Jeff+Bogans for Okafor and the Blazers pick) we have enough cap space with Hump expiring to put in a decent offer on Hayward and Bradley and net a pick in the process.

Now Danny drafts smart. Not Marcus Smart, but smart. We have three picks. Lets say two turn out to be productive players. We then play out next season 2014-15 with our core and a bunch of potential guys on the bench. At the trade deadline or end of next year we are looking at our core PLUS 4 young assets, a near expiring in Wallace and 2 2015 1st round picks. This is when you make the next big move based upon our greatest need. Perhaps Sully plays very well at the 5 and we can go get a Serge Ibaka type to play the 4. Maybe Sully is a beast on 4's but needs a shot blocking defensive 5. Maybe we need a couple of role guys off the bench.

This is how you rebuild!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ainge already said he will build through the draft.

So far Ainge's moves is the opposite of a quick fix.

Ainge is stockpiling on draft picks.

He even allowed the Heat to dump Joel Anthony's contract on the Celts.

That 3.8m for Joel Anthony next season hurts the Celts' salary cap situation.

Also, we're not sure Ainge will keep Rondo.

Rondo could be traded on draft night.

Like Ray Allen was traded for the #5 pick back in 2007.

Ainge will pull the trigger if a team offers a lottery pick for Rondo.

[/QUOTE]

Agree.  If Ainge doesn't pull off any deals by the deadline then we are stuck rebuilding thru the draft. That's why it's very important to get a top 3 pick this year. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Pud rudeness was not part of the character Barney.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

In response to R9R's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think we revisit the idea of Hayward.

His stock has dropped. I've been reading the Jazz blogs, and they aren't so high on him and would let him walk, especially if they were to somehow land Jabari.

But Hayward is a really good player. As productive as Green, but Hayward does not dissapear. He's clearly the best player on his team right now and is therefore double teamed and paid special attention. Lets think back to the days he played with a productive frontcourt (Jefferson and Millsap). I would argue that Sully is as good as Jefferson and Bass 80% of Millsap. As Sully turns into a star, Hayward can be that 2nd option on the wing. It would be perfect.

Rondo needs smart players around him to be able to maximize his talent. Rondo himself has called Avery a fellow smart player. Sullinger and Olynyk are very smart, BBIQ players. You can tell this because they are productive despite their lack of athleticism. Jeff is just not a smart BBIQ. He is all athleticism. I think Hayward, under Stevens, with Rondo, Bradley, Bass and Sullinger is the right fit.

This starting 5 above is good enough to make us a 6-8 seed, IMO. The final step, the final piece comes from the unexpected. If we trade Jeff for an expiring and a low pick (lets say the minimum value would be Jeff+Bogans for Okafor and the Blazers pick) we have enough cap space with Hump expiring to put in a decent offer on Hayward and Bradley and net a pick in the process.

Now Danny drafts smart. Not Marcus Smart, but smart. We have three picks. Lets say two turn out to be productive players. We then play out next season 2014-15 with our core and a bunch of potential guys on the bench. At the trade deadline or end of next year we are looking at our core PLUS 4 young assets, a near expiring in Wallace and 2 2015 1st round picks. This is when you make the next big move based upon our greatest need. Perhaps Sully plays very well at the 5 and we can go get a Serge Ibaka type to play the 4. Maybe Sully is a beast on 4's but needs a shot blocking defensive 5. Maybe we need a couple of role guys off the bench.

This is how you rebuild!

[/QUOTE]

I would like this route.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

[QUOTE]

Some posters misconstrue what Danny means when he says "rebuild through the draft."

Danny recognizes that picks are important assets moreso than the actual player derived from those picks (see quote below*) in most instances. When he says rebuild through the draft I don't believe he is indicating that he'd keep those picks and use them for players to be groomed as future Celtics.

It's more likely that what he's insinuating is that by utilizing the draft (picks) he can rebuild by using his picks to move up in the draft, dump an unwanted contract bundled with a draft pick or make a favorable trade by bundling existing players with picks as well.

"Draft picks are very important assets and they are always tradable, no matter how well they play."

Building through the draft means not acquiring players like Evan Turner and Spencer Hawes.

[/QUOTE]

Neither Turner nor Hawes project as critical peices of a championship team unless they are complementary bench players, not starters.  Hawes has more value than Turner because Turner makes some of the most  and most frequent boneheaded plays I've seen in a long time.  Hawes simply makes fewer errors, but would he be the key to championship success? I don't believe so.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    How you know that in 3-4 years Rondo will be in decline>Steve Nash is 40,Derek Fisher is 41 and both still play good basketball.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]

Pud rudeness was not part of the character Barney.  

[/QUOTE]

I'm not being rude.

I'm 68 and gave up believing in short cuts and quick fixes about 40 years ago.

That's part of living and learning something along the way..... maturing.

Pud

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    If having spent 72 years on God's green earth your best s hot is a quick fix... my guess is that your time has come and gone.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Oh Pud, that's cold!  I too am a septagenarian, and when you reach this plateau, you too will be looking for quick fixes, and not just with the Celtics roster.  Beware my friend, aging denies no man.

When people ask me what I’d most appreciate getting for my next birthday. I tell them, a paternity suit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Oh Pud, that's cold!  I too am a septagenarian, and when you reach this plateau, you too will be looking for quick fixes, and not just with the Celtics roster.  Beware my friend, aging denies no man.

When people ask me what I’d most appreciate getting for my next birthday. I tell them, a paternity suit.

[/QUOTE]

Cold but true. I'm 68.

Pud

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I'm not saying this going to happen but I read where Det was thinking that Josh Smith could be had. The writer mentioned G Wallace and Bogans could be one option. The rationale of the was that Smith plays much better at the 4 than the 3 and Wallace could be stretched out financially and Bogans. Josh Smith would be a 14 mil hit but he is more valuable than Wallace on the court. The article read more like an opinion than relying on sources but I found it an intriguing idea.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jeesh ... don't you guys think you'll be watching the C's till you're 90???

I do ..... After all, I'm intent on outlasting Fungus ... LOL!!!

[/QUOTE]

I wish you would cease your sparing with this little dipstick.

He is nothing at all beyond a little smart-mouth, self-absorbed brat.

Pud

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondorondo. Show hondorondo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

I guess, in terms of class and respect Pud, your time has never come. Great style to indult tose with wisdom.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to hondorondo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

I guess, in terms of class and respect Pud, your time has never come. Great style to indult tose with wisdom.

[/QUOTE]
    Learn to spell and then give it another  try.

Pud

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to hondorondo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Learn to spell and then give it another  try.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

I'm free to give him some pointers

Sections
Shortcuts