Rondo: The Great Disappearing Act

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

Rondo: The Great Disappearing Act

RR does not finish games---plain and simple. Bunch of goose eggs against da Bulls in the 4th just doesn't cut it. He puts up great numbers through three quarters, then folds like a house of cards in the final and decisive period. That's what separates the truly great PG (like Rose) from the rest. He will never be one of the "greats" until he starts delivering when it counts.

As for the reasons for his poor finishes, look no further than a lack of a consistent outside shot and poor foul shooting. Defensive intensity tends to pick up in the 4th and teams will try and clog the lanes to prevent any gimmes. You need to make them pay for it. Rondo can't and therefore becomes a major liability when the game is on the line.

No wonder Danny has been looking to unload this guy for the past couple of seasons. Unfortunately, the other 29 teams have also figured out RR's limitations and are not willing to part with anything of value. Just the thought of having to watch RR abuse the basket with his bricks for the next four years (until he walks as a free agent) is depressing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Re: Rondo: The Great Disappearing Act

You can always improve your game by working on your weakspots in the offseason.  When Rondo starts doing that, he will become the PG we've all been waiting for.  This season, not so much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprajt. Show sprajt's posts

In Response to Rondo: The Great Disappearing Act:
    [QUOTE]RR does not finish games---plain and simple. Bunch of goose eggs against da Bulls in the 4th just doesn't cut it. He puts up great numbers through three quarters, then folds like a house of cards in the final and decisive period. That's what separates the truly great PG (like Rose) from the rest. He will never be one of the "greats" until he starts delivering when it counts. As for the reasons for his poor finishes, look no further than a lack of a consistent outside shot and poor foul shooting. Defensive intensity tends to pick up in the 4th and teams will try and clog the lanes to prevent any gimmes. You need to make them pay for it. Rondo can't and therefore becomes a major liability when the game is on the line. No wonder Danny has been looking to unload this guy for the past couple of seasons. Unfortunately, the other 29 teams have also figured out RR's limitations and are not willing to part with anything of value. Just the thought of having to watch RR abuse the basket with his bricks for the next four years (until he walks as a free agent) is depressing.
    Posted by henryfinkel[/QUOTE]

Did you even watch this game? It's all Rivers fault. Rondo runs exactly what Doc wants which is going for 45 years old Pierce to ISO against Deng.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo: The Great Disappearing Act:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Rondo: The Great Disappearing Act : I have to disagree.........I have been a Rondo basher as far as his free throws and shooting but lets face it........if it weren't for Rondo we may not have a win this year.........he is the only one moving for 3 quarters with little rest.......he gets no support from the rest of the starters with perhaps the exception of RA........you can't compare him to Rose because Rose gets a lot of team support......Rondo is by far the best player we put out on the floor despite his deficiencies........we just need to get players that can run with him and support his game.......one man fast breaks doesn't cut it in this league......no wonder why he is plum tuckered out by the fourth.....
    Posted by damfuno[/QUOTE]

Agree. rondo has been playing well. The rest of the team has been atrocious, except for Allen on the offensive end.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

All valid points. He is the best on the floor for the C's, but he does pull a Lebron James in the 4th. He stops doing any of the things he did well in the first 3 quarters. But I lay no blame with him. He plays with passion and heart for at least 3 which is more than I can say for others.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Saying Rondo disappears in the 4th is ludicrous. He runs the sets he is suppossed to. You Rondo haters are always going to have something negative say about the guy. You Rondo haters are about as factual and objective about Rondo as Faux news is about Obama and like Faux you sound just as biased and inane.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" t's true that Rondo is the Celts best player. It's also true that he's not productive in the 4th qtr. of games. "

Yep, both are true. Rondo struggles in the half court game and there are similarities there. 

Also, Rondo did not play his best game against Chicago, but he did play his heart out. 

Henryfinkel you  picked a bad time to bash Rondo, he's playing better than any other Celtic is is NOT the reason they are losing games. 

Ainge is also not looking to unload Rondo, he's looking to get good value in return from the point guard spot and that's not an easy thing to do. If he wanted to unload Rondo he could have done so a long time ago. You're way off base. Where is your criticism of the rest of our aging lineup that is out of shape and can't keep up with Rondo on break?

"You can always improve your game by working on your weakspots in the offseason. "

How do you know about his offseason? The reports I've read indicate Rondo has been working hard on his game in the offseason. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Rondo is not the problem.  You want him to be Rose and he is not. The problem right now is the rest of the team. He has no help.  He has older player who on the fourth quarter are finding they can be muscled and outrun.  It is Pierce, Garnett and Ray along with a team with too little talent.

We all know Rondo is not the problem as we go into game 12 of this season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Rondo is having an all star year so far; no othe Celtic is; he has improved his talent (shooting outisde and at the stripe), maturity/stability, and no one ever could quesiton his heart. His defense is better, too.
    Rose is a true superstar and reigning MVP of the league; a wonderful talent and heart all rolled up into one; easy player to admire. He's probably the best player in the league, not just the best point guard. He reminds me more of Larry Bird than any player I've seen in a long time.
    I remember when I used to pick Rose over Rondo as the better player and Sam's gang (still read thier stuff, nothing but admiration for that community) generally picked Rondo as did others. I think that's been settled. But Rondo is great, too, and we are lucky to have him and he is still improving. Lay off!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Rondo is definitely not the problem. The problem is Rondo is the best player on our team, he is a very good player, but he is not a great player. He can't carry a team in the 4th quarter of games, because he's just not able to score the ball,Ray, KG, and Pierce, can no longer give this team 20 to 25 points a night, and until we get someone who can, we won't win very many games!!  This team needs a big time scorer and a big time rebounder, and i don't see it happening this year!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Rondo: The Great Disappearing Act:
    [QUOTE]RR does not finish games---plain and simple. Bunch of goose eggs against da Bulls in the 4th just doesn't cut it. He puts up great numbers through three quarters, then folds like a house of cards in the final and decisive period. That's what separates the truly great PG (like Rose) from the rest. He will never be one of the "greats" until he starts delivering when it counts. As for the reasons for his poor finishes, look no further than a lack of a consistent outside shot and poor foul shooting. Defensive intensity tends to pick up in the 4th and teams will try and clog the lanes to prevent any gimmes. You need to make them pay for it. Rondo can't and therefore becomes a major liability when the game is on the line. No wonder Danny has been looking to unload this guy for the past couple of seasons. Unfortunately, the other 29 teams have also figured out RR's limitations and are not willing to part with anything of value. Just the thought of having to watch RR abuse the basket with his bricks for the next four years (until he walks as a free agent) is depressing.
    Posted by henryfinkel[/QUOTE]

Rondo has rarely if ever made them pay.

He used to have teammates who could cover for him but they've gotten too old. So now we have Rondo holding his johnson at crunch time.... (ahemm) exposed.

This is not news.

This is simply Rondo bees Rondo.

Pud

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

He was the second best player in the building last night and he is being held to too high a standard by some. Very, very good  but not great as KY said. Team needs some compliments to him, period.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]He was the second best player in the building last night and he is being held to too high a standard by some. Very, very good  but not great as KY said. Team needs some compliments to him, period.
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]

Too high a standard? Well maybe. Thru 10 games this season, Rondo averages less than 2 points per 4th quarter and right  around 2 dimes per 4th quarter.

And I suspect that over his entire career, those PointsPer4thQtr are just about right at around 2.

Maybe the dimes have increased a bit though.

In 4th quarters, watching Rondo struggle to be relevant is like watching a boy struggle to play a man's game.

Too high a standard? Well perhaps....

On 2nd thought, maybe yours are too low.

Pud

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Pud,
    I have come to see Rondo and his fourth quarter liabilities.  The part that really steamrolled me is that I didn't see the Pierce and KG as the liabilities they have become this season.   I mean who could see them playing this poorly. 

What do we do about it the ship is sinking? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

ahhhh another post. Lets look back. Everyone started out saying "Rondo cant be our point guard, we cant win with him, we need someone better." That problem was proved wrong. THEN it became, "well, hes only good at defense, hes not a good leader or passer." that was proven wrong. THEN it was "well, he still cant hit a jumpshot to keep the defense honest, they sag off of him and he wont shoot it and cant hit the shot." THAT has changed this season..and it has gotten to the point where Rondo bashers like pud resort to "He isnt producing in the 4th qtr of games." 

hey, im happy that they are running out of things to complain about, but the fact that after a game like last nite when Rondo was the only guy on the court basically..why make this post?  only possibility is you understand Rondo is improving and is an elite pg and you gotta find something else to complain about. i like!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Rondo: The Great Disappearing Act : I have to disagree.........I have been a Rondo basher as far as his free throws and shooting but lets face it........if it weren't for Rondo we may not have a win this year.........he is the only one moving for 3 quarters with little rest.......he gets no support from the rest of the starters with perhaps the exception of RA........you can't compare him to Rose because Rose gets a lot of team support......Rondo is by far the best player we put out on the floor despite his deficiencies........we just need to get players that can run with him and support his game.......one man fast breaks doesn't cut it in this league......no wonder why he is plum tuckered out by the fourth.....
    Posted by damfuno[/QUOTE]

Agree with you.  He has been the most dependable Celtics player this year.  Ray has also contributed, but the rest of the starters haven't been very good so far. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]Pud, I have come to see Rondo and his fourth quarter liabilities.  The part that really steamrolled me is that I didn't see the Pierce and KG as the liabilities they have become this season.   I mean who could see them playing this poorly.  What do we do about it the ship is sinking? 
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

I am clueless about CPP but I thought that I saw KG kick it up a notch during the 3rd quarter run last night... as the energy level rose and the crowd got into it. KG has never been good about addressing/coping with injury issues (can't sit on the bench with his teammates when injured) and I could easily see him falter badly when father time catches up with him.

I'm astounded that CPP would come into camp so out of shape as he seems to be. Hopefully it is only conditioning as opposed to injury and age catching up with him.

Could be too much home cookin' for both KG and CPP whose routine had to be broken badly by the lockout.

Ray (contract year) seemed much better prepared both physically and mentally and playing like it.

SWAG: Maybe they are reacting to being dissed by CP3 whom I'm sure they would have welcomed with open arms and loved to have  played with. (It still bothers me that he would not consider coming to Beantown unless forced to.)

That would have gotten me super excited about the season. Maybe they felt the same way... but looking around the NBA, the balance of power has certainly shifted away from the guys in green. 

Pud

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Posted by damfuno[/QUOTE]Bingo!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Rondo: The Great Disappearing Act : Rondo has rarely if ever made them pay. He used to have teammates who could cover for him but they've gotten too old. So now we have Rondo holding his johnson at crunch time.... (ahemm) exposed. This is not news. This is simply Rondo bees Rondo. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]
    Hey Dud, i mean Pud...(ahemm) exposed

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

question...do you guys that have a problem w/ the current point guards production think that if Russell Westbrook was in green rite now we would be winning games? or CP3?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

CP3 would have been a one man gang to get his pts, would be totally frustrated, cry fowl, and demand a trade, after the first week with this team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]CP3 would have been a one man gang to get his pts, would be totally frustrated, cry fowl, and demand a trade, after the first week with this team.
    Posted by Ortiz123[/QUOTE]

just trying to figure out what any other pg would do that ROndo doesnt do..besides more 3 pointers and more consistent foul shooting. is that all you need for us to win games tho?

Sections
Shortcuts