Rondo to get a 2nd Opinion!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Rondo to get a 2nd Opinion!

Probably nothing, but interesting none the less! MRI's are usually pretty conclusive! SO why a 2nd opinion?

Boston Celtics guard Rajon Rondo will get a second opinion within days on his torn right ACL injury. And that second opinion may come from arguably the best in the business - famed orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews. "He (Dr. Andrews) is one that we're definitely considering," Rondo's agent Bill Duffy, told CSNNE.com. "If he's No. 1, there's a couple 1As and 1Bs we're looking at as well." CSNNE.com

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Rondo to get a 2nd Opinion!

I am sure it is a torn ACL but Rondo according to many did not have the great pain accompanied with a tear like this.  Wishful thinking on my part.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

On which knee ????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Some knee injuries are more painful than others. As someone who has had 4 knee ops not all injuries hurt the same pain wise. The damage done by an injury does not always parelell the pain you feel. You should always get a second opinion before you let someone cut you open and remove or repair something not just pro athaletes. If I was getting payed his money I would get a 3rd opinion and consider all options and procedures.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:

Some knee injuries are more painful than others. As someone who has had 4 knee ops not all injuries hurt the same pain wise. The damage done by an injury does not always parelell the pain you feel. You should always get a second opinion before you let someone cut you open and remove or repair something not just pro athaletes. If I was getting payed his money I would get a 3rd opinion and consider all options and procedures.

I agree! In these type of cases however, 2nd opinions can be obtained by simply having the initial MRI reviewed by another Dr. Then if warrented, take another MRI and follow-up physicla exam. 

Another thing that strikes me as odd, is RR's agent appears to be at the forefront of this effort, to obtain a 2nd opinion.

Again, probably nothing, but interesting none the less.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

ACL tear in itself is not painful.  There is no nerve tissue on the ACL.  Usually the trama that causes the ACL tear also causes other tissues around the knee to be damaged which is more likely the source of pain.  2nd opinion is fine but all he can do is have another MRI or have another doctor looks at previous MRI.  The ACL is either there or not there, if it is not there, he won't be able to cut and change direction without the knee slipping and a lot of pain.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

We are better off with him out. PERIOD. He is a street ball player who is better suited for the Globetrotters. His style and personality are not conduscive for leading a team in the NBA. Hopefully, when he does come back, his athleticism is tempered a bit and he loses the circus move ability to make him more fundamentally sound. I love his skill level, but hate his residual affects on TEAM chemistry. He eats waaaaaaaay too much clock with the ball in his hands. His assists are pretty much a fabricated stat when you consider that they now consist of a pass to a 3-pounter! or any other long range jump shot. Sharp, crisp, passes......I long for fundamentals!!! Watch and see how we roll without "Marcus Haines". We aren't playing the Washington Nationals ya know!!! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

Reggie Lewis got a second opinion, that did not help either.

OW!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

Reggie Lewis got a second opinion, that did not help either.

Some may argue, it's the second opinion that killed him.  I believe the first opinion said that he had a problem, and questioned whether he should retire.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

ACL tear in itself is not painful.  There is no nerve tissue on the ACL.  Usually the trama that causes the ACL tear also causes other tissues around the knee to be damaged which is more likely the source of pain.  2nd opinion is fine but all he can do is have another MRI or have another doctor looks at previous MRI.  The ACL is either there or not there, if it is not there, he won't be able to cut and change direction without the knee slipping and a lot of pain.

All true, except that there are other tests like palpation, range of motion, and stability/instability manipulations that can add to the diagnosis.  A 'tear" is by degree and site when considering the plan of action.  "Scrubber" must have medical knowledge (hence his name), so I'm in agreement re: a second opinion, but I think there is more involved than simply looking at an MRI.  Not to mention that not all MRI equipment is equal to all other MRI equipment.  Knee injuries do not require severe trauma to be exposed.  The knee is a poorly designed and somewhat fragile joint that can be damaged by relatively benign activity.  Sometimes the ACL injury is the result of a weak MCL or LCL, and that weakness can be congenital rather than arising from a "big" event.  We should all wait for more information and hope for the best.  One thing is certain, without intact crutiate and/or collateral ligaments, knee stability is woefully undersupported.  Playing on such a knee would have disaterous outcomes, and no amount of external bracing could replace the natural structure with a full range of motion and strength.  At least not usually.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to painter's comment:

In response to scubber's comment:

All true, except that there are other tests like palpation, range of motion, and stability/instability manipulations that can addto the diagnosis.  A 'tear" is by degree and site when considering the plan of action.  "Scrubber" must have medical knowledge (hence his name), so I'm in agreement re: a second opinion, but I think there is more involved than simply looking at an MRI.  Not to mention that not all MRI equipment is equal to all other MRI equipment.  Knee injuries do not require severe trauma to be exposed.  The knee is a poorly designed and somewhat fragile joint that can be damaged by relatively benign activity.  Sometimes the ACL injury is the result of a weak MCL or LCL, and that weakness can be congenital rather than arising from a "big" event.  We should all wait for more information and hope for the best.  One thing is certain, without intact crutiate and/or collateral ligaments, knee stability is woefully undersupported.  Playing on such a knee would have disaterous outcomes, and no amount of external bracing could replace the natural structure with a full range of motion and strength.  At least not usually.

Those manual tests are not very reliable, MRI is the most reliable diagnostic, and even that is not very definitive.  As you pan through the 3d slices of the MRI, you see a white or lighter colored line indicating an existence of the ACL or you don't.  I am not medical related, just someone who had many of this surgery.  All I am saying is this is not like a desease where there might be different approach to combat the problem.  You either have the ACL intact or you don't.  If not, there is no way around it except to have the surgery in order to keep playing at this high level.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

Probably nothing, but interesting none the less! MRI's are usually pretty conclusive! SO why a 2nd opinion?

Boston Celtics guard Rajon Rondo will get a second opinion within days on his torn right ACL injury. And that second opinion may come from arguably the best in the business - famed orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews. "He (Dr. Andrews) is one that we're definitely considering," Rondo's agent Bill Duffy, told CSNNE.com. "If he's No. 1, there's a couple 1As and 1Bs we're looking at as well." CSNNE.com

I have a 3rd opinion for ya:

We are better off with him out. PERIOD. He is a street ball player who is better suited for the Globetrotters. His style and personality are not conduscive for "leading" a team in the NBA. Hopefully, when he does come back, his athleticism is tempered a bit and he loses the circus move mentality/ability to make him more fundamentally sound. I love his skill level, but hate his residual affects on TEAM chemistry. He eats waaaaaaaay too much clock with the ball in his hands. His assists are pretty much a fabricated stat when you consider that they now consist of a pass to a 3-pounter! or any other long range jump shot. Sharp, crisp, passes......I long for fundamentals!!! Watch and see how we roll without "Marcus Haines". We aren't playing the Washington Nationals ya know!!! 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

In response to BCSP's comment:

I have a 3rd opinion for ya:

We are better off with him out. PERIOD. He is a street ball player who is better suited for the Globetrotters. His style and personality are not conduscive for "leading" a team in the NBA. Hopefully, when he does come back, his athleticism is tempered a bit and he loses the circus move mentality/ability to make him more fundamentally sound. I love his skill level, but hate his residual affects on TEAM chemistry. He eats waaaaaaaay too much clock with the ball in his hands. His assists are pretty much a fabricated stat when you consider that they now consist of a pass to a 3-pounter! or any other long range jump shot. Sharp, crisp, passes......I long for fundamentals!!! Watch and see how we roll without "Marcus Haines". We aren't playing the Washington Nationals ya know!!! 

You would have been killing Cousy if you were around back then.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

We are better off with him out. PERIOD. He is a street ball player who is better suited for the Globetrotters. His style and personality are not conduscive for leading a team in the NBA. Hopefully, when he does come back, his athleticism is tempered a bit and he loses the circus move ability to make him more fundamentally sound. I love his skill level, but hate his residual affects on TEAM chemistry. He eats waaaaaaaay too much clock with the ball in his hands. His assists are pretty much a fabricated stat when you consider that they now consist of a pass to a 3-pounter! or any other long range jump shot. Sharp, crisp, passes......I long for fundamentals!!! Watch and see how we roll without "Marcus Haines". We aren't playing the Washington Nationals ya know!!! 

Sorry but you! are an idiot. and I don't ever attack a fellow fan..Guess you are not

18. This post has been removed.