Rondo to Knicks still breathing heavy!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Re: Rondo to Knicks still breathing heavy!!!

In response to RallyC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:

[QUOTE]

The words " I'm not in favor of trading for Melo" are actually in the post and who has the deficient level of understanding?

[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure he was saying it in an "I'd rather burn to death than freeze to death"

You clearly stated, "I'd rather trade for Melo than trade Rondo to NY." Regardless of what else you wrote, THAT statement in itself proves your lack of understanding. Think before you write and you won't contradict your own intent.

[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TheBigTicket05's comment:

[QUOTE]

rondo, gw and bass for amare, hardaway, udrih and multiple 1st rd picks from the knicks

[/QUOTE]

Not a great trade, but it's good enough.

So I agree with you on that one.

[/QUOTE]

+ 1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

How many years does Amare have left?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Knicks have nothng. This trade will not happen. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to jtkl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Knicks have nothng. This trade will not happen. 

[/QUOTE]

+1 - the post of reason! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

what a load of BS

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

they would need a 1st round pick this year to even consider a trade...knicks trade not happening..they would have to get another team involved.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

RONDO WILL NEVER BE A KNICK.....PACK ANOTHER BOWL LOSER !

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the thing is we could have their 2015 1st rd pick. embiid already stated that he wants to stay for another year in college. we could ask for more 1st rd picks from knicks on this deal

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the thing is we could have their 2015 1st rd pick. embiid already stated that he wants to stay for another year in college. we could ask for more 1st rd picks from knicks on this deal

[/QUOTE]

Knicks can't trade a 1st rd pick until 2018

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

is there any link?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, we definitely couldn't get their 2015 pick because they traded their 2014 pick to Toronto.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

If you're looking for Knicks draft picks I don't see how we would improve much unless Rondo went down with an injury after the trade.  Here's what they dealt away previously. So can they now trade their 2015 and 2017 picks? 

2014 first round draft pick to Denver
    New York's 2014 1st round pick to Denver [Denver-Minnesota-New York, 2/22/2011]; Denver may convey this pick to Orlando (see Denver Debits)

2014 second round draft pick to Houston
    New York's 2014 2nd round pick to Houston [Houston-New York, 7/11/2012]

2015 second round draft pick to Houston
    New York's 2015 2nd round pick to Houston [Houston-New York, 7/11/2012]

2016 first round draft pick to Denver
    Denver has the right to swap its 2016 1st round pick for New York's 2016 1st round pick [Denver-Minnesota-New York, 2/22/2011]; New York will convey the less favorable of these two picks to Toronto (see New York Debits)

2016 first round draft pick to Toronto
    New York will convey the less favorable of its 2016 1st round pick and Denver's 2016 1st round pick to Toronto (via Denver's right to swap for New York) [Denver-Minnesota-New York, 2/22/2011 and then New York-Toronto, 7/10/2013]

2016 second round draft pick to Sacramento
    New York's 2016 2nd round pick to Sacramento (via Portland) protected for selections 31-37 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then New York's obligation to Sacramento will be extinguished) [New York-Portland, 7/15/2012 and then New Orleans-Portland-Sacramento, 7/10/2013]

2017 second round draft pick to Toronto
    New York's 2017 2nd round pick to Toronto [New York-Toronto, 7/10/2013]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from louchin. Show louchin's posts

In response to CeltsFanInNH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you're looking for Knicks draft picks I don't see how we would improve much unless Rondo went down with an injury after the trade.  Here's what they dealt away previously. So can they now trade their 2015 and 2017 picks? 

2014 first round draft pick to Denver
    New York's 2014 1st round pick to Denver [Denver-Minnesota-New York, 2/22/2011]; Denver may convey this pick to Orlando (see Denver Debits)

2014 second round draft pick to Houston
    New York's 2014 2nd round pick to Houston [Houston-New York, 7/11/2012]

2015 second round draft pick to Houston
    New York's 2015 2nd round pick to Houston [Houston-New York, 7/11/2012]

2016 first round draft pick to Denver
    Denver has the right to swap its 2016 1st round pick for New York's 2016 1st round pick [Denver-Minnesota-New York, 2/22/2011]; New York will convey the less favorable of these two picks to Toronto (see New York Debits)

2016 first round draft pick to Toronto
    New York will convey the less favorable of its 2016 1st round pick and Denver's 2016 1st round pick to Toronto (via Denver's right to swap for New York) [Denver-Minnesota-New York, 2/22/2011 and then New York-Toronto, 7/10/2013]

2016 second round draft pick to Sacramento
    New York's 2016 2nd round pick to Sacramento (via Portland) protected for selections 31-37 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then New York's obligation to Sacramento will be extinguished) [New York-Portland, 7/15/2012 and then New Orleans-Portland-Sacramento, 7/10/2013]

2017 second round draft pick to Toronto
    New York's 2017 2nd round pick to Toronto [New York-Toronto, 7/10/2013]

[/QUOTE]

Rules For Trading Future Draft Picks December 17 2013 at 11:45am CST By Luke Adams

With trade season upon us and NBA teams coveting draft picks as strongly as ever, we should expect to see at least one or two first-rounders change hands in the coming weeks and months. As such, it’s worth revisiting the rules for trading future picks, as outlined in the league’s Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The Hoops Rumors glossary includes an entry on the Ted Stepien Rule, a condition that prohibits teams from trading back-to-back future first-round picks. Our write-up also includes a few other rules related to draft-pick trades. Still, while that glossary entry is definitely worth reading if you want to understand the basics of draft-pick trades, it may help more to take a look at a few specific cases with up-to-date examples to understand how those rules work in practice.

The Stepien rule, named after former Cavs owner Ted Stepien, was established so that franchises couldn’t trade away all their future first-round picks. Even teams like the Knicks, Nets, and Lakers, who are more willing than most clubs to part with draft picks, can only trade first-rounders for every other season. For instance, Brooklyn has traded away its 2014, 2016, and 2018 first-rounders — since the team isn’t allowed to give up back-to-back future first-round picks, that means the 2015 and 2017 picks can’t be offered up in deals, but the 2020 pick can.

Of course, in spite of the Stepien rule, a team could still end up without a first-round pick on an annual basis, since the rule only applies to future first-rounders. So a team like Toronto, which traded away its 2013 first-round pick, is now free to move its 2014 first-rounder, if it so chooses. In other words, a team can give up back-to-back first-round picks if the first of those two drafts has already passed.

Protected picks complicate the Stepien rule further. If there’s a possibility that the team will be without its first-round pick in a given year, the rule still applies, which means that clubs often limit their trade flexibility by placing several seasons of protections on traded picks. The Trail Blazers are a perfect example. Portland’s 2014 first-round pick will be sent to Charlotte if it’s not in the top 12, which seems like an awfully safe bet at this point, given the Blazers’ red-hot start. Still, because there’s a remote chance the pick may not change hands in 2014, the team can’t offer up its 2016 first-rounder in a trade. The Portland-to-Charlotte pick is top-12 protected in both 2014 and 2015, and unprotected in 2016. Since the pick will definitely change hands by 2016, the earliest first-rounder the Blazers are allowed to move is their 2018 pick.

Another quirk of draft-pick trading rules: Teams are allowed to trade away consecutive first-rounders of their own as long as they still adhere to the Stepien rule by acquiring other teams’ picks. For example, the Celtics are currently in line to receive 2014 and 2016 first-rounders from the Nets, along with a 2015 first-rounder from the Clippers. So if Danny Ainge wanted to, he could send out Boston’s own 2014, 2015, and 2016 first-round picks without any issue — he could even flip the Clippers’ 2015 pick on top of that, since it would still leave the team with the picks from the Nets in ’14 and ’16.

Most restrictions related to the Stepien rule apply only to first-round picks — teams can send out consecutive second-rounders with no issue. But there are some rules that apply to both first- and second-round picks. As has been discussed recently in the wake of trade rumors involving the Nets and Knicks, teams are also only permitted to trade draft picks for up to the next seven years. For the 2013/14 season, that means 2020 picks are the last ones eligible to be moved. In other words, while the Nets are allowed to trade their ’20 first-rounder, they can’t part with their ’21 pick until next July.

There are a few other rules related to trading draft picks, but we’ve covered most of the ones that will come into play as teams discuss deals over the next two months. As rumors trickle in, it’s worth keeping in mind that teams like the Nets, Knicks, Blazers, and others don’t have the flexibility to trade all the draft picks in their possession.

So the way I understand this rule is,,, the Knicks can trade away their 2015 1sr rd pick but not until next year...they are not allowed to trade it this year bc they already moved the 2014 1st rd pick and the same goes for thier 2017 1st rd pick bc they've already traded their 2016 pick...So "Fiercy" is correct that a team can trade away all their 1st rd picks, but there are certain restrictions to how and when they can be moved...the Knicks cannot offer up their 2015 or 2017 1st rd picks in any trades, currently, but they can move them on that year of the picks...The Knicks can only offer up a 2018 and/or 2020 picks currently on any trades...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Trade Olynyk even if he hasn't completed one full season with the Celts?

Some don't learn from past mistakes.

I agree with you that on the possibility of many of our team being traded, I hope Oly stays. We waited patiently for Fab Melo to develop and he didn't but I would like to see Oly, Sully and have a lucky ping pong ball draft Embiid and maybe we could get the best back court since the Bird, Parrish & McHale days. And yup, I 'd like to be able to keep Rondo too who will be able to drive to the basket and pass to one of these towers and ,hopefully, some Forwards we've drafted better than Wallace, Bass and Green!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

And yup, I 'd like to be able to keep Rondo too 

good grief, sfbf. how many times do you suppose you've waffled back and forth over the years regarding rondo? dammit man, you're a marine. take your stand and stick with it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Trade Olynyk even if he hasn't completed one full season with the Celts?

Some don't learn from past mistakes.

I agree with you that on the possibility of many of our team being traded, I hope Oly stays. We waited patiently for Fab Melo to develop and he didn't but I would like to see Oly, Sully and have a lucky ping pong ball draft Embiid and maybe we could get the best back court since the Bird, Parrish & McHale days. And yup, I 'd like to be able to keep Rondo too who will be able to drive to the basket and pass to one of these towers and ,hopefully, some Forwards we've drafted better than Wallace, Bass and Green!!!

That would actually be the "front" court as your guard positions usually compose the "back" court. I actually could see a very bright future with Embiid, Oly, and Sully, even with Rondo still at the PG. BUT we would also need to add an epic 2-guard shooter to keep the opposition honest from not clogging the lane. Ultimately, Rondo's intangibles are lacking and I just don't believe that DA truly believes that relying on such a volatile person to be the long term foundation to a team With so much youth is a good idea. TOO RISKY. Gonner by Draft Day if not sooner. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:

And yup, I 'd like to be able to keep Rondo too 

good grief, sfbf. how many times do you suppose you've waffled back and forth over the years regarding rondo? dammit man, you're a marine. take your stand and stick with it.

After we lost to the Lakers in 2010 (yup I know that the egregious difference in foul shots 41 to 18 and LA got 21 alone in the critical 4th qtr when we had a 13 pt lead in the 3rd was a major contributor to the loss), we were not able to attain # 18 thereafter only with PP and Garnett as we lost Perkins. We were so many games needing to shoot 50% as we were outrebounded. There were actually rumors of a Pau Gasol straight up and Kobe likes Rondo but I don't think LA wanted it.

Rondo is not, but maybe could be but I doubt it, a prolific outside scorer like Paul, West, Rose(when healthy), Nash(when younger) etc. who can give you 20-25 pts per game. Heck, teams might have done a "Hack a Rondo" his foul shooting is so poor.  Rondo needs a BIG MAN to pass to under the basket and we haven't had that---Garnett really was a great Forward deadly 5-15 feet out but never a banger under the basket. So, I was hoping maybe we'd get Cousins for Rondo or another competent big man but we didn't. So, now, with 2 Sully(almost a tower), Oly and hopefully Embiid, we'll get maybe 50% scoring in the post and mostly from Rondo driving to the basket as he can as well as any and/or passing off to one of the towers.

Rally C's comment above about needing another shooter is extremely sound so as to not clog the lanes.

Marines stand their ground & don't retreat....if they fall back, they attack in another direction !!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

is there any link?

[/QUOTE]

This link, that I provided earlier in this thread, is where I got the information that NY cannot trade a 1st rd pick until 2018.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

Marines stand their ground & don't retreat....if they fall back, they attack in another direction !!!

good answer, sf.

don't fret yourself over rondo not being a prolific scorer. that's not how he's going to be effective. he has several more years to get better at what he's already best at - facilitating his teammates. danny will provide rondo with the pieces the celtics need to contend. this will happen much sooner than later. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's not true.

You should do more research.

A team can trade their 1st round pick every year as long as they don't trade 2 1st round picks successively.

Just look at the Lakers.

The Lakers didn't have a 1st round pick from 2010 to 2013.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry. You are wrong, and I did the research.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

and 'Fiercy' if you were comparing my proposed Olynyk and picks for Hayward trade idea to Sully for Varejao as foolish b/c Olynyk is in his rookie year you are wrong there as well. The two ideas are not comparable.

One was trading a promising but damaged goods player needing surgery, but still viewed as a potential double double very good starter down the road if the surgery was successful, for a current double double machine in his prime who could have been the missing link on a team hoping to win one more championship with KG and Pierce.

The other trade proposal is trading a 23 (in April) player averaging 6.5/4.5 who should be a 5th best starter or solid 6th man giving 14/7 in his prime (outside shot as an 18/9 4th best player) for a 24 (in March) SG-SF giving 16-5-5, a favorite player of our current coach/his old coach, with a ceiling as a teams 2nd or 3rd best player getting 20 a game and a floor as a 4th best player giving 18ppg 6rpg and 5apg.

Basically Hayward is 13 months older than Olynyk and his floor is Kelly's ceiling. Hope that clarifies things for you.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts