Rondo Trade Idea

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jayhawk. Show Jayhawk's posts

Rondo Trade Idea

I'm not typically a fan of fake trades... they never actually happen and they rarely make sense. For whatever reason the Rondo situation has captured my imagination though and I've come up with the following idea. Thoughts?

Boston to Charlotte 
    Rajon Rondo 
    Clippers protected #1

Charlotte to Boston 
    Boris Diaw 
    Kemba Walker 
    #1 pick (either this year or next) 

Summary: 
    Charlotte gets one of the top PGs in the league to build around and a likely late 1st rounder (which could turn into a high pick if the Clippers revert to being the Clippers in a few years). Celts take back an expiring contract (freeing up enough space to chase 2 max guys next season) and a guard that could turn into a solid player in addition to a likely high draft pick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Rondo Trade Idea

They are going to cut Diaw shortly........not worth Rondo!  I like the thinking, though!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

LOL. Horrific trade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jayhawk. Show Jayhawk's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo Trade Idea:
    LOL. Horrific trade.
    Posted by tompenny

I'm curious what you dislike about it.

Granted, a lot of assumptions would need to be made after the fact but there would be a real possibility of the following lineup in 2013:

PG: Deron Williams
    SG: Ray Allen
    SF: Paul Pierce
    PF: Kevin Garnett
    C: Dwight Howard

Key Bench Players:
    G Kemba Walker
    F Brandon Bass
    #1 pick from Charlotte (possibly #1 overall)

Assumptions:
    1. Allen and KG resign with team at vet minimum (or close to) deals for another championship run
    2. Dwight Howard and DWill are convinced to sign with Boston as key pieces are in place for a deep run now and in the future

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jayhawk. Show Jayhawk's posts

They are going to cut Diaw shortly........not worth Rondo!  I like the thinking, though!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

Yeah, Diaw would be a throw-in to make the salaries work and to allow for more money off the cap heading into the offseason. This would allow for max. offers to Howard and Deron Williams.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo Trade Idea : Yeah, Diaw would be a throw-in to make the salaries work and to allow for more money off the cap heading into the offseason. This would allow for max. offers to Howard and Deron Williams.
    Posted by Jayhawk

But..............why include him in a trade if they are going to cut him anyway.  CHA doesn't really have a lot of players we want, and I think MJ wants to draft fellow Tar Heel Harrison Barnes, so no way would they give up a #1 pick!

I like going after Beasley.....or a big like Jefferson!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jayhawk. Show Jayhawk's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo Trade Idea : But..............why include him in a trade if they are going to cut him anyway.  CHA doesn't really have a lot of players we want, and I think MJ wants to draft fellow Tar Heel Harrison Barnes, so no way would they give up a #1 pick! I like going after Beasley.....or a big like Jefferson!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

My main reasoning is that he is not a piece Charlotte cares about and has a bloated expiring contract that allows the deal to work for both sides. The key pieces in the deal are really Rondo and the Clips #1 for Walker and Charlotte's #1 either this year or next. I believe this deal likely favors the Celts a bit but as I was having a hard time coming up with a true winner thought it may be fairly balanced. Of course, I could have my homer glasses on and not even realize it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

Charlotte would never make that trade.

How can people say two weeks ago that they would trade Rondo for Jeremy Lin and now it's Rondo and a late 1st for Kemba Walker and maybe the #1 overall pick?

If Walker was on Boston and they had the worst record in the NBA, nobody here would make that trade for Rondo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo Trade Idea : I'm curious what you dislike about it. Granted, a lot of assumptions would need to be made after the fact but there would be a real possibility of the following lineup in 2013: PG: Deron Williams SG: Ray Allen SF: Paul Pierce PF: Kevin Garnett C: Dwight Howard Key Bench Players: G Kemba Walker F Brandon Bass #1 pick from Charlotte (possibly #1 overall) Assumptions: 1. Allen and KG resign with team at vet minimum (or close to) deals for another championship run 2. Dwight Howard and DWill are convinced to sign with Boston as key pieces are in place for a deep run now and in the future
    Posted by Jayhawk

You don't trade Rondo for essentially Kemba and their pick while giving them the Celtics Clippers pick in a dice roll that you land D12 and Deron. It's absolutely idiotic and not even remotely a realistic trade Ainge would do. Your also on a fantastic assumption that KG and Ray will take vet min and Pierce will restructure since he's pulling in 15 per. That's a whole lot of If's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jayhawk. Show Jayhawk's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo Trade Idea : You don't trade Rondo for essentially Kemba and their pick while giving them the Celtics Clippers pick in a dice roll that you land D12 and Deron. It's absolutely idiotic and not even remotely a realistic trade Ainge would do. Your also on a fantastic assumption that KG and Ray will take vet min and Pierce will restructure since he's pulling in 15 per. That's a whole lot of If's.
    Posted by tompenny

A few points:
    1. The Clipper's pick will more than likely be a late 1st rounder at this point unless a team sits on it until 2016 and the Clippers of present revert to being the Clippers of the past.

2. The trade, without assuming signings of Howard and/or Deron stands on it's own merit. Rondo and a ltae 1st for a good looking rookie guard, cap space and a high lottery pick seems pretty solid.

3. Allen and KG assumptions are certainly assumptions but not outlandish, particularly if the Cs can convince everyone involved of the other's plans. If, for example, KG and Allen know Howard and Williams are coming they are more likely to take pay cuts and vice-versa.

4. This trade/scenario does not require Pierce to take any sort of pay cut or restructure in order for Howard and Williams to make max. contracts.

Again, it seems silly to disagree over a theoretical trade but wanted to clarify.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo Trade Idea : A few points: 1. The Clipper's pick will more than likely be a late 1st rounder at this point unless a team sits on it until 2016 and the Clippers of present revert to being the Clippers of the past. 2. The trade, without assuming signings of Howard and/or Deron stands on it's own merit. Rondo and a ltae 1st for a good looking rookie guard, cap space and a high lottery pick seems pretty solid. 3. Allen and KG assumptions are certainly assumptions but not outlandish, particularly if the Cs can convince everyone involved of the other's plans. If, for example, KG and Allen know Howard and Williams are coming they are more likely to take pay cuts and vice-versa. 4. This trade/scenario does not require Pierce to take any sort of pay cut or restructure in order for Howard and Williams to make max. contracts. Again, it seems silly to disagree over a theoretical trade but wanted to clarify.
    Posted by Jayhawk

Pierce couldn't restructure his contract even if he wanted to.
    You can only do so if you are in an option year and the contract was signed at least 3 years earlier.

Sections
Shortcuts