Rondo trade inevitable?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Rondo trade inevitable?

http://fansided.com/2014/08/14/boston-celtics-rumors-rajon-rondo-trade-inevitable/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Re: Rondo trade inevitable?

Can anything on sites like that be taken seriously?  The answer to "inevitability" is: maybe, maybe not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Are the contributors to these blogs old enough to remember the last major contract signed by Reggie Miller?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Rondo is too old for this team, if we do not show strength by the trade deadline, and if we have not picked up at least one more almost top player, or if one of our guys does not take a big step forward, THEN he should be gone.  But I thought Bradley should have been gone, so mabey, we give him the house and sit and wonder.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Inevitable in my estimation.  I don't see Ainge letting him get to unrestricted free agency status nor paying him next $100 million dollars contract.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

i think folks speculate as to what will happen based on what they want to happen. contributor Painter posted the following this AM. tickled me good as a rondo stays advocate, yet no one else could be bothered even commenting. go figure.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/08/boston_celtics_rumors_2014_doc.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/08/boston_celtics_rumors_2014_doc.html

bp

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Moreover, if Smart shows enough during the season, would Ainge pay the max to keep Rondo?  Sure, we all have a little bias, but is max money on Rondo the right thing at this juncture with Smart waiting on the wing?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

i think rondo can be had for less than max, along tony parker lines. max is going to strap danny in his efforts to put the best possible team around rondo. i believe rondo realizes this, appreciates it, and will compromise in the best celtics interest.

bp

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

If he compromises, he better do it soon and before next season ends.  Just saying he will test free agency is enough reason for Ainge to trade him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

In response to scubber's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Inevitable in my estimation.  I don't see Ainge letting him get to unrestricted free agency status nor paying him next $100 million dollars contract.

[/QUOTE]

I do not see any team paying him 100 mil

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

If he compromises, he better do it soon and before next season ends. Just saying he will test free agency is enough reason for Ainge to trade him.

which brings us back to where we started - trade inevitable as opposed to trade doubtful.

i am assuming that rondo's fully recovered and his remarkable tool bag is intact. i'm also expecting him to make ALL his teammates better - smart, green and zeller in particular - in the way premier players do. if not, he'll be gone as he should be.

come on, season, get here.   :-)

bp

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i think rondo can be had for less than max, along tony parker lines. max is going to strap danny in his efforts to put the best possible team around rondo. i believe rondo realizes this, appreciates it, and will compromise in the best celtics interest.

bp

[/QUOTE]

Why would he act in the Celtics best interest as opposed to his own? Is it because he has been floated by Ainge in trade talks since 2009, or because the Celtics showed Zero loyalty by trading PP & KG? He has been around long enough at this point to know that it's straight business in the NBA, and Danny wouldn't hesitate to ship his butt out if he found a halfway decent offer.

Rondo will be looking out for Rondo if/when he becomes a free agent, and whichever team offers him the best combination of $$$ and contention will get him. And that will be the correct decision on his part.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

In response to CelticGreenLP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

bp

[/QUOTE]

Why would he act in the Celtics best interest as opposed to his own? Is it because he has been floated by Ainge in trade talks since 2009, or because the Celtics showed Zero loyalty by trading PP & KG? He has been around long enough at this point to know that it's straight business in the NBA, and Danny wouldn't hesitate to ship his butt out if he found a halfway decent offer.

Rondo will be looking out for Rondo if/when he becomes a free agent, and whichever team offers him the best combination of $$$ and contention will get him. And that will be the correct decision on his part.

[/QUOTE]

+1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

he has stated he's a creature of habit who doesn't like change. i believe that gives boston a leg up on his future services. for these and other valid reasons, i say he stays. you guys don't agree. cool. we'll just have to wait and see. it won't be that much longer.

bp

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

bp

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Rondo also wants no part of having to compete for his starting PG position w/ Smart. He is ambivalent about staying and would prefer to go to a contender that could use his unique set of skills.

His days in Beantown are numbered and he is savvy enough to realize that.

Agreed..... DA will ship him out in a skinny minute with Smart in place.

Pud

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

bp

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Rondo also wants no part of having to compete for his starting PG position w/ Smart. He is ambivalent about staying and would prefer to go to a contender that could use his unique set of skills.

His days in Beantown are numbered and he is savvy enough to realize that.

Agreed..... DA will ship him out in a skinny minute with Smart in place.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

The handwriting is on the wall...the Smart choice is no accident...Rondo will go one way or the other...good luck to him...we need to commit to the rebuild and let the kids grow or go.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

Rondo also wants no part of having to compete for his starting PG position w/ Smart.

well now we'll just see about that, won't we there, puddinpuddin?

bp

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

I agree, two starting PGs make no sense in the long run so it is difficult to see that both Smart and Rondo will be here long term. And Smart is not a sharp shooting guard so playing both at 1 and 2 at the same time also makes no sense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree, two starting PGs make no sense in the long run so it is difficult to see that both Smart and Rondo will be here long term. And Smart is not a sharp shooting guard so playing both at 1 and 2 at the same time also makes no sense.

[/QUOTE]

Is Smart a point guard yet?  Who knows what Smart will become.  Ty Lawson or DWade?

Folks want the Celts to get better fast and each has his/her own wishlist/formula.  I understand that.  I just think that Rondo is likely staying with the Celts because that will turn out to be the best option for everybody.  Rondo will not sign an extension before he becomes a free agent because that is in his best interest.  And that is fair.  Also, I can't see a Kevin Love kind of scenario developing.  No team has that kind of assets, that kind of fit and that kind of demand from their superstar.  The Celts will likely conclude that it will be better to have him than to lose him for nothing.  They will have to pay to keep him just like they paid to keep AB.  Future Celtics success is more tied to their young players developing into stars and less to the small difference in how much Rondo gets paid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]

i think folks speculate as to what will happen based on what they want to happen. contributor Painter posted the following this AM. tickled me good as a rondo stays advocate, yet no one else could be bothered even commenting. go figure.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/08/boston_celtics_rumors_2014_doc.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/08/boston_celtics_rumors_2014_doc.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/08/boston_celtics_rumors_2014_doc.html

bp

[/QUOTE]

What does Doc know?  He is the king of spin.  Did you notice how he used "we" in attracting free agents to Boston?

Seriously though the article is a mixed bag.  At some level I also feel that Rondo will have a stellar season and the Celts will have a mediocre season.  But Doc's usage of "we" kind of soured the article a bit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

What does Doc know? He is the king of spin. Did you notice how he used "we" in attracting free agents to Boston?

Seriously though the article is a mixed bag. At some level I also feel that Rondo will have a stellar season and the Celts will have a mediocre season. But Doc's usage of "we" kind of soured the article a bit.

that's fair. i guess to what degree depends upon our predisposition.  

bp

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

In response to prakash's comment:

[QUOTE]

Is Smart a point guard yet?  Who knows what Smart will become.  Ty Lawson or DWade?

Folks want the Celts to get better fast and each has his/her own wishlist/formula.  I understand that.  I just think that Rondo is likely staying with the Celts because that will turn out to be the best option for everybody.  Rondo will not sign an extension before he becomes a free agent because that is in his best interest.  And that is fair.  Also, I can't see a Kevin Love kind of scenario developing.  No team has that kind of assets, that kind of fit and that kind of demand from their superstar.  The Celts will likely conclude that it will be better to have him than to lose him for nothing.  They will have to pay to keep him just like they paid to keep AB.  Future Celtics success is more tied to their young players developing into stars and less to the small difference in how much Rondo gets paid.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe Smart can develop into a shooting guard, but if that's the plan it will take him MUCH longer to get to a point where he makes a big impact, if ever.

If you watched any summer league games it was pretty obvious that when Smart was playing off the ball with Pressey he looked like a rookie. When he ran point and had the ball in his hands his confidence doubled and he looked like a monster.  

He can either be a powerhouse locomotive at the 1, or an undersized poor shooter at the 2. Which position do you think he has a better chance of reaching his top potential? It seems pretty obvious to me.

Also I don't think the Celtics would keep Rondo just to keep him. If he doesn't fit in with the current direction of the team, (which unless there is a huge trade or signing for a top tier vet, he doesn't) than it would be detrimental to the development and long term success of the team.  

If the Celtics miss out on guys like M. Gasol, Aldridge, ect. the only things Rondo will accomplish on this team are: A. stunt the development of Smart, B. keep the team picking in the 13-20 range (treadmill team), and C. sell a couple extra jerseys.  

If selling jerseys, and having Rondo lead this team to multiple first round exits over the next 5 years or so is the goal for management, then we are in for a very frustrating future. 

There is a much higher probability that the Celtics can get a future all-star to pair with Smart by picking in the top 5-10 in the draft over the next few years, than there is that some unnamed current top 25 star will suddenly, and inexplicably decide that the rebuilding and unbalanced Celtics will be the best team for them.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe Smart can develop into a shooting guard, but if that's the plan it will take him MUCH longer to get to a point where he makes a big impact, if ever.

If you watched any summer league games it was pretty obvious that when Smart was playing off the ball with Pressey he looked like a rookie. When he ran point and had the ball in his hands his confidence doubled and he looked like a monster.  

He can either be a powerhouse locomotive at the 1, or an undersized poor shooter at the 2. Which position do you think he has a better chance of reaching his top potential? It seems pretty obvious to me.

Also I don't think the Celtics would keep Rondo just to keep him. If he doesn't fit in with the current direction of the team, (which unless there is a huge trade or signing for a top tier vet, he doesn't) than it would be detrimental to the development and long term success of the team.  

If the Celtics miss out on guys like M. Gasol, Aldridge, ect. the only things Rondo will accomplish on this team are: A. stunt the development of Smart, B. keep the team picking in the 13-20 range (treadmill team), and C. sell a couple extra jerseys.  

If selling jerseys, and having Rondo lead this team to multiple first round exits over the next 5 years or so is the goal for management, then we are in for a very frustrating future. 

There is a much higher probability that the Celtics can get a future all-star to pair with Smart by picking in the top 5-10 in the draft over the next few years, than there is that some unnamed current top 25 star will suddenly, and inexplicably decide that the rebuilding and unbalanced Celtics will be the best team for them.  

[/QUOTE]

As I said, everybody has their own formula.  What really happens will depend upon circumstances.  I was stating my best guess of the future.  Not based upon my wishes but how I see circumstances developing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As I said, everybody has their own formula.  What really happens will depend upon circumstances.  I was stating my best guess of the future.  Not based upon my wishes but how I see circumstances developing.

[/QUOTE]

That's cool, I was just saying that the circumstances you set in your last post are contradictory to themselves. The Celtics can't stick with Rondo AND develop their young guys. Rondo needs veteran starters to play with and the young guys need the vets gone to play. It can't work both ways.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why would the Celtics wait until unrestricted FA if Rondo will not sign an extension before?  Why wait and risk losing him for nothing which you say they would likely don't want to do?  And they have Smart or at least have high hope that he is the next PG of the team.  Yes every one has their own formula, so what is the right formula for Ainge for best long term value if Rondo would not sign and will wait for FA and Smart there as the highest draft pick by the Celtics in a very long time?