1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Re: Rondo trade inevitable?

In response to scubber's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prakash's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree, two starting PGs make no sense in the long run so it is difficult to see that both Smart and Rondo will be here long term. And Smart is not a sharp shooting guard so playing both at 1 and 2 at the same time also makes no sense.

[/QUOTE]

Is Smart a point guard yet?  Who knows what Smart will become.  Ty Lawson or DWade?

Folks want the Celts to get better fast and each has his/her own wishlist/formula.  I understand that.  I just think that Rondo is likely staying with the Celts because that will turn out to be the best option for everybody.  Rondo will not sign an extension before he becomes a free agent because that is in his best interest.  And that is fair.  Also, I can't see a Kevin Love kind of scenario developing.  No team has that kind of assets, that kind of fit and that kind of demand from their superstar.  The Celts will likely conclude that it will be better to have him than to lose him for nothing.  They will have to pay to keep him just like they paid to keep AB.  Future Celtics success is more tied to their young players developing into stars and less to the small difference in how much Rondo gets paid.

[/QUOTE]

Why would the Celtics wait until unrestricted FA if Rondo will not sign an extension before?  Why wait and risk losing him for nothing which you say they would likely don't want to do?  And they have Smart or at least have high hope that he is the next PG of the team.  Yes every one has their own formula, so what is the right formula for Ainge for best long term value if Rondo would not sign and will wait for FA and Smart there as the highest draft pick by the Celtics in a very long time?

[/QUOTE]

Because I don't see a trade scenario developing.  Rondo will not sign a contract extension before he becomes a free agent.  That is in his best interest.  In a trade, the Celts will have to take back salary.  Also, they will be looking for some assets.  Which team has expiring contracts AND assets to trade for Rondo without him signing a contract extension with them?  And if the trade has to happen without Danny getting any assets, then why do it?  And how is that better than keeping the possibility of Rondo's return open?

I wish Danny could trade Rondo to improve the Celts at a faster pace.  But I don't see that happening.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree, two starting PGs make no sense in the long run so it is difficult to see that both Smart and Rondo will be here long term. And Smart is not a sharp shooting guard so playing both at 1 and 2 at the same time also makes no sense.

[/QUOTE]

Is Smart a point guard yet?  Who knows what Smart will become.  Ty Lawson or DWade?

Folks want the Celts to get better fast and each has his/her own wishlist/formula.  I understand that.  I just think that Rondo is likely staying with the Celts because that will turn out to be the best option for everybody.  Rondo will not sign an extension before he becomes a free agent because that is in his best interest.  And that is fair.  Also, I can't see a Kevin Love kind of scenario developing.  No team has that kind of assets, that kind of fit and that kind of demand from their superstar.  The Celts will likely conclude that it will be better to have him than to lose him for nothing.  They will have to pay to keep him just like they paid to keep AB.  Future Celtics success is more tied to their young players developing into stars and less to the small difference in how much Rondo gets paid.

[/QUOTE]

Why would the Celtics wait until unrestricted FA if Rondo will not sign an extension before?  Why wait and risk losing him for nothing which you say they would likely don't want to do?  And they have Smart or at least have high hope that he is the next PG of the team.  Yes every one has their own formula, so what is the right formula for Ainge for best long term value if Rondo would not sign and will wait for FA and Smart there as the highest draft pick by the Celtics in a very long time?

[/QUOTE]

Because I don't see a trade scenario developing.  Rondo will not sign a contract extension before he becomes a free agent.  That is in his best interest.  In a trade, the Celts will have to take back salary.  Also, they will be looking for some assets.  Which team has expiring contracts AND assets to trade for Rondo without him signing a contract extension with them?  And if the trade has to happen without Danny getting any assets, then why do it?  And how is that better than keeping the possibility of Rondo's return open?

I wish Danny could trade Rondo to improve the Celts at a faster pace.  But I don't see that happening.

[/QUOTE]

I think you are way off here.  It should instead say that which team does not have 11-12 millions of mediocre salaries and a mid to late or future protected first rounder to trade for Rondo?  We know that Rondo is not going to fetch high first round pick but I don't think Ainge is going to demand one in this case.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]

I think you are way off here.  It should instead say that which team does not have 11-12 millions of mediocre salaries and a mid to late or future protected first rounder to trade for Rondo?  We know that Rondo is not going to fetch high first round pick but I don't think Ainge is going to demand one in this case.

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.  So which teams have 11-12M of mediocre (non-burdensome) salary and a mid to late 1st rounder where the trade will be better than the option of retaining Rondo?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.  So which teams have 11-12M of mediocre (non-burdensome) salary and a mid to late 1st rounder where the trade will be better than the option of retaining Rondo?

[/QUOTE]
    The "option" of retaining Rondo is up to Rondo, and the consensus fear is that he won't choose to stay with the Celtics, even if they offer him the most money. He isn't a good fit for a rebuilding team and there will be interested teams like the Rockets, Mavs, Lakers, and Knicks who will have ready-made playoff teams, Stars to play with, and money to spend.  IMO there is no way Rondo stays a Celtic if he is allowed to get to free agency. 

So the question isn't if you can get equal value for him at this point, it's can you get ANYTHING of value for him before he walks. 

If Danny can get ONE decent prospect for him then he's got to take the deal.  There is a 99% chance whatever player we get back won't ever be as good as prime Rondo, but at least we will get something.

The Knicks, Lakers, and Detroit all have some young prospects, expiring contracts to offer, and would be teams Rondo would probably resign with. There are other teams that will pop up before the trade deadline with interest in Rondo, but at this point those three seem like the best options.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Rondo for Hibbert!

Or send Hibbert to PHO.............Rondo to IND..............Len to IND..........Hill, Copeland and TJ Warren to us.

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to CelticGreenLP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    The "option" of retaining Rondo is up to Rondo, and the consensus fear is that he won't choose to stay with the Celtics, even if they offer him the most money. He isn't a good fit for a rebuilding team and there will be interested teams like the Rockets, Mavs, Lakers, and Knicks who will have ready-made playoff teams, Stars to play with, and money to spend.  IMO there is no way Rondo stays a Celtic if he is allowed to get to free agency. 

So the question isn't if you can get equal value for him at this point, it's can you get ANYTHING of value for him before he walks. 

If Danny can get ONE decent prospect for him then he's got to take the deal.  There is a 99% chance whatever player we get back won't ever be as good as prime Rondo, but at least we will get something.

The Knicks, Lakers, and Detroit all have some young prospects, expiring contracts to offer, and would be teams Rondo would probably resign with. There are other teams that will pop up before the trade deadline with interest in Rondo, but at this point those three seem like the best options.

[/QUOTE]

I understand that theory.  For example, The Knicks can trade Amare and lets say a 1st rounder for Rondo and Bass.  Salary wise it all works.  Why should the Knicks do that?  To repeat the Dwight Howard experience?  And if they determine that they have the ability to get Rondo to resign with them, why not retain the 1st rounder and go after Rondo as a free agent?

The trade will happen if both sides think that it is to their advantage to do the trade.  Salary dump will have very little value for Danny.  Contenders don't have expiring contracts and reasonable 1st rounders to trade.  Non-contenders would rather take their chances with Rondo as a free agent.

I am not arguing that Rondo should not be traded.  I am saying that I can't see a scenario where a trade can happen.  Sure, Danny can just trade Rondo for nothing, not even a 1st rounder.  But why?  I would rather keep options open even if it means that he walks away next year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I understand that theory.  For example, The Knicks can trade Amare and lets say a 1st rounder for Rondo and Bass.  Salary wise it all works.  Why should the Knicks do that?  To repeat the Dwight Howard experience?  And if they determine that they have the ability to get Rondo to resign with them, why not retain the 1st rounder and go after Rondo as a free agent?

The trade will happen if both sides think that it is to their advantage to do the trade.  Salary dump will have very little value for Danny.  Contenders don't have expiring contracts and reasonable 1st rounders to trade.  Non-contenders would rather take their chances with Rondo as a free agent.

I am not arguing that Rondo should not be traded.  I am saying that I can't see a scenario where a trade can happen.  Sure, Danny can just trade Rondo for nothing, not even a 1st rounder.  But why?  I would rather keep options open even if it means that he walks away next year.

[/QUOTE]

Rondo doesn't fit with the new plans and can only serve as an expensive distraction.... or an even more expensive addition.

Pud

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rondo doesn't fit with the new plans and can only serve as an expensive distraction.... or an even more expensive addition.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Circumstances play a big role in success or failure of plans.  So one can't become prisoner of a plan.  That is why options have to be kept open.

If the only option is to trade Rondo for nothing then why not wait and see how the plan develops?  If it develops well, let him walk next year.  Or if possible, do a sign & trade.  Denver ended up getting something back by doing a sign & trade for Igudala.

My personal preference is to see the Celts become contenders soon.  I don't see a Rondo trade happening.  And I think that next year the Celts might keep Rondo instead of letting him walk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I have no doubt that Rondo will be traded.

Danny could get something of value if the starting PG on a competitive team goes down or is slowed by injury, otherwise worst case, several teams would be willing to give up a first rounder and an expiring contract.

something...anything, is better than nothing.  Danny won't let him walk for nothing.  Not no way.  Not no how.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

tell us something new, dunker. you didn't have any doubt last year either, right? in fact, when did you ever? maybe you could just let us know when you do have some doubt.    :-)

bp

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Danny could get something of value if the starting PG on a competitive team goes down or is slowed by injury, otherwise worst case, several teams would be willing to give up a first rounder and an expiring contract.

something...anything, is better than nothing.  Danny won't let him walk for nothing.  Not no way.  Not no how.

[/QUOTE]

THIS^

Sections
Shortcuts