Rondo Tradebait?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Rondo Tradebait?

Gortat just said he doesn't want to be traded. :) 

OneonOne you missed a key piece of analysis, Rondo is now in the top ten jersey sales in the NBA and he is box office. The Celtics will not trade him lightly. 

I don't think this has changed much or that this is news. Ainge will trade Rondo for an even better point guard or a great big, and that's about it. Both of those are in short supply. So, expect to see Rondo around. 

The only things that could change this would be: if Rondo gets one more serious suspension, in which case Ainge may get fed up, or, if the Celtics fall well short of expectations this season and it is deemed to be Rondo's fault. That assessment will have to wait. 

If Rondo were traded this season it would be right before the deadline when more teams realize they are out of it and are ready to trade great players. 

Also, the record with and without Rondo is a tricky one. Teams can get by without key players for stretches. If Rondo was out for longer (months) I don't think you'd see the same result. 

Till then it's all just wishful thinking at best. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Gortat just said he doesn't want to be traded. :) 

OneonOne you missed a key piece of analysis, Rondo is now in the top ten jersey sales in the NBA and he is box office. The Celtics will not trade him lightly. 

I don't think this has changed much or that this is news. Ainge will trade Rondo for an even better point guard or a great big, and that's about it. Both of those are in short supply. So, expect to see Rondo around. 

The only things that could change this would be: if Rondo gets one more serious suspension, in which case Ainge may get fed up, or, if the Celtics fall well short of expectations this season and it is deemed to be Rondo's fault. That assessment will have to wait. 

If Rondo were traded this season it would be right before the deadline when more teams realize they are out of it and are ready to trade great players. 

Also, the record with and without Rondo is a tricky one. Teams can get by without key players for stretches. If Rondo was out for longer (months) I don't think you'd see the same result. 

Till then it's all just wishful thinking at best. 

Actually I didn't miss anything.  I just posted the article.  I happen to agree with some of it as I said.  All of it,  no.   Would not suprise me at all if their are no trades at all.  Just because C fans want a trade doesn't make it happen.   We tend to over value our guys just as other teams do theirs.  Thats why it is hard to make trades.   Again I never said I was ready to trade Rondo as I like him,  would just like to see some improvement in a couple of areas.  I can live with the free throw shooting, and his outside shot.  Other parts I am not as happy with.  Teams don't usually trade players like Rondo without reason, so with that said I doubt very seriously that he would be traded at this time.

Its pretty obvious posters have different opinions on whether they would or wouldn't do something like this.  Thats alright with me.  I value everyones opinion on real trade scenarios. I won't knock their opinion on a trade because I don't like it (unless it is unrealistic)  or don't think it will happen. 

One thing I do think is NO ONE is off the radar on a trade other than KG.  A lot of them I don't want gone but if it help the C's I am all for it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Who are the right bigs?

Dwight Howard?

Roy Hibbert?

Al Jefferson?

Brook Lopez?

Andrew Bynum?

Who?

Let me reword that for you.  The right players.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from texasgreen. Show texasgreen's posts

Perhaps I am missing something here but I do not think there is any major trade for a Celtics player unless you are totally in the rebuild mode. If I remember correctly when Perkins was traded away it placed Rondo in a mood that affected his basketball game. Rondo pulled last year for Bradley to be in the starting lineup over Allen. There is a chemistry there between the two and if you trade Bradley you might affect Rondo again. Same with Sully in that when you have team players and coach talking so highly of a rookie it will affect the team. I think if Danny pulls something off it will be for a capable backup at center and wait until the off season before making a major move.

I think Danny waits until the deadline to see if there is anyone out there he can get because he still has more money available than the Heat. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

Let me reword that for you.  The right players.

snakeoil said "the right big".

I still don't think it's a good idea to trade Rondo now. Why not after the season?

We're better off just adding a Gortat.

Gortat is  your opinion as well as mine, but that doesn't mean other people can't have opinons on the subject. 

I never said it was a good idea or not to trade Rondo, again I only posted a article suggesting it. I also said I agreed with parts of it which I do. I also said no one is off limits.   Is that so hard to understand?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

Its just a article,  just like every other thread we have seen about trading Sully, Bradley, Lee, Bass, Melo, Terry,  etc.  Like Snake said it would have to be for the right big.  No one wants to GIVE Rondo away.

Agree 100%. The article is well written,  and presents points I don't think anyone can legitimately argue with. Danny has to do what is best for the team in the short term and long term.  Some decisions are tough, and sometimes the choices will not be liked by all. If an offer comes along that provides a talented big, you have to do it. All trades are risky,  but you can't play it safe and be successful

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

Its just a article,  just like every other thread we have seen about trading Sully, Bradley, Lee, Bass, Melo, Terry,  etc.  Like Snake said it would have to be for the right big.  No one wants to GIVE Rondo away.

Agree 100%. The article is well written,  and presents points I don't think anyone can legitimately argue with. Danny has to do what is best for the team in the short term and long term.  Some decisions are tough, and sometimes the choices will not be liked by all. If an offer comes along that provides a talented big, you have to do it. All trades are risky,  but you can't play it safe and be successful

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

If the MASTER PLAN is to make Avery Bradley the starting PG of the Celtics then go ahead, trade Rondo.

But it's BS if you guys think the offense will run smoothly with a Calderon or a Lowry. 

I don't think the offense has run smoothly all year.  We are winning because we are playing defense................

And I think that it may be better if we have a guy who can hit an outside shot if we got a Cousins or a Gortat............they get doubled now, and Rondo throws up a brick.  We need more offense from our PG position!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

If you have the right players and you play them the right way, the offense will flow. You don't need a great passing PG for that.

I just happen to think we would do well if we traded Rondo for say Gortat, also this season.

Not that i think it will happen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

If the MASTER PLAN is to make Avery Bradley the starting PG of the Celtics then go ahead, trade Rondo.

But it's BS if you guys think the offense will run smoothly with a Calderon or a Lowry. 

I don't think the offense has run smoothly all year.  We are winning because we are playing defense................

And I think that it may be better if we have a guy who can hit an outside shot if we got a Cousins or a Gortat............they get doubled now, and Rondo throws up a brick.  We need more offense from our PG position!

We are number 21 out of 30 on pts average per game.  We do have the 6th high FG percentage though.  Maybe you can't have both. Our offense comes from the outside mainly so the % made is not bad at all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to basketbert's comment:

I'm not so sure. I think the stats will show that the team has done quite all right with Rondo out. I know, we don't know about playoffs and long-term, but it may not be that big a deal.

I'm in the camp that would move him if we could get a very good big.

HAHAHA

You really want the 2011 Perkins trade to happen all over again?

If you want to trade Rondo, wait after the season is over because you said it yourself, we won't know what will happen in the playoffs if we don't have Rondo.

Right now the Celtics are a Gortat away from being a very good team. So why mess up a team that's a tweak away from being great?

Its interesting how you now consistently say the Cs are one big man(Gortat) away from being a very good team when you used to say they were one big man away from being an elite team.... just an observation....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtic213. Show celtic213's posts

If you have the right players and you play them the right way, the offense will flow. You don't need a great passing PG for that.

I just happen to think we would do well if we traded Rondo for say Gortat, also this season.

rajon rondo a 26 year old all star point guard that averages 13 11 and 5 and we want to trade him for gortat? is this a joke

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to celtic213's comment:

rajon rondo a 26 year old all star point guard that averages 13 11 and 5 and we want to trade him for gortat? is this a joke

I don't think many people on this board or the C's organization would make such a trade.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

[/QUOTE]

is this a joke?

[/QUOTE]

I CAN CONFIRM: THIS IS A JOKE

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

Article I just found.  Very interesting.  Can't say that I disagree with it.  Especially since over the last couple years we have won nearly 66% of the games Rondo has missed.  Please don't start with I am a Rondo hater either.  I am not.  Lets just say I agree with a lot of this article.

Yet again, Rajon Rondo has been brought up as possible trade bait and maybe it's time to strongly consider moving him.

In a chat on espn.com Wednesday, NBA writer Chad Ford said this about the Celtics making a trade:

Yes I would put them up there with the Rockets, Grizzlies and Lakers as the most active teams right now. I'd be shocked if they didn't get something done. May or may not include Rondo, but the Celtics are looking for a youngish player to fill out their front line.

Now Ford did not say the Celtics are shopping Rondo or have included him in any trade proposals and “may or may not” is not very strong language. But Ford does have his finger on the pulse of the league and this is not the first time Rondo has been the subject of trade rumors.

Yes the Celtics have won four straight, including three against top competition, but as all the fans were gushing about the team now being on the right track, they forgot one important point. Teams, unless they are very desperate, won't trade struggling players because their value is not there.

Win a few games against good teams and show what the players can really do and the value goes back up. Courtney Lee looks much more valuable now than he did two weeks ago and Jared Sullinger looks like a legit future starter.

That's the problem for fans, the players show their value and, in turn, the fans value them. But if you don't believe this team, as currently constructed, can win the title, which seems to be the case since the Celtics are linked to so many trade rumors meaning Danny Ainge is at least not completely sold on this squad, then you need to do something about it. Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce are on a very short timetable and they certainly won't be traded.

The most valuable pieces the Celtics have are Rondo, Avery Bradley and Sullinger. The Celtics seem hesitant to trade Bradley, but if they are looking for a front court player, then that means Sullinger may (there's that word again) be on the move.

Given both players value right now, a package based around Rondo and Sullinger should pull in top talent. Be that Josh Smith, DeMarcus Cousins (please no) or another “youngish” big.

Here are some reasons to entertain the idea of letting Rondo go:

Rondo's defense has fallen this season. According to Basketball Reference, Rondo is right at his career average of 1.9 steals per game, but his defensive rating is tied for the worst of his career at 103 points allowed per 100 possessions. 

Rondo's defensive win share, an estimate of the number of wins contributed by a player due to his defense is 1.4 this season. His next worse defensive win share season? His rookie campaign at 2.6.

If Bradley were playing all year, then you could make the argument that Rondo didn't have to do as much defensively. But the Bradley/Rondo combo has only played together for four games so far this year.

Rondo's defense just doesn't pass the eye test this year either. He isn't as engaged defensively and is more prone to reach for the steal and pick up a foul or let the guy drive by then keep the man in front of him. Rondo is almost as talented defensively as Bradley, part of the reason Celtics fans drool at the possibility of the two being in the back court for the foreseeable future, but defense just doesn't seem to be a top priority for Rondo anymore.

Rondo has not taken the next step to be a superstar or franchise player in the league. He doesn't take the team on his shoulders and carry them when everyone else is having an off night. The most telling instance was when CSNNE's analyst Donny Marshall said it was “impossible” for Rondo to be great every night. Really? I'm pretty sure LeBron James, Chris Paul and Kevin Durant are great every night or at least 90 percent of nights.

The same can't be said for Rondo. His jumper hasn't improved enough for opposing defenses to worry about, he still can't shoot free throws (63% this year) and now his defense is slipping. This guy is in his seventh season. How long are we supposed to wait until he takes the leap to number one guy?

Then there is the attitude and composure. Rondo just came back from his fourth suspension in the past year. While this recent suspension is itself suspect, he and Doc Rivers have both admitted Rondo has a reputation with the league and that will follow him the rest of his career. The guy just doesn't keep his head.

The bigger point in all of this is simple: point guards don't win championships. Think about it. When was the last time an elite point guard won the title? The last time the point guard was best player on a championship team was Detroit in 2004 with Chauncey Billups and even that is arguable since that squad was the definition of team with every starter being key to the team's success.

The key to today's NBA is wings and bigs. You have Durant, James, Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, Shaq, Dirk Nowitzki, Tim Duncan, etc. Then you have a legit chance to win it all. (side note: Russell Westbrook could keep Durant from winning a title since he needs the ball so much. See last year.)

The proof is in the pudding. Is it simple coincidence that Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd (in his prime, not a role player on Dallas) and Allen Iverson have a combined Zero championships? Now that this is “Rondo's team” you can expect much of the same.

Rondo's put up great numbers in the playoffs and he is truly a great player, but not all great players win championships. Ask yourself, would you rather have John Stockton (hall of famer, no rings) or trade for a big of equal talent to Rondo and have a lesser point guard like Derek Fisher (five rings).

The evidence is mounting. Is it clear & convincing? YOU BE THE JUDGE!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I think that if Rondo does not surpass Lebron James this year as the best player in the world, then he is garbage and should be traded for a mediocre big and a crAppy back-up pg.

- Danny Ainge

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtic213. Show celtic213's posts

In response to tomobo's comment:

Rondo's put up great numbers in the playoffs and he is truly a great player, but not all great players win championships. Ask yourself, would you rather have John Stockton (hall of famer, no rings) or trade for a big of equal talent to Rondo and have a lesser point guard like Derek Fisher (five rings).

The evidence is mounting. Is it clear & convincing? YOU BE THE JUDGE!

im pretty sure rondo has been to 2 finals in 6 years and already has a ring

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The idea that anyone here would consider trading Rondo for Gortat straight up is absurd.  Gortat for Bass or Lee and a draft pick.  Not even sure about the draft pick.

Depending on the real scoop on Melo and his development he could be traded with Bass for Gortat. What I saw from Melo in pre-season did not translate into and NBA starting center.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

And no Bradley is not the guy to fill a PG role on this team.

Exactly! That's why Rondo will not be traded this season.

I will propose a bet. It will be one sided of course(you know why). I propose that Rondo will be gone by the trading deadline. If he in fact stays , I go. If he goes, then I continue my exquisite prose until the ignore button returns and you all ignore me anyway(which is already happening by the way ). You get to continue being you unconditionally either way. Wanna bet?

Sections
Shortcuts