Rondo Turns Off Free-Agents?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Rondo Turns Off Free-Agents?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/17/rajon-rondo-turns-off-free-agents-considering-celtics/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

CelticsBlog @celticsblog
    @GoodmanESPN I've never seen anything to indicate that players (not named Ray Allen) wouldn't want to play with Rondo? Where's that from?

Jeff Goodman ✔ @GoodmanESPN
    Follow
    @celticsblog From me talking to numerous players around the league.
    8:55 PM - 17 Jul 2014

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Re: Rondo Turns Off Free-Agents?

Perhaps Love is an exception who wants to play with Rondo. That would help explain the theory Ainge wants Love and Rondo or neither.

If Boston can’t get Love, Rondo might be an impediment to other second stars.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/17/rajon-rondo-turns-off-free-agents-considering-celtics/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

It goes without saying that at this point the entire team turns off free agents.

That's why you build a young, hungry team that competes, then stars will come.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Rondo dominates the ball for a long period of time in a possession.  For primary shooters in the team, that might not be a problem, but for some others that might be a bit of a turn off.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The first step to getting back to being relevant is to have at least two young-ish, established stars to build around.  If DA trades Rondo then he's back at square 1 -- hoping he can land a centerpiece player or two in the draft, via trade or by throwing a ton of money at him in FA.  Rondo either helps land the next big piece or he should be traded for pieces/picks that can expedite the rebuilding process.  I can't see why guys wouldn't want to play with him -- he's a pass-first PG on a team that needs guys to pass to.  I don't buy media reports that say he turns guys off from playing here. And even if true, then DA may have to trade for them and let them find out for themselves. 

The crux of the Rondo situation is whether DA thinks he's a max salary guy who will be able to be a part of a duo or trio of star players going forward or if he can fetch players/picks to help the C's in their rebuilding process.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Rajon Rondo is the best darn PG in basketball. I have proof! DeMarcus Cousins says it's so!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

Rajon Rondo is the best darn PG in basketball. I have proof! DeMarcus Cousins says it's so!!!

DeMarcus Cousins?

Really?

HAHAHA

I'm not disagreeing with what Cousins said.

It's the "DeMarcus Cousins says so!" that makes me laugh.

HAHAHA

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Yes, in a video interview with Bill Simmons on Grantland, Cousins says Rondo is the best point guard in the NBA.

I would think lots of players would be attracted to joining a team with Rondo. As mentioned, he's a pass-first point guard more interested in accumulating assists than in shooting the ball. Someone like Carmelo Anthony would have loved playing with Rondo. Instead, he foolishly opted out of the hefty final year of his contract in New York, only to stay there for less than the max and decrease his flexibility going forward. If he had delayed free agency one more year, he would have had more options, including Boston.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

Yes, in a video interview with Bill Simmons on Grantland, Cousins says Rondo is the best point guard in the NBA.

I would think lots of players would be attracted to joining a team with Rondo. As mentioned, he's a pass-first point guard more interested in accumulating assists than in shooting the ball. Someone like Carmelo Anthony would have loved playing with Rondo. Instead, he foolishly opted out of the hefty final year of his contract in New York, only to stay there for less than the max and decrease his flexibility going forward. If he had delayed free agency one more year, he would have had more options, including Boston.

When Melo opted out, he became an unrestricted FA.

The Knicks were the only team who could offer Melo 5 years.

And instead of getting 129m, Melo agreed to give the Knicks a discount and settled for 123m.

So it's not true that he decreased his flexibility because even if he didn't opt out, the Knicks are still going to be the only team that can offer 5 years if Melo becomes an UFA next summer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Didn't Carmelo Anthony already have something like $26 million on the final year of his deal? Why not collect that money and then sign a 5 year extension, or force a sign-and-trade? He'll be making less money this coming season than he would have had he waited another year. He also effectively limited his options for sign-and-trades or less heavily discounted deals to better teams.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

Didn't Carmelo Anthony already have something like $26 million on the final year of his deal? Why not collect that money and then sign a 5 year extension, or force a sign-and-trade? He'll be making less money this coming season than he would have had he waited another year. He also effectively limited his options for sign-and-trades or less heavily discounted deals to better teams.

That's because you're assuming that Melo will NEVER get injured this coming season.

Right now Melo is financially secure until 2019.

What if Melo didn't opt out and he tears his ACL or suffers a major injury this coming season?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I think this is a BS story by Goodman. FAs have never flocked to Boston and to put it on Rondo is bogus. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

rondo's name yields clicks and views. same everywhere else as it is here.

btw, he goes nowhere.  :  )

bp

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

Goodman is a NOTORIOUS Rondo hater. He hates Rondo on a Melly Mel level.  He is a Laker fan, although he stopped admitting to it a few years ago.  He looks for every single opportunity to blast Rondo, and I believe legitimately tries to bring down his value.  DO NOT give this man the satisfaction of sharing or even reading anything he says.  He HATES the Celtics!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

I think this is a BS story by Goodman. FAs have never flocked to Boston and to put it on Rondo is bogus. 

+100

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Free agent All Stars want to compete for championships and get paid, not necessarily in that order.

Until the perception of the Celtics changes, that is the reality, right now Rondo is the only reason a free agent would even consider coming to Boston short of money.

This place is comical... we're blaming Rondo for free agents not coming here now when very few free agents would have helped us.  If LeBron or Love aren't coming here it's because there is a better opportunity with numerous young potential All Stars and cap room elsewhere.

The Celtics may be at that point next year with another year of development from Oly, Sully, Smart, Fav and the rest but they're not there yet. Why don't we blame Rondo for global warming and unrest in the middle east while we're at it, it's about as relevant?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

+1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

It's not even a story. It is him trolling CelticsBlog on twitter. That is what he is, a TROLL WHO HATES THE CELTICS!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

The first step to getting back to being relevant is to have at least two young-ish, established stars to build around.  If DA trades Rondo then he's back at square 1 -- hoping he can land a centerpiece player or two in the draft, via trade or by throwing a ton of money at him in FA.  Rondo either helps land the next big piece or he should be traded for pieces/picks that can expedite the rebuilding process.  I can't see why guys wouldn't want to play with him -- he's a pass-first PG on a team that needs guys to pass to.  I don't buy media reports that say he turns guys off from playing here. And even if true, then DA may have to trade for them and let them find out for themselves. 

The crux of the Rondo situation is whether DA thinks he's a max salary guy who will be able to be a part of a duo or trio of star players going forward or if he can fetch players/picks to help the C's in their rebuilding process.   

I think this post says it all.

Once we get a couple young stars, we will not only play much better but we'd attract that centerpiece player.  Right now, we don't have that young star outside of Rondo.  And after him, there is nothing attractive about this roster.  Nothing.

I can see where Rondo can turn off other players.  He had ups and downs with Doc, Pierce and KG and at times, I remember him sulking when Pierce or KG gave him instruction on the court.

Also, I would not put too much emphasis on Rondo being a pass-first guard.  That would apply only to Melo, KD and Kobe - the biggest gunners in the game.  But for the other centerpiece players, they'd require more than just passes from Rondo.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

Once we get a couple young stars, we will not only play much better but we'd attract that centerpiece player.  Right now, we don't have that young star outside of Rondo.  And after him, there is nothing attractive about this roster.  Nothing.

I can see where Rondo can turn off other players.  He had ups and downs with Doc, Pierce and KG and at times, I remember him sulking when Pierce or KG gave him instruction on the court.

Also, I would not put too much emphasis on Rondo being a pass-first guard.  That would apply only to Melo, KD and Kobe - the biggest gunners in the game.  But for the other centerpiece players, they'd require more than just passes from Rondo.

Everyone thats played a sport knows that this happens. When you are around each other each and every day all the time, there are bound to be arguments. Bound to be disagreements. I find it puzzling that people choose to act like Rondo disagreeing with teammates is anything out of the ordinary. We have seen Lebron arguing with Bosh, Wade, and Chalmers on the court numerous times. Does that mean people dont want to play with Lebron now? Does that mean Lebron is a bad teammate? No. It means he is what all NBA players are...human. 

Also, dont forget that those same players you mentioned, KG, Paul, as well as Doc, had nothing but praise for Rondo their last few seasons together, as well as when they departed from the team. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to JamezHill24's comment:

Everyone thats played a sport knows that this happens. When you are around each other each and every day all the time, there are bound to be arguments. Bound to be disagreements. I find it puzzling that people choose to act like Rondo disagreeing with teammates is anything out of the ordinary. We have seen Lebron arguing with Bosh, Wade, and Chalmers on the court numerous times. Does that mean people dont want to play with Lebron now? Does that mean Lebron is a bad teammate? No. It means he is what all NBA players are...human. 

Also, dont forget that those same players you mentioned, KG, Paul, as well as Doc, had nothing but praise for Rondo their last few seasons together, as well as when they departed from the team. 

There you go again trying to compare Rondo to LeBron. One is the best player in the NBA, the other is a top 15 point guard.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

In response to JamezHill24's comment:

There you go again trying to compare Rondo to LeBron. One is the best player in the NBA, the other is a top 15 point guard.

Actually was just using an example that even the guys that players most desire to play with have their disagreements with teammates.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

The person who might actually turn off free agents is Ainge. 

"They don't put Ws and Ls on the paychecks" - Sidney Wicks

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to painter's comment:

The person who might actually turn off free agents is Ainge. 

"They don't put Ws and Ls on the paychecks" - Sidney Wicks

You could be on to something.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

come on, ky. boogie just said 9 is the best PG out there. i'm gonna go ahead and guess you being a louisville as opposed to a wildcat fan makes you as prejudiced against rondo as cousins is pro rondo. either that or you're buying into the company line here at bdc -- folly either way.

bp

Sections
Shortcuts