Rondo unwilling to defend

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Rondo unwilling to defend

Rondo is not playing defense, most of the time.  He has been reading his press releases and his head has swelled to the size of a watermelon.  The guy has lost the ball seveal times trying to showboat.  MVP he better get his act together or he could watch from the bench, he is on a talented team. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Rondo unwilling to defend

In response to Kirk6's comment:

Some days you get the good Rondo, and some days you get the bad Rondo.

And in the playoffs you get the great Rondo.

Sometimes....

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

True, it's the preseason, plus he is playing with some players that aren't even going to be in the rotation.  This makes it a little inconsistent when it comes to help defense and where he expects people to be on certain plays.  Rondo knows this offense and defense better than anyone.  I'm not worried about him taking it easy in the preseason because he is going to log more minutes than anyone else during the season.  So to get a little breather now is a must.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

And some days you want to bench him for Bradley. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticNut. Show CelticNut's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

And some days you want to bench him for Bradley. 

I'm sure Doc talked to Rondo about lightening up in the preseason after seeing him on the floor diving for loose balls in the first three preseason games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"MVP he better get his act together or he could watch from the bench, he is on a talented team. "

Wanna bet? Rondo is going to play a ton of minutes this season. 

Heads up: there is very little defense in the preseason, that's not what it's for. 

That said I do think Rondo is overrated as a defender and needs to improve there, way too much emphasis on steals and he did not deserve the all defensive team honors he got in the past. He's still a much better defender than Steve Nash was in his MVP seasons, and Nash spent very little time on the bench during those years. 

"And some days you want to bench him for Bradley. "

Heads up #2: Bradley is a two guard. In fact Bradley takes his game to another level when he's able to play with Rondo who knows how to get him the ball where he needs it. But then we won't be seeing Bradley until 2013 and there's no guarantee he will be the same player. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

No.  Rondo's really hasn't been a great on-the-ball-defender.  He's a good off-the-ball-defender.  He plays the passing lanes well, but his on-the-ball-defense is bad.  He plays matador defense - alot of times the guy goes right by him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

No.  Rondo's really hasn't been a great on-the-ball-defender.  He's a good off-the-ball-defender.  He plays the passing lanes well, but his on-the-ball-defense is bad.  He plays matador defense - alot of times the guy goes right by him.

Something he still needs to work on but Rondo is a hard worker and always trying to improve. I'm sure Doc values this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

its preseason, butttt he isnt a FANTASTIC on ball defender. Still good tho, compared to other players in the league.

Watch from the bench? you dont even believe that lol.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

Sometimes....

Pud

He was either the best or second best player on court during the Miami series all 7 games.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Sometimes....

Pud

He was either the best or second best player on court during the Miami series all 7 games.

R9R has played  in more than 90 PO games and 15 PO series in his career. His 7 game post season play against the Heat this past year, while remarkable, is hardly a representative sample.

Based on  his PO history, Rondo's play in post seasons is  great.... only sometimes. Way more often than not, it has ranged from good... to ordinary... to awful.

Sometimes he shows up and plays to his great potential but more often, he doesn't. Much  like in regular season but perhaps with a bit more drama.

Pud

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

Concur. And as another poster alluded to, "It's preseason."

As Always,

CELTICS RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JamLock

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Rondo's on ball D is well know to be weak (because he doesn't try - he's trying for the steal, rebound, and fast break).   Its VERY well known.   Its not going to change this year.  Rondo is who he is and we'll see some great steals......but also a lot of times when his man is causing havoc with our bigs because of penetration.

We just have to hope that the great assets he brings overcome the three glarin weaknesses in his game (jumpers, free throws, and on the ball defense).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

Rondo's on ball D is well know to be weak (because he doesn't try - he's trying for the steal, rebound, and fast break).   Its VERY well known.   Its not going to change this year.  Rondo is who he is and we'll see some great steals......but also a lot of times when his man is causing havoc with our bigs because of penetration.

We just have to hope that the great assets he brings overcome the three glarin weaknesses in his game (jumpers, free throws, and on the ball defense).

The bright side is it is looking like Lee is a very good on the ball defender.  Throw bradley in there and I think we got two of the best in the league in defense. Talk about speed and quickness.,  WOW. You imaging going small with say  Rondo, Lee, Bradley,  Pierce\Green, KG on the floor?    If we got the rebound you could just about chalk up 2 pts.  Steals out the Wazoo.  I can't wait for this to get started.   I sure hope we get off to about a 15 and 5 record to start the season.  If we do  and think it might catapult us.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

The bright side is it is looking like Lee is a very good on the ball defender.  Throw bradley in there and I think we got two of the best in the league in defense. Talk about speed and quickness.,  WOW. You imaging going small with say  Rondo, Lee, Bradley,  Pierce\Green, KG on the floor?    If we got the rebound you could just about chalk up 2 pts.  Steals out the Wazoo.  I can't wait for this to get started.   I sure hope we get off to about a 15 and 5 record to start the season.  If we do  and think it might catapult us.

Yup!  Should be fun to watch.  Love our guard rotation on both offense AND defense (still a little worried about our rebounding)..... but I also have to admit that Philly, Nets, Knicks, and Miami all got better, too.

This is going to be fun!   Danny did a wonderful job this year!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

okay, but why is it that he's not a great on-the-ball defender?  this is what bothers me second most about rondo.  he's super quick, he COULD BE fantastic on the ball defender- the biggest pest in the league and if he played honest D rather than gamble for steals D then he'd get even more steals and we wouldn't be faced with so many opposing players streaming to the hoop free of any defensive presence as rondo has lunged for a gamble-steal and lost.

good fundamentals never go out of style.  unless you are too hard headed to want to use them.  rondo is too hard headed.  always has been.  it makes as much sense as his FT% and basic J functionality being so brutally low for so many years.  no sense.

but alas, you are what you are pressured into being- doc has made zero effort to change rondo and craft him into a 1 on 1 defender lock down machine like bradley is.  IF rondo changed his ways, rondo-bradley could be the biggest 1-2 pest tandem in the league and probably get us 20 easy points a night on average from steals.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

How do you know Doc has made zero effort to change Rondo?   I didn't know you attended all the team meetings and all the practices.   I remember Doc criticizing Rondo about the reason our defense broke down was that the guards allowed too much penetration.  I remember him criticiing both Rondo and Ray for that.   

So, you must have some inside information that the rest of us don't have if you know what Doc has and has never done.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Sometimes....

Pud

R9R has played  in more than 90 PO games and 15 PO series in his career. His 7 game post season play against the Heat this past year, while remarkable, is hardly a representative sample.

Based on  his PO history, Rondo's play in post seasons is  great.... only sometimes. Way more often than not, it has ranged from good... to ordinary... to awful.

Sometimes he shows up and plays to his great potential but more often, he doesn't. Much  like in regular season but perhaps with a bit more drama.

Pud

In 19 playoff games last year he averaged 17 points, 12 assists and 7 boards.  Since you say that it is "more often" that he doesn't play up to his potential could you point out all the games in the playoffs last year that he didn't do so?

Thanks lady.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Sometimes....

Pud

Pud

In 19 playoff games last year he averaged 17 points, 12 assists and 7 boards.  Since you say that it is "more often" that he doesn't play up to his potential could you point out all the games in the playoffs last year that he didn't do so?

Thanks lady.

Great points made.  I really would like to see what Pud comes up with?

As Always,

CELTICS RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JamLock

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I find two parts of Rondo's defense that troubles me.  His on ball is weak as his first line of defense is an attempted swipe from behiond for a steal rather than actually defending.  Second and as frustrating is his INABILITY or UNWILLINGNESS to fight through picks.

Now if Rondo is physically incapable of fighting through 90% of the picks he faces, then so be it but who really believes that?  I just dont get it that its acceptable ...  other than just perhaps..  Rondo plays so many minutes and uses up so much energy on offense that it would cut his minutes down considerably to actually play legit D.. I dont buy into it but who knows...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

I find two parts of Rondo's defense that troubles me.  His on ball is weak as his first line of defense is an attempted swipe from behiond for a steal rather than actually defending.  Second and as frustrating is his INABILITY or UNWILLINGNESS to fight through picks.

Now if Rondo is physically incapable of fighting through 90% of the picks he faces, then so be it but who really believes that?  I just dont get it that its acceptable ...  other than just perhaps..  Rondo plays so many minutes and uses up so much energy on offense that it would cut his minutes down considerably to actually play legit D.. I dont buy into it but who knows...

i dont think its that he CANT fight through the picks. Its kind of like when you used to see him dunk on fast breaks, but starting last yr he stopped dunking, i believe he had zero dunks on the year. When asked about it, he said he didnt wanna waste any more energy than he had to, that way he stayed fresh throughout the game. He is very good at this, and enables him to play huge minutes, like the 52 minute effort we got in the playoffs last year. I think he has decided that, rather than exhausting himself muscling thru every pick, he weaves his way thru. He plays a roaming style of defense anyways, that Doc has vouched for. To the outside fan, it looks like he is just being lazy and letting his man do whatever, but with KG behind you in the paint you dont HAVE to be the stick-um on ball defender that Avery Bradley is.

i will admit, there are some nights where he needs to shed that and just play tight d, but for the most part there is so much switching, showing and masking to the C's defense that its liable to happen, and based on Rondo's steal numbers its obviously affective.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Who really is a lock down defender these days?  The guards are so quick you can only hope to containe them.  Rondo plays just as good of defense as DWill, Wade, Ellis, Rose, Wall, and any other quick guard out there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to JamezHill24's comment:
    [/QUOTE]

i dont think its that he CANT fight through the picks. Its kind of like when you used to see him dunk on fast breaks, but starting last yr he stopped dunking, i believe he had zero dunks on the year. When asked about it, he said he didnt wanna waste any more energy than he had to, that way he stayed fresh throughout the game. He is very good at this, and enables him to play huge minutes, like the 52 minute effort we got in the playoffs last year. I think he has decided that, rather than exhausting himself muscling thru every pick, he weaves his way thru. He plays a roaming style of defense anyways, that Doc has vouched for. To the outside fan, it looks like he is just being lazy and letting his man do whatever, but with KG behind you in the paint you dont HAVE to be the stick-um on ball defender that Avery Bradley is.

i will admit, there are some nights where he needs to shed that and just play tight d, but for the most part there is so much switching, showing and masking to the C's defense that its liable to happen, and based on Rondo's steal numbers its obviously affective.

[/QUOTE]

If Rondo were truly interested in staying fresh throughout the game and conserving his energies rather than showboating, he would make the easy pass rather than the riskier, more difficult pass... the pass the crowd goes "oooh... aaah" over.

Same with working hard/playing team defense, fighting thru piks versus the "lazy", matador defense that leads to an occasional steal... and the "ooohs and aaahs" once again.

Its a mind set.

Pud

Sections
Shortcuts