Rondo was a minus 4 tonight.....

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Rondo was a minus 4 tonight.....

Yeah the plus/minus is an infallible stat. Yeah sure it is. 

Did you watch the game? Rondo was the best player on the floor. Don't forget to watch with your eyes. He was the best player and the Celts won. 

I don't need to have a stat argument when I can see with my own eyes who is a talented player and who is a valuable but aging veteran who has to pick his spots.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Rondos man to man defense remains terrible.. I watched last night as he purposely allowed his man to penetrate so he could try another "swipe" from behind.. Rondo is a player I equate to a Las Vegas gambler.. who on occassion goes "all in" ..Unfortunately, Rondo plays defense the same way... its either the occassional swipe steal or the more usual where his opponent drives into the lane wreaking havoc with our defense.

I dont know the stats but seems to me Rondo has improved both on FT's and FG%..or at least on his jumper.  Also seems much more willing to take his jumper

HE's also a stat ho when it comes to assists imo.. the pass up a breakaway layup to give a teammate a harder shot for an assist is unexplainable and an insult...

Wwhen the ball leaves Rondos hand, hes expecting an assist... not much moving the ball around or running plays (I blame Doc more than Rondo).   Hes got great vision and skills but I dont like Doc allowing him to pound the ball endlessly until someone opens up. Pushing the pace and moving the ball... if Doc could get him on the right page, Rondo could be even more amazing and valuable.

Lastly, his attitude ... the weeks of pouting and not giving effort after the Perk trade a perfect example.. his pushing a ref  getting a suspension during the playoffs..shows lack of control and leadership.. More recently inserting himself into the Humpries/KG issue was dumb imo.. 2 games off, was it worth it?? and Doc pampering him over it...too scared to criticize or state the obvious that Rondo was wrong and cost the team 2 games...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

People for the last two years lamented how Rondo could not fundamentally shoot.  This season he has transformed himself into a real shooter.  I was doubtful about this but now he has shown a fluidity that makes him a guy who can make you pay when left open.  Added to his all round game, this kid is ready to really play.  

My only fear is without a big man who can play to go with KG and coupled with Pierce falling off so significantly we as a team won't be able to take advantage of this huge step  Rondo has made a huge step, he also hits free throws now.

Bradley coming back may just vault this team like last year if AB is the same player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I don't see how anyone can deny that Rondo is shooting more outside jumpers throughout the game with more confidence and with better results than last year.  In my opinion, we are a better team with Rondo And yes, Fierce, he is a better player than he was last year.   However, everyone has weaknesses and while Rondo's improved his shooting, his on ball defense is horrid.  anyone can and will get beat by quick guards in the NBA but it happens ro Rondo more than others and when picked, he does not fight back over the pick.  it appears to be effort because at the end of close games and in OT, it appears he can and does step up his defensive effort.   He should take notice of KG and Bradley and always TRY to play more intense D.

Rondo also holds the ball too long at time while he directs traffic and eats up valuable clock rather than moving the ball.  It makes us more predictable and we get less hoops at the basket......working for that one open jumper he wants to set up.

so, while we are better with Rondo's many strengths, he still has a lot of improvement to make and his improvement in those two areas will help make this team better.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Not a huge plus minus guy but this was really weird last nite.  Everyone that played was in the plus (other than Joseph who played a minute)  except Rondo.  Rondo was a -4  ,  That doesn't make much sense to me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Bradley in the backcourt with Rondo could really help him focus on his defense. It is contagious.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

rondo mexico?

who thought rondo's comment about going to mexico during his time off was humorous? i did. i chuckled out loud. who bristled at impudent rondo's gall in making such a statement? one can only guess. my point is some of us like and appreciate him and his performance and some of us obviously don't. these perceptions will not easily change.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Come on, Rondo is shooting better this season. In fact, Rondo has improved from last season.

Even Rondo has less turnovers per game this season.

You take the good with the bad with Rondo.

In the end the Celts are a better team with Rondo.

Rondo is the future of the Celtics.  

[/QUOTE]

what?  he's shooting better?  what 60% from the free throw line?  through much of the 3rd quarter last night he was 2-4 from the field?  can someone fetch me the advanced stat for point guards of "dominate the ball" index please?

i'd really like to know how many seconds per shot clock of rock hogging your average PG does compared to rajon.  also what is our "launch time" in the shot clock / 24 seconds?  i bet it's close to league bottom as in "last second".

so i have to take the "good"- tons of assists because he never lets go of the ball with the bad: inconsistent scoring role despite all the tools to dominate a game, minus the desire to draw fouls, the turnovers late in the shot clock, the boring low scoring games and lastly the gamble prone defense when he, again, has the best tools in the league as far as quickness but just not the "interest" to bend the knees and watch the gut of the player he's guarding- you know, just like they taught at dave cowen's camp when you were in 7th grade?  that silly old stuff still works!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Hi,

Yes, you do take good with bad with RR.

Yes, he had -4 last night, yes, he had 5 turnovers, etc. But why no one mentioned his main talents: court vision and understanding of the game of basketball, e.g. (Tommy picked that out right away) his long passes to the offensive zone that disrupted 'Wolves defense.

Oh well, there're always people who are not happy with what they have.

AK

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to concord27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

People for the last two years lamented how Rondo could not fundamentally shoot.  This season he has transformed himself into a real shooter.  

[/QUOTE]A real shooter......????

Let me know when R9R takes his first contested jumper.

Until then... call me a wee bit skeptical.

Pud

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rondos man to man defense remains terrible.. I watched last night as he purposely allowed his man to penetrate so he could try another "swipe" from behind.. Rondo is a player I equate to a Las Vegas gambler.. who on occassion goes "all in" ..Unfortunately, Rondo plays defense the same way... its either the occassional swipe steal or the more usual where his opponent drives into the lane wreaking havoc with our defense.

I dont know the stats but seems to me Rondo has improved both on FT's and FG%..or at least on his jumper.  Also seems much more willing to take his jumper

HE's also a stat ho when it comes to assists imo.. the pass up a breakaway layup to give a teammate a harder shot for an assist is unexplainable and an insult...

Wwhen the ball leaves Rondos hand, hes expecting an assist... not much moving the ball around or running plays (I blame Doc more than Rondo).   Hes got great vision and skills but I dont like Doc allowing him to pound the ball endlessly until someone opens up. Pushing the pace and moving the ball... if Doc could get him on the right page, Rondo could be even more amazing and valuable.

Lastly, his attitude ... the weeks of pouting and not giving effort after the Perk trade a perfect example.. his pushing a ref  getting a suspension during the playoffs..shows lack of control and leadership.. More recently inserting himself into the Humpries/KG issue was dumb imo.. 2 games off, was it worth it?? and Doc pampering him over it...too scared to criticize or state the obvious that Rondo was wrong and cost the team 2 games...

[/QUOTE]

Other than his matador defense(which has to by design of team defense or Doc would sit him, no?) I get infuriated watching this BS.  I watched one game earlier where he was literally driving in for a wide open layup and kicked it out and thats unexplainable to me. I understand you wanting to get a teamate going for whatever and if its a 2 on 0 fastbreak I dont mind the dish, but to give up a layup for a jumper and it doesnt go in, I would pull him if I were coach to make my statement,. I dont know if Doc is just hamstrung with Rondo because Danny signed and you have to play him but he does seem like an assist freak which messes with the flow of the game. sometimes its the 2nd or 3rd pass thats the best assists but if you dont shoot it right away he calls for the ball and dribbles around agian looking for that next assist and ends up wasting the clock down and shooting  bad shot when he could have just took the open shot he ALWAYS has...smh, It drives me nuts. I know he wants to be a pure PG, but thats overkill with the assists, IMO

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

People for the last two years lamented how Rondo could not fundamentally shoot.  This season he has transformed himself into a real shooter.  I was doubtful about this but now he has shown a fluidity that makes him a guy who can make you pay when left open.  Added to his all round game, this kid is ready to really play.  

My only fear is without a big man who can play to go with KG and coupled with Pierce falling off so significantly we as a team won't be able to take advantage of this huge step  Rondo has made a huge step, he also hits free throws now.

Bradley coming back may just vault this team like last year if AB is the same player.

[/QUOTE]

I dont know, I agree he has improved shooting but never thought it was that bad, he just doenst like to shoot. To this day, amazing as he his, I can only recall one regular season game where he played like a real PG and passed when he was supposed to and shot when he was supposed to. That was a game in S.A. a couple years back. I mean he literally took the shot everytime they fell back and passed whenever they got close and had a great shooting percentage. I thought he arrived at that point but never played that way again. So while I agree he is a much better shooter I dont believe he utilizes on a game to game basis. He is mostly worried about getting assists which is his job, but first and foremost its to run the team the best way possible and too many times he has his mind made up on what he is doing instead of taking what the defense gives him. As good as he is, he really could be that much better if he wasnt so stubborn and always looking for assists.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

People for the last two years lamented how Rondo could not fundamentally shoot.  This season he has transformed himself into a real shooter.  

[/QUOTE]A real shooter......????

Let me know when R9R takes his first contested jumper.

Until then... call me a wee bit skeptical.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

I get what you are trying to say, but thats the least of my worries. Why do you want him shooting contested jumpers again??  He is a pg who is always open at the top of the key,. should he dribble into traffic and purposely take a bad shot???    Your argument is weak. He is taking advantage of a concieved notion that he cant shoot, Is it his fault if the other PG doesnt gaurd him. I will admit rondo frustrates me, but we all know you will find anything to say and this makes no sense..

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

RR improved.  Needs to make fewer TOs but he does gamble. 

FAB twisting turning jumping lay up last nite.  Just GR8!

Game highlite  IMO

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Wait, you guys actually look at +/-? It's a joke.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah the plus/minus is an infallible stat. Yeah sure it is. 

Did you watch the game? Rondo was the best player on the floor. Don't forget to watch with your eyes. He was the best player and the Celts won. 

I don't need to have a stat argument when I can see with my own eyes who is a talented player and who is a valuable but aging veteran who has to pick his spots.

[/QUOTE]

I never miss a game.

I was astonished at how little defense Rondo plays.

He also had 5 turnovers and threw some horrible passes.

[/QUOTE]

Have you seen some of the passes Terry makes?  Looks like pee-wee rec league stuff sometimes.  As for the +/-, Rondo was on the floor much more with the bench players last night and they didn't have a great night.  It's not all on Rondo.  I don't think his defense was all that bad last night.