Rondo's gone; Should Doc be replaced by Jeff Van Gundy?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

Re: Rondo's gone; Should Doc be replaced by Jeff Van Gundy?

In response to Fierce34's comment:

The Rondo haters are happy that Rondo's not playing anymore.

What's left is the Doc haters.

You guys think Doc should be fired and replaced by Jeff Van Gundy?

I'm asking because someone here said I'm lost because I think Doc is a great coach.

I don't want any other coach than Doc. Players seem to really respect him. I'll take Doc anyday.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

I'm asking because someone here said I'm lost because I think Doc is a great coach.

Believe what they tell you.

You are not only lost... you are irrelevant too.

Pud

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Doc is the only coach for this unit. KG and PP will only play folr Doc in Boston. Doc can motavate those 2 like no other.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Doc (and the HFOs were on board I think) was trying to groom Rondo for a much greater leadership role including taking late game close out shots. Rondo missed some of them early on; then got consumed in a selfish pursuit of the assist record (notice KG says those records don't motivate him at all). So was Doc wrong or right to try to get Rondo to the next level as a player and as a leader? Isn't that a coaches job? The players job is to stretch himself; maintain and build on successes, and get up off the floor when he fails and make adjustments and try again. Rondo in my view was about 50/50 this year; let's see what next year brings. What is your view Fierce and others?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Absurd.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

I'm irrelevant? You responded to this thread. Maybe I'm not as irrelevant as you think.

Ouch!!!

You flushed me out.

Smited by The Pink Ax... again.

Pud

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikekane3334. Show Mikekane3334's posts

If Van Gundy replaced Doc I would resign my life long love of the Celtics.  There isn't another coach in the league that I despise more than him!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Now that Rondo is out the picture for the year I think Doc can finally coach the team the way it's supposed to be coached. Rondo was running everything and it probably rubbed some guys the wrong way. Rondo was handed too much too soon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

I don't think it is Rondo haters(as you love to put it), but more frustrations and realists. We all can see Rondo has the talent. But he lacks consistency and maturity. And he has had plenty of time to work on both. This current team is playing better because they are playing as a team and Everyone is engaged(not just 3). And yes, Doc is partially to blame for letting Rondo be Rondo 24/7. Doc is also to blame for his lack of bench use. These guys are not playing better because Rondo is hurt, these guys are playing well because they are getting a chance to actually play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Doc is one of the best coaches in the league.....maybe only behind Pop.  I would support any coach we had ( I supported Pitino, Carr and Rodgers), but to get rid of Doc now would be ridiculous.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

#### no. van gundy sucks. he sucked with the knicks. why would we want him in boston??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

Now that Rondo is out the picture for the year I think Doc can finally coach the team the way it's supposed to be coached. Rondo was running everything and it probably rubbed some guys the wrong way. Rondo was handed too much too soon.

Are you saying Doc wasnt coaching the team the way he wanted because ROndo was here?? I thought Doc was the coach????

Bottom line is theres nobody to blame but Doc Rivers... he chose the wrong player and direction but hey... hes the greatest coach right?? lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to antiqueman1's comment:

I don't think it is Rondo haters(as you love to put it), but more frustrations and realists. We all can see Rondo has the talent. But he lacks consistency and maturity. And he has had plenty of time to work on both. This current team is playing better because they are playing as a team and Everyone is engaged(not just 3). And yes, Doc is partially to blame for letting Rondo be Rondo 24/7. Doc is also to blame for his lack of bench use. These guys are not playing better because Rondo is hurt, these guys are playing well because they are getting a chance to actually play.

partially? Who else would be to blame for allowing Rondo to run the show for years the way he has?

Rest of your post is right on imo.. especially your last sentence

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to futbal's comment:

Doc (and the HFOs were on board I think) was trying to groom Rondo for a much greater leadership role including taking late game close out shots. Rondo missed some of them early on; then got consumed in a selfish pursuit of the assist record (notice KG says those records don't motivate him at all). So was Doc wrong or right to try to get Rondo to the next level as a player and as a leader? Isn't that a coaches job? The players job is to stretch himself; maintain and build on successes, and get up off the floor when he fails and make adjustments and try again. Rondo in my view was about 50/50 this year; let's see what next year brings. What is your view Fierce and others?

My view is give Doc until 2015.

Trading Rondo this season would've been foolish.

The Celts can still build around Rondo. But I'm not saying Rondo is untouchable. Let's see what direction the Celts take after the season is over.

If we could trade Rondo right now for either Pau Gasol, or Howard,  we would be an elite team, capable of winning not one but two championships, back to back.  I'm starting to believe KG and Pierce have enough left to get it done, with either one of these guys on the team.   Bass, Rondo, and a #1 for Howard, or Gasol, and we're on our way!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Look at Fierce manufacture statements.. lol  

Ill tell you one thing, I highly doubt the Celtics would have been playing Rondo-ball if JVG or most any other competent coach was calling the shots. 

Doc failed miserably in allowing Rondo to dominate the team no matter how bad they played. He also failed miserably in not developing and using his bench.. letting them play their game, not Rondos..

Now that the superstar is out, how else do you explain what you're seeing? Oh right, they playing for Rondo or they're all pulling together now... If so, whats that say about Docs inability to motivate them before Rondo went down?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

About Doc ...

Anyone who wants to out Doc is trolling for a resposne.

BUT, I think that it is clear that a lot of the responsibility for how our team is playing is squarely on Doc's shoulders. Rondo is a superstar, is it really on Rondo that we went 0-6 with him and now 6-0 without? I think that Doc hadn't got to the point yet with this team where he found a winning strategy with his personnel. Its clear that without Rondo, we are less talented, BUT our game becomes simpler and easier. Doc enabled that transition. Doc will have to spend a lot of time reflecting this summer on how to enable the team as a whole to find consistent success.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from srinivasa. Show srinivasa's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

About Doc ...

Anyone who wants to out Doc is trolling for a resposne.

BUT, I think that it is clear that a lot of the responsibility for how our team is playing is squarely on Doc's shoulders. Rondo is a superstar, is it really on Rondo that we went 0-6 with him and now 6-0 without? I think that Doc hadn't got to the point yet with this team where he found a winning strategy with his personnel. Its clear that without Rondo, we are less talented, BUT our game becomes simpler and easier. Doc enabled that transition. Doc will have to spend a lot of time reflecting this summer on how to enable the team as a whole to find consistent success.

James, Durant, Bryant,... those are superstars, Rondo not so much. He isn't even the MVP of the Celtics. He won't morph into one while rehabbing from an ACL injury. He's 27, he is what he is, not a player you build around. Deep down Danny and Doc know it but they had little choice to make him our leader because nobody took the bite when DA tried to trade him. By the way, why would that be?

Best option would be trading him before he's up for a new deal (wich would be a near max contract) and try to get reasonable value in return.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

If we could trade Rondo right now for either Pau Gasol, or Howard,  we would be an elite team, capable of winning not one but two championships, back to back.  I'm starting to believe KG and Pierce have enough left to get it done, with either one of these guys on the team.   Bass, Rondo, and a #1 for Howard, or Gasol, and we're on our way!!

Gasol is hurt and will never be healthy enough to help win any championships   .Howard has never said Boston was an option for him and he's damaged goods and a head case who has never led any team to the championship.  Both are losers and we'll never see either in Boston  . Besides with Rondo hurt; Bass and a first round pick will not get a quality big man. You need to get realistic. 

Gasol, Howard and Rondo are all hurt, that's why it may work. Gasol and Howard will be back in time for the playoffs, Howard will not be a Laker next year, they may want to move him or Gasol, Kobe loves Rondo, stranger things have happened!!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias's comment:

Definitely agree with you.  The Celtics have been winning more games without Rondo.  I really like Rondo but the ball movement has been better without him.  Not sure if the Celtics recent success will continue for the entire season. 

Sections
Shortcuts