Rondo's Jump Shot

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Re: Rondo's Jump Shot

In Response to Re: Rondo's Jump Shot:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo's Jump Shot : Unlike the NFL the NBA does not allow teams to restructure the player's contract. In the NBA you can give the player a raise but you can't ask the player to restructure the contract so that it will be more cap friendly.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]
    Darn! Anyway, there should still be enough money left to sign two good players. RA and KG should sign for at most 20% of what they are making now. Lets see if their blood runs green (pun intended).

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Well it seems that Rondo's "starting to look for his jumper, a good sign" and he's "shooting it with more confidence" now even if his FG% doesn't reflect it... in year 6.

The sad reality is that the Big Three are declining far faster than Rondo's offensive game  is improving, and that has been the case for a good while now.

Rondo's kindergarten jumper/FTs is now maybe at a third grade level... at the beginning of year 6.

We'll know when Rondo's jumper ACTUALLY begins to show up on the NBA RADAR because his defenders will ACTUALLY have to take notice and put a hand in his face... something I've never seen... except when the clock was expiring and Rondo is force to heave a trey (and got it blocked).

Until then ... wishful thinking and fantasy abound.

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I question if the Big 3 should all return as I don't think Doc would be able to coach these guys as backup and trust those players playing in front of them.  Doc has been so loyal to these guys even at the risk of not developing other players who should have been playing more.  The Big 3 has been Doc's, the fans and the Celtics security blanket for the past 5 years.  No matter who Doc played around these guys, we were more likely to be successful having them.  They could most often overcome any adversity.

Maybe it's time to move this team in another direction.  I just don't see the business logic in spending upwards of $25M on 3 guys well beyond their prime next season who will be most effective in very, very limited roles.

I also don't see the logic from the team chemistry standpoint of having 3 HOF bench veterans on the team directing and mentoring players with much more significant roles then them.  That could cause problems too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

If he is scoring that is the bottom line.  Slam dunks, lay ups, or jumpers.  Anything beyong 2 or 3 feet is a jumper.  Who is floating one in from the foul line?  His shot has improved.  The only thing he needs to do is recognize sooner when Ray can't get open is to go to the basket or take the shot.  

All you guys sitting back on your couch criticizing him couldn't do any better if you were thrown on the court under the lights on national TV.  You guys would look like Avery Bradley, a deer caught in the headlights!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

82games has the following Rondo stat so far for this season:
              Att     eFG% Ast'd Blk'd  Pts
    Jump
      51%  .387   21%  8%    4.6
    Close 49%  .686   40%  12%  7.8

eFG% is adjusted for 3 point shooting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo's Jump Shot : Ok, I see how you came to your conclusions.  You should check out the ESPN shot chart because it shows the distance of that jump shot.  There are some entries that show 5 foot jumper.  I'm not counting those although the "play-by-play" may count that as a jumper.  The shot chart does include 3-point shots because to evaluate Rondo's jumper, you have to include those too.  But I see your premise which is valid. I definitely don't count the FG% simply because he gets alot of layups.  It will be interesting to see what the Celtics do with Rondo.  He's at that point where there should be some marked improvements in obvious facets of his game and they just aren't there in his shooting.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]
    Petey

No one complains about Rose's and Westbrooks jump shots and yet their field goal shooting percentages from 10 feet and out are lower than Rondo's this year. Below numbers were taken from Hoopdata.

Rondo-38.6%,,,,,Westbrook-31.0%,,,,,Rose-33.7%.

Big difference is in the number of shots taken per game.-----Rondo-4.4,,,,,Westbrook-8.4,,,,,Rose-8.9.

Maybe its time for Rondo to shoot more frequently.Who knows! Maybe he can add a little more offensive variety to the offense.
        Seems

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Fierce, let's not forget the occasions when a wide open jump shot shows and Rondo either freezes or passes or drives or takes a floater because he is petrified to take that shot.  The offense would be like a machine IF he had that shot.  I have defended Rondo as much as anyone but I'm all done.  I can't believe an NBA quality athelete with otherwise outstanding court presence and awareness cannot master a jump shot and a free throw.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

Same old story. His shooting is not what makes him valuable. He has some of the best court vision. He runs an offense better than anyone except for maybe Steve Nash. He is an excellent rebounder. He comes up with a lot of steals. I am positive the Thunder would take Rondo for Westbrook straight up. Rondo would make everyone on that team better. Rondo isn't a big time scorer. This team could use one at the moment. I understand that frustration, but harping on one attribute is insane. I am sure that the Magic would take JO for dwight because JO is a better FT shooter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

existentialparquet, you may very well be correct in your assessment.  For me, I know he's not the best outside or free throw shooter but for THIS CELTICS TEAM to be successful, Rondo's value is in more point production along with his other assets.  Unlike in years past, this is a scoring-challenged team.  If Rondo shot the ball more (and better which I believe comes with shooting more), I believe he would produce more points.

Rondo's passing ability and court vision are less effective now that the Celtics have fewer capable scorers and those scorers are not performing at their usual scoring levels.

If Ray, PP and KG were scoring at their normal (or near their normal) averages, Rondo's inability to score the basketball would be less of an issue.

If Rondo played on Miami, he would not need to score and he would undoubtedly be the best PG in the game dishing out assists to Lebron, Bosh and Wade.  He'd break the assists per game season record.  But with this team, Rondo has to carry more of the scoring burden and one way to do that is to improve that jump shot and free throw.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo's Jump Shot : Petey  No one complains about Rose's and Westbrooks jump shots and yet their field goal shooting percentages from 10 feet and out are lower than Rondo's this year. Below numbers were taken from Hoopdata.   Rondo-38.6%,,,,,Westbrook-31.0%,,,,,Rose-33.7%.   Big difference is in the number of shots taken per game.-----Rondo-4.4,,,,,Westbrook-8.4,,,,,Rose-8.9.    Maybe its time for Rondo to shoot more frequently.Who knows! Maybe he can add a little more offensive variety to the offense.     Seems
    Posted by SeemsToMe[/QUOTE]

i was patiently waiting for someone to come to this realization. Fierce tried to fool people that dont look at these kinda stats all the time. 38% jump shooting looks bad to someone that doesnt study the game of basketball. but wen looking closer into it you find that its not that bad at all. would you say that Rose and Westbrook cant shoot?

now i HAVE been calling for Rondo to shoot MORE in games, and if he did that he would absolutely help the Celtics bc he CAN hit the jumpshot. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo's Jump Shot : Those are only 2-point FGs, Pete. Jamez was giving me a hard time about Rondo's FG%. He said Rondo has improved in the jump shooting department because Rondo's FG% has improved. That's not accurate. Rondo's FG% is close to 50% because Rondo makes a lot of lay-ups. 

i also never said this. i said his fg% on JUMPSHOTS was improved. bc i check statistics and know wats decent, good, and great for percentages. he is def not great. but he is def not bad either, the jumpshot he takes is consistent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Rondo's Jump Shot:
    [QUOTE]I've been accused of being a Rondo hater. So once and for all let's break down Rondo's jump shots since the first game of the season. Game 1: Boston at NY http://www.nba.com/games/20111225/BOSNYK/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore Rondo attempted 8 jump shots and made 3 against the Knicks. Game 2: at Miami http://www.nba.com/games/20111227/BOSMIA/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore Rondo attempted 2 jump shots and made none. Game 3: at New Orleans http://www.nba.com/games/20111228/BOSNOH/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore Rondo went 1 for 3. Game 4: Detroit http://www.nba.com/games/20111230/DETBOS/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore Rondo went 2 for 4. Game 5: at Washington http://www.nba.com/games/20120101/BOSWAS/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore Rondo went 1 for 3. Game 6: Washington http://www.nba.com/games/20120102/WASBOS/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore Rondo went 1 for 5. Game 7: New Jersey http://www.nba.com/games/20120104/NJNBOS/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore Rondo went 1 for 5. Game 8: Indiana http://www.nba.com/games/20120106/INDBOS/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore Rondo went 1 for 4. Game 9: Dallas http://www.nba.com/games/20120111/DALBOS/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore Rondo went 1 for 6. Game 10: Chicago http://www.nba.com/games/20120113/CHIBOS/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore Rondo went 3 for 4. Game 11: at Indiana http://www.nba.com/games/20120114/BOSIND/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore Rondo went 0 for 3. Game 12: OKC http://www.nba.com/games/20120116/OKCBOS/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore Rondo went 1 for 4.

You don't need any statistics or anything else,  you only need to add 3 words to your thread and that would suffice.....

Your thread's title....

Rondo's Jump Shot....... 

add the following 3 words and then there is no need to add anything, continue posting, etc......

Rondo's Jump Shot.........     IS NEVER CONTESTED......

Year 6 nobody guards him.... enough said.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Rondo if he was smart would demand a trade to OKC. He could be with his friend and find himself passing to speedy teammates and win a championship.  He can't shoot and with the declining big three he will be miserable with all the losses that will pile up this year and the next few.

Oh I forgot OKC already rejected the trade weeks ago.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4420007. Show user_4420007's posts

One thing to say about Rondo's jumper......

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo's Jump Shot : I think it's too late to move Rondo.  Only Ray has high value and JO might land us a pick if there's a team really desperate for a big man. Other than Ray and JO we have no other tradable assets. 

It appears team are asking about PP.  I guess that makes him tradeable asset.  I can assure you teams would take KG on their team.  Not as a main man but a team like even OKC wouldn't mind having him. Not saying they would give a lot for him but if they thought he could get them over the hump with one more big man then yes he is tradeable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]existentialparquet, you may very well be correct in your assessment.  For me, I know he's not the best outside or free throw shooter but for THIS CELTICS TEAM to be successful, Rondo's value is in more point production along with his other assets.  Unlike in years past, this is a scoring-challenged team.  If Rondo shot the ball more (and better which I believe comes with shooting more), I believe he would produce more points. Rondo's passing ability and court vision are less effective now that the Celtics have fewer capable scorers and those scorers are not performing at their usual scoring levels. If Ray, PP and KG were scoring at their normal (or near their normal) averages, Rondo's inability to score the basketball would be less of an issue. If Rondo played on Miami, he would not need to score and he would undoubtedly be the best PG in the game dishing out assists to Lebron, Bosh and Wade.  He'd break the assists per game season record.  But with this team, Rondo has to carry more of the scoring burden and one way to do that is to improve that jump shot and free throw.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

nice assessment Petey

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo's Jump Shot : It appears team are asking about PP.  I guess that makes him tradeable asset.  I can assure you teams would take KG on their team.  Not as a main man but a team like even OKC wouldn't mind having him. Not saying they would give a lot for him but if they thought he could get them over the hump with one more big man then yes he is tradeable.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

As I understand it, they have to give back a player(s)/contract(s) that matches up with KG's 25+/- mill contract... if they want him.

Thats a whole lot to have to give in return for KG but salaries have to match.

Pud

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo's Jump Shot : Can you post the link for those stats?

82games.com

And for Rondo:

http://www.82games.com/1112/11BOS1.HTM

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

RE: Rondo's jump shot.
    I always wonder how much time in the offseason he spends on mid perimeter jumpers and freethrows.