Rondo's jumper and the C's chances 2010-2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Rondo's jumper and the C's chances 2010-2011

While most of us have been discussing how the C's big (pun not intended) frontcourt upgrade this season should remedy last years rebounding deficit and increase their chances for #18, there is another part of the C's game that cost them in last years finals. " Rondo shot 37% from outside of 10 feet for the series..." 
     http://celticshub.com/2010/10/22/preseason-recap-examining-rondos-jump-shot/

I myself think his jumper gets better at some point because I've noticed he tends to make good percentage of buzzer beater 3's (don't have stats to back me up).  I think his problem is more mental than mechanics. Left wide open with all the time in the world, he thinks too much before he takes those shots.

Questions I'm throwing out for comment.

Who thinks Rondo's midrange J will be a plus and not a minus this year?
    Will Rondo's midrange J substantially improve anytime during his career?
    If so, when?
    Does Rondo's "I know best" attitude get in the way of him improving this aspect of his game?

3 days and counting, yeah?  Can't wait.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Re: Rondo's jumper and the C's chances 2010-2011

Only time will tell. But I'm not worried, if Rondo is not effective Doc will not hesitate to replace Rondo with Delonte. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo's jumper and the C's chances 2010-2011:
    Only time will tell. But I'm not worried, if Rondo is not effective Doc will not hesitate to replace Rondo with Delonte. 
    Posted by P34

Which is why I am optimistic about this season. DWest will not hesitate to take (and make) a big shot.

A win-win situation for all concerned.

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Don't you all think that would force Rondo to work on his jumper?  I agree, a huge win-win for all!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

In my opinion, this is his LAST year to show he can improve his jumper and free throws.

This is his 5th year if I'm not mistaken. If he's still clanking jumpers with bad shooting mechanics, and missing FT's like last season, he will NEVER get better.

I guess Rondo is what he is, a poor shooting PG with good penetrating, passing, and rebounding skills.

I doubt he will EVER become a decent shooter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Rondo's shooting mechanics aren't good but some players with poor shooting mechanics are good shooters. Examples include Reggie Miller, Keith Wilkes, Walt Frazier. It's unlikely rondo will ever shoot like any of these guys, but if he shoots in the low 40% range from 15 feet and beyond that will keep the defense honest, being they won't sag. Shooting in the los 40% range for Rondo is quit possible, especially considering his good work habits. Rondo should and I think he does concentrate on working on the mid range jumper. Being fairly consistent from 15 to 18 feet will keep the defense honest.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

No way to tell about Rondos shooting so early on. Hey, he shot 12-15 from the line the other day but we've seen this before. Had some great FT shooting early in the playoffs then melted down back to awful.

Need to see 20-30 games to see if hes got it or not. My guess would be probably not. In his 5th year, if his FT's havent improved by now its probably a long shot they get much better. Some guys (mostly bigs) just never get it.. Russ, Wilt, Shaq.. they all sukked from the line and really never got much better consistently. Rondo just may be in that category.. lets hope not

Like they say, the fleas come with the dog.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

No need to wrry about Rondo's jumper. If he's not hitting Doc will go to Nate. Nate has a full training camp under his belt and will make teams pay if they slough off.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In my opinion, this is his LAST year to show he can improve his jumper and free throws. This is his 5th year if I'm not mistaken. If he's still clanking jumpers with bad shooting mechanics, and missing FT's like last season, he will NEVER get better. I guess Rondo is what he is, a poor shooting PG with good penetrating, passing, and rebounding skills. I doubt he will EVER become a decent shooter.
    Posted by Waynestarr

You are exactly right Wayne.  He will never be a great shooter,  hopefully he can be average.  I think 75% would be great FT% for him.  I am not sure he ca do it though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

. Need to see 20-30 games to see if hes got it or not. My guess would be probably not. Posted by Karllost

My guess is that it will take more than 30 games to know if Rondo's FT shooting will show a sustained improvement. Probably  a full season.

Last years numbers were crazy:

30% FT shooting after 10 games (but with few attempts), 41% after 20 games, and 55% after 30 games.

Generally he got better as the season progressed, shooting roughly 60% in December, January and February with many more attempts,  peaking at 71% for the month of March, then tailing off... and 62% for the 82 game season.

I am anticipating that he will start off slow once again in 2010-11.

We may be well into the second half of the season  before any signs of sustained improvement (or decline) can be divined.

However if I were a betting man...... sigh!!!!

Pud

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

in spite of rondo's career-long shooting woes, he has improved his overall game every year. that's what i expect to see again this season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

Rondo is a pro . . . he's ambitious to be the best . . . he's willing to learn . . . he will become a competent FT shooter this year (65-75%) and his mid-range jumper will be in the low 40's.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

here's a nice read for rondo fans....

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/10/the-continued-evolution-of-rajon-rondo/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

I hope Rondo just fires away at times because he wont get the feel of it till he starts just firing away. He takes those last second shots and heaves em up with no worry.

Do the same thing playing in the middle of the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micksoxx. Show Micksoxx's posts

Whistling in the dark. Rondo's jumper is what it is, and what it is is not good.  We heard all the "he worked all off season with Mark Price" stuff last year to no avail.  Don"t hold your breath.  When has someone who shoots as poorly as him in their early career ever become a good shooter? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Whistling in the dark. Rondo's jumper is what it is, and what it is is not good.  We heard all the "he worked all off season with Mark Price" stuff last year to no avail.  Don"t hold your breath.  When has someone who shoots as poorly as him in their early career ever become a good shooter? 
    Posted by Micksoxx

Wasn't Jason Kidd's jumper god awful early in his career? I don't think Rondo is going to become Ray Allen anytime soon, but if he can just keep improving. Every little bit helps.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo's jumper and the C's chances 2010-2011 : Wasn't Jason Kidd's jumper god awful early in his career? I don't think Rondo is going to become Ray Allen anytime soon, but if he can just keep improving. Every little bit helps.
    Posted by jtkl

JKIdd was an awful jump shooter early on in his career... but he was never a reluctant jump shooter. Just awful.

He improved by taking the shots offered him  in game situations.

Big difference from a player who consistently turns down what the defense is giving him.

They never learn.

Pud 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Rondo's jumper already has improved.  The proof will be in the season that starts tomorrow Pud.  I think you will be pleasantly  surprised.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Rondo's jumper already has improved.  The proof will be in the season that starts tomorrow Pud.  I think you will be pleasantly  surprised.
    Posted by concord27

After a disappointing 2nd half of 2009-10 and then losing to the Lakers, I am very ready for the season to start and be surprised/pleased/tickled by Rondo's maturation.

We are stacked at the PG position for sure... and that should take some pressure off of RR.

Maybe he can just relax and let the game come to him. At that point, Rondo will be lights out... and the C's unbeatable!

Pud

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

I hear they are finally starting to realize that Rondo can dominate most point guards in a post up (isolation) situation and are going to that. Takes a lot of pressure of his jump shot since he is either popping a 10 footer or making a move to the hoop.I recommended this two years ago on this board because it plays to his strenght now, rather than asking him to improve his weakness (jump shooting) now. And, if they double, thier in trouble!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo's jumper and the C's chances 2010-2011 : After a disappointing 2nd half of 2009-10 and then losing to the Lakers, I am very ready for the season to start and be surprised/pleased/tickled by Rondo's maturation. We are stacked at the PG position for sure... and that should take some pressure off of RR. Maybe he can just relax and let the game come to him. At that point, Rondo will be lights out... and the C's unbeatable! Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Well... still waiting to be surprised/pleased/tickled by Rondo's maturation.

I'm not holding my breath though.  More of the same old same old. 37% from the FT line and 43% from the field. Double UGH! UGH!

Put your gear on, Delonte.

Its going to be up to you if Rondo can't man up to his PG responsibilities.

Pud

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Posted by P34

wow.  i would think nate would be the better PG of the two?  pure PG skills?

if we spell rondo w/ delonte then how does ray get rest?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

If Delonte can hold it together, he could spell BOTH Ray and Rondo.  Robinson can be a high energy, opportunistic player but I'm not wild about him at the point for extended minutes.  He tends to pound the ball too much and overdribbles.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

If Delonte can hold it together, he could spell BOTH Ray and Rondo.  Robinson can be a high energy, opportunistic player but I'm not wild about him at the point for extended minutes.  He tends to pound the ball too much and overdribbles.
    Posted by pliu

Agree 100%. Nate makes me nervous as a PG (except in spots) with too much dribbling. Maybe with PT he will get comfortable advancing the ball while keeping his head up looking for scorers.

Pud

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Delonte West's signing excited far more than signing Shaq or JO.  West is a hybrid who can be a versatile sub.

I just hope his personal problems don't derail his skills.

Sections
Shortcuts