Rondo's Selfishness Really Makes Me Mad

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayallen1. Show rayallen1's posts

Rondo's Selfishness Really Makes Me Mad

Rondo really makes me mad, and that's an understatement.  This dude is either really selfish, or he just makes dumb plays at times, and I hope it's just dumb plays, but I know bettter, because it's a trend that I have noticed developing with Rondo.

The trend is this: during games, Rondo goes for assists to build up his stats and turns down seemingly good shots.  But then, at the end of games, when he should pass the ball, he decides he wants to be the hero and takes the shot instead.

Examples: during tonights game, Rondo dribbles the clock away like he always does looking for assists and when Rondo is ahead of everyone with a wide open path to the basket, he turns it down.  But later, game on the line, when he should look for Pierce or Allen he decides to say, "Hey let me get the glory"  and shoots a floater that he hasn't attempt for god knows how many games with plenty of shot cloak left and CLANK misses.

The best thing that happen tonight was Doc having the testicular fortitude to take him out for the final play.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Re: Rondo's Selfishness Really Makes Me Mad

When he stands around dribbling, he's waiting for others to move around and get free.  When no one's doing that the whole team's at fault (it goes back to the late Walker/Pierce years when the Celts had the world's ugliest halfcourt offense).

Does it make you mad when no one else can hit an 18 ft. jump shot?  Or a layup?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayallen1. Show rayallen1's posts

Missing shots is not what I am talking about, everyone misses shots, it happens and there's no control over that.  But players do have control over playing smart, or dumb. 

Smart way: when you have a chance at a wide open layup, take it. 

Rondo/Dumb way: When you have a chance at a wide open layup, you pass it back out instead to set up the offense.

Smart way: When the games on the line, setup the offense and go to your 1, 2, 3 etc...options, unless you have a great shot.

Rondo/Dumb way: When the games on the line, take a hard shot because I want to be the hero and not pass to guys that have proven themselves over and over again.

Smart way: If no one is getting open, be aggressive and attack to draw a double team.

Rondo/Dumb way: If no one is open, let me continue to dribble the ball until there is no time left, then I can heave up a desperation shot because that way, I have the best chance at getting an assist.

Smart way: Pass to the guy that is hot. 

Rondo/Dumb way: When the games on the line, take the shot, even though I suck and can't shoot, because I want to be the hero, so I won't pass to  my teammate that has over 50pts in the game and has hit every clutch shot thus far against the Bulls...Y'all know what i am talking about.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

So the NBA's leading assist man is selfish? Next you'll be telling me Kevin Love doesn't work hard enough under the glass.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayallen1. Show rayallen1's posts

Yes, because he is putting his assist stats ahead of trying to win.  How do you explain why he is passing up wide open layups and passing it out again?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Hoo boy ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayallen1. Show rayallen1's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo's Selfishness Really Makes Me Mad:
    Hoo boy ...
    Posted by LloydDobler

I am sorry, but I do not understand this answer.  How does "Hoo Boy" explain why a NBA basketball player that has a clear path to the basket for a layup, decides instead, to pass the ball back out so the opposing team can set up their defense?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Well if he didn't have alot of assists (he can thank the big three) then what would he rely on...his free throw % ?  his respected outside shooting ? his league leading turnover rate ?  his horrible decision making with time running out ? or perhaps his consistency and leadership... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

You're right, it doesn't. I was just at a loss for words for a bit.

I don't recall the play(s) to which you're referring, but I'm pretty sure if he passed it out, trying to pad his assist total wasn't his motivation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayallen1. Show rayallen1's posts

You're right, it doesn't. I was just at a loss for words for a bit. I don't recall the play(s) to which you're referring, but I'm pretty sure if he passed it out, trying to pad his assist total wasn't his motivation.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Atleast that's an explaination I can live with.  Like I explain in my original OP, it could just be a dumb play, which every player makes once in  awhile.  The only issue I have is, I am suspecting it's more then simply a dumb play, because it occurring throughout this season.

I wish I was wrong, but I suspect I am not.  Here's my reasoning: Previous years, I have never seen Rondo pass up layups, but all of a sudden, ever since he started leading the league in asssists, he starts passing up layups.  

I mean if it walks....and talks...like a duck...it's probably is a duck.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

Didn't see the game and only looked at the box score.  Rondo took the most shots on the team and also had the most misses.  Is that a trend from recent losses to inferior teams?

PA

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

or in Rondo's case, as the Dakota Indian saying goes..."when you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

As Larry Bird used to say... a player needs to do what the team needs from him in order to win. Otherwise things won't work out. That's what made the 80's Celtics so special: they knew their roles and didn't care about numbers like Rondo does and that's why they managed to win 3 championships with so many injured members.

This Celtic team, and danny and doc especially, need to evaluate this and freaking work a way out of this mess. I mean, it's just unbelievable to see how they are allowing this kid to sink the whole team when we could have delonte or any other player during crunch time setting up some plays and actually getting points!

It just blows my mind.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I am wondering if something is wrong internally with the Celtics.  Rondo's odd play,  poor spacing on the floor offensively throughout tonight's game,  and the incredible lack of punch from certain players.  Garnett is shooting outside,  PP is not getting the ball enough and in the right spots, Ray is not shooting well, and Murphy seems unable to contribute.  

If the offense can't get going why is Jeff Green playing so little. He could have had twenty five points tonight.  Yet in he only plays in spots. Something is up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

typical panic.

You guys are making way too much out of these late losses. Il give u the simple answer, this team (the Big 4) is exhausted from overcompensating for a number of injuries all year. Its the dog days of march and this is normal for a great team to go through.

What your seeing from Rondo is tired legs and him trying to play at a slower speed so he will be fresh in the playoffs.

I didn't hear any of this stat padding talk during his serious agains tthe cavs last year when he made specular passes all night. 

Now for tonights game, the fault goes on Rondo. Not for shooting too much or making a bad play, but for not recognizing that Pierce was on fire at the end and should have been allowed to go ISO/Hero mode against a bad team. Rondo did not do his job. He did not call the right shots. Its rare he does that, but tonight he messed up and he knows it. I could see it on his face after he missed the floater.

The blame also falls on Ray for missing key jumpers. Davis for not boxing out. The starters overall for taking 4 straight jump shots and missing all of them in the final 2 minutes instead of going to the basket against a bad team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

I'll tell you what's up.  Doc refuses to acknowledge that Rondo is hurting the team.  Doc is a great leader but deeply flawed because of his unwillingness to bench Rondo.  In 2008 Rondo was still very unproven so Doc was willing to bench him then - Remember the big Game 4 comeback, when E House played the crucial minutes.
    I can gurantee you that Banner 18 will not arrive this year if Doc is unwilling to bench Rondo, especially when he is not playing well, which these days is most days. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

well we would have been up at the end, but they didnt count the goal tending........ i don't know why rondo did that floater either. after it happened. i was like why he do that? there ws plenty of time left. then glen davis shooting the 3? i was like, they need to practice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3+pointer. Show 3+pointer's posts

i dont no y rondo keep shooting last seconds when the game is on the line, ray allen was wide open for three, at the end of many games the other team loves rondo to take those wide open jumpers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

typical panic. You guys are making way too much out of these late losses. Il give u the simple answer, this team (the Big 4) is exhausted from overcompensating for a number of injuries all year. Its the dog days of march and this is normal for a great team to go through. What your seeing from Rondo is tired legs and him trying to play at a slower speed so he will be fresh in the playoffs. I didn't hear any of this stat padding talk during his serious agains tthe cavs last year when he made specular passes all night.  Now for tonights game, the fault goes on Rondo. Not for shooting too much or making a bad play, but for not recognizing that Pierce was on fire at the end and should have been allowed to go ISO/Hero mode against a bad team. Rondo did not do his job. He did not call the right shots. Its rare he does that, but tonight he messed up and he knows it. I could see it on his face after he missed the floater. The blame also falls on Ray for missing key jumpers. Davis for not boxing out. The starters overall for taking 4 straight jump shots and missing all of them in the final 2 minutes instead of going to the basket against a bad team.
    Posted by btownteamsrking

You are about (the Big 4) being exhausted from overcompensating for a number of injuries all year. So why does Doc not start Green. He can play more minutes, is more athletic, and give Ray and Pierce more rest.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayallen1. Show rayallen1's posts

I am wondering if something is wrong internally with the Celtics...Posted by concord27

I would say so...something is wrong internally...in Rondo's HEAD!!...lol.   It's called ego, or better yet: pride, which is the greatest of all sins.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

wow...he's selfish now..WOW..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

How about KG gave up a clean dunk and passed the ball to ray for a three and missed...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayallen1. Show rayallen1's posts

How about KG gave up a clean dunk and passed the ball to ray for a three and missed...
    Posted by lovetruth007

While I agree that KG should sometimes shoot instead of passing it, I can understand him for doing that because that's his personality, he is trying to be unselfish...and that has been a consistent theme throughout his career, he believes those passes truly will help the team win.  Ray misses because everyone misses at times, but that's his shot...either it goes or not...I can live with that.

Rondo is passing up shot's cause he is trying to get his stats, then decides to take ill-advise shots at the end to be a hero.  This, I cannot understand and cannot tolerate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayallen1. Show rayallen1's posts

wow...he's selfish now..WOW..
    Posted by JamezHill24

Please read my post of why I think this and prove me wrong, I would love to be proven wrong, that Rondo is only making mistakes( which I can accept) and not trying to stroke his ego.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

I with the OP on this one. I have been saying this for a while now. When Rondo passes up a layup to throw it back out for a jump shot then he is hurting the team. It looks to me like he is trying to rack up assists and yes that is being selfish. That shot he took at the end was a horrible decision. Listening to Doc's post game interview and you could tell he was pissed. Doc also wondered why KG passed up an easy layup to throw it out to Allen for a 3. Then there is the standing around until the shot clock  goes down and a desperation shot is thrown up. Has anyone else noticed that Rondo just about gets the ball over half court before the 8 seconds a lot of time. Listen to Tommy Heinsohn about how Rondo is just standing there wasting time off the clock. Just saying it as I see it. 

Sections
Shortcuts