Rondo's Shot

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Rondo's Shot

I am about tired of hearing/reading about the NBA strike, lockout and legal stuff as are probably the rest of you, and would much rather talk about the Celtics and basketball.

This morning I was making my reading tour of various sports sections and noticed that the Herald had a stock picture of Rondo shooting a shot in a warm up setting.

With Rondo still not a complete player (shooting difficulties on jumpers and free throws) part of his problem may be with the mechanics of his shot technique.  From the picture, it certainly appears that he is shooting slightly off to the side.

I searched the internet for over an hour and found numberous pictrues of some of the great shooters in NBA history like Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, etc and none of the really great shooters shoot with their bodies turned on basic jumpers or free throws.  also, all of the shooting instruction videos stress completely facing the basket.

Perhaps Rondo can adjust his technique with his body angle and become a better shooter even though he has probably been shooting with his current technique for many years?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Rondo's Shot

In Response to Rondo's Shot:
    [QUOTE]I am about tired of hearing/reading about the NBA strike, lockout and legal stuff as are probably the rest of you, and would much rather talk about the Celtics and basketball. This morning I was making my reading tour of various sports sections and noticed that the Herald had a stock picture of Rondo shooting a shot in a warm up setting. With Rondo still not a complete player (shooting difficulties on jumpers and free throws) part of his problem may be with the mechanics of his shot technique.  From the picture, it certainly appears that he is shooting slightly off to the side. I searched the internet for over an hour and found numberous pictrues of some of the great shooters in NBA history like Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, etc and none of the really great shooters shoot with their bodies turned on basic jumpers or free throws.  also, all of the shooting instruction videos stress completely facing the basket. Perhaps Rondo can adjust his technique with his body angle and become a better shooter even though he has probably been shooting with his current technique for many years?
    Posted by charliedarling[/QUOTE]

Charlie: You've been posting at BDC for 5+ years. This topic has been brought up more than 1000 times w/o resolution.

Do you really expect that 1001 will be any different?

Maybe you can call the White HOuse and get the POTUS's opinion.  

Or go to Rondo's website looking for answers. Try: http://www.rajonrondo9.com/

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Pud,
    We always disagree about Rondo but you are 100% right on this point.  This topic has been covered to death.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

puddin,

i guess that i must apologize to you for not asking you in advance about what could be mentioned here.  i just was not aware of you being in charge.

you can be asssured that i will contact you first if i ever decided to post anything here again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Good comeback, Charlie.  Laughed out loud.

But, the Rondo topic is in fact, very old, my friend.  Everyone is hoping he'll change/improve but only time will tell.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Seriously Charlie, some people will never be good or average  shooters.

Guys like Ben Wallace etc have played basketball their entire lives, shoot the ball for hours each day, had the best professional trainers work with their mechanics..... employed the brightest psychological experts to train their minds  *repreat after me, im a great shooter*.... its just some players cant shoot in a game environment...plain & simple.

Rondo falls into that category imo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

he'll have a lot of time to practice his shot, har har.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo's Shot:
    [QUOTE]he'll have a lot of time to practice his shot, har har.....
    Posted by basketbert[/QUOTE]

You are right about that.  Even with the extended practice, he still won't improve much.  As has already been stated, he is just one player that won't improve much despite continued practice and training. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

here's my conclusion on rondo.

he's smart, he's cocky, he THINKS he doesn't really need to learn how to shoot to be "great". 

his shot mechanics are not as bad as his shot results, period.  it's not the best looking shot in the world and not the worst.  hell, even quinn buckner with that terrible looking twisted shot of his could hit a 17 foot jumper and free throws good enough to keep defenses from sagging like they do off of rondo.

the answer lies within his HEAD and the fact that the longer he goes on an incompetent shooter, the closer he comes to head case status.

in my opinion, at the close of year 5 as a pro, he is there, = head case.

with okay shot mechanics and bad results, especially after apparently being mentally crushed by president obabma's zinger, it's a head problem.  a not enough work at mastering the skill problem.

don't look for anything to change.  if we're lucky, he'll pull even and be the 64.1% FT shooter he was as a rookie, he's yet to do any better than that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I think he'll improve his jump shooting again thisyear as he did last year.  Doc and the players will encourage him and in the flow of the game, he'll hit a couple and continue to get more comfortable.  he'll never be a great shooter.....just "ok" (which is better than he is now).

But, when he has to shoot free throws, he's standing out in the open al along and not in the flow of the game.  That will scare the sheet out of him as he clanks ball after ball against the rim.   He'll never be a good free throw shooter because that part is as Acie says - in his head.

But, he'll overcome with the great steals, passes, and drives.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

for whatever reason he can't focus properly and score buckets, even the floater in the lane that he was developing in his second year didn't turn into the weapon it looked like it was going to.  it just seems like something creeps into his head at the last split second of release a lot of the time.  I remember him burying game clinching jumpers against Orlando in the conference finals two years ago and it's just so frustrating because he's capable of it and if he had a decent to good shot he'd be the best out there (i'm sure this has been covered over and over as well).

At the free throw line he's like Butch Casisdy, or is it Sundance Kid, who couldn't shoot the can standing still.  He's got a better chance at making a shot while running at the buzzer.  

I'm a Rondo guy though, for reasons as mentioned above as well as for the fact that he would rather beat Lebron then join him and this is why I could care less about landing Howard.  And speaking of, we all saw what Rondo could do with a center that could finish at the rim in the first half of last year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]puddin, i guess that i must apologize to you for not asking you in advance about what could be mentioned here.  i just was not aware of you being in charge. you can be asssured that i will contact you first if i ever decided to post anything here again.
    Posted by charliedarling[/QUOTE]

Don't let it happen again.

Pud

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Maybe they can give him a bigger ball when he's at the free throw line, one that still fits through the hoop.  would the league object to this?  Technically it's not an advantage.  If a guy can shoot free throws from a couple feet behind the line  or standing on one foot, why not a bigger ball? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]here's my conclusion on rondo. he's smart, he's cocky, he THINKS he doesn't really need to learn how to shoot to be "great".  his shot mechanics are not as bad as his shot results, period.  it's not the best looking shot in the world and not the worst.  hell, even quinn buckner with that terrible looking twisted shot of his could hit a 17 foot jumper and free throws good enough to keep defenses from sagging like they do off of rondo. the answer lies within his HEAD and the fact that the longer he goes on an incompetent shooter, the closer he comes to head case status. in my opinion, at the close of year 5 as a pro, he is there, = head case. with okay shot mechanics and bad results, especially after apparently being mentally crushed by president obabma's zinger, it's a head problem.  a not enough work at mastering the skill problem. don't look for anything to change.  if we're lucky, he'll pull even and be the 64.1% FT shooter he was as a rookie, he's yet to do any better than that.
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]
    Thank you ,Doctor Phil.I love it when people attempt to psychoanalyze people they don`t know.Let me give it a try .After many months of reading Acie`s posts, I conclude that he is a presuptuos blowhard  with delusions of grandeur.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo's Shot : Thank you ,Doctor Phil.I love it when people attempt to psychoanalyze people they don`t know.Let me give it a try .After many months of reading Acie`s posts, I conclude that he is a presuptuos blowhard  with delusions of grandeur.
    Posted by jrleftfoot[/QUOTE]

For those of us who have watched Rondo play for 5 years and some 500 games, I can confidently say that we know Rondo all too well. No mystery here anymore.

It doesn't take Dr. Phil (or a "blowhard with delusions of grandeur" for that matter) to figure out the problem.

Pud

Sections
Shortcuts