Rose " Perk was tough"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Rose " Perk was tough"

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/212923/Rose_With_Perkins_Gone_We_Know_We_Can_Beat_Celtics

“He was tough,” Rose said. “He was really tough to go around. They’re different.

“We know we can beat them,” Rose flatly said.

Via

Pretty much sums up wat most of us think, when we lost perk we lost our intimidator, he kept guys out of the paint and kept players from NOT wanting to attack cuz of his presence. 

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/212923/Rose_With_Perkins_Gone_We_Know_We_Can_Beat_Celtics#ixzz1Ixar9HVx

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Re: Rose " Perk was tough"

Wow.  But that was just classless of Rose to mouth off like that.  I know a lot of people will disagree.  But isn't beating us and sending that message enough?  That's why I like the older teams. These kids are so arrogant.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

We should have traded to get Scal back.  He knows how to set the tone in the paint, and im sure he helped the players learn the defense.  Perk had to go, but Scal should never have been shown the door.  He is most likely making it an easier transition for them.  I dont see why people think there is so much skill in hacking.  Answer me this....How many block shots do you recall Shaq having when he played regularly early in the year??  I cant remember many. Seems he was just throwing his body into everyone who entered the paint and stonewalling people.  Any big on our team can do this, but its a mentalilty. I cant see why people make this a big deal. If we cant find anyone on our team that is willing to sacrifice some fouls to protect the paint, then we dont deserve to go anywhere, IMO.  Yeah Perk was an enforcer, but it dont take skills.  D.Rodman anyone?  C'mon now with the Perk nonsense...you give my Scal back and Im fine.  He was a great hacker!  Real talk

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I'd say the same thing if I was able to waltz down the lane time and time again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

I wouldn't.  And as a point guard in my playing days, I actually did get a lot of points that way.  But back then (in the late 80s) we had an ethic of sportsmanship.  Saying things like that - at least publicly - was unthinkable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

You touch on something that I have noticed about championship teams (in basketball). Most Championship teams have an enforcer. A guy that does the dirty work, that makes people think twice about driving down the lane. A few years ago Boston had: Perkins, Powe, and Garnett. The Lakers had a young Shaq. The Bulls had Rodman. The Spurs had Bowen. The Pistons had: Rodman, Salley, Laimbeer, Mahorn, Edwards. That's something that worries me about this Celtic team. They are skilled but after trading Perkins, they lack that toughness. They are just too dang nice.. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

In Response to Re: Rose " Perk was tough":
    [QUOTE]You touch on something that I have noticed about championship teams (in basketball). Most Championship teams have an enforcer. A guy that does the dirty work, that makes people think twice about driving down the lane. A few years ago Boston had: Perkins, Powe, and Garnett. The Lakers had a young Shaq. The Bulls had Rodman. The Spurs had Bowen. The Pistons had: Rodman, Salley, Laimbeer, Mahorn, Edwards. That's something that worries me about this Celtic team. They are skilled but after trading Perkins, they lack that toughness. They are just too dang nice.. 
    Posted by guyfromtex[/QUOTE]

Dead on!  All we need is one.  I appreciate Ainge getting Green in here, but what would it have taked to get a Kurt Thomas type here.  Someone who you can afford to foul out, cuz they are not a star player and actually enjoy shutting people down.  Garnett tries to block everything but cant anymore, and god forbid if he actually hit someone hard. Meanwhile K.G., Ray and Rondo have all taken a beating all year.  Shaq was the guy, but we cant bank on him , and I dont think Troy or Kristic have that mean streak, honestly I think West is the only guy, but he is too small and fragile to make a difference. Im available. :)

I dont blame Aigne for trading Perk, but I do for not picking up any old guy to be a dirty work player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Perk wasn't tough early in the season either. But I remember our record was quite good.
    Perk was really tough in the paint last year when we finished 4th in the east and went 27-27 (or so) in the 2nd half of the season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

he might be right but no excuses for the C's, it shouldnt have been Perks job anyways. Rondo needs to start playing defense like he does when he guards Lebron. I am starting to dislike Rondos attitude. His comments after the game were an embarrassment. To say that they are not capable to turn it on because they are a different team is just a quitter's attitude....I have always said, I enjoy watching the C's when they play with passion even if they lose but when there is no passion then it is not even worth watching..I am hopeful that they will turn it on even if it is under Delonte at the point!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

I wouldn't make a big deal about that quote.

I mean damn, Derrick Rose is a competitor, what do want him to say: "We don't have a chance against the Celtics with or without Perk."??

Paul Pierce said he was the best player in the league a few times. It's just part of competition, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

[QUOTE]I wouldn't make a big deal about that quote. I mean damn, Derrick Rose is a competitor, what do want him to say: "We don't have a chance against the Celtics with or without Perk."?? Paul Pierce said he was the best player in the league a few times. It's just part of competition, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.
    Posted by Waynestarr[/QUOTE]

Hey Wayne, haven't seen you here in a while! How are thing's in Big H?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I agree but I think that person is KG. KG needs to stop passing up easy shots for an assist. He needs to get greedy and put up some 20+ pts and 11+ reb games. Put the team on his back.

He will pass up a shot even if the shot clock is running down. KG doesn't have that "i'm going to destroy you" mentality that Bid had.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]I wouldn't make a big deal about that quote. I mean damn, Derrick Rose is a competitor, what do want him to say: "We don't have a chance against the Celtics with or without Perk."?? Paul Pierce said he was the best player in the league a few times. It's just part of competition, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.
    Posted by Waynestarr[/QUOTE]

It's just one quote so I'm not going to make a big deal of it.  But if I were him, I'd say something like this:  "I think we match up better against them than we did before the Perk trade.  They've beaten a lot of other good teams so we still have to come to play like we did tonight..."

I didn't think it was cool either, by the way, when Paul Pierce said he was the best player in the league, and at one point said he was the best player in the world.  Remember that one? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsucks69. Show bostonsucks69's posts

Rose is telling it like it is. Celtics are soft as a marshmellow now in the middle without Perkins.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In case you all forgot we won the first two games against Chicago with Shaq not Perk.  Perk was just not as good as these guys are saying.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

We need to put the Charles Barkley rule in effect.

No layup withought a hard foul. When our subs are in they should be knocking people on thier collective arses. We have number at every position to give up fouls.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

[QUOTE]We need to put the Charles Barkley rule in effect. No layup withought a hard foul. When our subs are in they should be knocking people on thier collective arses. We have number at every position to give up fouls.
    Posted by genaro008[/QUOTE]

That's old school. That's the way it should be.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schleprechaun. Show Schleprechaun's posts

Carefull. If you say "old School" three times....

He will come.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rose " Perk was tough" : That's old school. That's the way it should be.
    Posted by guyfromtex[/QUOTE]
    Everyone jumped on Bynum a few weeks ago but that was the same play we made in the 80s.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Well, Rose didnt say anything thats so surprising. Saying he knows they can beat us...right after they BEAT US... is not deep thinking.

Perhaps is should have been asked how they lost the other 2 games to the C's this season.

Anyway, thats good stuff from Rose... good motivating stuff but not a revelation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Perk is not the problem against the Bulls. The players that we have, match up well with Noah and Boozer on offense and defense. Perk may be the issue if we make it to the finals but not against the Bulls

The problem was focus.

Team focus on defense. We did not play much. The Bulls shot 48%.
    Rondo had his head where the sun don't shine.

Offense. Rondo was only aggressive 20% of the time. He needs to drive and dish. In addition, while the bench was in, hero ball was prominent.

No matter how important the game seemed, it will have little to do with a seven game series against the Bulls.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Lithium There was nothing wrong with the quote. He was stating the obvious, not putting the Celts down. Nowhere near the kinds of things KG has said to opponents this year. Trash talk is part of the game. The 80s players that built this league (old school guys) did it all the time. This idea that the game was once pure and now it's corrupted or that the older guys are angels - it's way too simplistic. 

The real point of the post is that Rose is saying what many players around the league are saying: without Perk they are no longer intimidated by the Celts. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

I'm not saying any of what you're insinuating - at least not so simplistically.

First of all, I don't want to make a big deal of it, but to me it felt like Rose was turning the knife that was already in us. 

KG says things but to my knowledge it's in the games, player to player - not through the media.

I identify more with the "older" players because they generally have lived and played long enough to have some humility.  For all people say about KG, I saw that humility in him when we won it all in '08.  Same with Pierce and Allen because they'd played entire 10+ year careers with complete frustration when it came to trying to win a championship.  I just see a lot of these younger players - particularly with the Heat and the Bulls as lacking that level of humility because they just haven't been through enough.  For example, when we had that press conference with the Big 3 after trading for Garnett, the sentiment was that each one of them was finally happy to have such an opportunity after all these years.  The Heat "Big 3" had their press conference on prime time national TV, pretty much predicting their immediate and long-term dominance.  On the other hand I'm not saying all young stars are like that.  Jeff Green, for example, has been criticized for not taking his shot enough.  Of course, there are other exceptions to this.  I realize I make generalizations.  But they don't come out of nowhere.

And perhaps I should have clarified the comment about my playing days.  It wasn't just a different time, but also a whole other level.  High school girls were not presumed to have the same level of entitlement as a likely NBA MVP.  But I admit to digressing too much on that one.  My point is that I'm a former player, at Rose's position no less.  I do know something about what these guys have to go through as far as the conditioning and the physicality of every game.  I know how amazing these guys are for it.  And I cannot fathom saying something like what Rose did, benign as it is to nearly everyone else who heard it.

Anyway, if we can just get past this funk, we'll ALL be a lot happier.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

I think Rose is a very smart player.  It this is true he's just saying the obvious (which explains a lot of what we've been seeing on shots in the paint from other teams).  If it isn't, he's doing it to get into the Celtics' heads (Rondo, KG, etc) and trying to magnify a perceived weakness.
    Starting to look like the Finals leads through Chicago and not Boston

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]I think Rose is a very smart player.  It this is true he's just saying the obvious (which explains a lot of what we've been seeing on shots in the paint from other teams).  If it isn't, he's doing it to get into the Celtics' heads (Rondo, KG, etc) and trying to magnify a perceived weakness. Starting to look like the Finals leads through Chicago and not Boston
    Posted by breaktime[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. It was calculated. I think it was brilliant of him to say that.

Sections
Shortcuts