Rose needs to be knocked on his back!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Rose needs to be knocked on his back!

If Shaq had been in there Rose would have driven in and been knocked back hard on his butt.  Remember the second half of the opening night this year when Lebron started taking the ball to the basket and Shaq hit him once and he never came inside the rest of the game.

This is what the Celtics miss if Shaq plays does not play.  If Shaq can't do it BBD should. It is the way the game  is played.  Defining moments like that lead to a title.  Also hitting a few open shots helps to.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Re: Rose needs to be knocked on his back!

Shaq will be back.  Trust me, he will be back.  He wouldn't have been in such good spirits after the injury if he thought he might be done.  Remember, he wants to protect his legacy, especially with Kobe.  And I think he's genuinely bonded with this team and wants to be there with them.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

...and Shaq would be fouled out of the game. Watch out for those flagrant fouls too.

If it takes mauling another player just to stop him, we're in BIG TROUBLE.

Undecided

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Yeah OK.  But the first solution is that his man needs to play better D and stay in front of him occasionally so he isn't driving to the basket at will.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

In Response to Re: Rose needs to be knocked on his back!:
    [QUOTE]...and Shaq would be fouled out of the game. Watch out for those flagrant fouls too. If it takes mauling another player just to stop him, we're in BIG TROUBLE.
    Posted by Waynestarr[/QUOTE]

It's not JUST about fouling.  It's about being an intimidating presence.   Someone to knock his confidence because right now it's sky-high.  He's only a second year player.  He should not be able to be so cocky against a team of hall of famers.... but we allow him to be. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Waynestar,
    It is not a mauling is it is a part of basketball.  Do you remember McHale and Rambis.  The inside is for big men. They own the paint.  Rose will think twice about driving with no fear if that happens.  If the Celtics can't do it they will lose.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rose needs to be knocked on his back! : It's not JUST about fouling.  It's about being an intimidating presence.   Someone to knock his confidence because right now it's sky-high.  He's only a second year player.  He should not be able to be so cocky against a team of hall of famers.... but we allow him to be. 
    Posted by MsLithium21[/QUOTE]

Okay. The Bulls can do the SAME THING with Rondo. Boozer, Noah, Thomas, and Deng are all physical players, and play rough defense.

If they slam Rondo to the ground, and he's out for the playoffs...IT'S OVER.

Bottom line is, the Celtics have to play better defense. Hacking, mauling, knocking another player down will only get us in the penalty and they'll just beat us at the line.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

There are some players who are willing to take a beating and are not intimidated by physical play. I think Rose is one of those players. Jordan was that type as well.

Being physical has a double-edge sword. If the refs are calling the game tight, then the the Celtics will lose more often than not. If the refs are calling the game lose and allow physical play, then teams like the Celtics have an easier time winning.

For Celtic defensive coach Thibadeau has Chicago well prepared for the way Boston plays. That's a huge advantage besides having Home Court. The refs tend to be more sensitive to calling fouls at the expense of the visiting team. This adds to Wade and Lebron's effectiveness. They seem to get the calls.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Yes, I have at least the slightest cursory knowledge of the Bulls and am aware of everything you just mentioned.  Maybe I wasn't sufficiently clear.  So I will try again:  Shaq adds a toughness that we don't presently have, and that the Bulls don't really have themselves.  And he does not have to commit flagrant fouls to do it.  When I said "knock his confidence" in reference to Rose I really meant just his confidence, OK? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, I have at least the slightest cursory knowledge of the Bulls and am aware of everything you just mentioned.  Maybe I wasn't sufficiently clear.  So I will try again:  Shaq adds a toughness that we don't presently have, and that the Bulls don't really have themselves.  And he does not have to commit flagrant fouls to do it.  When I said "knock his confidence" in reference to Rose I really meant just his confidence, OK? 

I got you. But I respectfully disagree. Derrick Rose is the presumptive MVP. I don't believe a few hard hits will break his confidence. As for Shaq, even before he went out with the main injury a couple of months ago, he was VERY foul prone. I'm not really putting all my hope on a player who started limping after 5 minutes on the floor. Hopefully our other bigs will step up and contribute.

That's just my 2 cents.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Fair enough.  You can't fault me for want there to be a solution to Derrick Rose.  As I said on the game thread, the best solution will probably wind up being to force him to beat us on his own by shutting down other key players.  It was all we could do against Jordan for a period of time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

[QUOTE]Fair enough.  You can't fault me for want there to be a solution to Derrick Rose.  As I said on the game thread, the best solution will probably wind up being to force him to beat us on his own by shutting down other key players.  It was all we could do against Jordan for a period of time.

Michael Jordan WAS something else wasn't he?? He was TRULY a load for ANY team. DAMN, why couldn't HE be a Celtic??

*sigh*

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

OH... Amen.  Agreed 100%.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a hard foul.  I mentioned during the game thread that someone needed to knock Rose on his butt.  You can't just keep letting him get to the rim. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

There's nothing dirty about putting a player on their back side. Good hard fouls are the best way to intimidate an opponent. big men do it to rondo, which is why i think we don't see the full rondo in the reg. season, it's better to avoid stupid injuries for stats. keep your hands high, go into his body, and let him know that there's a price to pay if you go into the paint. we do it with lebron, we just need to approach rose with a similar mind set

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

In Response to Rose needs to be knocked on his back!:
    [QUOTE]If Shaq had been in there Rose would have driven in and been knocked back hard on his butt.  Remember the second half of the opening night this year when Lebron started taking the ball to the basket and Shaq hit him once and he never came inside the rest of the game. This is what the Celtics miss if Shaq plays does not play.  If Shaq can't do it BBD should. It is the way the game  is played.  Defining moments like that lead to a title.  Also hitting a few open shots helps to.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]Accept the loss. We were outcoached, outplayed and outhustled. Thibs did his homework while Doc apparently did not. Celtics were overconfident and lacklustre while the Bulls played with teamwork and intensity much like the champion Celtics of 2007-2008. Even Shaq's presence on the team won't matter unless our guys start playing with a sense of urgency and selflessness.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from olivern. Show olivern's posts

If Shaq was in there Rose would probably be taking more jump shots off pick and rolls....(and makin' em)

I don't see any obvious weaknesses with Rose's game now that he's extended his shooting range. That includes the mental aspect - I don't think hard fouls (except those resulting in actual injury) would really bother the guy.

Seems pretty humble too - doesn't yap at people and doesn't do the airplane after ever ridiculous shot he makes. Just trots back downcourt for the most part. Gotta respect that.

Seems like the Bulls are 1 additional decent big body away from being a championship-caliber team. That's where Shaq could make a big difference for us - abusing their big people in the post and screwing up their defensive rotations.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]If Shaq was in there Rose would probably be taking more jump shots off pick and rolls....(and makin' em) I don't see any obvious weaknesses with Rose's game now that he's extended his shooting range. That includes the mental aspect - I don't think hard fouls (except those resulting in actual injury) would really bother the guy. Seems pretty humble too - doesn't yap at people and doesn't do the airplane after ever ridiculous shot he makes. Just trots back downcourt for the most part. Gotta respect that. Seems like the Bulls are 1 additional decent big body away from being a championship-caliber team. That's where Shaq could make a big difference for us - abusing their big people in the post and screwing up their defensive rotations.
    Posted by olivern[/QUOTE]

The Bulls arent 1 player away, they are a championship caliber team.

Shaq would help us deal with the Bulls but lets give credit where it belongs. Thay are a good eam and very capable of winning it all

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

Knocking a player on his butt has always been a good practice-albeit without intent to harm.. If a player anticipates contact it can sometimes cause a readjustment in his shot that results in a miss. This can occur at a crucial part of the game or simply decrease  his shooting % enough to eek out a close game.. Every little bit helps..I think that is the original intent of this post

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Would Rose and the Bulls be attacking the paint if Perk was here. THANK YOU MR. AINGE!!!!
    Posted by RicoCeltic[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with you.  It wouldn't have happened if Perk was still with the Celtics.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Rose has become the player I thought he could be when I watched him in memphis.  I was hoping he wouldnt put it together this soon, but this kid is a freak.  I do agree with concord though.  Dont have to be flagrant, and so what if Shaq fouls out.  Thats why we have 3 centers.  IF anyone does not buy into that , just dont know b-ball.  Yeah, he is gonna get his points,...but you put him on his but t, he is not gonna run rampit on your defense.  We have no enforcer with Perk gone, and without Shaq, I doubt anyone would ever hit the floor.  We are too prideful in our defense, where we think we can contain people and block shots, but sometimes you have to conceed that you are beat and HACK someone...I dont see anybody sparing us.!  How many times the big 3 been bloodied up this year.  Pierce been taken down.  Rondo hitting the floor.  This team better toughen up and start hitting back or its an early exit, IMO

Teams smell blood in the water with no intimidator around..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]Boy that Rose can get knock down 7 times and he will get up 10 and with a vengance. Impossible to stop speed, streight, hops and accuracy Remeber he is NOT not Rondo.
    Posted by RicoCeltic[/QUOTE]

Imagine what he would do to Fisher!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Now I am not saying we cant win without Perk, but Doc needs to assign someone to enforce.  Just think about it....when was the last time K.G. fouled someone hard, or Ray, or Rondo, or Kristic, or Baby...we have a soft team on defense right now...as much as it pains me....We arent fresh enough to execute the system the way we used to, so sometimes you have to FOUL, and make sure the guy doenst get a shot up...Pierce may shove someone if he is mad, but def. doesnt happen nearly enough.  I posted on this last week.  2 things that urk me.  Giving up offensive rebounds and not protecting the paint with hard fouls...Sure way to lose in the playoffs. and its all hustle and muscle, no skills involved!

Sections
Shortcuts