Rumor: Celtics interested in Kendall Marshall!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Rumor: Celtics interested in Kendall Marshall!

Rumor: Celtics interested in Kendall Marshall

By Matt Moore 

November 4, 2013 11:20 am  

The Celtics have interest in Kendall Marshall.  (USATSI) The Celtics have interest in Kendall Marshall. (USATSI)

The Boston Globe reports the Celtics coul be interested in free agent Kendall Marshall.

The Wizards wasted no time in waiving Shannon Brown, Malcolm Lee, and Kendall Marshall from the trade with the Suns, putting three intriguing players on the free agent market. Marshall is a pass-first point guard whose style never fit with the Suns, but he could serve as a solid backup for a building team. The Celtics would likely be interested in Marshall if his salary didn't push them above the luxury tax and make them a repeat offender, something ownership desperately wants to avoid during this rebuilding phase.

via - Sports - The Boston Globe.

Makes sense, right? The Celtics need a point guard, literally anyone who can dribble. Marshall's young, and cheap, and on the market. He's a former first-round pick and fits with what they want in terms of young players.

Can Marshall be an effective starting point guard? It's unlikely. But hey, there's no reason not to take a flyer on him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Rumor: Celtics interested in Kendall Marshall!

Good catch, good read, good idea.

Poor Philly P

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

This could mean RR is out until the All Star break! OR B. Stevens is not all that impressed with Pressey! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Kendall Marshall

At a glance: 6-4, 195 pounds, 22 years old

2012-13 stats: 14.6 minutes, 3.0 points, 3.0 assists per game

How he got here: Acquired with the 13th overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft

What he brings to the table: With wing scorers a-plenty on the roster, there’s room for another passer behind Goran Dragic. Marshall is as pass-first as it gets, a reputation reinforced at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. The former Tar Heel looks to get teammates in their offensive rhythm well before looking for his own shot, a habit that earns plenty of points with any team.

Goal: Improve shooting (37.1 percent from the field, 31.5 percent from three in 2012-13)

Best game as a pro: March 28, 2013 vs. Sacramento. With Dragic out of the lineup, Marshall played some of his most productive minutes in a game that was close until the very end. He finished with nine points, 10 assists and two steals as part of a late-season surge in his rookie year.

RELATED STORIES

Hornacek sees role for Marshall

VIDEO: Marshall’s hidden talent

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Bradley's ball handling at the end of the Detroit game was awful and the major reason we lost that game.  I think Stevens has seen enough to know that Bradley can't play the point.  It was worth the try.  Bradley will be expendable.

The team needs both a starting PG and a backup PG.  The Marshall acquisition makes a lot of sense if they can accomodate financially.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Not to toot my own horn ...

but this pickup would work GREAT with a (Lee, Bass for Asik) trade! The trade would open up an additional roster spot, clear out a guard, and open up some more salary while staying under the tax line.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Marshall's a great idea.  But there's no room.  Any suggestions on how they could make this work?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to R9R's comment:
    [QUOTE]

but this pickup would work GREAT with a (Lee, Bass for Asik) trade! The trade would open up an additional roster spot, clear out a guard, and open up some more salary while staying under the tax line.

[/QUOTE]

It would be a no brainer trading Bass and Lee for Asik... for the Celtics.  But again, as so many trade proposals floated here, Houston would have no interest in taking 2 mediocre players with bad contracts.  and Remeber Houston traded Lee to us to begin with.  So that trade won't happen.  Houston will be looking to improve their PG position in a trade for Asik, if they have any intention of trading him to begin with. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Marshall's a great idea.  But there's no room.  Any suggestions on how they could make this work?

[/QUOTE]

I think it would have to coincide with a trade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think it would have to coincide with a trade.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not an expert here, like you guys.  But would a 10-day contract on Marshall seem appropriate?  Give him an audition w/o crossing the Lux threshold?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It would be a no brainer trading Bass and Lee for Asik... for the Celtics.  But again, as so many trade proposals floated here, Houston would have no interest in taking 2 mediocre players with bad contracts.  and Remeber Houston traded Lee to us to begin with.  So that trade won't happen.  Houston will be looking to improve their PG position in a trade for Asik, if they have any intention of trading him to begin with. 

[/QUOTE]

no ... they're looking to upgrade their PF spot. They have Lin and Beverly ... to very decent backup PGs. There's not way they're getting a blue chipper PG for Asik/Lin/Beverly. They need someone to play alongside Howard that complements his skillset.

The Rockets fanbase are out of their minds. They think that they can get Blake Griffin or Kevin Love or Serge Ibaka... clueless.

Bass is a good, cheap option next to Howard. Asik > Bass, so a pick needs to be included. Lee is a throw-in for salary, but Lee can still be a 3&D guy off the bench. Rockets traded Lee because they were rebuilding, now they're contending and could use Lee's veteran presence.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

The Rockettes were so thrilled to get rid of Lee.  You think they're not only going to take him back but they are going to include Asik in the deal?  Good one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Of all the contracts we have, it's not Bass, or even Lee that is the albatross.....it's Bogans!!

This contract is killing us.  He has to go, there is no room for him, and it prevents us from signing kids like this.

We have to make a trade.............

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

dont get it..supposedly we are trying to tank but we arent!!!  No more spending, no trades. Play what we have. Play Pressey at least he knows how to dribble and pass..I dont care what our record is at the end since we are rebuilding, arent we??? I just want to watch competitiveness in the form of good basketball with decent amount of turnovers... The Asik idea makes me sick..the guy is being put in the pedestal in this forum like if he was the best center out there..its the case of Gortat as well..both are average and both arent going to take boston over the hump or make any team a championship calliber team.. I say, Brad, play what you have.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

pressey sounds decent , but Marshall has 5 inches on him.  Nice to have point guards with a little size

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Videos of kendall marshall highlights bing.com/videos

Click to view 3:41 Kendall Marshall Highlights O'Con… YouTube

Click to view 1:22 Kendall Marshall 11 Points/4 Assi… YouTube

Click to view 1:11 Kendall Marshall 11 Points/5 Assi… YouTube

Click to view 3:26 2010-2011 Kendall Marshall Highlights YouTube

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to cabutan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

dont get it..supposedly we are trying to tank but we arent!!!  No more spending, no trades. Play what we have. Play Pressey at least he knows how to dribble and pass..I dont care what our record is at the end since we are rebuilding, arent we??? I just want to watch competitiveness in the form of good basketball with decent amount of turnovers... The Asik idea makes me sick..the guy is being put in the pedestal in this forum like if he was the best center out there..its the case of Gortat as well..both are average and both arent going to take boston over the hump or make any team a championship calliber team.. I say, Brad, play what you have.

[/QUOTE]

I do not understand any of what you're saying.

"play what we have"

"no trades"

You must be one of those change-averse people. If we keep this roster and keep "developing" we will be going nowhere. The lower half of medicority for years. Trades and free agent signings are what create championship teams. We have some guys on this team now that NEED to be moved. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I see Humphries, Lee and Bogans going before the year is over,   Crawford and Brooks when the year is over, and Bradley re-signing for nowhere near what he wants!

For the record, I am not averse to trading anyone on this roster to get better.  Except Fav and Oly.....I would trade Sully for the right deal........unfortunately, he could be another BBD - and we all know how I felt about him!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no ... they're looking to upgrade their PF spot. They have Lin and Beverly ... to very decent backup PGs. There's not way they're getting a blue chipper PG for Asik/Lin/Beverly. They need someone to play alongside Howard that complements his skillset.

The Rockets fanbase are out of their minds. They think that they can get Blake Griffin or Kevin Love or Serge Ibaka... clueless.

Bass is a good, cheap option next to Howard. Asik > Bass, so a pick needs to be included. Lee is a throw-in for salary, but Lee can still be a 3&D guy off the bench. Rockets traded Lee because they were rebuilding, now they're contending and could use Lee's veteran presence.

[/QUOTE]

Bass may have value as a backup.  He is not a PF starter on a contender.  Neither Lee nor Bass are good enough to get Asik.  They can do a lot better elsewhere.  Houston is 3-0 and Asik is pulling down 12 RPG.  But I'm sure that won't stop you from proposing this or something similar again for the hundreth time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to cabutan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I do not understand any of what you're saying.

"play what we have"

"no trades"

You must be one of those change-averse people. If we keep this roster and keep "developing" we will be going nowhere. The lower half of medicority for years. Trades and free agent signings are what create championship teams. We have some guys on this team now that NEED to be moved. 

[/QUOTE]
    If we get rid of players, it better be to clear up salary but it makes no sense to trade for, example, Asik, to have a huge payroll that would limit the team on getting some REAL stars.. Dump players, YES...trade to acquire Vultures, NO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Of all the contracts we have, it's not Bass, or even Lee that is the albatross.....it's Bogans!!

This contract is killing us.  He has to go, there is no room for him, and it prevents us from signing kids like this.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think anybody is going to take Bogans in trade.  We'll have to eat his $5M this year and then its done.  Same with Hump, but at least he has value both as a player and his expiring contract in a trade.  

More important, its the multi-year deals with players who are not part of the rebuild that we need to move this year - Wallace, Bass and Lee.   I can't see anyone taking those bad contracts without giving up value (a player(s) or draft pick(s) that we would prefer not to trade) in order to move them. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think anybody is going to take Bogans in trade.  We'll have to eat his $5M this year and then its done.  Same with Hump, but at least he has value both as a player and his expiring contract in a trade.  

More important, its the multi-year deals with players who are not part of the rebuild that we need to move this year - Wallace, Bass and Lee.   I can't see anyone taking those bad contracts without giving up value (a player(s) or draft pick(s) that we would prefer not to trade) in order to move them. 

[/QUOTE]

I would agree, but I thought Bogans has 3 years left.  If I'm incorrect, I agre that we will eat it....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

He's basketball smart, can control a game, and loves to pass.

Yeah, but he's slow, not athletic, and he can't shoot - 37 FG%.

So what?     Slow + unathletic + 37.5 FG% = Bob Cousy  

And don't get your knickers in a twist. I mention it only to cite that there can be little correlation between description and performance.

What's for sure is that this team is crying out for any kind of game manager, so a pure PG would really help.

If you can't get a go-to SF and/or a reliable shooter at SG, you might as well get a competent PG to try and maximize what it is you do have. 

I can see the logic of it, but a 2 million dollar price tag isn't at all doable without subtraction somewhere else. Maybe a D-league guy for the rookie minimum?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would agree, but I thought Bogans has 3 years left.  If I'm incorrect, I agre that we will eat it....

[/QUOTE]

Technically he has a 3 year and $15M contract, but its Not guaranteed after this year. So we can cut him this summer without further damage after eating his $5M

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Technically he has a 3 year and $15M contract, but its Not guaranteed after this year. So we can cut him this summer without further damage after eating his $5M

[/QUOTE]

Thanks - then we are stuck with him, I guess!

Sections
Shortcuts