Ryan Hollins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: Ryan Hollins

Yes, in terms of the level of talent that we've seen from him thus far, you are right.  But playing next to KG and PP with R9R and RA will allow him to operate and become a more effective player.  The guy is a 2nd round draft pick so we should not expect him to step in and play like a seasoned, skilled NBA center.

I honestly believe KG (and the vets) will take this guy and show him the way.  Hollins has talent (potential) but it hasn't been realized.  He's never had anyone work with him and push him.  He's never been on a team that had a leader.

Sometimes it takes being surrounded by talent like in Boston to realize your own talent.  I'm not expecting 10 pts, 8 rebs and 3 blks per game but I am expecting him to contribute.

When you look at it, many on this board were hoping to pick up Turiaf, a guy who's played 4 games this year (injury prone - is that a familiar theme).  We weren't going to pick up much so Hollins is what we MIGHT get.  Again, he's not signed yet so we should wait to see what happens.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Hollins is a legitimate 7'0 footer, he's not Patrick O'Bryant either. He's better than Stiemsma too. He's DEFINATELY a better option than JON.

I hope we get him just to have some more size, defense and scoring at the basket. Is he the difference in a NBA Title, probably not but he's the difference in a 7th seed and a 5th seed. We cannot survive with KG and Stiemsma as our centers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Petey, Bias,
    You're right about Hollins. He's 7 footer and athletic. And, AFAIR from his days in Cleveland, his hands are not that bad (opposite of "made of stone").
    Sure, he's kind of knucklehead but for the rent for the rest of the season and playoffs he is much, much better than JON and Wilcox.
    I hope he gels well and gives a few minutes rest to KG and takes a few fouls from others.

AK

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

As long as they don't move Dooling to pick him up. I was already dissapointed we lost JO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

We need bodies, and if we doesn't work out, cut him!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Bias and sinus, exactly.  I think this is a very good pickup, if he ends up here.  How many dominant centers are there in the Eastern Conference?  I think he will fit in surprisingly well.

And again, it's not like we have many options.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

JO was nothing more than a big body.  He was constantly in foul trouble and too slow to keep up with the team.   He also was a terrible rebounder at this stage of his career.   With he and Rondo on the floor, we put lost of pressure on KG, Paul, and Ray to score.  JON is only a loss in his size.  

Unfortunately, Hollins is only going to be marginally better, but better than nothing.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

They just need another big.  Any big with an NBA pedigree at this point is fine.  They only have 4 guys that can play pf or center on their entire 15 man roster.  Hollins can eat up minutes when others need rest.  Even that is a huge plus at this point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

In Response to Re: Ryan Hollins:
    They just need another big.  Any big with an NBA pedigree at this point is fine.  They only have 4 guys that can play pf or center on their entire 15 man roster.  Hollins can eat up minutes when others need rest.  Even that is a huge plus at this point.
    Posted by snakeoil123

As long as he can dunk and grab boards he will be fine. He will get a few chippies a night on offense as long as he can run the floor. I have no idea if can play D at all though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

As long as they don't move Dooling to pick him up. I was already dissapointed we lost JO.
    Posted by tompenny

They better not waive Daniels either!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In Response to Re: Ryan Hollins : As long as he can dunk and grab boards he will be fine. He will get a few chippies a night on offense as long as he can run the floor. I have no idea if can play D at all though.
    Posted by tompenny

He is a poor rebounder.  And was let go by the Cavs.  He won't be providing much so don't get your hopes up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" Ryan Hollins would not make a difference for the Celtics. He'd just keep the end of the bench warm."

Not an intelligent comment on your part. Sometimes a team just needs a big who can grab a few boards, bang and pick up some fouls. I''m sure you felt clever and snarky when you wrote it but a big is a big is a big. We need one. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

" Ryan Hollins would not make a difference for the Celtics. He'd just keep the end of the bench warm." Not an intelligent comment on your part. Sometimes a team just needs a big who can grab a few boards, bang and pick up some fouls. I''m sure you felt clever and snarky when you wrote it but a big is a big is a big. We need one. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

I didn't make the point you refer to but let me ask you a question.  Who would be a better rebounder and tough presence right now for the Celtics Leon Powe or Ryan Hollins?  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

concord, you pose a legit question.  We have experience with Leon and he was a tough post player.  However, he's only 6'9" and he has difficulty with length and he's not particularly athletic.  Right now, the Celtics need a center.  They need length.  Powe won't defend the post effective.  He's tough and he battles but he's not a center.

Leon Powe, Josh Powell, two 6'9" guys who would serve the Celtics well if there were no other options but Ryan Hollins is more of what the Celtics need than Powe.

Length just a tad over toughness right now.  We need a legit center in the middle that that is not Powe.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

concord, you pose a legit question.  We have experience with Leon and he was a tough post player.  However, he's only 6'9" and he has difficulty with length and he's not particularly athletic.  Right now, the Celtics need a center.  They need length.  Powe won't defend the post effective.  He's tough and he battles but he's not a center. Leon Powe, Josh Powell, two 6'9" guys who would serve the Celtics well if there were no other options but Ryan Hollins is more of what the Celtics need than Powe. Length just a tad over toughness right now.  We need a legit center in the middle that that is not Powe.
    Posted by Petey62

You may be right, then we should go out and get Powe just for the rebounding.
    He is a fan favorite and would probably perform well.  The bigger question is the best we could come up with is Ryan Hollins.  We knew about this void JON was awful, then he was injured well before the trade deadline. It tells us a great deal about the feelings Ainge had about the season before the deadline.  It is a lost season is my assessment.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In Response to Re: Ryan Hollins : You may be right, then we should go out and get Powe just for the rebounding. He is a fan favorite and would probably perform well.  The bigger question is the best we could come up with is Ryan Hollins.  We knew about this void JON was awful, then he was injured well before the trade deadline. It tells us a great deal about the feelings Ainge had about the season before the deadline.  It is a lost season is my assessment.
    Posted by concord27

concord, I think Hollins is the best on the market that suits the needs of the Celtics right now.  He is the best available player who "we know" is currently available and possible to sign.

About the second point, that's for another thread.  I, for one, had a sinking suspicion that DA, with all the supposed rumors about Rondo and RA, knew all along that he was not going to make a move by the trade deadline.  I think there were moves to be had that could have improved this team but they were not made.

In spite of our needs and facing the loss of both JON and Wilcox, I had this feeling that DA would stand pat and he did.  At this point, he has no choice but to bring in reinforcements because he has two guys who are out for the season in the final year of their contracts.

Sections
Shortcuts