S/O to Ray Allen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenaboveGold. Show GreenaboveGold's posts

S/O to Ray Allen

Ray took a lot of heat from fans after his performance in game 4 and most of them were deserved but as fans if we're going to rip a player for not playing well we need to give then credit when they do things well. I though Ray Allen in addition to the bigs, was huge for us, he played very well for us even with just 5 points. Soetimes basketball goes beyond the numbers, what i saw tonight was more than just a 2-7 shooting performance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: S/O to Ray Allen

I don't understand any criticism of the Celtics. They have far exceeded everyone's expectations since the beginning of the season. They are fun to watch, even 36 year old Ray Ray. Just enjoy it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: S/O to Ray Allen:
    [QUOTE]I don't understand any criticism of the Celtics. They have far exceeded everyone's expectations since the beginning of the season. They are fun to watch, even 36 year old Ray Ray. Just enjoy it!
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

I already commented about Ray in many other threads and give him credit for playing through his current injury. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I  love Ray but he's really hurt and we gotta find a way to get more minutes from the end of the bench. It's not a knock on RA or AB but when your injured not just hurt there is only so much you can tough it out. Doc needs a Sasha,Etwaan or/ and somebody else get 10 - 15 minutes combined. Those extra minutes maybe just enough relief to both to able to be able to tough it out in the clutch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8brd. Show sk8brd's posts

Ray sux.  He is done.  Can't shoot.  Can't run.  Can't rebound.  Can't defend.  He lost the 3 shot which was the only thing he had left.  Why is he out there for so long I had no idea.  And you say you are happy he scored just 5 points?  If the C's lost this game, I bet you would be pissed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenaboveGold. Show GreenaboveGold's posts

[QUOTE]Ray sux.  He is done.  Can't shoot.  Can't run.  Can't rebound.  Can't defend.  He lost the 3 shot which was the only thing he had left.  Why is he out there for so long I had no idea.  And you say you are happy he scored just 5 points?  If the C's lost this game, I bet you would be pissed.
    Posted by sk8brd[/QUOTE]
    he played great, basketball is more than numbers. if they played the way they played tonight and stil lose then so be it, the've already surpassed anyone's expectation.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

I love Ray and the rest of this team. If we get to the Eastern finals, it will be an amazing feat by Doc Rivers and the team. Amazing! I'm enjoying the ride and feel Celtic pride is on display more often than they get credit for. Be cool everyone and have fun.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Comment above was that Ray acted as a decoy and although the way he is shooting, it's not understandable why.

At some times Allen had two men on him & that freed him up to make some Rondo type passes to open men. We know he's been cold and not shooting his 3s as he used to, but when a cat jumps on a hot stove, he's reluctant to jump on a cold stove...probably not the best analogy but the opponents know he's an all star & what he is capable of doing so he is still feared & in a short series I don't think they can take a chance & leave him open so still guard him heavily with one/two players so being only a decoy is very effective freeing others up to shoot or drive to the basket !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from great-1957. Show great-1957's posts

I agree with you.

However, my point in a previous thread is that Ray Allen need not be in our defensive lineup in the closing minutes of a close game. Any opposing coach will see him as the point of entry in any offensive attack.

Any shooter will have his eyes light up seeing Ray Allen in front of him. The value of each possession is magnified in the last two minutes of a close game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]Ray sux.  He is done.  Can't shoot.  Can't run.  Can't rebound.  Can't defend.  He lost the 3 shot which was the only thing he had left.  Why is he out there for so long I had no idea.  And you say you are happy he scored just 5 points?  If the C's lost this game, I bet you would be pissed.
    Posted by sk8brd[/QUOTE]

You are just a typical Allen hater.  He played with the two sharp pains on both foot, and he played well.  He should have told Doc that he is taking rest of the year off, but didnt.  He know he does not need to keep shooting to get his confidence back.  He wanted to help the team to keep moving the ball around to get someone else open, and have this guy to make these easy basket which that was why Bass had a good nite.  Allen was one of the four guys helped Bass to get an easy open basket.  That is how Celtics need to keep doing.  Move the ball around.  Bradley doesnt do that too well except he is a good defender. 

Quit bashing on Allen.  Why people have to pick on just one person if the Celtics lost.  Every time Celtics loses, that is because the whole team stunk!!!

If Allen just keep scoring 5 points by just shooting less than 7 times, it is more likely that the Celtics can win any game.    

Good job Allen!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

As long as they are playing him like the old ray allen...keeping  a defender close and showing on him when he curls, then all ray has to do is move the ball and he's done his job.

I don't remember evan turner getting around him that much, but I'll watch the game again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Hi,
    I agree with Kirk. RA's main role is being a decoy. And the reason for that is his reputation. I don't know if he capable to get hot playing through all that pain, but I bet that 76's do not want to find out.

AK

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Ray has had a great career and the injury is surely taking its toll.  But he did not have a good game last night.

He was beaten in the post, off the dribble, didn't box out, slow to get back, etc.  He let one rebound bounce right past him.  The Celts took over the game with him on the bench.  That is not a coincidence.  If AB wasn't hurt I'd have Allen on the bench and use Pav/Moore to give AB a rest.  Even with AB out Doc is relying on Allen based on what he has done in the past rather than what he can contribute now.  He is a huge defensive liability and he can't spring open off screens like he once could.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Not to be sarcastic but you guys know how hurt he is right?  You can see it?

He has no lift at all.  I feel badly for him.  He is trying to gut it out but he isn't producing.

It is amazing how well the Celtics have done thusfar with both Allen and Bradley as hurt as they are.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

If he could not play well because he is hurt then he should not be playing.  We have Pietrus, Pavlovic and Marquis that are ready to play especially on defensive end.  Rest and get better, there are a lot more basketball to be played.  Players that give the team the best chance to win, should be playing, period.  There should be no injury excuse for bad performance.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]If he could not play well because he is hurt then he should not be playing.  We have Pietrus, Pavlovic and Marquis that are ready to play especially on defensive end.  Rest and get better, there are a lot more basketball to be played.  Players that give the team the best chance to win, should be playing, period.  There should be no injury excuse for bad performance.
    Posted by scubber[/QUOTE]

A hurt Ray Allen is better than Sasha or Marquis.  he knows the sets and he won't become a black hole like Marquis, trying to do more than he's capable of.  Pietrus is ok in my book due to his D (can't shoot but one out of 5 games, however).   But, at least he can play D.  Sasha and Marquis offer zero in my opinion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

I don't quite agree.  Even if Ray knows the sets, he was not able to get open or able to get shot off like he used to and he looked very slow on defense.  Pietrus/Sasha/Marguis looked bad when playing in scrub unit but they were not too bad playing with the real unit.  Their job would be to shoot when they are really open and then play good defense on the other end, and not doing too much like they do in garbage time.  When Ray is really not doing well and offer very little on offense, you have to try these guys out and find the best options for the team especially defensively.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]If he could not play well because he is hurt then he should not be playing.  We have Pietrus, Pavlovic and Marquis that are ready to play especially on defensive end.  Rest and get better, there are a lot more basketball to be played.  Players that give the team the best chance to win, should be playing, period.  There should be no injury excuse for bad performance.

The coach desides who plays.  Ray Allen doesn't. He is obviously extremely hobbled.  He has zero lift and he can't run well at all.  

There is obviously an injury excuse for bad performance.  I have no idea what you are talking about here.  I am not saying he is playing well.  I am saying to give a guy a hard time for him trying to gut through an injury and play is ridiculous.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

In Response to S/O to Ray Allen:
    [QUOTE]Ray took a lot of heat from fans after his performance in game 4 and most of them were deserved but as fans if we're going to rip a player for not playing well we need to give then credit when they do things well. I though Ray Allen in addition to the bigs, was huge for us, he played very well for us even with just 5 points. Soetimes basketball goes beyond the numbers, what i saw tonight was more than just a 2-7 shooting performance.
    Posted by GreenaboveGold[/QUOTE]

i agree totally, he did get some unexpected and surprising rebounds.
    a couple of them were offensive.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

You are thinking that I am trying to give Ray hard time.  Not at all am I trying to say anything bad about Ray.  All I am saying that if he is hurt and not able to do as well as many others on the team at his position, then he should not be playing.  It is not about me going against Ray and you defending him.

I totally agree that it is not Ray fault.  The playing time is done by Doc and he is the one who is mostly responsible.  I am saying Doc needs to play the best player that give the best chance for the team to win.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CAPITALIST_AVENGER. Show CAPITALIST_AVENGER's posts

[QUOTE]Not to be sarcastic but you guys know how hurt he is right?  You can see it? He has no lift at all.  I feel badly for him.  He is trying to gut it out but he isn't producing. It is amazing how well the Celtics have done thusfar with both Allen and Bradley as hurt as they are.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]this says it all about Ray Ray:

The Sixers recognize what Ray means to the Celtics:

"If anything, we want a two-point shot instead of a three-point shot. I do have to stay a lot closer to him, I can't help out as much. When Avery Bradley's out there he's still an offensive threat, but I definitely lean more toward Ray Allen," noted Jrue Holiday, who defended Allen for many of Allen's 33 minutes.

Added Jodie Meeks, "Regardless of how he's shooting the ball, he's one of the greatest shooters of all-time. We know he could get it going at any time, and we don't want to let that happen. We don't want to give him any space to get a clean look at the rim. [The Celtics are] definitely a threat no matter what, but with him, you have to be alert at all times, whether he's on the strong side or weak side."

When Ray hit his first and only three of the game early in the first quarter, it struck the fear of a breakout game in the heart of the Sixers. Philly can't help like they do off Avery. Frankly, I think they're overplaying him a bit. If you watch the second half of the third quarter last night when Rondo and Bass were 1-4 pick-and-rolling the Sixers to death, the weak side guard wouldn't even turn their head to help. They stuck on Ray in the corner to protect themselves from a baseline three. I'm sure Doug Collins has seen a lot of tape on that corner three igniting a Celtics' run, but I'm not sure overplaying him (and Pierce) is the answer because the Celtics bigs and Rondo are capitalizing. As Ray points out:

"Right now this is a Brandon [Bass] and Kevin [Garnett] series. Rondo understands it, me and Paul [Pierce] understand it. We're making whatever plays we need to make in order to get those guys shots."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]You are thinking that I am trying to give Ray hard time.  Not at all am I trying to say anything bad about Ray.  All I am saying that if he is hurt and not able to do as well as many others on the team at his position, then he should not be playing.  It is not about me going against Ray and you defending him. I totally agree that it is not Ray fault.  The playing time is done by Doc and he is the one who is mostly responsible.  I am saying Doc needs to play the best player that give the best chance for the team to win.

Sorry man I took you wrong.  

I agree that Ray is not playing well and that Doc should be sitting him more.

I was just defending him because the dude is a stud.  He works hard all the time and gives it his all constantly.  I feel bad for him out there not able to perform  You know it is killing him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Are you guys all joking?

AB was injured and couldn't play. Ray sacrifices his body for the team. It was obvious how much pain he had.

And he played great defense yesterday (again). How often was he credited by commentators in the game yesterday for his defense? 3-4 times? And he is bashed from the fans here, disgusting.

He took care of the ball as well, and made some nice passes. Got his teammates open, running hard around screens. Was credited by the commentators for this as well. But around here: No love for Ray.

His shooting is off cause he has no lift due to he injury, but he is doing the little things great.

Sections
Shortcuts