Second thoughts on Dwight Howard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shamrocks4ever. Show Shamrocks4ever's posts

Second thoughts on Dwight Howard

The possibility of adding Dwight Howard to the Celtics, and how to do so, has been discussed here many times (including by me).  I do consider Howard to be clearly the best center in the NBA right now, and I'd love to see the Celtics add him for the right price (or the right deal).
      The more I think about it though, the more I think that he's a guy who could be the best player on a loaded championship team (think Kevin Garnett in 2008), but not a guy who'll carry a not-quite-loaded team to a championship (think Hakeem Olajuwon in 1994).
      To me, the concern with Howard is that his being the best center in the league now may speak more to the lack of good centers in the NBA today than to Howard's true greatness.  Think about it:  if you could time-warp him back to about 1995, Dwight Howard would only have been about the 5th or 6th best center in the NBA at that time.
      Olajuwon, Shaq, David Robinson, probably Patrick Ewing, and maybe Alonzo Mourning (still in his prime then) were all better than Howard.  The two that Howard resembles most were Robinson and Mourning; both were more polished offensively than Howard, and were comparable as defenders and rebounders.  Howard is more athletic than Mourning, but Mourning was just as strong and about 100 times meaner; Robinson had the "nice guy" persona like Howard, but was about 3 inches taller and a more graceful athlete (you could call Dwight a poor man's David Robinson).
      None of this changes the fact that Howard is the best center in the NBA today.  I'd still like to see him in Celtic green.  But, I just can't see him putting a team on his shoulders and taking it all the way.  If he somehow comes to Boston and has two or three other All-Stars around him, or goes to the Lakers and has Kobe and Gasol, I like his chances to win a title.  But I don't think he'll get it done with anything less than that in his supporting cast.
      Just my opinion... any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Re: Second thoughts on Dwight Howard

I think you brought up some great points and comparisons.......each decade or era defines itself in one way or another....

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Second thoughts on Dwight Howard:
      The possibility of adding Dwight Howard to the Celtics, and how to do so, has been discussed here many times (including by me).  I do consider Howard to be clearly the best center in the NBA right now, and I'd love to see the Celtics add him for the right price (or the right deal).   The more I think about it though, the more I think that he's a guy who could be the best player on a loaded championship team (think Kevin Garnett in 2008), but not a guy who'll carry a not-quite-loaded team to a championship (think Hakeem Olajuwon in 1994).   To me, the concern with Howard is that his being the best center in the league now may speak more to the lack of good centers in the NBA today than to Howard's true greatness.  Think about it:  if you could time-warp him back to about 1995, Dwight Howard would only have been about the 5th or 6th best center in the NBA at that time.   Olajuwon, Shaq, David Robinson, probably Patrick Ewing, and maybe Alonzo Mourning (still in his prime then) were all better than Howard.  The two that Howard resembles most were Robinson and Mourning; both were more polished offensively than Howard, and were comparable as defenders and rebounders.  Howard is more athletic than Mourning, but Mourning was just as strong and about 100 times meaner; Robinson had the "nice guy" persona like Howard, but was about 3 inches taller and a more graceful athlete (you could call Dwight a poor man's David Robinson).   None of this changes the fact that Howard is the best center in the NBA today.  I'd still like to see him in Celtic green.  But, I just can't see him putting a team on his shoulders and taking it all the way.  If he somehow comes to Boston and has two or three other All-Stars around him, or goes to the Lakers and has Kobe and Gasol, I like his chances to win a title.  But I don't think he'll get it done with anything less than that in his supporting cast.   Just my opinion... any thoughts?
    Posted by Shamrocks4ever

I think Dwight Howard fits in right after Akeem Alajuwon and the Shaq. He is easily as good as Mourning, Ewing and Robinson, possibly better. The latter 3 were not all perfect, they had some deficiencies. Right now, I give D. Howard an A+ for both Defense and Rebounding and a "B" for offense. So why didn't Orlando win the Championship?  It was a competitive thing.  Boston, the Lakers and more recently Dallas had even more total talent on their teams and made the most of it.  Dwight Howard can carry a team to a degree but not totally.  All the truly great Centers, who won Championships, had great talent around them. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Fierce,
    If Dwight Howard came here they would be contending for a title in their first year with him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

They need to land him. They can't allow the Lakers to pull some one sided lame trade and steal 2 more titles while Kobe can play. This is the move they have to make. They don't land him they are doomed for the next 5 years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

I would love to have Dwight in green. In order for this to happen my beloved player Mr. KG has to take a huge pay cut (<10 mil/yr type). Then we will have enough resources to target Dwight. It would be a hell of a team guys, we can dream at least.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

I like our chances if there is no season.  I feel he will either go to us, or stay where he is.  IF there is no season, he cannot go to the lakers.........can't happen!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

In Response to Re: Second thoughts on Dwight Howard:
    I would love to have Dwight in green. In order for this to happen my beloved player Mr. KG has to take a huge pay cut (<10 mil/yr type). Then we will have enough resources to target Dwight. It would be a hell of a team guys, we can dream at least.
    Posted by lhtak

I'd like to see KG and Ray resign for 2.5 each.  They've made over a hundred mil each from basketball.  If their egos can't accept it at this point then they don't care about championships.  Pierce's contract is too much for too long as well however he has learned to be effective with no legs.  It's still going to hamstring the abilities of managment.  But KG and Ray can both do the thing that would help the team most as soon as at the end of this year, and if they don't then they're phonies.  If they do then Howard and Chandler are affordable.  Then they can wait for Austin Rivers rookie contract to run its course before signing him for what he's worth if he's worth it by then.      

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

I don't dig him.  If you watch games he's in - he takes very many plays off even on defense - or just has no idea what he's doing.  Sort of reminds me of Jim Brown blocking.  He's not a 38 Year old Shaq who'll dive onto the floor for a loose ball.  DH should be 100 times better than he is, but everyone tells him he's great and he believes it, why get better.  LJ seems to suffer the same deficiency.  I don't think any team really benefits from guys like that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickFaldo. Show NickFaldo's posts

Doc Rivers Doc signed a 5-year contract extension. That says a lot. He could have signed with the Lakers, but Doc opted to remain a Celtic and showed us he's not afraid to take on the challenge of rebuilding the Celtics. To Celtic fans who don't like Doc, who would you rather have coaching the Celts, Doc Rivers or Mike Brown?
    Posted by Fiercest34

Doc's proven he can rebuild bad teams to around .500. I am one who doesn't like Doc's coaching style. I wouldn't want Mike Brown over Doc, but I would rather have seen Thibs, Adelman, or even McHale give it a try for the rebuilding years.

Or even a top college coach who isn't a jerk like Pitino or PJ Carlesimo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In Response to Second thoughts on Dwight Howard:
      The possibility of adding Dwight Howard to the Celtics, and how to do so, has been discussed here many times (including by me).  I do consider Howard to be clearly the best center in the NBA right now, and I'd love to see the Celtics add him for the right price (or the right deal).   The more I think about it though, the more I think that he's a guy who could be the best player on a loaded championship team (think Kevin Garnett in 2008), but not a guy who'll carry a not-quite-loaded team to a championship (think Hakeem Olajuwon in 1994).   To me, the concern with Howard is that his being the best center in the league now may speak more to the lack of good centers in the NBA today than to Howard's true greatness.  Think about it:  if you could time-warp him back to about 1995, Dwight Howard would only have been about the 5th or 6th best center in the NBA at that time.   Olajuwon, Shaq, David Robinson, probably Patrick Ewing, and maybe Alonzo Mourning (still in his prime then) were all better than Howard.  The two that Howard resembles most were Robinson and Mourning; both were more polished offensively than Howard, and were comparable as defenders and rebounders.  Howard is more athletic than Mourning, but Mourning was just as strong and about 100 times meaner; Robinson had the "nice guy" persona like Howard, but was about 3 inches taller and a more graceful athlete (you could call Dwight a poor man's David Robinson).   None of this changes the fact that Howard is the best center in the NBA today.  I'd still like to see him in Celtic green.  But, I just can't see him putting a team on his shoulders and taking it all the way.  If he somehow comes to Boston and has two or three other All-Stars around him, or goes to the Lakers and has Kobe and Gasol, I like his chances to win a title.  But I don't think he'll get it done with anything less than that in his supporting cast.   Just my opinion... any thoughts?
    Posted by Shamrocks4ever

I have thought this way for a while, and have read with amusement the "we've gotta get Howard" posts.  I think he'd be a fine addition to an existing strong team, but he's not someone I'd decimate the team to aquire and then have to build around.  I've never seen him raise his game in the cutch -- except in the Slam Dunk Competition. :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

They need to land him. They can't allow the Lakers to pull some one sided lame trade and steal 2 more titles while Kobe can play. This is the move they have to make. They don't land him they are doomed for the next 5 years.
    Posted by DFURY13

Unfortunately, it's only the Lakers and the Knicks who will be allowed to pull off absurd "trades".  Just like Gasol to LA from Memphis (Lakers' JV team), Stern is only interested on jacking up LA and NYC as the largest market teams.  He would especially rule against a Boston steal, like the Gasol-for-garbage swap he blessed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Posted by DFURY13

Unfortunately, it's only the Lakers and the Knicks who will be allowed to pull off absurd "trades".  Just like Gasol to LA from Memphis (Lakers' JV team), Stern is only interested on jacking up LA and NYC as the largest market teams.  He would especially rule against a Boston steal, like the Gasol-for-garbage swap he blessed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Some valid concerns, but the Celts should make a run at him anyhow, that's kind of what you do with a player of his caliber. Building through the draft is almost impossible unless you tank it when Tim Duncan comes out (and even that can be a problem as we found out). That means you have to go after the solid free agents

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Spanky's signature line now reads....

"Trolls for your ignore list: 1. "Babe" (Yankee jobber), 2. Yazzer (Theo/Tito hate) 3. BabeParelli (anti-Belichick crusade), 4. Dud n' Pud (anti-Rondo obsessed), 5. Koberulz (childlike Laker doobie)"

Talk about an obsessed troll-jobber... gone viral.  She's now taken her craziness into the Pats and BoSox forums too.

Pud

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

I don't care for Howard, and I don't want the Cs to waste their money on him. He's overpriced.
    Posted by Kirk6

I cannot imagine him in Celtic green... or want him either.

He's a loser.

Pud

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Dwight is a dirty player.  He however prides himself on defense and rebounding. His offensive game improves every year.  If he is on the Celtics we will all love him.  If he is not we will continue to hate him.  Doc stayed here for a reason not to rebuild and make us a .500 team.  There is a plan in place that goes beyond keeping things static. The lockout will keep us waiting to find out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Dwight is a dirty player.  He however prides himself on defense and rebounding. His offensive game improves every year.  If he is on the Celtics we will all love him.  If he is not we will continue to hate him.  Doc stayed here for a reason not to rebuild and make us a .500 team.  There is a plan in place that goes beyond keeping things static. The lockout will keep us waiting to find out.
    Posted by concord27

You're right about our attitude towards Howard depending on where he is.  But I don't believe Doc and Danny have some secret plan.  Doc is staying because he has a good relationship with the city, with Danny, and with ownership, and trusts that Danny will do what he can/has to do, with no outcome guarantees.  Any coach will stay anywhere where those things are in place.  More coaches are fired than quit.  And those who quit usually have issues (like Larry Brown).  Don't read anything other than a comfortable work situation into Doc's contract. The upside for us is that he's a terrific coach.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

The Cs are presently saddled with one underachieving prima donna who believes he  is the face of the franchise.

Why would we grovel to acquire a 2nd.

Is there room for two? I think not.

Pud

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

The Cs are presently saddled with one underachieving prima donna who believes he  is the face of the franchise. Why would we grovel to acquire a 2nd. Is there room for two? I think not. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

What's your problem?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Second thoughts on Dwight Howard : What's your problem?
    Posted by Number6Fan

Beats me. What's yours?

Pud

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Pud:

Sorry. Didn't mean to sound so combative.  But everyone here knows you dislike Rondo.  That's your right whether or not many disagree.  But you seem to bring your every contribution to this board back to that one point.  That kind of makes you a one-trick pony and your posts rapidly get uninteresting.  Since we seem to be rid of the Laker Gang, I'm suggesting we all move on and get out of the various ruts we've gotten ourselves into.

cheers --

Sections
Shortcuts