Second thoughts on Dwight Howard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Re: Second thoughts on Dwight Howard

In Response to Re: Second thoughts on Dwight Howard:
    Pud: Sorry. Didn't mean to sound so combative.  But everyone here knows you dislike Rondo.  That's your right whether or not many disagree.  But you seem to bring your every contribution to this board back to that one point.  That kind of makes you a one-trick pony and your posts rapidly get uninteresting.  Since we seem to be rid of the Laker Gang, I'm suggesting we all move on and get out of the various ruts we've gotten ourselves into. cheers --
    Posted by Number6Fan

Cheers to that.

Also, the sky doesn't stand or fall because of where Howard goes.  However, the team that gets him will be getting a defense first all-star level player at the center spot for the next 5 years. Personally it would only take the first game he dives on the floor for me to like him as a Celtic.  The offensive chemistry between him and Rondo might take a minute, but he can finish at the rim unlike Perk and something like Shaq.  And we all saw what Rondo made out of having a center who could gobble up passes and finish well during the first half of last year.

I agree that neither Rondo nor Howard are "the one" to be the special difference maker that results in championships.  But those two along with a little leprechaun help in getting one of the future stars over the course of the next couple years could make the Celts a legit heavyweight going forward.  Who will that be?  I don't know.  Austin Rivers?  If he continues to progress as a rising star we'll be thinking that way in a year from now, with or without Howard.     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

How Important is a Center???   if thats an important position, name 3 centers that can be all pro.... if center isnt important except for a rebound or 2 then lets get the guy that was traded to OKC.....hes average but usable..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Pud: Sorry. Didn't mean to sound so combative.  But everyone here knows you dislike Rondo.  That's your right whether or not many disagree.  But you seem to bring your every contribution to this board back to that one point.  That kind of makes you a one-trick pony and your posts rapidly get uninteresting.  Since we seem to be rid of the Laker Gang, I'm suggesting we all move on and get out of the various ruts we've gotten ourselves into. cheers --
    Posted by Number6Fan

I don't like DH. Its really that simple.

He does not play Celtic type of basketball. The Cs (or whoever wins his affection) will have to kiss his prima donna azz to lure him to their team.

Being a very long time Celtic fan, I'm not into kissing azz.

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Fleshing out my thoughts on Superman and his larger-than-life game, I see him very much following in the footsteps of other egomaniacal crybabies (Jabbar, Wilt) who have journeyed to LA to find additional fame and fortune wearing purple/gold.

That's where he will likely end up... as he should.

Its been pre-ordained by the basketball gods.

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Number Six,
    Thanks for your comments but I  don't agree Doc and DAnny decided to extend their partnership another five years without assurances some major new signings are coming in the next couple of years.

I firmly believe Doc is here to serve as a magnet for some of the best players to come and sign here.  Of course I could be wrong and disappointed with this belief.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Number Six, Thanks for your comments but I  don't agree Doc and DAnny decided to extend their partnership another five years without assurances some major new signings are coming in the next couple of years. I firmly believe Doc is here to serve as a magnet for some of the best players to come and sign here.  Of course I could be wrong and disappointed with this belief.
    Posted by concord27

If so, all the better.  I'm just not going to hold my breathe.  I'm sure Danny had a good plan in place when  he orchestrated the mid-season trades last winter.  It's just that things don't always work out as planned.  We started the year with more centers than could ever need, and we ended it with half a center.  Kind of like the Sox' pitching this year. :-)

cheers --

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Number Six,
    You are so right the Red Sox pitching looked like it was the equal of the Phillies when the season started. What a collapse.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I remember Perkins playing good against Howard.

I don't believe that Boston should rule themselves out signing Howard. They need to aggressively go after quality free agents. Not guys towards the end of their careers. Thinking the Wilkins era Celtics here.

Playing with Garnett would improve Howards attitude. He really doesn't have that killer instinct that guys like Duncan, Shaq, Kareem and Russell had.

I didn't include Robinson in this list as Howard reminds me of Robinson. Robinson needed the right sort of player outside of him on the court. Robinson would have been labeled a loser before Duncan arrived which is unfair. The Spurs were still a good team prior to Duncan.

Orlando is a good to very good team. They've made the NBA finals with Howard. Which says to me that Howard isn't that far off. He just needs the right team mates around him. Nobody wins the NBA title on their own. They can influence the game but they need the right 4 people around them. Surround Howard with these people and he's winning championships.

The right people for Howard and a mental adjustment to his game. He shouldn't be afraid of hurting people, it's a hard physical game. And he is playing in the most demanding spot on the court.

I'd be more than happy to have him in LA. Boston should be more than happy to have him in their team.

Said it before though. I'd like to have him stay in Orlando and have them find the right mix for Dwight. And a team to really give Miami a lot of trouble.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

How Important is a Center???   if thats an important position, name 3 centers that can be all pro.... if center isnt important except for a rebound or 2 then lets get the guy that was traded to OKC.....hes average but usable..
    Posted by fishers5

Depends on who the Centre is.

Comparing the skill sets of Perkins and Howard is like comparing chalk to cheese. Howard is a quality player. I'd have traded Perkins for Green as well. Green has a great upside and I think will improve dramatically in his first full season in Boston.

If Boston had Howard they'd more than likely change the way they play. To have him and Rondo together will ensure Boston are competitive for a very long time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I think you brought up some great points and comparisons.......each decade or era defines itself in one way or another....
    Posted by Duke4

I think you're right that there's a big difference between eras, but in comparison to the people who would be guarding and be guarded by, Howard has an even bigger advantage.  Olajuwon, Shaq, Mourning, and Robinson had to compete with each other.  Who in the league today can match up with Howard one-on-one?  Bynum?  Maybe, but other than Bynum, nobody's on Howard's level or even close to it.

Imagine if someone locked him in a gym until he learned three go-to post moves and a free throw shot?

Not only is Howard so much better than almost any other big man in the league today, but he can't go to the Lakers so they can steal another two championships.  I'd rather see a lockout

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Howard would be gold providing he has supporting cast and that it is a totally rounded team effort.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shamrocks4ever. Show Shamrocks4ever's posts

In Response to Re: Second thoughts on Dwight Howard : I think you're right that there's a big difference between eras, but in comparison to the people who would be guarding and be guarded by, Howard has an even bigger advantage.  Olajuwon, Shaq, Mourning, and Robinson had to compete with each other.  Who in the league today can match up with Howard one-on-one?  Bynum?  Maybe, but other than Bynum, nobody's on Howard's level or even close to it. Imagine if someone locked him in a gym until he learned three go-to post moves and a free throw shot? Not only is Howard so much better than almost any other big man in the league today, but he can't go to the Lakers so they can steal another two championships.  I'd rather see a lockout
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

If I was Orlando, there's no way I would trade Howard for Bynum.  Bynum's almost as good as Howard, but his knees are a time bomb... most likely Orlando would be giving up 10 good years of Howard's future for 10 years or less of Bynum being in and out of their lineup with injuries.  The Magic would do better getting Gasol in return for Howard.  He's older, but not ancient, and injuries haven't been a problem for him.  He has maybe 5 years of high-level play left in him, and it's reasonable to believe he'll stay healthy for most of that time.  Bynum, on the other hand, seems to have the durability of guys like Sam Bowie and Bill Walton.  Just can't count on him over the long run.

Sections
Shortcuts