Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball

In Response to Re: Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball:
    We'll see today how he'll preform against nba's "best".
    Posted by MichBelgium

Not sure if youre being serious but this is certainly not the NBAs best, except for Durrant.  Looking at their ages, its pretty much a college team of NBA players and none of our best showed up, exceppt KD.  In fact, nobody from the Olympic  team is on this team.

I was thinking if we only had Dwight Howard, how much more imporved this team would be. Lamar Odam at forward? Could you the Lakers playing the season with Lamar as the starting center? Guess we'll see how it works out against Turkey today, who has a pretty big front line.

On enote, Kevin Durrant keeps distancing himself (in a good way) from Lebron. A humble superstar at a very young age that keeps getting it done. Has brought his team to almost knock off the Lakers in the playoffs and now is clearly DA MAN on this fiba team. If they win gold, Durrant is in the conversation with anybody in the NBA...in fact, he's already the fan favorite for how he carrys himself.  Lebron should be taking notes although I doubt it would sink in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

This U.S team isn't all of the NBA's best players but they are many of the NBA's best young up and coming players along with a few vets with championship rings such as Chauncy and Odom. Chauncy is a former allstar and NBA finals MVP. Odom is a good player on a championship team. Many of the young players are already stars with one being one of the leagues best in Durant.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

In Response to Re: Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball : The problem with Perk is his fingers are the size of a 2 year old...........they should call him stump.........
    Posted by damfuno

Muahahahahaha.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

It will be interesting to see how Erden performs in the next game.  I watched the Turkiye vs. Srbija game today on NBA TV, which was an exciting game.  I haven't seen Erden play too much, but he does look to have a scoring touch (puts the ball right up, doesn't dance with it but attacks the rim), he can block shots, he has an NBA body, and he can rebound ok for a 7-footer.  He seems to make plays at crucial points in the game, and that says something about his confidence too.  I think he could surprise a little bit, but it's hard to see him getting time over Shaq, J.O. and Perk when healthy.  Not a bad developmental guy.  If he contributes this year, all the better.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Erden played a nice game. He looks somewhat promising. He's still young ...

Nba's best. Well I think that team could beat any other nba team.... Guys like granger, chauncey, durant, gay,... aren't they around the best of the NBA? Because my list of good nba players is bigger then just Kobe, Lebron, Dwight, Paul, Wade, Durant... And it's not that they would send big baby or luke walton

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

I liked his game.  He is BIG!!  Nice moves around the hoop, not great defensively, but not bad,either.  FT shooting.............not too impressed.  Good left-handed move down low, and muscled his way in the paint.
    Hope he plays well in camp!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

In Response to Re: Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball : The problem with Perk is his fingers are the size of a 2 year old...........they should call him stump..........
    Posted by damfuno

Love it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

In Response to Re: Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball : Love it!
    Posted by KB24RULZ

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Erden sure played considerably better during this tournament as compared to the NBA summer league. It's good for the C's because it raised his stock in the NBA considerably. A few weeks ago he didn't have much value in the NBA, but I think this tournament changed that. 
        The C's can use Erden along with another one or 2 expiring contracts in a few monts or so to make that trade for a strong backup for Pierce that most of us have been talking so much about.
         Erden is only 20 or 21 years old and he's a 7 footer who appears to have some upside. That's pretty good value in the NBA. Remember, a lot of NBA G.M's watched this tournament and saw Erden play.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Re: Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball :
    Posted by BaileyPowe

Love it!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

Give me harangody!Erden probably seemed like a good project at the time, but he will get eaten alive in the NBA. He just sort of walks around on offense. There was no fire. If he happens to walk to the front of the rim he could score and get some boards. Not impressed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Give me harangody!Erden probably seemed like a good project at the time, but he will get eaten alive in the NBA. He just sort of walks around on offense. There was no fire. If he happens to walk to the front of the rim he could score and get some boards. Not impressed.
    Posted by existentialparquet

I do agree that if he can't get fired up playing for his country, when will he?  He definitely has skills, a scoring touch and shot blocking seem to be there.  But for a 7-footer, he certainly doesn't always rebound like one.  Put it this way, I think I feel better about him as a prospect now that I've seen him play, but to me, he is a journeyman NBA center at best.     

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

Given the roster I think it makes much more sense to give harangody the spot. harangody has a much more balanced game and way more fire.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In Response to Re: Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball : Not sure if youre being serious but this is certainly not the NBAs best, except for Durrant.  Looking at their ages, its pretty much a college team of NBA players and none of our best showed up, exceppt KD.  In fact, nobody from the Olympic  team is on this team. I was thinking if we only had Dwight Howard, how much more imporved this team would be. Lamar Odam at forward? Could you the Lakers playing the season with Lamar as the starting center? Guess we'll see how it works out against Turkey today, who has a pretty big front line. On enote, Kevin Durrant keeps distancing himself (in a good way) from Lebron. A humble superstar at a very young age that keeps getting it done. Has brought his team to almost knock off the Lakers in the playoffs and now is clearly DA MAN on this fiba team. If they win gold, Durrant is in the conversation with anybody in the NBA...in fact, he's already the fan favorite for how he carrys himself.  Lebron should be taking notes although I doubt it would sink in.
    Posted by Karllost

As much as I dislike the Lakers,  I am a fan of basketball,  and was truly impressed & did root for Bynum in the FIBA world championship game yesterday as next to Durant's 28 he was the highest scorer with 15 but more than that his overall play was tremendously beneficial in our country's victory. He was as influential as Gasol---well, maybe Gasol more so as I don't think their MVP Kobe was outstanding in NBA's Game 7 while Durant was truly a superstar in these games---in our USA victory.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kivanc. Show kivanc's posts

In Response to Re: Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball : A s much as I dislike the Lakers,  I am a fan of basketball,  and was truly impressed & did root for Bynum in the FIBA world championship game yesterday as next to Durant's 28 he was the highest scorer with 15 but more than that his overall play was tremendously beneficial in our country's victory. He was as influential as Gasol---well, maybe Gasol more so as I don't think their MVP Kobe was outstanding in NBA's Game 7 while Durant was truly a superstar in these games---in our USA victory.
    Posted by mandobello

His name is Lamar Odom. Bynum is the younger one.
    Odom usually played well enough in the championship, but I believe Coach K is definitely underrating Kevin Love's talent. Even at that stage of their careers (Love has much to improve), he is a better all around player than Odom. I would have given him 25 mpg in the World championship.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In Response to Re: Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball : His name is Lamar Odom. Bynum is the younger one. Odom usually played well enough in the championship, but I believe Coach K is definitely underrating Kevin Love's talent. Even at that stage of their careers (Love has much to improve), he is a better all around player than Odom. I would have given him 25 mpg in the World championship.
    Posted by kivanc

Maybe as a Septuagenarian, I may have to admit I'm getting a bit older. Yes, Mea Culpa, it was Lamar Odom.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I'm bumping this thread now that we've actually had a chance to see Erden play outside of FIBA rules.  I know it's only one preseason game, but he looks like he has "it".  He can pass, block shots, and his offensive touch is better than expected.  I think he will contribute early on, and if he can acclimate his game to the NBA this team has 4 legit 7-footers and a 6'-10" bull in Perk. 

Any thoughts after seeing him play tonight?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kivanc. Show kivanc's posts

Semih definitely surprised me. I had not expect that much from him. I know it's only one preseason game, but I'm glad he started like that. Good for him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

Semih Erden is a rookie in the NBA but in international competition he's a veteran. He's only going to get better as the season progresses. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

after watching him in worlds i thought he would be terrible. much better last night. played much more quickly and w more conviction. secured a roster spot.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Very impressive debut for Erden. He has that lean and hungry look to him. Hope he can step out and take a charge. (It was nice to see RR reward the big guy for running the floor with an easy basket, BTW.)

Thinking back, I got all excited about Patrick OBryant a few years ago as the long awaited legit 7 footer to replace the Chief... only to find out that POB was lazy as sin. Another POB? Don't think so. This kid has no such baggage That I can find.

Sadly, if Perk had not been hurt, Erden would likely still be languishing over in Europe. And I LOVED his FT shooting!!!! Perfect form.

And no scowls all night from our centers!

Pud

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

getting something (anything) when your expecting nothing out of the last man on the bench, is incredible. This team is stacked!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenpride32. Show greenpride32's posts

Erden did have a nice stat line last night, but he also showed a bunch of flaws.  Doesn't have a good coordindation, and lost out on some loose balls that he got to first.  Let's keep in mind he played most of his minutes against the 76ers second unit or worse.

I'm still not sold on him until he can perform when it really counts.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Erden did have a nice stat line last night, but he also showed a bunch of flaws.  Doesn't have a good coordindation, and lost out on some loose balls that he got to first.  Let's keep in mind he played most of his minutes against the 76ers second unit or worse. I'm still not sold on him until he can perform when it really counts.
    Posted by greenpride32

He's better than most 2nd round picks. Would you pick Derrick Caracter over Semih Erden right now?

Sections
Shortcuts