Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball

Semih Erden racked up 18-points, 12-boards, 3-assists, and 3-blocks today, in a FIBA World Championship game versus China. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/fiba/boxscore?gameId=300904940

Pretty good stats for an up and coming player. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Re: Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball

Not bad for coming of the bench....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

It's a toss up between Harangody and Erden for the 12th spot on the roster.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Harrangody sure out played Erden during the summer league. To be accurate, Erden stunk up the court during summer league. I hope he shows more potential during the pre-season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenSlime. Show GreenSlime's posts

Erden is a stiff.  China---puleezzzee---without Yao they are nothing.  Let's see how he does against real competition.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kivanc. Show kivanc's posts

I'm Turkish; I've been following Semih and Turkish Basketball League for more than 5 years. I guess I have a lot of info about him, and I'll be happy to share.
    First of all, I was not happy when I heard that Celtics had drafted him. He is fundamentally very limited. He makes the silliest turnovers you can ever imagine, his ball-handling is somehow worse than Perk (though he's not a hands-of-stone like him)
    The worst part is he does not really know how to play good defense. But here he came to a team from which he can learn the schemes the best. Hope he can catch some things from KG, and I really think he will. But I do not think he will be able to contribute, and guess be waived.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Clifford Ray likes these types of projects. He is the best big-man coach in the league.

I also think Semih Erden is one of those players that plays up to the level of his competition.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

In Response to Re: Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball:
    [QUOTE]Clifford Ray likes these types of projects. He is the best big-man coach in the league. I also think Semih Erden is one of those players that plays up to the level of his competition.
    Posted by BCSP[/QUOTE]
      He sure didn't play up to the level of competition during summer league. However he's now signed and will get a chance to further show his skills or lack of them. Since he's now a Celtic, I hope he plays much better than he did during summer league.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenpride32. Show greenpride32's posts

Erden looked awful in the SL and the only thing that may keep him around the NBA for a few years is his height.  Oguz Savas and Omer Asik also had good statlines in that game against China; so does that make them NBA material?

Signings of JON and Shaq make Erden irrelevant, and it will be even more so when Perk returns.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kivanc. Show kivanc's posts

Oguz Savas and Omer Asik (actually Oğuz Savaş and Ömer Aşık) are better players than Semih Erden, they always have been.
    Oguz Savas has a good body, is 6'11", plays center and has very soft hands - can shoot like Kevin Garnett.
    Ömer Aşık is a 7 footer, defends well, and an exceptional shot blocker.
    These are the specialities of those two big men.
    Semih Erden is a 7 footer and that's it. There is not one single thing he can do well enough.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from international. Show international's posts

Well i just found out where is the Dudder.He is in turkey.Omer asik an exceptional shootblocker?Erden and Asik are even in skills and are about the same age,height and talent the prove is in the games they play 19 minutes erden and 20 osik.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Give Semih Erden a year with Clifford Ray. If he does not improve, his mediocre play will validate comments that he lacks what it takes to be an NBA player. If he does improve, it validates the theory that he needed a knowledgeable mentor.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

Clifford Ray is the best big-man coach in the NBA?

Hmmmm?? Per is what now, a five year veteran? And still has hands of stone.

As a kid, I had lousy hands.

To rectify that, I spent hundred of hours catching a football bouncing off our garage roof; and had whoever was willing to, throw football bullets at me such that if I missed the ball my nose would be broken. 

I went from lousy hands to pretty decent hands.

If I can do that, Perk, a professional athlete, should have this down in a month.

Let the boys bring out their inner Tom Brady and get Perk's hands working.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kivanc. Show kivanc's posts

[QUOTE]Well i just found out where is the Dudder.He is in turkey.Omer asik an exceptional shootblocker?Erden and Asik are even in skills and are about the same age,height and talent the prove is in the games they play 19 minutes erden and 20 osik.
    Posted by international[/QUOTE]

Well, that was not wise.
    They are not even in skills, if you think so I really doubt you even watched the games. Their mpg does not count, Bogdan Tanjevic rotates his players way too much.

And I've been knowing the guys for years, watched more than 100 games of them in Turkish Basketball League and Euroleague. What information do you have about them that I don't?

After the season starts, you'll notice that Omer Asik will be able to contribute for the Bulls, while Semih will be our new Scalabrine.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball : Well, that was not wise. They are not even in skills, if you think so I really doubt you even watched the games. Their mpg does not count, Bogdan Tanjevic rotates his players way too much. And I've been knowing the guys for years, watched more than 100 games of them in Turkish Basketball League and Euroleague. What information do you have about them that I don't? After the season starts, you'll notice that Omer Asik will be able to contribute for the Bulls, while Semih will be our new Scalabrine.
    Posted by kivanc[/QUOTE]
    He's behind KG, Davis, both O'Neals and Perk.  Think he can fill that role?  He will probably be in the D-League most of the year.  We understand he is a project, and we may not need him at all this year.  Hope he develops into a better player than you seem to think he is.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYCelt. Show NYCelt's posts

We all know that sometimes a team goes out on a limb and drafts a long-shot project when there's really no one else available to fill specific needs.  That fairly well sums up the Erden pick.  We took a shot with a pick way down where most players selected don't stick; a good spot to gamble.  My guess is he won't be wearing a Celtics uniform when the season opens and never will.

Regards

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball : The problem with Perk is his fingers are the size of a 2 year old...........they should call him stump..........that is why he always had to bring the ball down and clap his hands around the ball to get as good a grip as he can........he should put his fingers on the finger rack and stretch em over the summer.......that can be part of his rehab
    Posted by damfuno[/QUOTE]
       Perk just has a bad habit with the ball when he's under the basket or poor fundamentals, whatever someone wants to call it. He tends to dribble the ball for no reason before shooting it while under the basket. While doing it he also brings the ball down rather than keeping it up high. Tommy Heinsohn comments on it a lot.
      Perk should watch some old tapes of Kevin McHale or Bill Walton who were great with their under the basket fundamentals of keeping the ball high.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball :    Perk just has a bad habit with the ball when he's under the basket or poor fundamentals, whatever someone wants to call it. He tends to dribble the ball for no reason before shooting it while under the basket. While doing it he also brings the ball down rather than keeping it up high. Tommy Heinsohn comments on it a lot.   Perk should watch some old tapes of Kevin McHale or Bill Walton who were great with their under the basket fundamentals of keeping the ball high.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

perkins has me baffled.  he looked like a really servicable center through the first half of last year- 13, 10 and 2 with even some <gulp /> development noticable in his inside post game and ball skills that you mention. 

and then... he went absolutely stinko.  i think we saw the best he will ever be for those 35 games or so last season and he will struggle to be 2/3 of that ever again now that his knee got two rubber bands snapped in it.  if he buffs his fundamentals out and manages to shoot free throws 70% he might be an ok 2nd string center.  like tony battie type stuff (the numbers anyway).

but perk was on average, barely a passable center with 3 HOF players on the floor to get him easy looks on doubles, etc.  after this year we start needing more and more from the 1,4, 5 in the winter of kg's career.  i don't think perk has it.  let him prove it to us that he has anything left after this injury.

big guys do not do well with this injury.  lumbering big guys do even worse.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

re acie:

Agreed.  Perk got injured and regressed on the offensive end of the floor.  Or something.  I mean you don't get good at something and then stop being good at it.  I don't like the way the Celtics management handled the PR for the team last season.  Very Bellichickian if you ask me.  The injuries were underreported and it made KG look like a yo-yo.  I actually questioned his heart and his gamesmanship and wondered if it wasn't just the refs who are on the take.  I didn't know Perk's ACL was holding on by a thread.  I saw him wearing compression leggings one time all season and it was during the beginning of the championship.

One thing tho:  I can't stand a big man who doesnt know his own abitities.  Perk is a legendary gym rat.  I mean the guy LIKES the sound of ripping muscles and iron plates clanging.  As someone else mentioned, given all the time with Clifford Ray Perk has had, I would think some bad habits could be broken.  I play power forward at 5-9.  I'm a terrible shooter so I play low, back to the basket.  The only reason I can get away with it is because i keep my hands up.  Doesn't always work out well, but I get my share of tip ins and fallaways.  Perk had that one move he was developing from the post turning left into the paint for a fade shot (he only fades about 2 inches, but all you need is to get it over the fingers of an off balance defender.)  That shot all but disappeared from his repertoire. half-way through the season.  etc

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I'm going to watching the final game of the FIBA finals game. I'll be keeping my eye on Erden. I watched him play about 5 minutes today vs. Serbia. I'm glad to say he played better than he did during the NBA summer league. He made some good passes while playing the post position.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Please remember he is our fourth center, fourth power forward, and a project for the future.  He is a luxury not many other teams have!

When is that game, btw?  I'd be curious to see how he does against Chandler and Odom.  Not too well, probably..........but I'd like to see anyway.

Info on the game?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Please remember he is our fourth center, fourth power forward, and a project for the future.  He is a luxury not many other teams have! When is that game, btw?  I'd be curious to see how he does against Chandler and Odom.  Not too well, probably..........but I'd like to see anyway. Info on the game?
    Posted by BirdandCowens[/QUOTE]

Sunday 2:30pm ET.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Semih Erden 2010 FIBA World Basketball : Sunday 2:30pm ET.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Thanks

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

We'll see today how he'll preform against nba's "best".

Sections
Shortcuts