Shaq and JO worth it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: Shaq and JO worth it?

I dont buy that argument at all...about being better off with Perk than JON.

Perk has been doing alot less with OKC than he did when healthy with us... and thats pretty bad.  I watched him last night and he rarely boxes out, gets easily out jumped for rebounds and doesnt move well... I watched him for several stretches and I didnt see much that would make me miss him at all.

At least JON competes, blocks shots & intimidates shots... can hit short range jumpers & FTs.... gets as many boards as Perk in less PT... 

Only problem with JON in the playoffs is his PT...Doc pulls him out for long stetches..dont know if its health related or what.

Shaq looks spent... hes never healed up since the Pistons game... where he looked really good.

The gamble on his health backfired. Although Perk is not a savior, he was missed  as a backup center that could have given up 20 mins+ and let BBD come off the bench as a 4.

WHo'd have thought Kristic wouldnt see any minutes after he first got here? DOc just buried the guy on the bench.... who even when he played earlier in the playoffs and late season, was a bundle of nerves looking over his shoulder waiting for Doc to scream at him  and pull him out

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The Celtics made a terrible mistake it has now been revealed no more speculation.  Now we know as we watch a bench do little(West excluded and Green to an extent).  This team could not do it without a bench that spelled rest for the starters.  Shaq was worth the 1 million salary for half a season but to trade five members of the roster away at mid season was too hard a thing to come back from.

I thank the Celtics for four wonderful years.  But we blew our best shot at trying to win it in the end. Imagine letting Tony Allen go and spending 11 million on JO. Despite his noble return. Big Baby who played well all year and then to disappear before our eyes.  Tell me Nate Robinson who played poorly all year would not have helped against the Heat the last four games.

It is revisionist history but unavoidable now.  We squandered our last best chance and now unless we get a miracle we have rebuilding to look forward to. As I said it was a great ride! And by the way I do hope for a miracle. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq and JO worth it?:
    In Response to Re: Shaq and JO worth it? : i agree that it was absolutely stupid to let the guy who flustered lebron to pieces last year (and kobe) just walk away over a million or two.  TA was younger and athletic.  That's what the team is missing.
    Posted by aciemvp

They didn't let him walk.  the money was the same from both teams.  He went to a team that he felt he would get more minutes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Thank God that we don't have to pay Perkins new contract.  He has been a disaster since he got the money.  He is hurting but totally unproductive.

Last night he was  0 Pts.  --  2 Rebs.  --  3 T/O's  --  3 PF's  --  1 Technical Foul  --  28 Scowls  --  in the 1st half.  Finished the game with 4 Pts.  --  8 rebs.  --  in 3 over-times.

Even if he were healthy for his whole contract, his lack of "O" skills, and mental lapses, bad hands, and ability to control his emotions, would drive you nuts.

Age and health can't be controlled.  We gambled with age, and we lost.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rman0909. Show rman0909's posts

Perk alone would not have made the difference but he still was the defensive in the middle and along with KG they would have been toughter to beat.

Now Perk coming back, a healthy Shaq, and JON would have made this Celtics team unstoppable.

If only the Celts signed another wingman besides Marquis. He was injury proned (178 games mised in the last 6 years)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

They got them through the season at Center.  Shaq was so much fun to watch during the regular season and now JO is playing better than expected.  They wouldn't have gotten this far without those guys, so yea - totally worth it.  And if you eat at Northstar in Boston near the Garden you can order a Shaq burger with is pretty cool in my book.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I don't think Shaq AND JO were worth it.  I do believe JO was worth it but Shaq definitely not.  I say that because we play for the rings and that is where we need their contributions.  I think with Semih and Baby and KG playing minutes in the center spot for the first half of the regular season, we still could have stayed in playoff contention -- probably 1st place in the division.

Then we would have gotten Perk back and teaming him with Semih would have been sufficient until JO returned.  I am not so sure Semih could not have played the entire season with his shoulder although Cleveland decided to get him to have surgery.  I think a 3 headed center trio in the playoffs of JO, Perk and Semih would have been good enough (and seeing that the Lakers and Orlando are out, hindsight is 20/20).

Shaq's primary purpose was to battle with Dwight and Bynum but with them both out, seems we never really needed that distraction.

I honestly believe losing Tony Allen is as much a significant loss as losing Perk.

But if I could make decisions today based on what I know will happen in the future, I'd be a very smart man.  Oh well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

Back in February, I posted that if the Celtics had Shaq they would win the title. Otherwise, it was a 50/50 proposition.

And here we are...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

Did you notice how much fatter Shaq was? You don't sit Shaq since january and him eating cheeseburgers without exercise and expect him to be your savior. What is happening to your Celtics is definitely worse than what happened to the Lakers.
    Posted by lakersavenger

You smoke more peyote than Phil Jackson does. Undecided

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from eferagne. Show eferagne's posts

Perk alone would not have made the difference but he still was the defensive in the middle and along with KG they would have been toughter to beat. Now Perk coming back, a healthy Shaq, and JON would have made this Celtics team unstoppable. If only the Celts signed another wingman besides Marquis. He was injury proned (178 games mised in the last 6 years)
    Posted by rman0909

I disagree... I thinkk JO is more athletic and defends laterally much better than Perk... if youre talking phyiscal then yes but overall JO seems much better defensively.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Its doubtful if Semi was 80% healthy he would have even seen action against the Heat. The guy was raw and not very good... maybe in a couple years he improves but he wasnt an answer to anything.

Shaq going down is our undoing..plain & simple. He made a difference and we played great with him getting 20 mins a game.

Thats it in a nutshell imo....

If we still had Perk and not Green, would we be better off?? Hard to really know I dont think so

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

This green deal was not about this year, but next year and beyond.  Ainge sacrificed  some depth and certainty this year for more options next year.  Perk was gone next year either way, and by the trade, now we have the options of green and the extra 1st round pick to get younger.  Green WILL be a good fit for this team next year, once he has time to continue to learn the system and gain better chemistry.  The big question to me is if they resign Big Baby now that they have green.  I would rather have green than davis I think.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

I don't think Shaq AND JO were worth it.  I do believe JO was worth it but Shaq definitely not.  I say that because we play for the rings and that is where we need their contributions.  I think with Semih and Baby and KG playing minutes in the center spot for the first half of the regular season, we still could have stayed in playoff contention -- probably 1st place in the division. Then we would have gotten Perk back and teaming him with Semih would have been sufficient until JO returned.  I am not so sure Semih could not have played the entire season with his shoulder although Cleveland decided to get him to have surgery.  I think a 3 headed center trio in the playoffs of JO, Perk and Semih would have been good enough (and seeing that the Lakers and Orlando are out, hindsight is 20/20). Shaq's primary purpose was to battle with Dwight and Bynum but with them both out, seems we never really needed that distraction. I honestly believe losing Tony Allen is as much a significant loss as losing Perk. But if I could make decisions today based on what I know will happen in the future, I'd be a very smart man.  Oh well.
    Posted by Petey62

Sorry, but I had to stop at your first paragraph. Have you watched Baby this year? Kevin can't go back to back games. Semih? Really? We had the best record in the league when Shaq was healthy. Who would have backed up Paul? MD was hurt and gone. Who would we have built around in the future? Can you just imagine an offensive line-up with Perkins, Rondo, BBD and Tony Allen? Where do you people come from?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Hindsight is always 20/20.
    Had DA not made the Perk trade, our final record  would have been a few games better (no post trade depression) and our inside defense would have been more solid.  Probably less getting pushed around by Miami with Perk around.
    Scoring off the bench?  Probably the same, maybe a little worse.  Green's got talent, but he's not there now to the degree that all of us were hoping for.  Not a gamechanger yet.
    No trade, we have homecourt advantage and Miami walking on their tiptoes more. Our chances against Miami would have been better, IMHO.

But we'll never know. 
    Hoping for a miracle in Miami for game 5.
    Haven't caught sight of the fat lady yet. 

Sections
Shortcuts