Shaq as 6th man?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Re: Shaq as 6th man?

Very good thought! I agree...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/08/11/shaqs_visit_to_doc_rivers_was_right_medicine/

According to the linked story, Doc has already made it clear to Shaq that he might not start.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

I say give shaq the 1st and 3rd quarters and let jermaine o'neal finish games.  does anyone remembah the latter days of robert parish?  he started the 1st and 3rd and that was about it. 

jerlame, assuming he is not hobbled, is younger and should be our finisher.  who cares who starts really, but shak is the best option just because you need the best FT% and legs (age) to finish the games, no?

or do we play shak the 2nd and 3rd quarters and let jerlame tighten up and go cold on the bench.  i don't see how starting JO'N makes any sense unless you are going to hack the 5 minutes up at 6 minute intervals straight through the game- but then you end up with shak finishing the 4th quarter.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinnacle10. Show pinnacle10's posts

JO plays the first 7 minutes and last 7 minutes of each half.  That way he starts and finishes, plays about 28 minutes giving Shaq about 20 minutes.  Likely they'll play together some and on certain nights (Orlando) Shaq will play a lot more minutes and on other nights he'll play less.  But it's a guideline to a set rotation that makes sense. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq as 6th man?:
    JO agreed to sign with the Celtics because they promised him the starting C job. That's not gonna change even with the signing of Shaq. 
    Posted by Fierce34

And that philosophy will prove to be incredibly stupid

Shaq needs to play all his minutes alongside KG, quite simply they are perfect for each other, be in 12 or 20, All MINUTES HAVE TO BE WITH KG

He won't close the tight games b/c of FT shooting, so KG and J. O'Neal can

But Baby and Jermaine O'Neal are a perfect bench frontcourt that complement one another

You cannot have shaq with Baby, and Shaq w/ JON is poor too b/c unlike KG he is not quite as money from 17-19 feet and will not recover on d w/ the pick and role as well

Shaq should start if it means he plays all his mins w/ KG

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

Wasn't JErmaine a PF when he first came in ot the league ? Is he too slow to still be one now ? Taht would apepar to be the perfect usage for him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

I hope Perk can  come back at full strength.   Logjam at the five.  Nice problem.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RondoIsHustle. Show RondoIsHustle's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq as 6th man? : You really think JO would have come to Boston if Ainge told him they want him to backup Shaq?  There's a reason why JO didn't sign with Denver and Dallas.
    Posted by Fierce34

I believe that is right JO will start,DA told him that he would start and that isnt gonna change.

But i also think that Shaq it´s a better fit to start along KG.

Now that´s a problem for Doc.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

I believe that the starting center spot is still up for grabs.

I think that the spot will be determine by how well the O'Neals play during training camp and pre season.

On paper I would prefer to see Shaq begin the game because JON brings more flexibility with his ability to play the 4/5 positions on the floor.  In that regards he could rotate in the game for either Shaq or KG.

But I think this is simply speculative on my part.

But it will be very interesting to see how both of them fit into this team that has never had a real scoring threat at the 5.

dboss

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAkeravenger. Show LAkeravenger's posts

I predict Shaquille O'Bese will be a divisive figure once he gets a feel of that bench his fat behind will be sitting on. People prone to obesity find it supremely more difficult to stop the burgeoning poundage, especiaily as you near forty. So, if anything, your newfound hero will be even fatter by January. After you keltic fans get a load of his freethrow clunkers, inability to get up the court and his bitchin about playing time, you're all going to be clamoring to trade Jumbo by the trade deadline for anything.   Look at the size of his head. The man is clinically obese.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Options. Versatility. That's why Shaq was brought in. It will depend on the situation as to who is used at what time. Doc is very intelligent and I trust in his ability to make decisions regarding personnel.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from remme6. Show remme6's posts

I trust Doc too. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know when it comes to this stuff. He has the ring, I don't. I just think from a quality standpoint you'd get the best out of Shaq at this stage in his career if you did that (he as the 6th man) the same way they did it with Walton back in the mid 80's. Neither could take a lot of minutes but get quality ones from them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq as 6th man? : http://bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20100810shaquille_oneal_ok_being_a_backup/ I don't think that's very hard to understand.  You recruit somebody and tell him he will be a starter and when the team signs another veteran player you go back on your word? Now that's stupid. O’Neal appreciated Rivers’ honesty during the discussion. The coach made no grand promises, only telling O’Neal there were 20-25 minutes per game of playing time available on a team with only one goal. http://bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20100810shaqs_plan_6_teams_6_titles_in_20_nba_seasons/
    Posted by Fierce34

Doing what is best to wins games is what matters, you can't promise someone they will start if it is not in the teams best interests

Jermaine and KG will play more mins than Shaq so you can finagle it so Shaq comes off the bench and plays all his mins w/ KG. It is just easier to do it that way if Shaq starts, so if Shaq off the bench means he plays with Baby or JON a lot that will be idiotic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Shaq is the 6th and 7th MAN...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Shaq is still one of the top 5 big men in basketball...age and injuries have caught up...but he was their best player in the playoffs last year.  Wanna know why Shaq came here in my mind.  Because he wants to win...which will also stop the 3 in Miami from winning.  Who on Miami can bang with our big guys.  Shaq doesnt like Rupaul so he will bling him around.  Can't wait.  We may not have the best three...but we have the best team in the East. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SuperNtrain. Show SuperNtrain's posts

Best team, yeah I agree with above.

Rondo: PG
    RA: SG
    PP: SF
    Then with PF/C take your pick combo of JO,KG,Shaq,BBD,and eventually a healthy KP for your starting 5, then relegate the other 3 bigs to the bench to play with Nate Robinson? Thats a pretty darn strong starting 5 and a bench that is now an honest 9 deep rotation. Just need one of the other 5 roster spots(Harangody,Wafer,Daniels,Bradley, that other center, forgot his name)to show he can play as well. We just need a one of them to be able to play quality contributing minutes consistently and when the games are big, I'd say a 1 in 5 chance favors that this will happen giving us a true 10 deep team. Thats a very rare luxury, I really can't think of another team that is truely 9-10 deep.......maybe the lakers, but Im not sold on their pickups or even their current starting roster.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RondoIsHustle. Show RondoIsHustle's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq as 6th man? : It is what it is. If Ainge didn't promise JO he would be the starting C do you think he would come to Boston?  If JO didn't sign with the Celtics because he won't be a starter do you think that is best for the team?  If Ainge goes back on his word then no free-agent would ever believe him again.  Shaq and JO have not played a single minute of Celtics basketball, that's why it's premature to assume that Shaq can't play with BBD. 
    Posted by Fierce34

It´s very premature,but i think you´re about JO and DA.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

I'd like to think that the best man, the one who has been working the hardest, being a team player, a positive influence in the locker room, will get the nod, but Doc has proven that is not case. Look no further than the way Sheed was played during the regular season. There was nobody more undeserving of the share of minutes they received than Wallace.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq as 6th man? : It is what it is. If Ainge didn't promise JO he would be the starting C do you think he would come to Boston?  If JO didn't sign with the Celtics because he won't be a starter do you think that is best for the team?  If Ainge goes back on his word then no free-agent would ever believe him again.  Shaq and JO have not played a single minute of Celtics basketball, that's why it's premature to assume that Shaq can't play with BBD. 
    Posted by Fierce34

It is not premature to think Shaq can't play with Baby. Doc rarely ever played Perk with Baby, the +/- when he did was terrible. With Shaq they'd be an even worse duo.

I bet both O'Neals can play together, just not as good as Shaq w/ KG, or JON w/ KG.

If JON is sat down during training camp if/when Shaq outplays him or when Shaq plays his best alongside KG, and O'Neal is told it is best for the team if Shaq starts, but in all close games he will finish b/c he is a 75% FT shooter, and play more mins overall, i'm sure J. O'Neal is not going to complain at this stage in his career.

He is here to join a TEAM, and win a title before he retires. He's already making 5x what Shaq is. If the situation change in October makes DA and Doc want to recind a July promise, JON better not care, and if he does, better not let anyone know he does and give 110% regardless.

Sections
Shortcuts