Shaq could play Sunday.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: Shaq could play Sunday.

He is going to dress up like the Easter Bunny...can't wait til the Big Man gets out there...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Funny we all know that his condition is bad by watching limp around.  Don't the Celtics understand  that it is there for the eye to see. So why go through this charade.  Is it productive for some reason that is not apparent?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I will be very surprised if Shaq does return during this series or even sometime in the next playoff series.   He hasn't played for a couple of months, and I don't expect him to return.  It will be a pleasant surprise if he does return. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq could play Sunday.:
    For all those saying just rest him until miami, So you want him to rehab vs miami instead of new york? He isn't just going to step in there and play 20 minutes right away. I hope he plays as soon as possible to get his legs ready for 20 minutes a night.
    Posted by btownteamsrking

Good point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Funny we all know that his condition is bad by watching limp around.  Don't the Celtics understand  that it is there for the eye to see. So why go through this charade.  Is it productive for some reason that is not apparent?
    Posted by concord27

Yes, but is the limping because he is trying not to use his calf muscle at all or is it because he is hurting?

If I have a calf injury and I am told not to strain it while leading the rest of my life, I will also walk with an exaggerated limp.  Having said that, I would rather believe that Shaq will be back in a week than he will not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from datruthpp34. Show datruthpp34's posts

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Boston-Celtics-center-Shaquille-ONeal-likely-out-rest-of-NBA-playoffs-042011

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

After reading most of the posts, I think the score is even with a game between the pessimists and the optimists. Here's one more point for the optimists as we now have the lead. Shaq will play by the Miami series game 1. I'm assuming the C's and Heat will clash here in about a week. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The score may be even and there is very little in the way of facts to give us any idea what the situation is, but do you really think Shaq is going to play on Sunday?  I think the answer is without a doubt no.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Shaq was at practice today in practice gear. according to gary Washburn and Paul Flannery he did not have a limp.

he did shoot arounds but no running. 

Personally I still don't think we'll see him until the second round, but I think we'll see him.  Then again, who really knows for sure? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I think he traveled with the team because the players wanted him around....maybe its pyshological(sp)  but he also helps with talking to players during time outs.  I just want to see him improving, but I dont really want to see him play sunday....Hopefully we finish off N.Y. this w/e.  If he is avaible to play agianst the Heat, that is huge...I dont care if he sits in the paint like a statue like he did in harvard sq, but just say HELLO to Lebron and Wade at the rim is all we need. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

I think he traveled with the team because the players wanted him around....maybe its pyshological(sp)  but he also helps with talking to players during time outs.  I just want to see him improving, but I dont really want to see him play sunday....Hopefully we finish off N.Y. this w/e.  If he is avaible to play agianst the Heat, that is huge...I dont care if he sits in the paint like a statue like he did in harvard sq, but just say HELLO to Lebron and Wade at the rim is all we need. 
    Posted by JayShizzle45

With a healty Amare and Billups the Cs are tied at 1 unless of course you believe they are playing down to the opponent - the one that traded away some of its best players and played about 500 down the stretch and limped into the playoffs.

The Cs are avg 91 ppg against one of the worst defensive teams and a team that is missing 2 of its best players and perhaps its 4th best player hitting the rookie wall about a month ago.

Imagine how bad the Cs offense would be if they played an actual defensive minded team like their next opponent.  I believe the last 3 games against the Bulls and Miami they have not broken 80 points.

I think it is very simple, they don't need Shaq against the Knicks and cannot beat either of the other teams with or without him.  With a healthy Shaq and lots of practice, the Cs could beat both of these teams but with a Shaq that is out of shape and not game ready, WYSIWYG and will be the demise of the 2010-2011 Celtics.

I originally thought the Cs playoff record would be 7 and 6 this year - 6 games in round 1 and go out in game 7 of round 2 but now with the injuries to Amare and Billups their record will likely be 7 and 5 or 7 and 4.  They either sweep or lose 1 game to the Knicks and then somehow stretch the Heat to 7, though I could see it much uglier than that.

The between the legs behind the back pass then hit Wade for a dunk was one of the most spectacular plays of the year.  The Cs cannot compete with what the Heat are doing at this point IMO.

The notion that the Cs have an advantage at the point is a joke because they consider Chalmers as the point guard for Miami - it is obviously LeBron, so there is no advantage at the point.  The fact that Rondo cannot and will not shoot ensures that a paint advantage is irrelevant.

Shaq was in a soft cast the other day and cannot and should not play in this series and will not make that much difference against a team that would foul him out in 10 minutes and can make 3s at will in the second round.

The window is closing, let's just hope it is not Cathy Bates slamming James Caan's ankles between a 4 x 4.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

REad this article and tell me Shaq is coming back.  I want him back in the worst way but look at the part where Shaq says to comcast he does not want to talk about his condition.  That they should talk to the guys playing.  It really doesn't sound like someone coming back anytime soon. It sounds like maybe never.

Winslow Townson/Associated Press

Shaquille O'Neal looked on from the bench during the Boston Celtic's game against the Knicks on April 17. O'Neal has only played 5 minutes since Feb. 1, and his absence may significantly hurt the Celtics' championship hopes.

In the twilight of his career, Shaquille O’Neal has evolved from the game’s most dominating force to a big man for hire with diminishing but effective skills, if he is healthy. That “if” is now confronting theCeltics, who may have prematurely placed too much hope in returning to the N.B.A. Finals on O’Neal.

Off the Dribble

Keep up with the latest news, on the court and off, with The Times's basketball blog.

N.B.A.

Knicks

Nets

W.N.B.A.

Liberty

Michael Dwyer/Associated Press

Boston Celtics' Shaquille O'Neal limped off the court after being injured during their game against the Detroit Pistons on April 13.

O’Neal, who turned 39 last month, is the league’s eldest statesman. For much of the season he has spent more time in a jacket than a jersey, a status that has continued into the first-round playoff series with the Knicks, proving New York is not the only team with serious injury concerns.

He has played only five minutes since Feb. 1 while trying to return from a calf strain. The Celtics insist he is close to returning and disclose his status before each playoff game. Citing one N.B.A. source, The Eagle Tribune reportedWednesday that the Celtics were preparing for O’Neal to be unavailable for the playoffs, but Coach Doc Rivers refuted such speculation.

“I’m worried about getting him right and healthy,” Rivers told reporters at Friday’s shootaround. “There’s no strategic game plan for not playing him. There’s a medical game plan for not playing him. Once he can play, he can play.”

Although the Celtics, who lead the series, two games to none, ruled out O’Neal from playing Friday in Game 3, he traveled with the team to New York. Rivers usually allows injured players who are close to playing on road trips.

O’Neal has been quiet through much of his rehabilitation. “I don’t want to talk,” he told CSNNE.com Friday. “Let the players talk. I’m just trying to get back.”

He signed a two-year contract with Boston last summer, but this season’s frequent injuries may foreshadow his retirement. O’Neal is fifth on the N.B.A.’s career scoring list with 28,596 points. His former teammate Kobe Bryant is next with 27,868 points.

Rivers does not want to concede the parallel, but the will-he-or-won’t-he situation is similar to Boston’s playoff run two years ago when Kevin Garnett missed the final 25 games of the regular season and the playoffs with a knee sprain. The Celtics maintained hope that Garnett would return in the playoffs, especially after a spirited first-round victory over the Chicago Bulls. But the Magic ousted the Celtics without Garnett in the next round.

Boston saw enough of O’Neal in the first half of the season to trade away the popular Kendrick Perkins to the Oklahoma City Thunder, along with Nate Robinson, for Jeff Green and Nenad Krstic, and break up the starting five that won the 2008 N.B.A. title.

O’Neal’s impact would be less valuable against a team like the Knicks, who possess no interior threat from the center position. If the Celtics advance, they would need him in a series against a team like the Orlando Magic (Dwight Howard) or Lakers (Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol).

Sections
Shortcuts