Shaq is playing better each game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Re: Shaq is playing better each game

Agree with you on this one, Bias. Shaq was huge tonight, literally!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I'm loving what I'm seeing in Shaq.  Now, if we could just bottle it and set it on the shelf until the final 5 games of the season in preparation for the playoffs.  By that time, Perk should be conditioned and JON should be back and conditioned as well (hopefully).  But he is definitely looking spry.

Semih played well but what is the deal with his defense?  He committed a stupid foul by jumping before the Pistons player even made an offensive move AND he was already defended by a Celtics player.  Tommy said "uggggh". 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq is playing better each game:
    I'm loving what I'm seeing in Shaq.  Now, if we could just bottle it and set it on the shelf until the final 5 games of the season in preparation for the playoffs.  By that time, Perk should be conditioned and JON should be back and conditioned as well (hopefully).  But he is definitely looking spry. Semih played well but what is the deal with his defense?  He committed a stupid foul by jumping before the Pistons player even made an offensive move AND he was already defended by a Celtics player.  Tommy said "uggggh". 
    Posted by Petey62

Semih won't be playing much after Perk returns.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

haha you forget he was doing this at the beginning of the season as well..now tonites rebounding was very good, but he was playing great at the beginning of the season too..he will go through stretches.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Yes, Semih can be "uncoordinated" at times.  But, his posted and dunked well a couple of times tonight.   Bench finally did a good job of energizing tonight.  They didn't change the lead, but they infused energy into the game!

So, based on tonight, is Shaq more valuable with the subs or with the starters?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

As of right now, I say starters!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Keep SHAQ in with the starters and bring Perk off the bench.  Let them battle it out for 2011/12

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Maybe we could build leads in the first quarter with Perk and then just start blowing people out when Shaq plays against the other team's subs?  Just a thought.

In the end, I trust Doc to make the right call and make it work either way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

When everything is all said and done, I think Perk will regain his starting postition and Shaq will come off the bench. That is the best thing to do and the most logical thing to do and I think that is what Doc will do.

First of all Perk has been the starter and bringing him from the bench will kill his moral and his confidence for a young player and Doc knows it too.

Secondly, there is no need to replace a starter who just come off an injury. They don't do that in Boston cause there is no need for that , and Doc is not going to do that.

Thirdly, Doc is always proud of the starting five, including Perk, since he always boast that they had never lost a playoff series.

So look for Perk to come off the bench for about two or three games and then regain his starting position.

Time Will Only Tell

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I think DOc has stated Perk will start but... I DISAGREE!!

Shaq is very effective with Rondo & KG.. Rondo gets him some ez buckets, thats not gonna happen with the 2nd unit. His defense will also suffer with KG not there to help out.

Perk on the other hand is an unknown. If he was to come back 100%, he still isnt close to what Shaq gives us. And how many players come back from major knee surgery and pick up where they left off? Right, just about nobody.

The heck with Perks ego, if its that frail, too bad. Grow up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

When everything is all said and done, I think Perk will regain his starting postition and Shaq will come off the bench. That is the best thing to do and the most logical thing to do and I think that is what Doc will do. First of all Perk has been the starter and bringing him from the bench will kill his moral and his confidence for a young player and Doc knows it too. Secondly, there is no need to replace a starter who just come off an injury. They don't do that in Boston cause there is no need for that , and Doc is not going to do that. Thirdly, Doc is always proud of the starting five, including Perk, since he always boast that they had never lost a playoff series. So look for Perk to come off the bench for about two or three games and then regain his starting position.                                      Time Will Only Tell
    Posted by ChiefEddie1028

I agree 100%. I think this is exactly what will happen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I think DOc has stated Perk will start but... I DISAGREE!! Shaq is very effective with Rondo & KG.. Rondo gets him some ez buckets, thats not gonna happen with the 2nd unit. His defense will also suffer with KG not there to help out. Perk on the other hand is an unknown. If he was to come back 100%, he still isnt close to what Shaq gives us. And how many players come back from major knee surgery and pick up where they left off? Right, just about nobody. The heck with Perks ego, if its that frail, too bad. Grow up.
    Posted by Karllost

Its a close call, but this point about coming back off of knee surgery is a good point.  Almost NO ONE comes back as good as they were in that first year.  Look through history and we can give a long list of players who's game changed, especially in the first year back (and our most recent example is Garnett himself!).   I hope we're wrong, but only time will tell.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Yes but Perk doesn't play the style game that KG does. Perk is more stationary and is usually in the paint. So his range of floor that he covers may not require that he have all of his agility back to be effective. It's probably going to be more mental for the first 2-3 weeks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

People have forgotten Perk and how he plays. His limitations are enormous.  Shaq in the time he can play is a whole other animal.  Watch the respect he gets in the paint no one challenges him.  Cheap shots and injuries are what he is insurance for.  He dishes it out and it protects KG and others.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

When was the last time Shaq went to the floor to get a loose ball?

Is he lobbying to be a starter now that Perk is close to coming back?

Shaq definitely beats Perk on offense without question, but Perk's defense has been light years ahead of Shaq's.

It is great to have both players on the Celtics.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I wonder could Shaq and Perk play together?

Could Doc use a 3-2 man zone where 3 players are playing man and Shaq and Perk are playing zone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

It's great comfort to see Shaq exerting himself and playing beyond normal expectations, particularly since JON's health remains suspect and we have yet to see how Perk will perform. Kudos to the Big Shamrock!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

When perk is adjusted he will start. We need shaq's scoring on the bench. Either might finish though.  You're likely to see some off/def substitution in the final 2 minutes unless it's too hard on shaq to warm up and cool down like that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Umbutu,
    Did you see the game last night?  Shaq was on the floor twice.  He had three steals.  Perk can contribute and I look forward to it.  He is not Shaq.  You may see Perk in there starting at some point but if Shaq is healthy he will be starting in the playoffs or before.

Perk is a good soldier but very limited in offensive skills and ballhandling. We all know that.

I just read in the Vince Woolfork cover SI a poll for the most intimidating presence in the paint in the NBA done by the players.  Shaq came in first with 40%, Howard had 30% and Lebron 10%. That's a pretty good guy to have around.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In Response to Shaq is playing better each game:
    I'm happy to see Shaq playing well. Every game he's getting more physical and effective.
    Posted by BiasLewis

Shaq was very good early in the season but then didn't do very much for a number of games. The last couple of games he has really picked it up again. Hopefully it will last!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

This is not really what we should debate on. Perk is our starting Center, period, and he will start when he is fully able to play. It doesn't matter whether Shaq is better offensively or not. Perk is Celtics starting Center, period.

Let me ask you guys these questions:

Say by tomorrow Quis started playing far better than Paul Pierce, will it be reasonable to have Quis start While Pierce comes off the bench? Of course not.

If Robinson start playing better than Rondo, do you think the coach will bench Rondo and start Robinson? Of course not.

And if BBD out-shines KG, do you think DOC will have KG come off the bench while BBD starts? Again, of course not.

Well, that is why Perk will start and not Shaq. The only way Perk could come off the bench is if he is on the verge of being traded. But if not, he will be starting when he comes back. Mark my words.

Time Will Only Tell

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

BiasLewis,

For experimental purposes, I think you could see Doc putting Shaq and Perk together, mostly towards the end of each quarter, just to see how it works.

You know Doc, like any other smart coach, likes to experiment on things. Like what he did with DWest and Nate, which worked out well for him. Also with BBD and KG, which also worked out well for him.

So I believe he will love to combine those heavy weights just to scare off teams. Personally, I will love to see them together because I am a lover of big line-ups.

Time Will Only Tell

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Shaq is playing like he was before he injured his leg during a Knicks game when he collided with Amare. I think he's finally recovered and that's why he's moving and jumping better. Shaq can still play and that's for sure. He's well past his prime, but when 100%, he's still a force to be reckoned with.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I have to admit. I sometimes jump the gun on Shaq because he doesn't give his all every single game or appear to really try sometimes. Then I forget he getting paid league minimal. If there is a more productive player getting paid less I don't know who he is. He appeared to be the only player other than Paul who wasn't going through the motions the whole game.
    Posted by tompenny

I don't think Ray is ever "just going through the motions".  He's always cutting hard and running around the court.  Its a wonder he doesn't tire out by 4th qtr, but he doesn't.  On top of that, he's playing often the other team's top of second best player (shooting guards like Manu, Kobe, DWade, Gordon, JRichardson, etc).  So, I think its very rare when you can stick that "going through the motion" thing on Ray.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Chief EDDie,
    Your analogy is incorrect when you refer to Shaq and Perk.  Shaq is a hall of famer the greatest big man of his era. Perk does not compare on any level.  Quis to Pierce, Nate to Rondo, BBD to KG, not the same as Shaq to Perk.  Really Perk has a role no doubt, but if healthy Shaq is the man that will be in there.

Sections
Shortcuts