SHAQ ON LETTERMAN!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: SHAQ IS ON LETTERMAN TONIGHT!

Shaq needs to focus on the big picture and cease these self-promoting, non-basketball off day activities.  I love Shaq and his personality but I honestly want him focusing on basketball.  And if this wasn't an off day, he definitely needs the rest for tomorrow's game.

One of the most important games on the schedule is tomorrow against the Spurs and he's hanging out in NY on Letterman the day before (show tapes at 5:30PM).

Maybe it's me but I'd much rather hear about him in the gym running or lifting weights or getting treatment or simply staying under the radar, resting as he prepares for the Spurs tomorrow.  Maybe if he allowed himself to rest and/or work in the gym on his day off, maybe he could give the Celtics more production and more minutes.

My advice to Shaq "Get off Letterman and get on the boards".  He's not in his twenties anymore.  The Celtics are entering the dog days of January and our only focus should be on banner number 18.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

did anyone see him on there? i missed it live. its up on the letterman website. cant believe his utter disdain for pat riley, wouldnt even share any thoughts on him. caLLED riley a great coach but then agreed that any one could have won rings with all that talent when dave went there. shaq will be on eei every thursday from now on with dale and holley some time between 10-1P. 

petey, you have a point but come on, that was part of the deal when we signed him. if he were a focal part, you may have a point for he could change the culture. there is no one on this team who is close to being a shaq. think about it, at 38, there is more interest in him now then in kobe or any other NBA'r not named lebron! y shouyld he end his visibility as his career winds down. from shaq versus to hanging and dancing on stage with justin beiber, the guy does it all! public  likes them some  shaq! long as he is healthy and contributing i have no beef with it. perhaps if he were injured, i would have more beef with it! lighten up...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

Let the $1.3m guy enjoy some life. Other guys have to work harder.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: SHAQ IS ON LETTERMAN TONIGHT!:
    Posted by lovetruth007
    EXACTLY! its hard working for minimum wage, must supplement it. his profile is his extra money!Money mouth

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

In Response to Re: SHAQ IS ON LETTERMAN TONIGHT!:
    Posted by lovetruth007

I guess he has to make the extra money somehow.Wink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: SHAQ WAS ON LETTERMAN LAST NIGHT!

I don't have a problem with this.  Off day is his business not ours. How would you like people to tell you what to do when your off work?  I didn't think so.  Shaq has been at this game a long time, I think he knows more about what he does or doesn't need to do than we do. More knee jerk reactons.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Petey ...relax... all the foul shooting practice, weight training (lol), etc. isn't going to help this aging center. He is what he is. Enjoy life Shaq!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

The celtics and the nba like it when players become famous enough to do things like letterman.  I guarantee you neither ainge nor stern is complaining.

The better shaq plays and the more "out there" he says, the more likely the nba will want to feature him in the finals matchup.  Yeah, I think like that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

walk2run, I AM relaxing and I thoroughly enjoyed watching him on the show.  He had me rolling each time he said "He didn't call me either."  I wasn't surprised to see his response about Pat Riley.

On the other hand, it's all about EIGHTEEN!  The Celtics have never had a player like Shaq but Shaq has never played with a team like the Celtics.  We aren't about the glamour and the glitz.  We're about the rings.  I am sure the Celtics knew what they were getting but I am not sure Shaq knows what's expected as a Celtic.

Koolaid, come on, Shaq IS a focal point right now.  He is our starting center and he would be MORE of a focal point if he was about the game just a bit more especially at his advanced age.  This guy has struggled mightily lately and we'll need him at the top of his game tonight.

The Celtics aren't about the show and Shaq needs to know that and limit that because if he continues to struggle, you can bet KG or someone will get in his ear.

Plus, Shaq is a media icon who will have all of these opportunities soon after winning banner 18 and after when he retires....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

If he started a NBA franchise, Shaq stated he would start with Bill Russell...

Shaq says all the right stuff...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Shaq: Whats your phone number, I'll call you!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

petey, is that a New york military academy outfit on your avatar? i went there. shaq has 4 rings and has been to 5 finals. i will assume he knows what he is doing. ifhe were doing the jay leno show where he had to go across the country and bak perhaps u would have a point. again, lighten up on this one. as a fan, i liked seeing him on there

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickFox17. Show RickFox17's posts

I thought Shaq was great last nite but I think he lied about his comments about Kobe.  Hey Shaq is producing more than Sheed and for way less money.  He also doesnt  pick up dumb technicals and disrupts our rythm    I love Shaq and just enjoy him while he is still around playing in the NBA and for our Celtics. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In Response to Re: SHAQ WAS ON LETTERMAN LAST NIGHT!:
    petey, is that a New york military academy outfit on your avatar? i went there. shaq has 4 rings and has been to 5 finals. i will assume he knows what he is doing. ifhe were doing the jay leno show where he had to go across the country and bak perhaps u would have a point. again, lighten up on this one. as a fan, i liked seeing him on there
    Posted by KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN

Koolaid, I attended college at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.  That picture was taken "yearling" year (sophomore).

To your (good) point, Shaq got 4 rings when Shaq was much more effective.  Shaq's skills have diminished and those championships are in the distant past and he is currently incapable of contributing in the same manner that got him the 4 rings.  Shaq knows what it took to get the rings but he's so far from THAT Shaq, I doubt he really knows NOW what it takes.

At his current age and abilities, Shaq DOES NOT know what it takes to get a ring.  If he knew that, playing alongside Lebron, he would have gotten one last season.  Flying to NY to be on Letterman the night before a huge game can be put off until season's end.  With all the injuries this team has had, EVERYONE should be doing everything they can to focus on being their best, mentally and physically.

You don't see KG or Pierce on Letterman or any other show right now.  THEY know what it takes to get that ring.  When you look at KG, Pierce and Ray, you see in how they play that they know what it takes.  They're doing it.  And their play is more consistent and much better than Shaq's.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Petey, I see what you are saying.  But SHAQ is a personality known around the world.  KG, PP, and RA aren't on his level as far as popularity.  Should he have done it?  I don't know.  We will see how he comes out and plays tonight.  but that still may not even correlate to his play if it is sub-par.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bopaticuns. Show bopaticuns's posts

Too bad Shaq didn't have this Petey character around for the last 20 years or so to guide his career.  He might have actually been something.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

bopaticuns, this "Petey" character is making his opinion known on this board.  That is what this board is for.  I'm comfortable voicing my opinion even if it tends to fall outside the "norm".

Also, for the record, I'm a "person", not a "character".  I appreciate you respecting that even as we disagree.  Are you good with that?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

I'm calling Shaq and telling on you guys...LOL...like the intensity on this board...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

beavis, no, no.  Don't call the Big Shamrock.  Nothing like some good back and forth, even if we don't agree -- but with a little bit of respect, ya know.

No name-calling, just good banter.  He better get more than 3 rebounds tonight I'll tell you that.

I

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bopaticuns. Show bopaticuns's posts

bopaticuns, this "Petey" character is making his opinion known on this board.  That is what this board is for.  I'm comfortable voicing my opinion even if it tends to fall outside the "norm". Also, for the record, I'm a "person", not a "character".  I appreciate you respecting that even as we disagree.  Are you good with that?
    Posted by Petey62

Duly noted.  No disrespect intended.  I don't know you - so you are a "character" on a message board to me.  That said, I still find your opinion of this man's personal time ridiculous and petty.  It's not like he's out hang gliding or wrestling bears in his spare time.  I'm betting I exert more energy at the grocery store than he did hopping a short flight from Boston to NY for a 10 minute interview.  Or conducting the Boston Pops.  Or posing as a statue.  Or whatever else he has done since he has been in Boston.  You're trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Shaq I believe was in six finals.  LA three times, Orlando once, Miami once, and Detroit once.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In Response to Re: SHAQ WAS ON LETTERMAN LAST NIGHT! : Duly noted.  No disrespect intended.  I don't know you - so you are a "character" on a message board to me.  That said, I still find your opinion of this man's personal time ridiculous and petty.  It's not like he's out hang gliding or wrestling bears in his spare time.  I'm betting I exert more energy at the grocery store than he did hopping a short flight from Boston to NY for a 10 minute interview.  Or conducting the Boston Pops.  Or posing as a statue.  Or whatever else he has done since he has been in Boston.  You're trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. 
    Posted by bopaticuns

bopaticuns, my opinion is based on the title of this thread which is regarding him being on Letterman.  I don't have any complaints with Shaq doing local activities as compared to activities that would take him out of the Boston area on nights before huge games.

Whatever energy YOU exert shopping is not energy you will need to battle Tim Duncan so I really don't see the comparison.  I find THAT comparison "ridiculous".

What players do on nights before games is a common topic, especially when those players aren't performing (see Hedo Turkoglu in Toronto) so feel free to call my opinions anything you want.  Again, that's the beauty of this board.

concord, I don't think Shaq won a ring with the Detroit Pistons.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: SHAQ WAS ON LETTERMAN LAST NIGHT! : Koolaid, I attended college at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.  That picture was taken "yearling" year (sophomore). To your (good) point, Shaq got 4 rings when Shaq was much more effective.  Shaq's skills have diminished and those championships are in the distant past and he is currently incapable of contributing in the same manner that got him the 4 rings.  Shaq knows what it took to get the rings but he's so far from THAT Shaq, I doubt he really knows NOW what it takes. At his current age and abilities, Shaq DOES NOT know what it takes to get a ring.  If he knew that, playing alongside Lebron, he would have gotten one last season.  Flying to NY to be on Letterman the night before a huge game can be put off until season's end.  With all the injuries this team has had, EVERYONE should be doing everything they can to focus on being their best, mentally and physically. You don't see KG or Pierce on Letterman or any other show right now.  THEY know what it takes to get that ring.  When you look at KG, Pierce and Ray, you see in how they play that they know what it takes.  They're doing it.  And their play is more consistent and much better than Shaq's.
    Posted by Petey62
    petey, ok since you went to west point i will change my approach towards you. i enjoyed my visits up there when i was over at NYMA (nearby in cornwall-on-hudson).. 

now come on man.. the reason KG, RA and PP or rondo arent on letterman is because no one is inviting or using shaq's words "they ain't calling" at that level...shaq seems to do a great job combining and managing the two. look at tommy brady. he does interviews with everyone esp with espn during the season, pats have time to pose for magazine covers and look at all the ads and extra interests that brady has. part of being responsible or accountable is being able to do both. if he comes late to practice because of it or misses the team plane or bus, yep i would have a beef with those activities. the man is healthy, in shape, hustling, playing his buttt off... cut the man some slack!

what would have said back in the day when karl malone and rodman were out there wrestling each other during the season.. what did you think of shaq appearing on wwe raw during the season? or making episodes of shaq versus during the preseason,? how about him adding his talents to sponsoring jamie fox's new comedy tour? btw, how was it his fault that cleveland lost last year? celts signed him because he dominated all of our big men during most of that series. shaq complements at this stage. he's not there to actually be the man in winning or losing! the man has done his job...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: SHAQ ON LETTERMAN!

I agree with everything you said.  What I look at is this:

19 minutes, 4 points and 0 rebounds

in one of the biggest games of the season.  The guy just has not been playing well and I wonder what is the effect his personal activities are having on this.

It would be so much more obvious if it was reported that Shaq is out at Boston area night-clubs on nights before games.

I totally respect everyone's opinions and I'll simply leave it as such.

Go Celtics.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

Re: SHAQ ON LETTERMAN!

In Response to Re: SHAQ ON LETTERMAN!:
    I agree with everything you said.  What I look at is this: 19 minutes, 4 points and 0 rebounds in one of the biggest games of the season.  The guy just has not been playing well and I wonder what is the effect his personal activities are having on this. It would be so much more obvious if it was reported that Shaq is out at Boston area night-clubs on nights before games. I totally respect everyone's opinions and I'll simply leave it as such. Go Celtics.
    Posted by Petey62

petey, now on the last sentence i agree with ya. if he were in fact at clubs or not getting in his rest that would be an issue.. but i c nothing to bak that up! letterman is at 530, may be in bed by 10p for all i know. where;s the eveidence that he isnt? 

i actually did a similar post on tom brady last year about the hollywood/gissy thing. thought perhaps he was being distracted. clearly he has toned it down a bit. i did not like what he was doing off the court and i got slammed as you are. difference is i had some clear evidence and the team was not performing. with shaq, there would be much more scrutiny if we werent winning...PERIOD! i now c y he has quickly worn out his welcome in other places. that act would get old in a heartbeat if we start losing. but yep, ONE rebound is not good, must plant some doubt... we'll seeeee

Sections
Shortcuts