Shaq O'Neil and Jermaine O'Neil Would Give Excellent Matchup Options.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Re: Shaq O'Neil and Jermaine O'Neil Would Give Excellent Matchup Options.....

i agree.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Agreed....look at Shaq's numbers in NBA Reference calculated over the standard 36 minute grid.  Still formidable. 

I think he would be motivated to (1) beat Labron (2) beat Wade and (3) beat Kobe.  I don't think he could draw up with the Devil any better for a chance like this. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toineson. Show toineson's posts

In Response to Shaq O'Neil and Jermaine O'Neil Would Give Excellent Matchup Options.....:
    [QUOTE]Shaq is probably about 60 percent of what he once was, but still his is a massive 7'2, 300-350 pound center that you can throw out on the court for 15-20 minutes, and the he's going to play solid defense, and on offense centers still don't want to guard him because he is so big and strong (even though he's no longer a scoring threat) .     Now Jermaine O'Neil is a much more athletic and lighter player, who should benefit from playing with the best talent he's ever had around him.    Until Perkins is back, Shaq and Jermaine give us a quality center position.    At this point in their careers, neither one can be counted on to score 20 ponts, but as 4th scoring option on the court, Shaq and Jermaine can still get the job done.              
    Posted by DuncanOrange[/QUOTE]

Appreciate your optimism, a lot of people have their doubts...

Chris Mannix of SI.com tweets:  Every NBA coach/scout has serious doubts about how Shaq will work in BOS. Pick and roll D, attitude, ability to be reserve come up often

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

There is always a concern that aging stars of any maginitude will be able to accept a new and lessened role on a new team.If Shaq can and does willingly accepts the roll the Celts will ask him to play he and Jermaine could indeed give the Celts great flexabilty and the ability to create match-up problems just about any other team at the 4 and 5 slots (Particularly when you throw in Garentt, Davis and,ultimately Perkins into the mix).If this does happen and the club gets a break with injuries they will be fascinating team to watch....How long before it starts?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

How about Shaq and BBD on the court at the same time?  Talk about filling the lane!

Everyone should start practicing their entry passes to the low post.  Shaq is still pretty much unstoppable down low.  It will be fun watching Z and Juwann Howard trying to guard him.

He also gives us someone that can pass the ball.  Whether it's back out or on the interior, it gives us more options.

PA

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

The key to the Celtics next season in Kevin Garnett.  I think a year removed for that knee will be huge and hopefully he can get back to a steady 18-24 ppg and play the defensive he's capable of.  If he can do that the Celtics will be a tough team to beat no matter what, because Paul Pierce is going to be able to score, Ray Allen can still shoot, and Rondo gets better each season. 

Adding Shaq, to Jermaine O'Niel, and Glen Davis, to help Garnett on the front court, (and with Perkins returning sometime) is going to allow us to pound the boards and get teams into foul trouble.  Nate Robinson is a nice 10-20 minute spark off the bench.  The only thing the Celtics need that I'm concerned about is that role playing SF/SG who can score off the bench.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from R-E-W. Show R-E-W's posts

The aspect that I most like about Shaq is the defensive rebound.  Remove all other plus and minus parts of his game, his size alone clogs up the middle and stops the Celts from being outmuscled when he is in the game. 
      I felt that he was  very effective for Cleveland in the playoffs, trust Ainge to make his job title clear, before Shaq agrees, and have nothing but hopes that this deal can get done.  Shaq allows Jermaine to play some power forward before Perkins gets back, it lessens the hit if Perkins is slow getting back, and he creates more match up problems for opponents with the Celts, than he would for many other teams.  Just the defensive rebound and outlet, opens up tremendous possibilities.  I was never down on Wallace last year, felt he played extremely well in the playoffs.  Yet, all of a sudden, if Shaq signs, if the two O'Neils even play as well as they did last year, the Celtics actually look improved heading into the new season.
    RW

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoBoston. Show GregoBoston's posts

At that price, Jermaine and Shaq are a huge bargain.  I would have preferred someone like Dampier when he gets bought out, but Shaq wants to come over for peanuts and is willing to be a back-up. 
    Jermaine and KG won't play 82 games...one of them will get hurt at some point.  Having Shaq is a huge insurance policy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Shaq O'Neil and Jermaine O'Neil Would Give Excellent Matchup Options.....:
    [QUOTE]Shaq is probably about 60 percent of what he once was, but still his is a massive 7'2, 300-350 pound center that you can throw out on the court for 15-20 minutes, and the he's going to play solid defense, and on offense centers still don't want to guard him because he is so big and strong (even though he's no longer a scoring threat) .     Now Jermaine O'Neil is a much more athletic and lighter player, who should benefit from playing with the best talent he's ever had around him.    Until Perkins is back, Shaq and Jermaine give us a quality center position.    At this point in their careers, neither one can be counted on to score 20 ponts, but as 4th scoring option on the court, Shaq and Jermaine can still get the job done.              
    Posted by DuncanOrange[/QUOTE]

Id have to disagree some.

First off Shaq is a bit of a liability defensively. He gets smoked on the pick n roll and cant really move much. Sure he can block shots in front of him but hes SLOW and will be slow to rotate helping the weakside.

Also, I disagree about him not being a scoring threat. Shaq can still back down just about anyone (as he did Perk) in the low post. The longer hes fed in the post, the more fatigued his defender is carrying that weight. he'll also draw plenty of fouls.

As a side note. How ugly would it be to see Shaq, Perk & Rondo on the floor at the same time? Talk about HACK-A-SHAQ/RONDO/PERK???

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq O'Neil and Jermaine O'Neil Would Give Excellent Matchup Options.....:
    [QUOTE]The fact is for 1.3 million, if he wants to act up, or doesnt buy in, or becomes a cancer, we can sit em, cut em, whatever, but I say give this guys his backup minutes, 15 a game, when Perk comes back, he should hidden on the bench until playoff time, maximizing what he can bring, and he will be motivated in the playoffs, but if you wanna win reg. season games, you dont play him as much..the quicker Perk comes back the quicker we can hide him away until May, but I agree his pick n roll "D" is horrible, but he will be playing off bench, and we have other guys to combat that , we have the best help defense in the league..
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

Very good points.

Im thinking we'll need to give Shaq/JO more minutes, even when Perk comes back.  Lets admit it, Perk didnt have such a great season. His offensive game deteriorated & his rebounding was terrible. With both Perk & Rondo on the court, defenses had two players they could roam from.  Both Shaq and JO give us more options offensively than Perk.

I like Perk but dont think of him as I once did. Turnovers, Techs, lack of rebounding/blocking out. He gets great praise for how he handles Howard and deservedly so. he also plays well defensively within the system to a degree. Beyond that, Perk hasnt impressed me that much this past season. 

Im thinking if Perk is ready come Feb... he comes off the bench

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

Excellent take from everyone on this.

For 18-20 mpg Shaq could really do some damage.  People forget that not only is he a solid passer but he could be huge in the P and R options.

If this deal goes through Boston will have the best frontline rotation (and a healthy Perk) in the NBA.

The Celtics will have upgraded their center position significantly.  Now if they can find a defensive minded wing the team looks like a contender again.

dboss 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq O'Neil and Jermaine O'Neil Would Give Excellent Matchup Options.....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Shaq O'Neil and Jermaine O'Neil Would Give Excellent Matchup Options..... : Id have to disagree some. First off Shaq is a bit of a liability defensively. He gets smoked on the pick n roll and cant really move much. Sure he can block shots in front of him but hes SLOW and will be slow to rotate helping the weakside. Also, I disagree about him not being a scoring threat. Shaq can still back down just about anyone (as he did Perk) in the low post. The longer hes fed in the post, the more fatigued his defender is carrying that weight. he'll also draw plenty of fouls. As a side note. How ugly would it be to see Shaq, Perk & Rondo on the floor at the same time? Talk about HACK-A-SHAQ/RONDO/PERK???
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

I look at hack a shaq another way.  Use him early in the quarters to drive up the team foul count, and tire out the other teams bigs, and then let JO /perk/who ever take the foul shots late in the quarters.  Use their strengths, hide their weaknesses.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

For alll the Shaqaholics out there the ShaqRock has arrived ! According to Forsberg and Broussard of ESPN and several other media types this is a done deal and so the next chapter of the Big Leprechaun/Shamrock/Shaqrock begins as he seeks to find his 6leaf clover!!! At 38 and 7'2.5" and 350 lbs that my friends is a lot of arrival..... He's no longer a spry agile big man,but he is a man amongst boys in the paint and the only thing that kept the Celtics from winning the Title last year was rebounding and if nothing else happens Shaq Diesel will rebound.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

I just hope he shows up in better shape than he did last season with the Cavs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Zach Lowe at Celtics Hub has a great article on Shaq in Boston.  Basically - Yes there are some issues, but there are also some potential solutions.  

He should team up very well an active defender like KG.

http://celticshub.com/2010/08/04/scattered-thoughts-on-shaq/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BillRKG. Show BillRKG's posts

The good thing about Shaq is the celtics play a half court offense, which is perfect for Shaq. If he does let his ego become detrilmental to the team you have K.G. Pierce, Allen and Doc. who have kept the team tight and connected the last three seasons.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Maybe Shaq O'Neil is 7'2" but Shaq O'NEAL is 7'1"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Zach Lowe at Celtics Hub has a great article on Shaq in Boston.  Basically - Yes there are some issues, but there are also some potential solutions.   He should team up very well an active defender like KG. http://celticshub.com/2010/08/04/scattered-thoughts-on-shaq/
    Posted by croc[/QUOTE]

Good article

For now it is clear that Shaq should start over Jermaine O'Neal, meaning he will play all his minutes alongside KG.

He won't close out games b/c of his FT shooting, JON can finish the games.

Big Baby should play all his minutes alongside JON

about 20 mins a game should be Shaq-KG, another 20 should be Baby and Jermaine O'Neal and finally about 8 mins a game, including the end of all close games, should be JON and KG

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I wouldn't want KG to avg much more than 28 mins a game this season, but i wille xpect his health to be the best it has been in 2 years and for KG to be MORE productive PER wise, and prob stats wise as well, in a few mins LESS than a year ago

Sections
Shortcuts