Shaq Retires

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Shaq Retires

Just heard via Twitter that Shaq has called it quits.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsucks69. Show bostonsucks69's posts

Re: Shaq Retires

Thanks for the memories Shaq. Now you can come back home where you belong and get that #34 retired in LA. Peace Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelitcsFoo. Show CelitcsFoo's posts

Just saw it spreading on the web. His money still on the books for next year? Probably.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Greg Oden... Come on Down! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq Retires:
    Greg Oden... Come on Down! 
    Posted by Getzo

Yeah, another broken down player. No doubt he's at the top of Danny Ainge's list.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Kirk6, I'm going to play devil's advocate.  I honestly don't believe he tried his best for us.  I don't think Shaq came in in the kind of condition to be a consistent contributor for this team.  That was never more evident than when JON went down as Shaq was in and out of the lineup due to injuries (or whatever).

When JON went out, working with Tim Grover, he committed himself to getting himself back to basketball conditioning (including work to lessen the chances of reinjuring his knees again).

One of the things that I disliked about Shaq was that he was more concerned with promoting his "brand" in an "anti-Shaq" market instead of getting himself prepared for basketball.  He did things like fly to NY to be on Letterman the night before a game, pose as a statue in Harvard Sq, conduct the Boston Pops, dress up for Halloween and attempt to become a law enforcement officer (later decided against that).

To be honest, there is no better promotional "coup" for Shaq in Boston than doing everything he could to contribute to banner #18.  He got fat and lazy and just never (37 games during an NBA season equates to never) truly gave the impression that he was interested in "putting in the work" to win a ring.

I never was a huge Shaq fan since he is mostly remembered as a Laker and I really can't say I've developed that much of an affinity for him from his year in Boston.  I will say I appreciate what he brought to Boston and wish him the best in his future.  He truly is a character, good for the game, but not necessarily good for a team whose goal is a championship.

Forget the "what ifs", his year in Boston was a disaster.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq Retires : Yeah, another broken down player. No doubt he's at the top of Danny Ainge's list.
    Posted by Qdaddy

I think Bynum is at the top of the broken down list.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Now if Jermaine O'Neal would just retire...
    Posted by Kirk6

That would be very bad. Then we would have use the full  mid level exception Again on another center.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Thank you Shaq!  I for one am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you did everything you could.  Especially for your age.  Coming back from any injury is not the same at 39 as it is at 19 or even 29.  Your play in that 1st half of the season had us visualizing #18 and had you not gotten injured in the 1st place we'd probably be playing for it.  I only wish we'd had you longer and beginning earlier in your career.  Enjoy the next phase of your life!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq Retires : I think Bynum is at the top of the broken down list.
    Posted by jtkl

I guess we need to be worried cause DA will probably be calling Mitch to try to work a trade. The problem for you clowns is that the C's have NO PLAYERS WITH ANY TRADE VALUE!! HAH! (Thanks for the opening!)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

Wow, this must be devastating news for you celtic fans that thought Shaq was going to be your team's savior.

Cool

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

See ya snaq, you were a great player when you wore the famed purple and gold. If only you had trained hard as much as you rapped hard, you would have been a Laker for life and the statue outside Staples would have been a given.

By becoming transient, or as some in the Laker Nation called you the Big Prostitute, you did yourself no favors. You'll get your number retired but the statue will never be yours. You joined the hated celtics and any Laker at heart knows that joining with the devil will cost you dearly.

Good luck with retirement, you certainly need it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

See ya snaq, you were a great player when you wore the famed purple and gold. If only you had trained hard as much as you rapped hard, you would have been a Laker for life and the statue outside Staples would have been a given. By becoming transient, or as some in the Laker Nation called you the Big Prostitute, you did yourself no favors. You'll get your number retired but the statue will never be yours. You joined the hated celtics and any Laker at heart knows that joining with the devil will cost you dearly. Good luck with retirement, you certainly need it.
    Posted by Laker-Nation32

AMEN brother!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq Retires : I guess we need to be worried cause DA will probably be calling Mitch to try to work a trade. The problem for you clowns is that the C's have NO PLAYERS WITH ANY TRADE VALUE!! HAH! (Thanks for the opening!)
    Posted by Qdaddy

Only clown here are the pathetic Faker Trolls!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Wow, this must be devastating news for you celtic fans that thought Shaq was going to be your team's savior.
    Posted by Tayshawn

Nope, probably more devastating to you since he did sign the with the Celtics!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq Retires : Nope, probably more devastating to you since he did sign the with the Celtics!!!
    Posted by CelticFanLA

I'm pretty sure I speak for most Laker fans when I say that once he stopped wearing the "purple & gold", Shaq pretty much became insignificant to us. There's been some discussion on whether or not his jersey should be retired by the Lakers...personally, I'm against it. Once he put on that UGLY Celtic green jersey, he pretty much sealed his fate in the City of Angels. Yes, I'm only one fan, but he sold his soul to our most bitter rival and in my opinion, that's unforgivable. Now then, Dr. Buss will probably see it the other way and most of the "talking heads" have already endorsed Shaq's jersey to be retired by the Lakers. I like Shaq as a person, but putting on that Celtics jersey is reason enough to be sent to "Laker hell".

What do the rest of the Laker fans on this site think about Shaq and retiring his Lakers jersey? (Well, I already  know how LakerNation feels about it, so we're on the same page.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsucks69. Show bostonsucks69's posts

I can forgive Shaq for putting on the Celtic green uniform. No harm done. At least he didn't win a championship with them. Without Shaq it would be 17 to 13 so I am grateful Shaq helped get us 3 championships and it's now 17 to 16. Shaq will and should get his # retired by the Lakers in the near future.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

thanks shaq, the first 30 or so games were a lot of fun! to bad you didn't come here sooner

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

See ya snaq, you were a great player when you wore the famed purple and gold. If only you had trained hard as much as you rapped hard, you would have been a Laker for life and the statue outside Staples would have been a given. By becoming transient, or as some in the Laker Nation called you the Big Prostitute, you did yourself no favors. You'll get your number retired but the statue will never be yours. You joined the hated celtics and any Laker at heart knows that joining with the devil will cost you dearly. Good luck with retirement, you certainly need it.
    Posted by Laker-Nation32

or u can blame kobe for kicking him out

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I will really miss Shaq.  He is one of the best centers of the past two decades and will really be missed by NBA fans everywhere.  He was a great influence on the city of Boston in the short-time that he spent here, conducting the symphony, his statue in Harvard Square, etc. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JREwing. Show JREwing's posts

Kirk6, I'm going to play devil's advocate.  I honestly don't believe he tried his best for us.  I don't think Shaq came in in the kind of condition to be a consistent contributor for this team.  That was never more evident than when JON went down as Shaq was in and out of the lineup due to injuries (or whatever). When JON went out, working with Tim Grover, he committed himself to getting himself back to basketball conditioning (including work to lessen the chances of reinjuring his knees again). One of the things that I disliked about Shaq was that he was more concerned with promoting his "brand" in an "anti-Shaq" market instead of getting himself prepared for basketball.  He did things like fly to NY to be on Letterman the night before a game, pose as a statue in Harvard Sq, conduct the Boston Pops, dress up for Halloween and attempt to become a law enforcement officer (later decided against that). To be honest, there is no better promotional "coup" for Shaq in Boston than doing everything he could to contribute to banner #18.  He got fat and lazy and just never (37 games during an NBA season equates to never) truly gave the impression that he was interested in "putting in the work" to win a ring. I never was a huge Shaq fan since he is mostly remembered as a Laker and I really can't say I've developed that much of an affinity for him from his year in Boston.  I will say I appreciate what he brought to Boston and wish him the best in his future.  He truly is a character, good for the game, but not necessarily good for a team whose goal is a championship. Forget the "what ifs", his year in Boston was a disaster.
    Posted by Petey62

Petey, will you please take Danny Ainge's job.You're so much smarter than him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq Retires : Petey, will you please take Danny Ainge's job.You're so much smarter than him.
    Posted by JREwing

I agree with you about Petey.  He has a very high basketball IQ and his posts are always very informative. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i also enjoy petey's posts, but there is no reason to rip shaq at this point.

no one thought that he was going to be able to play all 82 regular season games and then another 25 playoff games so injury and missed games were completely understood.

unfortunately, he missed more games than anticipated.  if doc rivers said that shaq did all that he could to make a recovery, then i am good with his efforts and have not complaints.

what a career for a personalable guy that many seemingly cold personalities in pro sports could learn from.

Sections
Shortcuts