Shaq Retires

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: Shaq Retires

Thanks JREwing and susan250.  Not sure I want the pressure that comes with Danny's job though.

charliedarling, Shaq was a great personality for the game of basketball.  Like I said, he was truly a character.  Sorry if you believe I'm ripping him but I'm not.  I'm simply telling it like I see it.  What else would you expect Doc to say -- he backs his players so I would not expect anything less than an endorsement from Doc.

However, I am a Celtics fan and I am simply posting that it appeared to me that THIS SEASON (as a Celtics player since I am a Celtics fan) we saw more of Shaq doing what's best for "Shaq" in Boston and not doing what's best for the "Celtics" in Boston.  TO ME (and I can only post about what I believe), Shaq never gave the impression that he came to Boston to "put in the work" and contribute to us winning a ring.  At this stage of his career, there is not much else you can ask of him.

Shaq was always a huge man but he (again, in my opinion) appeared much bigger at season's end than he was earlier in the season.  When Shaq stepped on the court against Detroit for that 5 minute stint when he reinjured himself, he looked fat and sluggish and not in any kind of basketball shape.  I honestly cannot say the same for JON when he returned.  He looked like he had been working to return to contribute, which is what he did.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if Shaq returned to the Celtics after the trade deadline next season, ala J.P. Brown for the stretch run and playoffs if he got his achilles straight.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

i agree with those who think he hasn t really given his best to recover.... instead perk and jo have done it
    it appeared he was more interested in promoting himself than committed to the ring

having said this, with shaq on the court we ve seen the best celtics of this big three's era, haven t we ? ?
    even not 100% committed he s been a force for us

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

so for me it s bad news his retirement, from the celtics-team's perspective

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

You heard it here first!  Here is my prediction.

Shaq will return next season to the Celtics for the final 15 games or so (whatever the number is to qualify for the playoffs), get in "some kind of game shape" and attempt to be a force in the playoffs.

Shaq will return if 3 things happen:
    1 - the Celtics core is healthy (PP, Ray, Rondo, KG, Jeff Green, Delonte, JON)
    2 - the Celtics show signs of being a realistic threat at a title
    3 - Shaq recovers from his achilles injury

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

i really hope you re right !
    i d like to see him again

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

i m also very negatively surprised that he accepted to retire after such a failure of season
    a great player, a winner, shouldn t accept to retire after playing 10 minutes like he s done....
    he should be motivated to close out with a win, or at least a good season
    unless he feels or just knows he ll never recover 100%

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsNot1966anymor. Show ItsNot1966anymor's posts

He just formally retired, but he quit playing in 2007.  As dominant as he was, there was too much Rasheed Wallace in him.  There is no reason he couldn't have had 7 or 8 rings, except his own work ethic and insecurities.  Because of that, Lakers fans appreciate his contributions, but he will never be appreciated at the level of Magic, Kareem, West and Kobe.    

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq Retires:
    [QUOTE]i m also very negatively surprised that he accepted to retire after such a failure of season a great player, a winner, shouldn t accept to retire after playing 10 minutes like he s done.... he should be motivated to close out with a win, or at least a good season unless he feels or just knows he ll never recover 100%
    Posted by caesarthecat[/QUOTE]

The only way to close his career out with a win would for Shaq to have been traded to another team, because the celtics will not be closing any season out with a win until around 2030 when they are finally due for another title. Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

why not ?
    shaq would be only 58 and perhaps still in baskeball shape and, therefore, he could still help us in our 2030 run for banner #28......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]thanks shaq, the first 30 or so games were a lot of fun! to bad you didn't come here sooner
    Posted by PierceIsTheTruth[/QUOTE]

Why would he have gone to the Celtics any sooner?! Your team pretty much sucked until 2008. Going from the Lakers, or even the Magic would've been a "step down". He wanted to win championships...not finish in the cellar.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaq Retires : Petey, will you please take Danny Ainge's job.You're so much smarter than him.
    Posted by JREwing[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think about 50% of the U.S. population is smarter than Danny.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]You heard it here first!  Here is my prediction. Shaq will return next season to the Celtics for the final 15 games or so (whatever the number is to qualify for the playoffs), get in "some kind of game shape" and attempt to be a force in the playoffs. Shaq will return if 3 things happen: 1 - the Celtics core is healthy (PP, Ray, Rondo, KG, Jeff Green, Delonte, JON) 2 - the Celtics show signs of being a realistic threat at a title 3 - Shaq recovers from his achilles injury
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

....and then he woke up!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

It's amazing that at 39 and in mediocre shape that Shaq was still the best center on the Celtics' roster last year.  Hell, he may have been one of the bset centers in theh league still. I know the criticism of Shaq is that he wasn't always motivated, as many of our Lakers visitors like to recall.  If that's the case, you have to wonder what his career would've looked like if he dropped 30 pounds and was a workout warrior. 

Shaq in his prime was about as unstoppable as you could get.  It will be a long time before there is another guy with his capabilities in the NBA.  Dwight Howard isn't even close yet, as much as theh sky is the limit for him. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Petey,

I don't no why, but I usually do not agree with many of your posts, and I find myself on the other end of this discussion as well.

I doubt that Danny would have traded Perk if he did not feel that Shaq could get it done, as evidenced by the early part of the season, and reports from the Celtics, and various reporters about Shaq's shape, and weight.

Shaq is many things, but I don't think the evidence is there to support your case.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Jump-ball-overtime, I base my premise on the fact that Shaq has never been a player who had the drive and passion for the game.  From the moment Shaq entered the league, he was always the biggest guy on the floor.  And when you add his athleticism for such a big man, he was virtually unstoppable.  It was more his size, not so much his skill.  Shaq never worked on a particular aspect of his game to make himself the best he could ever be.  Shaq was the exact opposite.

When you factor in his past 4 or 5 years, he was often injured and his skills drastically declined.  It got to the point where it was a well-known fact that Shaq never revealed his weight starting 3 years ago.

I believe Danny traded Perk believing that our "center by committe" of Shaq, JON and Krstic (with Baby and KG supporting) would be sufficient to carry us to a title.  I also believe Danny placed a much greater emphasis on the need to have a capable backup to Pierce and Ray than to keeping Perk.  The Celtics still ended with the #1 defense in opponent's points against so we really did not take that much of a dip.

Everything about Shaq's most recent past suggests he did not want to "put in the work" and get himself in the kind of condition to avoid injury and play basketball.  Alot of folks talk about how big Shaq is and how he is 39 and how much those factor into his frequent injuries.  However, with the proper workout regimen and diet, Shaq could have been in much better shape and avoided the many injuries that nagged him.  Jason Kidd is 38 years old and keeps fit.  No matter your size, with the proper work, even a big man can avoid injury.

Sections
Shortcuts