Shaq vs. Perk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondosack. Show hondosack's posts

Shaq vs. Perk

Thank goodness for Shaq this season. The numbers he's putting up, Perk can't even come close to. Perk's biggest problem is combination of limited skills and lack of consistent mental focus; he just doesn't have it. His basketball IQ is exetremely low vs. Shaq's. This was an outstanding pickup by Danny. While I know it's early yet, we haven't had the luxury of a center producing like this in a very long time. I also like Semih's potential......he could be another great addition to the roster, just needs some playing time, and continued mentoring from the likes of Shaq and KG. Perk, I hope you're taking notice. We can't afford any disappearing acts this year; either produce with impressive and expected numbers, or sit on the pine. There's no reason Perk shouldn't be gathering over 10 boards a game; simply a lack of mental focus. Again, I hope you're taking notice.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Re: Shaq vs. Perk

I think Perk should come off the bench the rest of the way when he comes back.  That would leave a second unit with Nate, Daniels, West, BBD and Perk.  Not too bad.  There are some offensive options with that line up.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq vs. Perk:
    Shaq is better than Perkins, but he can't play as many minutes.
    Posted by Kirk6

On the offensive end Shaq finishes all the feeds that Perk fumbles out of bounds or tries dribbling then gets stuffed.  I alluded to this the day we picked up Shaq and it is happening just as I predicted.  Shaq might not be quite as quick to the ball on defense as Perk (but may be now) but he is a big body.  You can't teach size and Shaq has it.  Shaq also runs the floor better than Perk ever has.  I have already seen more alley oops to Shaq this year than I have seen with Perk his entire career.  What this does is opens up all sorts of options.  KG and Shaq are owning down low.  Biggest mistake that Doc could make IMO would be to mess with the starting lineup now or when Perk comes back..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Shaq vs. Justin Bieber?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Shaq vs. Perk. It would be a great wrestling match. I'd put my money on Shaq though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Shaq vs. Perk. It would be a great wrestling match. I'd put my money on Shaq though.
    Posted by mem17

Shaqfu better stay away from Baby.  Baby has already put Shaq out of action for extended period of tima last year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

No sense in pitting Shaq against Perk. They're both Celtics and complement each other. If Perk recovers well and resumes playing, we will need him. Shaq can (and should) play limited minutes due to his age and propensity to injury. What a luxury it would be if we have the services of both wide bodies to battle the likes of Howard, Bynum, Gasol and Duncan. The return of an injury-free JON would be an added bonus.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

Let's put it this way. If Shaq played the game 7 of finals for Cs, Boston had banner 18.

Perk is a turnover machine and offense liability. I don't like his moving picks and slow approching to the rim in the paint. I like his defense and he can play many minutes and play tough again Howard.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

No sense in pitting Shaq against Perk. They're both Celtics and complement each other. If Perk recovers well and resumes playing, we will need him. Shaq can (and should) play limited minutes due to his age and propensity to injury. What a luxury it would be if we have the services of both wide bodies to battle the likes of Howard, Bynum, Gasol and Duncan. The return of an injury-free JON would be an added bonus.
    Posted by edcap99

Agreed !   We don't even know when Perk will be back and how effective he will be.  It does take time to recover from injury and everyone is different.  Having him, Shaq and Jon would definitely be a bonus. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Why compare dried fish vs filet mignon?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I bet our illegal picks have went down a mile without Perk.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

I bet our illegal picks have went down a mile without Perk.
    Posted by OneOnOne

True.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq vs. Perk : Shaqfu better stay away from Baby.  Baby has already put Shaq out of action for extended period of tima last year.
    Posted by OneOnOne

Shaq and Big Baby would make a great tag team. I'd love to see a pay per view of Shaq and Big Baby vs. Lebron and Kobe in a cage match.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Going on 8 years in the NBA, and hasn't learned to set a pick.  Hasn't learned how to catch a pass, or get a rebound, and go back up without bring the ball down and bouncing it!!!

Has a problem with attitude.  He thinks he is a $20 million dollar player.  He crys like one, and turns the ball over with Technicals.  No excuse.

Good player for $4 million.  Limited skills that show well in our system.

Problem is that for the 1st time he is sitting, and his replacement is doing things right.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

When Perk returns, he'll have to ease himself back into the lineup because of his injury, so he'll be playing more with th 2nd unit than starting five at first.  JON will hopefully be well before then as well.  Then there's Semih.
    This will give Doc a lot of options.  However, we all know how Doc likes his set rotations and doesn't  tinker too much once things are established and going well. Doc likes his players to know their roles.
    Because of this, and despite all the bigs he should have available next year, I think he's going to keep Shaq as a starter and just limit his minutes more after Perk (and JON) returns.
    Can't wait to see it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Perk is probably (next to Dwight Howard) the best defensive center in the game. Why do so many of you act like offense is the only part of the game? 

That said. I'm really glad we got Shaq, I thought the pickup would be a disaster and I was wrong about that, Can't wait until Perk gets back though. I'll feel better when we have too much depth at center versus being a bit thin.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Shaq vs. Perk:
    Thank goodness for Shaq this season. The numbers he's putting up, Perk can't even come close to. Perk's biggest problem is combination of limited skills and lack of consistent mental focus; he just doesn't have it. His basketball IQ is exetremely low vs. Shaq's. This was an outstanding pickup by Danny. While I know it's early yet, we haven't had the luxury of a center producing like this in a very long time. I also like Semih's potential......he could be another great addition to the roster, just needs some playing time, and continued mentoring from the likes of Shaq and KG. Perk, I hope you're taking notice. We can't afford any disappearing acts this year; either produce with impressive and expected numbers, or sit on the pine. There's no reason Perk shouldn't be gathering over 10 boards a game; simply a lack of mental focus. Again, I hope you're taking notice.   
    Posted by hondosack

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Shaq vs. Perk:
    Posted by hondosack

If you regularly post here you know from the posters that Perk is a borderline all-star / best post defender / nobody does a better job on Howard / etc.......  when pressed to find a low post presence, most posters would think that there is not even a remote possibility the Cs would be able to patch together a center by committee and so on.....  it really shows how everything is viewed through green colored glasses.... they not only filled the Perk void but got two centers off the scrap heap that are both better than Perk when healthy.....  I have always said that there are Perks drafted every year and that Perk is not even in the top half of the league......  Would the Cs somehow be worse off if they had Hibbert, either Lopez, Horford, Jason Thompson, Noah, Hawes, McGee, etc.  Of course it was explained to me that I have no idea what I am talking about...... give me either healthy O'Neal and Perk doesn't even need to come back this year or ever for that matter......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StupidEediot. Show StupidEediot's posts

This thread is a bit of a joke in that it basically compares who's better at standing under the basket and putting the ball in.

Shaq is mostly immobile now.  In case you missed it he gets no steals or blocks anymore and he barely moves on the floor most of the time.  The few times I have seen him running he's wound up on the bench shortly after.

I appreciate that Shaq foudn a niche as an offensive rebounder and finisher inside but please don't be unrealistic and overinflate what Shaq does.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

its said how easy some people forget what a player is worth when they are mesmerized by anothers play. first, let me be clear..i love what shaq brings to our team and i think he is playing great, excellent pick up. in terms of who starts when perk is healthy..its a toss up for me. shaq is a better offensive player by far..so the scoring goes up with him in the starting lineup yes. but perk is one of if not the best defensive centers in the game (probly second only to DH #12). that being said, we all know that Doc Rivers cares about defense more than he does offense. honestly, im not sure which one is better as the starting center, but i do believe its a good problem to have.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq vs. Perk : So true. We go from maybe 1-2 lost possesions a game on those to 5 when Perk plays.  Him not being able to set a pick is embarrassing like Rondo's FT percentage.
    Posted by tompenny

I used to wonder if it was partly the guy with the ball causing the illegal picks. Since we don't get called for them that much any more, maybe it was just Perk.  I do think Perk would get called for it even when it wasn't illegal a lot of times.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Perk is probably (next to Dwight Howard) the best defensive center in the game. Why do so many of you act like offense is the only part of the game?  That said. I'm really glad we got Shaq, I thought the pickup would be a disaster and I was wrong about that, Can't wait until Perk gets back though. I'll feel better when we have too much depth at center versus being a bit thin.
    Posted by jtkl
    I agree. I can't understand why Perk is getting so much bad rap from Celtics fans. When we lost last season to the Lakers, most everyone in Celtic land was saying that we would have won the title had Perk not gotten injured. Shaq has indeed been a godsend to the team this year, but I see no reason in having to put down Perk in the process. Fact is that Perk makes life on court a lot easier for the Big 3 and Rondo. He has his shortcomings, but who doesn't? Perk will become a free agent at the end of the season. If the Celts don't sign him before then, we can expect a line of suitors for his services. Miami for one would love to have him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Shaq vs. Perk : If you regularly post here you know from the posters that Perk is a borderline all-star / best post defender / nobody does a better job on Howard / etc.......  when pressed to find a low post presence, most posters would think that there is not even a remote possibility the Cs would be able to patch together a center by committee and so on.....  it really shows how everything is viewed through green colored glasses.... they not only filled the Perk void but got two centers off the scrap heap that are both better than Perk when healthy.....  I have always said that there are Perks drafted every year and that Perk is not even in the top half of the league......  Would the Cs somehow be worse off if they had Hibbert, either Lopez, Horford, Jason Thompson, Noah, Hawes, McGee, etc.  Of course it was explained to me that I have no idea what I am talking about...... give me either healthy O'Neal and Perk doesn't even need to come back this year or ever for that matter......
    Posted by TheDUDDER

You are hillariously dillusional

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Hard to figure defending Perk in this discussion.  Nobody is saying Perk is useless or not valuable. Just saying Shaq is more effective in a number of ways. I cant see the argument against it.

When Perk returns, even if 100%, should come off the bench. Shaq has earned the starting job. He scores and rebounds way better than Perk. His creates problems for other teams defenses and usually gets them into the penalty situation cause of his post game.

Perk offers NONE of the above. Also, with both Perk & Rondo on the floor same time.. thats 2 players other teams can ignore offensively and can foul at will cause of the poor FT shooting.

Perk does play good D and matches up well with certain stars, like DH.

Bottom line is Shaq is better and keeping the combo of Rondo/Perk off the floor at the same time makes good sense too. 

Sections
Shortcuts