Shaq won starting job?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenpride32. Show greenpride32's posts

Shaq won starting job?

Prior to the injury to JON, Shaq was already practicing with the first team.  And from what we're hearing Doc has been pleased with his performance.  Do you see him as the starting center even when JON is healthy? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

Re: Shaq won starting job?

I see Shaq coming in as the starting center. Jermaine is just too injury prone to endure an 82 game season as a starting center.

I think he should come off the bench. He should do well playing against opposing teams backup centers.

I would also like to see some "twin tower" sets with both O'Neals on the floor together, to nuetralize the front lines of the Lakers, Mavericks, and the Magic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

At this point in their careers, someone will start, however, matchups will probably determine who has the most playing time. Shaq is great against big strong centers and guys that can be intimidated like Bynum. Against Horford, and other quicker centers, Jermaine may spend more time. In addition, Jermaine may play more at the end of games due to hack a Shaq.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

It would also be fun to See Shaq, Jermaine, KG, Pierce, and Rondo from time to time. KG plays power forward because he is 7'1", however he had been first team all NBA at small forward twice. In 2008, it was KG that Lebron complained about the most when playing the Celtics.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

I agree. I think the only thing that could stop this team is injuries.

If totally healthy, I think they can win it all. But we all know going through a grueling 82 game season without injuries, especially with the age factor of the Celtics, is pretty much impossible.

I just hope we don't have any serious injuries come playoff time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq won starting job?:
    It would also be fun to See Shaq, Jermaine, KG, Pierce, and Rondo from time to time. KG plays power forward because he is 7'1", however he had been first team all NBA at small forward twice. In 2008, it was KG that Lebron complained about the most when playing the Celtics.
    Posted by TeamUmbutu

I've been screaming to put KG at the SF spot for 2 years now. He can play it for stretches in games if called upon. Doc may try it with him being healthy again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Rondo will find Shaq in places where he can just dunk the ball.  Perk was the recipient of lots of great passes from Rondo but didn't always capitalize.  Shaq knows what to do with the ball, so I expect lots of easy baskets from that combo.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Shaq :)  Cool.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Shaq will probably start most of the time, but it has already been reported that his minutes will lie between 20 to 24 per game. Jermaine may get more minutes than Shaq when he's not injured "knock on wood." As others have stated, Jermaine may get more time during the end of games than Shaq due to Shaq's infamous poor free throw shooting.
        Never the less, the Celtics have a lot of versatility with their front line this season. With the return of Perk, Doc's choices will improve that much more. Injuries are the C's frontline biggest enemy this season. When healthy, the C's front line should be dominating.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Shaq will probably start most of the time, but it has already been reported that his minutes will lie between 20 to 24 per game. Jermaine may get more minutes than Shaq when he's not injured "knock on wood." As others have stated, Jermaine may get more time during the end of games than Shaq due to Shaq's infamous poor free throw shooting.     Never the less, the Celtics have a lot of versatility with their front line this season. With the return of Perk, Doc's choices will improve that much more. Injuries are the C's frontline biggest enemy this season. When healthy, the C's front line should be dominating.
    Posted by mem17

lets wait a minute on dominating! JON was horrible last year against the C's. Is it safe to assume he is now better because his uniform is green? Shaq has been hurt more than not the past few seasons. To expect more than 18 min's per from him is too much to ask. Until Perk comes back, count me as one who still feels the C's front line is thin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq won starting job? : lets wait a minute on dominating! JON was horrible last year against the C's. Is it safe to assume he is now better because his uniform is green? Shaq has been hurt more than not the past few seasons. To expect more than 18 min's per from him is too much to ask. Until Perk comes back, count me as one who still feels the C's front line is thin.
    Posted by rkarp

With Shaq JON Baby and KG (Erden)?the front line is anything but thin! With Perk peaking for the late spring run..look out below! IMO

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq won starting job? : lets wait a minute on dominating! JON was horrible last year against the C's. Is it safe to assume he is now better because his uniform is green? Shaq has been hurt more than not the past few seasons. To expect more than 18 min's per from him is too much to ask. Until Perk comes back, count me as one who still feels the C's front line is thin.
    Posted by rkarp

Jermaine is a former 4 time all-star and he's only 32 years old. He was injured during the playoffs last season. Check his stats last season. They were not the allstar type stats he had with Indy, but they were very good. Give people credit when it is due rather than talking trash about them. The world's full of trash talkers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I was thinking how much more scary your front line would be if Perkins was healthy, because if I was the coach he'd be my starter.

Shaq will probably start, JON off the bench, but their minutes will no doubt be monitored and I think Rivers will stick closely to the rotation. Depending of course on whatever foul situation that maybe in play.

JON should have his minutes limited to start the season. He has the potential to be devastating off the bench. I'm sure the coaching staff will use his minutes wisely.

What happened to Sheldon Williams? I thought he played ok. He'd have been good to have come off the bench as well. Puzzled why he released (or whatever happened to him). Certainly came across as a professional sort of guy who was, or seemed to be happy to play a role in the team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoBoston. Show GregoBoston's posts

Shelden Williams signed with Denver.  He may get more playing time there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Shaq won starting job?:
    Prior to the injury to JON, Shaq was already practicing with the first team.  And from what we're hearing Doc has been pleased with his performance.  Do you see him as the starting center even when JON is healthy? 
    Posted by greenpride32

What is amazing to me is that people wax poetic about how great Perk is "borderline all-star" blah blah blah and then in the offseason the Cs are able to go and get two guys basically who are all done and on the scrapheap and both are better than Perk.

I don't think there was any chance that Shaq would not be the starter.  J O will miss about 40 games this year as he always does and Shaq will miss about 20.  There could very well be nights before Perk gets back that big baby is your starting center.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Shaq won starting job? : What is amazing to me is that people wax poetic about how great Perk is "borderline all-star" blah blah blah and then in the offseason the Cs are able to go and get two guys basically who are all done and on the scrapheap and both are better than Perk. I don't think there was any chance that Shaq would not be the starter.  J O will miss about 40 games this year as he always does and Shaq will miss about 20.  There could very well be nights before Perk gets back that big baby is your starting center.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

You mean OUR, don't you?  And no way does that happen. If BOTH O'Neals are out, which I hope never happens, before Perk gets back, KG, Davis, Pierce, Daniels and Erdan will play the forward spot along with maybe Wafer and Harangody.  Don't think Shaq will miss 20 BEFORE Perk comes back, do you?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq won starting job? : You mean OUR, don't you?  And no way does that happen. If BOTH O'Neals are out, which I hope never happens, before Perk gets back, KG, Davis, Pierce, Daniels and Erdan will play the forward spot along with maybe Wafer and Harangody.  Don't think Shaq will miss 20 BEFORE Perk comes back, do you?
    Posted by BirdandCowens

So you specifically list 7 guys that will play the forward spot if the two centers are not healthy - that doesn't seem to solve the problem from my perspective - since none are centers.

Could Shaq miss 20 of the first 50 - could the oldest player in the league miss 20 of the first 50?  Would you be surprised?

I meant YOUR as in like when you go to the gahden and the announcer says Ladies and Gentlemen please welcome YOUR BOSTON CELTICS, starting at forward blah blah blah.....

who are the 15 on your roster? you have 7 guys that play forward if your 3 centers are out, that is 10.  Who are your other 5?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Shelden Williams signed with Denver.  He may get more playing time there.
    Posted by GregoBoston

Ta, hopefully he will.

Sections
Shortcuts