Shaugnessy off base

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticNut. Show CelticNut's posts

Shaugnessy off base

Today's Shaughnessy story concerning the leadership and maturity of Pierce and Game 1 was off base.  Was he watching the same game we were?  Did he see that James Jones has been assessed a Flagrant 1?  Is the NBA going to allow Ed Malloy to ref another game in the series, I doubt it?  Why bring up something that happened 6 years ago when the Celtics were a desperate team?  Hit first, what does that mean?  Should I be telling my 6-year old son to hit first if you want to win the game?  Shaughnessy, stick to baseball or whatever else you are doing with your time these days....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Shaugnessy off base

He's the worst.  A long career of being wrong and unaccountable.  He has been around forever but has never distinguished himself as a writer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

I like what Pierce did, I like the fire he showed. He is doing what a captain should. He is leading the way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

His article today just as bad... about the C's being too old and the window closed for them

All the guy is trying to do is elicit a reaction. HEs the equivilent of a radio shock jock...

Frankly, we are posting about it so I guess he thinks he got what he was looking for... but not really.

Only reason I read his column is cause I usually read anything Celtic related but hes really turning into a bore... I skimmed most of it cause I realized it was just another anti-home team piece so the fans would get angry and give him more attention.

Ill check out his headline but from now on I just may skim the first pgh and bypass the rest,  Its not entertaining when you already know whats in the guys article before you even read it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

What else is new?  :-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tabuckiss. Show Tabuckiss's posts

He's always putting his foot in his Irish mouth....I'm sure he had some Irish Whiskey right before he shot his mouth off....what a slob!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

In Response to Re: Shaugnessy off base:
    I like what Pierce did, I like the fire he showed. He is doing what a captain should. He is leading the way.
    Posted by OneNation

I agree. Anyone would do the same when Wade slammed him out of frustration from following Ray Allen.

Wojarnowski got it wrong also but then he is a well known Boston hater.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

He's the worst.  A long career of being wrong and unaccountable.  He has been around forever but has never distinguished himself as a writer.
    Posted by concord27

Shaugnessy is one of the most negative sports writers in Boston.  He is usually never right about anything and is usually very gloomy.   He is one that also believes that the trade was a bad idea and will  blame Ainge if the Celtics lose this year.   I heard him say this on comcast one night a couple of weeks ago. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1986. Show 1986's posts

Well, fellas you all miss JOHNNY MOST at this point.

Oh my if you guys were alive back in the dynasty, Cowens and the Bird era, you will all fall out of your seat laughing just hearing Johnny in his broadcast.  Win or lose, you'll die laughing at good old jolly JOHNNY!

Cheers.

Come on guys, don't be hard on Dan Shaugnessy.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

Shaughnessy is the best friend the Celtics have, cause his stuff is bulletin board material for the players.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Shaugnessy off base:

Today's Shaughnessy story concerning the leadership and maturity of Pierce and Game 1 was off base.  Was he watching the same game we were?  Did he see that James Jones has been assessed a Flagrant 1?  Is the NBA going to allow Ed Malloy to ref another game in the series, I doubt it?  Why bring up something that happened 6 years ago when the Celtics were a desperate team?  Hit first, what does that mean?  Should I be telling my 6-year old son to hit first if you want to win the game?  Shaughnessy, stick to baseball or whatever else you are doing with your time these days....

Posted by CelticNut

-

Good catch and good post.

He struck again today with his "the C's are too old crapola."

I wrote a blog post about it:  Shaughnessy Mines Old Vein:  Old Angle .

Ski on Twitter

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Shaughnessy is a natural born naysayer.  His writing is not up to Globe standards and never has been.  Think of Leigh Montville, Peter Gammons, Ray Fitzgerald, Bob Ryan, and the Shanks contemporaries, Leslie Visser and Michael Holley.  But Shaughnessy has never reached their level of either insight or quality writing.  He's a low-level belly-acher who can't honestly assess basketball - I can't speak to his pro wrestling writing (who cares?) but in the major sports he's far down the writing food chain.  This is but another failed attempt to be relevant. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

Dan Shaughnessy is an excellent writer. He's "controversial" because he's not that much of a "homer" but who wants a "homer" all the time? Life wouldn't be very interesting if all the Boston media types were "homers." Dan likes to "stir up" the drink {so to speak} at times. No question. He likes to "get under peoples skin" some times. Whats wrong with that? I like to too. It is one of the great joys in life. Dan is a very good writer. He's got a great sense of humor and his imagery and descriptions are wonderful at times. {I'll never forget his line on Manny Ramirez "setting himself on fire" as a description of how Manny ended up in Boston...............like the monks in Vietnam "setting themselves on fire."} I've been reading the Globe for 40 years and Shaughnessy is easily one of the top 2 or 3 sportswriters to ever have graced the paper. Don't take it all so seriously. The Celtics ARE getting old. Everyone gets old eventually. Get over it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

Shaughnessy is a natural born naysayer.  His writing is not up to Globe standards and never has been.  Think of Leigh Montville, Peter Gammons, Ray Fitzgerald, Bob Ryan, and the Shanks contemporaries, Leslie Visser and Michael Holley.  But Shaughnessy has never reached their level of either insight or quality writing.  He's a low-level belly-acher who can't honestly assess basketball - I can't speak to his pro wrestling writing (who cares?) but in the major sports he's far down the writing food chain.  This is but another failed attempt to be relevant. 
    Posted by painter

Couldn't disagree with you more. I agree that Ray Fitzgerald is the best. Numero uno. No question. Gammons was very good with the Globe {though I didn't like him at all when he became " professorial" with ESPN. Every time he spoke people acted as though they were in church.} Except for Fitzgerald though, I'd put Shaughnessy ahead of any of them. Ryan was good when he was the Celtic beat reporter but I don't know what happened to Bob. I think he's become a bit of a "shill" as he's gotten older. Leigh Montville was good. As for Holley and Vissar and Jackie McMullan and those types? They couldn't hold Shaughnessy's pen.

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts