Sheed for Posey?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Sheed for Posey?

I like the optimism around Posey. I really do think he's lost a step though. Chemistry returning to an old situation is rarely good. Most players don't want to go back in time in that sense - though fans on this message board love it and want to reunite Posey, Eddie House, and PJ Brown. But time marches on. 

Having said that, if Ainge can pull it off and Posey comes in and plays well, I'll give my first round of props to BiasLewis for seeing something I did not.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

How could we give Sheed 4.6M on a deal when all we can offer is $1.6M? I don't think it can jump to $4.6M even in multiple years but I could be wrong. Does the first year just have to be $1.6M? I would think alot of teams would backload deals if that was the case.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Sheed for Posey?:
    In Response to Re: Sheed for Posey? : http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4675879/battier-eh Take Battier off the table ... Houston GM not willing to trade him as they intend to go for it until the lockout.
    Posted by Mployee8

Well that is depressing

but I guess Battier is the kind of guy who will not complain about only playing 18-20 mins a game behind Ariza/Martin in a contract year...

If I was their owner I'd hold onto him too. Then again, you could possibly get the same PER from 20-24 minutes of Budinger and Jared Jeffries (solid defender, also in a contract year), over Battier. In my hypotherical we also give Houston a 1st rd pick.

Since they are way over the lux tax, a Sheed for Battier swap allows for:

- the better development of a very promising '09 1st rd pick in Budinger
    - a savings of 10 MILLION
    - a future draft pick in the mid 20's.

Not bad if production from the bench is a wash.

But go for it I guess for it, bury the 2nd year shooter/athlete on the bench, squeeze a class act like Shane into less mins than he deserves and not give a dang about that 10 million you coulda saved as you go for a title

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

Posey is no longer the player we remember.  He is a step slower on defense than when he played for the Celtics.  This last season he shot 36.5% overall and 33.5% from the three-point line - way below his career averages.  He was also well below his career averages in offensive rebounds, steals, blocks and points.  Danny has been proven correct in not matching New Orlean's four year contract offer two years ago.  With Sheed's contract, the Celtics can do much better than an over-priced substitute whose productivity is declining. 
    Posted by jerrycole

I agree with you... Posey has slowed down a lot in the past few years....I hope we can do better than this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Sheed for Posey? : the 4.6 goes on next years payroll and it is understood that he retires next year or we buy him out.........
    Posted by damfuno

I don't think it works that way

He can only get a raise of 120% like Nate and Daniels got

if he retired and came back at 1.6m, we could only offer him like 1.9 next year. He could certainly retire again, and we can work a buyout of even that entire 1.9. 

Are you saying we give him a huge chunk of our future MLE, then he retires AGAIN, and when we negotiate the buyout we basically give him like 80% of it?

Sheed should help the team and be traded then retire ASAP, saving some other club a lot of money and landing us a good bench player.

If he wants to return for one last shot at a ring in Feb/March... and actually sees a chance to get mins and contribute here (wouldn't South Beach and their sh!t frontcourt beyond Bosh make sense over KG-Baby-Perk-O'Neal?) he can come back then for the pro-rated vet min.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Sheed for Posey? : I agree with you... Posey has slowed down a lot in the past few years....I hope we can do better than this.
    Posted by CASox

Well what do you suggest?

Posey played 6 games last April and averaged 21.7 mins, 6.7 points, 3.7 reb's, 1.5 ast's, 1.3 steals, a 3 steal game, a block in 4 of the 6 games, 44% FG, 43% 3FG, 83% FT.

Those kind of #'s are fine with me as our 6th man. MORE THAN FINE!

On March 29th he went 3-5 with 13 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 block in 28 mins in a 2 point win over the Lakers. Looks like he still got up to play them!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

All kidding aside, Posey would still be very good here. We CANNOT let our big 3, or Jermaine O'Neal play big mins. I do expect KG and O'Neal to be better players than they were during the past two seasons. It is Allen/Pierce I want to see rested more. 

Marquis back is a start, but NO WAY should that mean no Posey type trade. Daniels is good, if healthy, but he proved he can't play big SF's or hit 3's. We need that BAD.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Start the season with this:

C - Jermaine O'Neal 28 mins, Baby 20 mins
    PF - KG 28 mins, Baby 12 mins, Harangody 8 mins
    SF - Pierce 26 mins, Posey 22 mins
    SG - Allen 28 mins, Marquis 14 mins, Pierce 6 mins
    PG - Rondo 34 mins, Nate 14 mins

That keeps everyone rested and is still a 10 man rotation ready win 2 of 3 games and battle for a top 4 seed in the East

Playoffs:

C - Perk 24 mins, O'Neal 24 mins
    PF - KG 32 mins, Baby 16 mins
    SF - Pierce 24 mins, Posey 24 mins
    SG - Ray 36 mins, Pierce 12 mins
    PG - Rondo 40 mins, Nate 8 mins

Now that is a title team IMO

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

Start the season with this: C - Jermaine O'Neal 28 mins, Baby 20 mins PF - KG 28 mins, Baby 12 mins, Harangody 8 mins SF - Pierce 26 mins, Posey 22 mins SG - Allen 28 mins, Marquis 14 mins, Pierce 6 mins PG - Rondo 34 mins, Nate 14 mins That keeps everyone rested and is still a 10 man rotation ready win 2 of 3 games and battle for a top 4 seed in the East Playoffs: C - Perk 24 mins, O'Neal 24 mins PF - KG 32 mins, Baby 16 mins SF - Pierce 24 mins, Posey 24 mins SG - Ray 36 mins, Pierce 12 mins PG - Rondo 40 mins, Nate 8 mins Now that is a title team IMO
    Posted by rameakap

Yeah, but that leaves us weak at the center position. JON might play well, but Big Baby is waaaay too undersized for the bigger, longer centers in the league.

Bigger teams would CRUSH us. We need Sheed back badly, he's longer and a better defender against Gasol.

Perk might not be the same when he returns by mid season, so Danny needs to address the backup center spot quick!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Well i'm fine taking 4 mins from O'Neal, 8 from Baby and 8 from Harangody and giving 20 mins to Sheed. 

Then we still just lack the big SF we need with no way to get him. Baby and sign Scal (3 million) in a trade to New Orleans for Posey?

Thing is Ainge said Sheed is serious about retiring. He was serious about not playing hard in the regular season a year ago anyhow, why would that change if we begged his return?

Between the dumb punch ain a cab injury and working his way back into shape, the offense, etc. it took Baby a long time to regain his '09 form last year. But by the playoffs he was again a beast. If he comes into a contract year on that same high, in a little better shape, I can justify giving him time at C. I would simply NEVER have him at the 5 with Harnagody at the 4. Always have him on the court with one of KG or JON. That will mask the issue against most teams out there.

Who are the tall Centers left we can bring in to fit into our pre Feb rotation over more mins for O'Neal and Baby? We only face Gasol 1-2x before Perk is back. If he is expected on the court end of January then can't we expect just the 24 mins I have him down for and some solid defense come the end of April when it starts to matter?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

Well i'm fine taking 4 mins from O'Neal, 8 from Baby and 8 from Harangody and giving 20 mins to Sheed.  Then we still just lack the big SF we need with no way to get him. Baby and sign Scal (3 million) in a trade to New Orleans for Posey? Thing is Ainge said Sheed is serious about retiring. He was serious about not playing hard in the regular season a year ago anyhow, why would that change if we begged his return? Between the dumb punch ain a cab injury and working his way back into shape, the offense, etc. it took Baby a long time to regain his '09 form last year. But by the playoffs he was again a beast. If he comes into a contract year on that same high, in a little better shape, I can justify giving him time at C. I would simply NEVER have him at the 5 with Harnagody at the 4. Always have him on the court with one of KG or JON. That will mask the issue against most teams out there. Who are the tall Centers left we can bring in to fit into our pre Feb rotation over more mins for O'Neal and Baby? We only face Gasol 1-2x before Perk is back. If he is expected on the court end of January then can't we expect just the 24 mins I have him down for and some solid defense come the end of April when it starts to matter?
    Posted by rameakap

I don't know who's left, but I JUST read the Lakers just signed veteran big man Theo Ratliff.

I just feel Miami and L.A. are getting better with decent signings, and we're pretty much staying pat.

Just not looking good for the Celts right now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Eh

Theo was worth the 1.3 million LA gave him, that was all we could have offered as well, where was he supposed to go?

He was a 49 game 15 min 3 point 3 reb 1 block guy at age 37... what is he going to be this year

Yes I'd have been happier with him taking Harangody's 8 mins, putting Baby at PF 75% of the time

but really, we need a wing who can defend big 3's more than we need backup Center right now

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Marquis Daniels is back so trading for Posey isn't really going to happen. 
    Posted by Fierce34

Even though we resigned Daniels, we still need another player at this position.  I really wish that we could have resigned TA.  It is very unfortunate that this didn't happen. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

Great Idea get Posey back..that team is loaded with heavy contracts..the hell with Matt Barnes he is a punk a different team every year..good luck on the Lakers..I would rather have Shannon Browne

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

In Response to Re: Sheed for Posey? : I don't know who's left, but I JUST read the Lakers just signed veteran big man Theo Ratliff. I just feel Miami and L.A. are getting better with decent signings, and we're pretty much staying pat. Just not looking good for the Celts right now.
    Posted by Waynestarr

Wow Theo Ratliff is a good signing? ....wow  Juwon Howard?, Ilgauskas? Wow, wow, bow-wow,back of the bench fodder far less than JON each of them.

Barnes was a good....Sign and trade, which Orlando did with LA. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

The man is now 33 years old. Just like PP, KG and RA, Posey just isn't the same player he was in 2007-2008.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

In Response to Re: Sheed for Posey? : Well what do you suggest? Posey played 6 games last April and averaged 21.7 mins, 6.7 points, 3.7 reb's, 1.5 ast's, 1.3 steals, a 3 steal game, a block in 4 of the 6 games, 44% FG, 43% 3FG , 83% FT. Those kind of #'s are fine with me as our 6th man. MORE THAN FINE! On March 29th he went 3-5 with 13 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 block in 28 mins in a 2 point win over the Lakers. Looks like he still got up to play them!
    Posted by rameakap

I'm sure those cherries you just picked taste great, but the reality is that Posey shot shot 36% overall and 33% from the 3-point line for the SEASON.  Those numbers are simply terrible. 

In addition, his offensive rebounding, steals and blocks were all down significantly from his career average.  Those are all indications of a player who has slowed down - which anyone who watched him play last year should have easily noticed.

Maybe it's a case of his not fitting well into the New Orleans system - but the much more likely explanation is that his game has declined from when he was in Boston - just as Danny expected when he declined to give Posey an extra two years.

Posey is not the answer.  Give it up. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Sheed for Posey? : I'm sure those cherries you just picked taste great, but the reality is that Posey shot shot 36% overall and 33% from the 3-point line for the SEASON.  Those numbers are simply terrible.  In addition, his offensive rebounding, steals and blocks were all down significantly from his career average.  Those are all indications of a player who has slowed down - which anyone who watched him play last year should have easily noticed. Maybe it's a case of his not fitting well into the New Orleans system - but the much more likely explanation is that his game has declined from when he was in Boston - just as Danny expected when he declined to give Posey an extra two years. Posey is not the answer.  Give it up. 
    Posted by jerrycole

I would bet that you are wrong

Over the entire season he was worse than in '08. Sure. A season of front office turmoil, an injured superstar, the completion of a collapse from top 3-4 team in the West to a lotto club andf a fired head coach.

That is all beyond your idea about his not fitting the system

Yes I picked some cherries, but they were his last 7-8 games... they may only have been 10% of his season, but they showed he was not tired and old as you implied as the season came to an end. He will no doubt be 85-90% of the player he was at age 31 at 33-34. But that is better than what else is out there until i am told otherwise.

Less then 4 months ago he had a great game, same as many in '08, against the Lakers when his team was already eliminated from playoff contention. Did not many of our 30 somethings raise their games in the playoffs when they were trying for something?

I will take Pose for Sheed anyday of the week. I'd prefer Battier or Josh Howard (although the injury concerns me). But you have yet to offer better ideas as I asked. We NEED a long 3 who can guard SF's and give Pierce a break. 

'Quis is a solid regular season option. Give PP 32 mins, Ray 28, Posey 20 and Daniels 16 over 82 and everyone stays rested and we still compete for a top 4 seed. Then give Pierce 38, Ray 34 and Posey 24 come playoff time. That is how it is done. His contract does not run past '12, which is what DA is looking for right now. He's just as good a 6m option over 2 yrs @ SF as O'Neal is @ C. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

Well he would work out a buyout and get something to compensate the VM he'd be getting from the C's. If he was bought out for $2M, then got $1.6M (whatever the VM is) and the C's may even allow him to jump on board come Feb.
    Posted by BiasLewis

It's not that far fetched and I could see this happen because didn't PJ Brown do the same thing in 2008? In the meantime, maybe we could take a flyer on Kwame. You would just have to hope that Posey still has the wheels and that the Hornets would indeed buyout Sheed.